Cal Rugby- Storer Classic Champs and observations

1,019 Views | 4 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by TomBear
TomBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Cal Rugby opened up the 15s season nicely, going undefeated in the Dennis Storer Classic at UC(la) this past weekend. The Bears played 3 games, and as usual, Coach Clark mixed his lineups with the intention of giving players experience and opportunities to earn positions. The bears finished up this afternoon with a match against the hometown UC(la) Bruins, and defeated them 38-8,

Cal has some impressibe young talent that was on display during the first two games. In the past several years, I remember mentioning that the Bear backs were guilty of a lot of knock-ons early in the season. Not so this weekend. Not only did the Bears distribute the ball well, but it seems to me that they have opened up the offense some this year. Tackling, as usual, was very solid. Conditioning is never a problem with the Bears. And it seems to me that, from what I could hear, on field communication is pretty solid. The kicking game looks very encouraging, with a number of difficult angle and lengthy kicks succesfully made. By the end of the match today, the Cal forwards were pushing the Bruins around pretty good. The one concern I have coming away from this tournament, (and remembering that it's early in the season), is the forward defensive lineout play. I don't recall the Bears being able to spoil a lot of throw ins. And I don't see the explosive speed that we have had in the past. It's certainly adequate, just in the first two days it seems not as prevalent as I expected. But this team, as always, looks very solid, well coached, and poised for a really great season.

As a sidebar, the two teams that impressed me in terms of improvement were Cal Poly and the University of Oregon! Cal Poly looks bigger and more athletic than I remember in the last 4-5 years. They played agressive, and look poised to improve their overall national standing. And Oregon!! Oregon went 2-1, losing only to Cal Poly today. I've never seen Oregon participate in the Storer, but they came in with something to prove off of their impressive performance in the 7s tourney at Berkeley. They tackled really well. They brought intensity. And they did some nice things offensively that I didn't expect to see from them. If they ever get their resources together and can get a few more bodies, mark my words they will be a force in the next 3-5 years. Very impressed with them.

So......next up for Cal is Santa Clara, followed by UCSB (both at Witter). Then, one of the best schedules I've seen starts with their scheduled match against British Columbia at home. As I posted a couple of weeks ago, the schedule this year is really good, inculding BYU, Arizona, Grand Canyon (an up and coming program that represents really well), Utah, and the season finale against St. Mary's at Witter.

So, bring it!!!!!

chalcidbear
Thanks for the report. I remember Cal Poly being pretty good a decade or two ago.
TomBear
They're hungry and poised. They may be ready to turn a corner.
YamhillBear
Thanks as always TomBear. Very promising start to the season. So am I seeing right that we'll only play UBC once (at Witter)? I'm guessing due to COVID?

Nice to hear the comments about UO --- being that I live in Oregon, would love to see the Bears up here some day!
TomBear
Yamhill, the World Cup matches against UBC are typically home and home affairs. The first of the two scheduled matches is scheduled for 2/5 at Witter, with the second of the two scheduled for one week later up in Canada. Here's the rub........covid could have some affect on both matches. I don't know the UBC covid protocols, nor do I know what's going on between the two countries in terms of travel restrictions. But I know I was hoping to travel up to Canada for the second match and I've withdrawn my plans due to uncertainty about circumstances regarding the virus. I hope the matches come off OK, but as with everything else involving normality, I'm not counting on anything.

As for U of O rugby: If I were an aspiring coach, I'd look at Oregon as a terrific opportunity. From my limited conversation with one of their captains over the weekend, and from looking at their web page, I am of the impression they would like to build a program of at least somewhat of a similar type of foundation as exists at Cal. They talk about quality, values, and respect for the game in ways that suggest to me they are interested in, and capable, of putting a really quality program together. They showed very well in the 7's tourney in Berkeley, and I thought their 15s looked very impressive for a first showing at Storer. If they could get Knight to buy into the potential, if they could get alumni and supporters to commit to some financial stability, and if they could get the university to believe in the program, they could be awesome. They have some really good athletes on their squad, and the university draws well from the Bay Area where youth rugby programs are really strong. Whether they are able to step up to a higher level will be very much based on their commitment to themselves and to their fortitude. Like stanford and $C, there is enormous potential at Eugene. I, for one, would like to see it happen.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.