Kelly signs contract extension….

2,555 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by bluehenbear
71Bear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
https://pac-12.com/article/2022/01/14/head-football-coach-chip-kelly-signs-new-four-year-contract
Econ141
I think people on this board underestimate what he is doing down there. Yes it has taken time but each year has been improvement.

With USC on the presumed rise, it will lift all boats but especially UCLA. If that happens, recruits will flock to a good coach despite that coach not being a premier recruiter.

We are not going to beat them for years to come.
grrrah76
It is rare for the Bears to win in Southern California anyway. We usually play them much better at home. Kelly really benefited in 2021 with the transfer portal to make up for his lack of recruiting skills. Despite their 8-4 record, Kelly's record against teams with winning records is pretty pathetic (something like 3-17 over the last 4 years).

The key for ucla for the next few years will be who they get for the Defensive Coordinator. It is also interesting that Kelly is making less in 2022 than in 2021 and ucla has some real money issues.

Go Bears
calumnus
grrrah76 said:

It is rare for the Bears to win in Southern California anyway. We usually play them much better at home. Kelly really benefited in 2021 with the transfer portal to make up for his lack of recruiting skills. Despite their 8-4 record, Kelly's record against teams with winning records is pretty pathetic (something like 3-17 over the last 4 years).

The key for ucla for the next few years will be who they get for the Defensive Coordinator. It is also interesting that Kelly is making less in 2022 than in 2021 and ucla has some real money issues.

Go Bears

I understand they are trying to bring in Lake.
burritos
fat_slice said:

I think people on this board underestimate what he is doing down there. Yes it has taken time but each year has been improvement.

With USC on the presumed rise, it will lift all boats but especially UCLA. If that happens, recruits will flock to a good coach despite that coach not being a premier recruiter.

Does this rise continue with the loss of DTR.
Econ141
burritos said:

fat_slice said:

Does this rise continue with the loss of DTR.

Both DTR and Charbonnet are returning - again a reflection that their head coach is doing something right.
Marty
DTR is returning, so they'll have an experienced QB, as well as a potential 1st team all conference RB in Charbonnet, who is also returning. The bruins do continue to improve, and I doubt they would have been able to do better than Kelly in terms of a replacement at this point in the recruiting cycle. Probably a good move to re-up with him, and good for UCLA's budget that he apparently took a pay cut. IMO that doesn't automatically make them any sort of favorite though, even in their division. There is still work to be done. If Wilcox can get improvement out of his roster, then I believe Cal can compete with the baby bruins. Yes, they've beaten Cal the last few games, although I hesitate to count the 2020 game as representative, due the the COVID effects on the roster. Cal and UCLA are both underachieving programs with room for improvement. We'll see who can best seize that opportunity in the next few years.
calumnus
Marty said:

DTR is returning, so they'll have an experienced QB, as well as a potential 1st team all conference RB in Charbonnet, who is also returning. The bruins do continue to improve, and I doubt they would have been able to do better than Kelly in terms of a replacement at this point in the recruiting cycle. Probably a good move to re-up with him, and good for UCLA's budget that he apparently took a pay cut. IMO that doesn't automatically make them any sort of favorite though, even in their division. There is still work to be done. If Wilcox can get improvement out of his roster, then I believe Cal can compete with the baby bruins. Yes, they've beaten Cal the last few games, although I hesitate to count the 2020 game as representative, due the the COVID effects on the roster. Cal and UCLA are both underachieving programs with room for improvement. We'll see who can best seize that opportunity in the next few years.

I understand Chip Kelly took a pay cut to beef up his staff.
His new DC will likely be Lake or Pendergast. He recruited well this year even without a contract and his retention in question. They have their Star offensive players back and landed the QB I thought was going to turn around our program. I'd say things look good for them right now.
NVBear78
What year is Charbonnet? Seems odd that he would return as an upper class man RB who has already proven himself?
71Bear
NVBear78 said:

What year is Charbonnet? Seems odd that he would return as an upper class man RB who has already proven himself?
He played as a freshman at Michigan in 2019
2020 doesn't count
He played as a sophomore at UCLA in 2021

So, he has two years of eligibility left (plus a redshirt year, if he needs it).

If he has a productive season in '22, I would expect him to move on after it is over.
calumnus
71Bear said:

NVBear78 said:

He played as a freshman at Michigan in 2019
2020 doesn't count
He played as a sophomore at UCLA in 2021

So, he has two years of eligibility left (plus a redshirt year, if he needs it).

If he has a productive season in '22, I would expect him to move on after it is over.

He split carries with Brown this year. Next year, he will be "the man" and should put up big numbers, gain national recognition and get his UCLA degree in the process.
wifeisafurd
calumnus said:

Marty said:

His new DC will likely be Lake or Pendergast. He recruited well this year even without a contract and his retention in question. They have their Star offensive players back and landed the QB I thought was going to turn around our program. I'd say things look good for them right now.

Seems like the South may the tougher division going forward. Utah is going to be good at lease for another two years, ASU is decent, SC at least has thrown down the gauntlet and should be massively improved in fairly short order and Zona is recruiting way beyond its record. Meanwhile, Usub and Furd seem to be moving the wrong direction, Oregon has to deal with a new coaching staff and increasing player turnover, and OSU and WSU seem to be doing okay, but are they ready for big time? If there ever was a time for Cal to take on advantage of what seems like a weaker division....
calumnus
wifeisafurd said:

calumnus said:

Marty said:

Seems like the South may the tougher division going forward. Utah is going to be good at lease for another two years, ASU is decent, SC at least has thrown down the gauntlet and should be massively improved in fairly short order and Zona is recruiting way beyond its record. Meanwhile, Usub and Furd seem to be moving the wrong direction, Oregon has to deal with a new coaching staff and increasing player turnover, and OSU and WSU seem to be doing okay, but are they ready for big time? If there ever was a time for Cal to take on advantage of what seems like a weaker division....

Oregon is a question mark, but I don't see UW, Stanford, WSU or OSU getting worse. I do agree that the last few years and probably at least one more, was our best window of opportunity.
BearSD
calumnus said:

wifeisafurd said:

calumnus said:

Marty said:

Oregon is a question mark, but I don't see UW, Stanford, WSU or OSU getting worse. I do agree that the last few years and probably at least one more, was our best window of opportunity.
2022 is an opportunity. Oregon has a first-time head coach, a questionable OC, and a transfer QB who has been very inconsistent. Unless the rest of the division improves drastically, they are all beatable.
wifeisafurd
calumnus said:

wifeisafurd said:

calumnus said:

Marty said:

Furd's frosh better be good because the portal is taking their starters. I could see them having a deep rebuilding year notwithstanding a very good QB. I could see Udub also doing worse, with a very small recruiting class and a lot player and coaching turnover. WSU and OSU will be competitive. Will they be division leading competitive, not that sure? I really like what Smith is doing at OSU. WSU seems like a question mark with starters leaving leaving. But there doens't seem to be the depth of strong teams you see developing in the South.
Big C
BearSD said:

calumnus said:

wifeisafurd said:

calumnus said:

Marty said:

2022 is an opportunity. Oregon has a first-time head coach, a questionable OC, and a transfer QB who has been very inconsistent. Unless the rest of the division improves drastically, they are all beatable.

Do you think 2022 is more of an opportunity than 2021 was?
calumnus
Seattle just fired DC Ken Norton, Jr. I'd think Kelly would make an offer to bring him back to his alma mater.
bluehenbear
Has he now been fired twice by Pete? Once in Seattle and once at SC?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.