Four PAC-12 RB's enter the portal…

7,418 Views | 57 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Blueblood
71Bear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Jarek Broussard - Colorado
Nathaniel Peat - Stanford
Austin Jones - Stanford
Travis Dye - Oregon

NVBear78
Wow, Travis Dye plus the top two Furdies
Bobodeluxe
No' money, mo' money, mo' money.

Go laundry!
joe amos yaks
71Bear said:

Jarek Broussard - Colorado
Nathaniel Peat - Stanford
Austin Jones - Stanford
Travis Dye - Oregon
I'll take RB Travis Dye.
"Those who say don't know, and those who know don't say." - LT
Dgoldnbaer
Beggars can't be choosy - I'll take 1 of the 4!
Blueblood
(Uh oh! Here comes the rain on the transfer portal parade!)

I some how don't think any of these RBs are thinking of coming to Cal as their prime driver for moving on...
jy1988
The Portal and NIL have finally transformed CFB into something I don't much care for.
Big C
jy1988 said:

The Portal and NIL have finally transformed CFB into something I don't much care for.

Same here. The players will have their freedoms to go wherever they want, whenever they want, and get paid whatever they can. The fans will have their freedom to not really give a crap as much as they used to.
wifeisafurd
Bobodeluxe said:

No' money, mo' money, mo' money.

Go laundry!
Peat supposedly is gong to Okie State. Lot's of rumors on Jones, one which includes Cal. Not exactly consistent with Cal's desire to get young speedsters like Ott playing time. Lots of rooster juggling coming. Not sure what the story is with Dye - good running back and I assume Oregon pays top dollars .
evanluck
jy1988 said:

Although I understand what you are saying I feel like both of these things involve a minority of the student athletes that actually participate in the games.

In the end I feel like the portal at least should be good for Cal. The way recruiting dynamics play out the tops teams end of being stacked with talent that they can't actually utilize. It is better for this talent to be able to change to schools and teams where they have a chance to play and make a bigger impact.

Once we get set up properly from a recruiting standpoint both of these initiatives can help Cal get to a place of consistently better on field results. Where we go after we get to that level is where the crisis of conscience and identity can come into play. But journey from where we are now to a place of dependably having a winning conference record can be aided by both NIL and the transfer portal.
kal kommie
jy1988 said:

The portal and NIL only bother me to the extent that they're anti-competitive within the sport (to whatever extent that's true...it remains to be seen). The player freedom of mobility itself is something I'm happy to see, as is the ability of players to finally get paid at a level commensurate with the value they're brining to this multi-billion dollar industry.

What I don't care for is the corporatization of the gameday experience (especially the rise of the canned music displacing bands), the absurd game times, the diminishing of traditional rivalries (and accompanying superconference era), the death of the old bowl system (which was much more fun than the new playoff era for several reasons, not the least because of what the Rose Bowl used to be), and the proliferation of the subscriber-model team message boards.

For all of those reasons the sport was simply much more fun 20 years ago and they have nothing to do with players being able to seek opportunities at other programs or get paid (above board).
oski003
Can we raise 500k for Travis Dye? Is that enough for one year?
71Bear
Big C said:

jy1988 said:

Same here. The players will have their freedoms to go wherever they want, whenever they want, and get paid whatever they can. The fans will have their freedom to not really give a crap as much as they used to.
While it is still far too early to fully understand the long-term impact of the recent changes to college football, I suspect the number of hard-core college football fans who approve of the current situation outnumber those who don't. Only time will tell whether they are right. In the meantime, I love the upheaval. Finally, the players have rights and are clearly exercising them.
JB was a Chieftain
Question…. Is the transfer portal a one time deal or can you use it every off season?
LessMilesMoreTedford
Big C said:

jy1988 said:

Top players have been getting paid whatever they can for decades now, it's just out in the open.
wifeisafurd
Funny thing, it the short run, Cal which is not a big NIL play, is improving its roster quite nicely this year using the Portal. It may be that compensation just is one of several factors . For example, Slovis is going to a great passing offensive loaded with WR talent for a trip to the NFL. Other players are going to places where their girlfriends attend.

I suspect long run top talent will go to the highest paying teams, and the portal will be a devise for those players desiring to either step-up to the big paying leagues, or to step down to pursue academics, better fits or other reasons to step down. Perhaps an instrument of "social mobility" for college football.
WalterSobchak
JB was a Chieftain said:

Question…. Is the transfer portal a one time deal or can you use it every off season?
They can use it as many times as they want but only get 1 pre-grad transfer without sitting out a year.

I'm not clear if they still get to grad transfer without sitting out though. I assume they do.
Oski87
WalterSobchak said:

JB was a Chieftain said:

They can use it as many times as they want but only get 1 pre-grad transfer without sitting out a year.

I'm not clear if they still get to grad transfer without sitting out though. I assume they do.

They do get to do a grad transfer as well. Not sure if Austin Jones will have graduated.
Big C

wifeisafurd, have you heard if Jones will be leaving with a Furd diploma?
calumnus
evanluck said:

jy1988 said:

Although I understand what you are saying I feel like both of these things involve a minority of the student athletes that actually participate in the games.

In the end I feel like the portal at least should be good for Cal. The way recruiting dynamics play out the tops teams end of being stacked with talent that they can't actually utilize. It is better for this talent to be able to change to schools and teams where they have a chance to play and make a bigger impact.

Once we get set up properly from a recruiting standpoint both of these initiatives can help Cal get to a place of consistently better on field results. Where we go after we get to that level is where the crisis of conscience and identity can come into play. But journey from where we are now to a place of dependably having a winning conference record can be aided by both NIL and the transfer portal.

I agree. I think Cal has potential to utilize its comparative advantages to be one of the top teams in the PAC-12, finishing most years in the upper half with an occasional great team that can get to the CFP with a shot at some upsets.

We can have a solid corps of good players who are borderline NFL and are smart enough to value the degree. Then we can have a few stars who become Bay Area icons and get paid good money for it through NIL. Transfer portal brings in some of both, from other P5 teams or from high performers at lower levels.

I don't think you get there as a defense first team, you need to be able to score big to attract star QBs, RBs and WRs AND play decent defense (especially focused on takeaways).
wifeisafurd
Big C said:

Good question, Seems unlikely. Both Peat and Jones are juniors who played in their first season. Given 2020, they would have 2 years of eligibility. Jones made some post-season academic teams.
Big C
wifeisafurd said:

Big C said:

Good question, Seems unlikely. Both Peat and Jones are juniors who played in their first season. Given 2020, they would have 2 years of eligibility. Jones made some post-season academic teams.

Not that he cares what I think, but he should've stayed another year, gotten the diploma, then grad transferred.

Furd Football under Shaw these days must be near intolerable.
PtownBear1
oski003 said:

Someone want to start the crowdfunding campaign? I know I'd chip in if the campaign is setup so that funds are returned in the event that the target isn't acquired.
concernedparent
Big C said:

wifeisafurd said:

Big C said:

Not that he cares what I think, but he should've stayed another year, gotten the diploma, then grad transferred.

It's not inconcievable though. Smart kid, easy classes, 2 summer sessions, probably has some APs under his belt.
NVBear78
Big C said:

wifeisafurd said:

Big C said:

Still can't understand how he had such a good recruiting class!?!
hanky1
I think the portal will end up hurting Furd more than any other school. Players will leave but they'll have a hard time getting people to transfer in.
wifeisafurd
concernedparent said:

Big C said:

wifeisafurd said:

Big C said:

It's not inconcievable though. Smart kid, easy classes, 2 summer sessions, probably has some APs under his belt.
to be clear I really don't know the situation. Just graduating in 3 years and playing football is not an easy thing to do.
Golden One
kal kommie said:

What I don't care for is the corporatization of the gameday experience (especially the rise of the canned music displacing bands), the absurd game times, the diminishing of traditional rivalries (and accompanying superconference era), the death of the old bowl system (which was much more fun than the new playoff era for several reasons, not the least because of what the Rose Bowl used to be), and the proliferation of the subscriber-model team message boards.

I completely agree!
GivemTheAxe
evanluck said:

jy1988 said:

I agree with your conclusion that overall the process
Is to Cal's benefit.
In the olden days when players could not change teams, once the recruits signed on they were stuck for life or had many impediments to leaving.
That meant the big name football colleges could bottle up top talent sometimes 2 or three deep in every position. This insuring themselves of the ability to stay the top dogs.
Now highly rated recruits who are at the 2d or 3d string positions who don't feel they are getting enough playing time can move to other schools. The top football schools will keep the 5* players. But the 4* players will move to lesser schools.
Overall the general movement is better for schools in Cal's position.
The fact that the players can move earlier than they could before also allows these players to have 2-3 years of eligibility remaining at their new school
59bear
evanluck said:

jy1988 said:

For the same reasons that Cal has trouble recruiting at the primary (HS, JC) levels it is unlikely to strike gold in the portal. Cal is not a perennial top 25 team let alone a consistent conference or national title contender. Its football program is largely an afterthought for the majority of its student/faculty/alumni constituency and there is no large, influential non-affiliated fan base. The schools that have traditionally reaped the best of the talent pool will continue to be attractive to disgruntled 5 stars and the cream of the crop will be "traded" around the top dozen or so programs so that "stacking" won't disappear as much as reshuffle But dream on, as I do, that the occasional Russell White, Andre Carter, Kyle Boller, Aaron Rodgers, Marshwn Lynch or Javid Best will continue to find a way to Berkeley to brighten our Saturdays. Over time, I think the free agency we're seeing may be good for top end talent, of little value to the vast majority of athletes with no pro potential and catastrophic for non-revenue sports that are not abundantly donor funded. The super conference that will suck up TV/Bowl revenues is on the horizon and Cal isn't likely to make the cut.
Rushinbear
NVBear78 said:

Big C said:

wifeisafurd said:

Big C said:

Still can't understand how he had such a good recruiting class!?!
I have the same ??? Money?
wifeisafurd
News is Tevis graduated in 3 years and is going to Indiana to use his two remaining yeas of eligibility to get a MBA.Wondering if Jones is the same way? When you recruit good students, you get different motivations sometimes.
remb8888
jy1988 said:

Amen to that.
oski003
PtownBear1 said:

oski003 said:

Someone want to start the crowdfunding campaign? I know I'd chip in if the campaign is setup so that funds are returned in the event that the target isn't acquired.

We start a business called CALFUNDme. It operates within Go Fund Me and the recipient of the money would be obligated to promote CALFUNDme by occasionally wearing swag. If the recipient does not attend Cal, he neither gets paid nor has an obligation to promote CALFUNDme.

Is that above board enough to pass NCAA muster?
Bobodeluxe
Why not just use existing technology to insert the viewers selected uniforms on the two dimensional figures on the screen? You only need a few high quality teams playing each week, and every home viewer gets to see their favorite laundry win a national championship every year.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.