Great Technical Breakdown of Wilcox-Style 3-4

2,757 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by MinotStateBeav
berk18.2
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Hey all, I found something cool that the X's and O's-minded of you might be into. In the 2019 and 2020 seasons we had a GA named Dante Bartee, who moved to Southern Miss as a defensive analyst for 2021. He's getting a lot of love and being very generous with his time on the football Youtube/clinic circuit, and the stuff that he describes absolutely shows up on tape of the Cal D. Even if you don't like X's and O's, this is a great look at the kind of coach that Wilcox wants to give chances to. Even if you just watch for 10 minutes, you can't help but be impressed by Bartee's knowledge and teaching ability, especially for a young coach. It's like listening to a Cal GSI talking about football. Definitely someone to keep an eye on over the next five years!

7, 8, 9 Man Spacing Run Fits
Defending RPO's with Cover-3
Single High Coverages (from his time at Cal)
berk18.2
By the way, he doesn't mention Weaver, but the first 20 minutes of the 1st video, where he's talking about back-gapping, lays out the X's and O's of how he led the country in tackles in 2019.
chalcidbear
I tried watching a few minutes and was totally at sea after 5 seconds. I'm no saying this guy doesn't know what he's talking about, but one needs to already have a deep knowledge of X's and O's beforehand ... and the fact that the whiteboard in the first video is virtually unreadable doesn't help either.
BearME81
Very nice insight on positions and tactics. Thanks so much for posting.
berk18.2
Very fair! While the videos are definitely meant for people who already know a lot of scheme, they give the chance to talk about a few things that are of general interest. I guess what I would draw out of them for you all is:

(1) Bartee's just an interesting character with a connection to Cal football. I watch a ton of clinic videos, so I was surprised when this guy started showing up all over the place in Cal gear. Diving into his background a bit more, he started coaching on his HS team as a Junior, then became co-DC immediately after graduation, coaching throughout his time in college at ASU. Within two years of graduating college he was a GA under well-respected defensive coaches Wilcox and DeRuyter, despite never having played college ball. For someone who's under 30, he also shows a remarkable understanding of front/run structure, back-end coverage, and the way that they all work together. In this way, he's more advanced than a lot of seasoned position coaches, who might have more expertise in their position. I wouldn't be surprised to see him get a low-level G5 DC position within a few years, and from there we can find out if he can actually gameplan and playcall, but thanks to the internet we can now get this kind of insight into early-career coaches who'd otherwise be invisible, which I find really interesting.

(2) As a historical document, these videos are the fullest treatment that I've seen coming out of the Wilcox coaching tree. It definitely takes some schematic background to get all the juicy stuff out of them, but these videos are exciting to me because they either confirm or clarify a lot of things that you'd otherwise only have to guess at from watching tape. Within the coaching/X's and O's community Wilcox is highly-respected and often mentioned in the same breath as Dave Aranda, and together the two of them represent a school of defense that came out of the MWC just as the spread was starting to take over college football, and a lot of their stuff has since made it into the mainstream. For example, early in the video Bartee talks about the "Mint" front, which for him is a 5-man box with three pinched DL and two ILB's, with two overhang players (NB/OLB) lined up out wide to either side. Wilcox was using hybrid DE/OLB/NB personnel to get into this look all the way back at Boise back in 2009, and elements of this have since become trendy with the hyper-light boxes coming out of the Big-12 (Iowa State, Todd Orlando), as well as with Kirby Smart doing a lot of really cool things with it in his Georgia defense (though Smart developed a lot of this independently, as an off-shoot of the base Saban defense).

(3) This gives good insight into what players have to know to "know the playbook." A lot of this stuff is just Week 1 install material, which is pretty intense to think about. It gives a lot of appreciation for what they have to do as full-time student athletes. Also, with the way that Bartee talks about the game, and assuming that that's generally the kind of person Wilcox wants on his staff, it's easy to see how you get guys like Bynum, Davis, Hawkins, and Beck being as smart as they were, and running film sessions in their apartment. It's just part of the culture that Wilcox creates by having sharp, cerebral coaches like himself. Gerald Alexander is another example of a guy like this who naturally gravitated toward Wilcox, and has been highly respected in his time at Miami. That's not to say that other kinds of assistants/staffs can't be successful; it's just the personality of a Wilcox team.
RonO
Berk, check your PMs.
RonO
MinotStateBeav
Hey Berk want to show you another channel. This video, guy breaks down packers attacking the 49ers and how the niners countered. But his explanation is fantastic, really goes into WHY people run the ball.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.