Is this allowed at CMS? U$C to host nascar short track exhibition at coliseum

1,898 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by bearister
ColoradoBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
https://ftw.usatoday.com/lists/nascar-clash-la-coliseum-photos-contruction-short-track

Would be a great way to stick it to the cob and Hill people. I think amplified concerts are not allowed at CMS, but there can be a few full capacity sporting events - maybe every other year? So far it's just been that soccer match with the trucked in but jacked up natural grass field. A lot of the governing docs regarding CMS used to be available and easily doing using Google, now they are hidden somewhere and my old bookmarks are broken.

A race or a monster truck jam would be about the same amount of noise I guess.
calumnus
USC to host? USC does not own the LA Coliseum.
bearister
The Panoramic Hill Association has already submitted a petition to the university approving of such a use including Monster Jam events (provided the events start after 9 pm).

PHA Board Members enjoying an outing to The Big Game
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
71Bear
calumnus said:

USC holds the master lease to the facility. They control what events take place there.
okaydo

calpoly
ColoradoBear said:

https://ftw.usatoday.com/lists/nascar-clash-la-coliseum-photos-contruction-short-track

Would be a great way to stick it to the cob and Hill people. I think amplified concerts are not allowed at CMS, but there can be a few full capacity sporting events - maybe every other year? So far it's just been that soccer match with the trucked in but jacked up natural grass field. A lot of the governing docs regarding CMS used to be available and easily doing using Google, now they are hidden somewhere and my old bookmarks are broken.

Interesting that you spend you spare time trying to find a way to "stick it" to the City of Berkeley and the people that live near the stadium.
Oski87
calumnus said:

I think they have the entire lease for 99 years, and were able to do the remodel based on that. Something like that anyway - I think they have control of the coliseum.
Big C

The Coliseum field has a track around it and so has significantly more field space. Probably not enough space in CMS.

But how about one of those monster truck rallies? The trucks could come roaring out of North Tunnel!
KoreAmBear
ColoradoBear said:

This could fulfill the dream of the Monster Trucks at Sproul party. I may have voted for them.
ColoradoBear
Big C said:

The Coliseum field has a track around it and so has significantly more field space. Probably not enough space in CMS.

But how about one of those monster truck rallies? The trucks could come roaring out of North Tunnel!

The track was removed and field lowered in 1993.
going4roses
Interesting
Tell someone you love them and try to have a good day
Big C
ColoradoBear said:

Big C said:

Shows the last time I was there! (I saw T & F at the LA Olympics in '84 and must've been to a Cal game some time after that.) Did they put more seating closer up, where the track used to be?
Golden One
Big C said:

ColoradoBear said:

Big C said:

Shows the last time I was there! (I saw T & F at the LA Olympics in '84 and must've been to a Cal game some time after that.) Did they put more seating closer up, where the track used to be?
Yes.
XXXBEAR
I believe anything other than football is extremely limited at CMS by the terms of the agreement with surrounding inhabitants. Noise, lights, parking, crowds, etc.
Big C
XXXBEAR said:

I believe anything other than football is extremely limited at CMS by the terms of the agreement with surrounding inhabitants. Noise, lights, parking, crowds, etc.

Isn't that the whole point?
ColoradoBear
https://news.berkeley.edu/2010/04/08/stadium/

Cap is for two additional events with over 30k spectators until 2025, of which the soccer match was one. Also a cap on 10k+ events are 9 in any three year period and 4 in a year. No idea what rules would even apply after 2025.

(Football and graduation are exempted).

While the absurdity of a auto race at CMS would be hilarious, there is nowhere near enough money to be made by any events held at CMS to risk other project at Cal being impacted. At the same time, it seems that small people will just sue over new construction under CEQA whether UC has been a good neighbor on past projects or not.
bearister
Gladiator events scheduled for 2024 at Oakland Coliseum.

Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.