I disagree on PFF's #95 ranking on Elijah Hicks

1,459 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Big C
BearsorCubs
How long do you want to ignore this user?
This is where I think it's a CAL or Pac-12 thing, guys help me out on this one. At the end, does it matter?

https://www.pff.com/news/college-football-101-best-players-college-football-2021
wifeisafurd
BearsorCubs said:

This is where I think it's a CAL or Pac-12 thing, guys help me out on this one. At the end, does it matter?

https://www.pff.com/news/college-football-101-best-players-college-football-2021
No it doesn't matter. It is all about his analytics and film, at the next level. Everyone at the next level has their own internal rating system.
Big C

Are you saying he should be higher? I don't know, he had a very very good last 3/4 of the season. If he is 95th overall, that's like "5th team All-America", right? That's really good, isn't it?
wifeisafurd
I also disagree with some of their ratings; I take a healthy Thibodeaux before Hutchinson. He is the better athlete with the more upside. Assuming London is healthy I see him as a top 10 pick, if not top 5.
AXLBear
BearsorCubs said:

What would you know about nfl scouting?
calumnus
There are roughly 9,000 college football players, so to be named #95 is high praise.

We were the #60 team. If every team above us also has a good or great player, with the very best (as will play tonight) having 2 or 3 (and likely far more) then you can see that being #95 is a great honor.

Because it includes underclassmen they are probably projecting him as a 2nd round draft pick, which would be fantastic.

Remember, we did not have anyone named to the preseason All-Pac-12 team. He leapfrogged a lot of good players.
BearsorCubs
You guys are right, My first knee-jerk reaction sometimes is not the best…. After reevaluating the safeties on this list, he is the number five safety overall
GMP
Big C said:

Are you saying he should be higher? I don't know, he had a very very good last 3/4 of the season. If he is 95th overall, that's like "5th team All-America", right? That's really good, isn't it?

And if you filter out guys who are not eligible for the draft, this is likely an early 3rd round grade - which would be a very good spot for him.
BearsorCubs
3rd round would be great, but he is not even invited to the combine yet…..
wifeisafurd
AXLBear said:

BearsorCubs said:

What would you know about nfl scouting?
Most of my knowledge on professional league scouting is based on reading Michael Lewis. Both Moneyball and The Undoing Process are great reads on the subject. Also had one relative that went through the combine and interview process (a head shaker).
Big C

Let's keep in mind that this is another PFF list, based on their specific metrics. And even though the "P" in PFF stands for Pro, I don't believe they are stating that these are the best pro prospects, or that this is any sort of draft prediction. They are just saying -- correct me if I'm wrong -- that these players had the top 95 performances in 2021, regardless of position.
Oski87
Their write up said he was the #3 safety, with all around quality in both run and pass. If you need a safety, it seems like he will be in the top 3. That makes sense to me. My guess is second or third round.

Also - great to see Ashton Davis start to get a lot more work and doing great on the Jets.
Big C
Oski87 said:

Their write up said he was the #3 safety, with all around quality in both run and pass. If you need a safety, it seems like he will be in the top 3. That makes sense to me. My guess is second or third round.

Also - great to see Ashton Davis start to get a lot more work and doing great on the Jets.

We will see his 40 times. I'm guessing 4.50-4.55. I see him going later in the draft, but I'd rather you be right than me.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.