Cal picked #4 in the pac12, do you feel something different?

7,001 Views | 61 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Blueblood
Trumpanzee
How long do you want to ignore this user?
We picked up some "beef" the last couple of weeks through (free agency) the transfer portal. Do you think this will make us more competitive this year or are we hoping to limp into a low level bowl game?
calumnus
Trumpanzee said:

We picked up some "beef" the last couple of weeks through (free agency) the transfer portal. Do you think this will make us more competitive this year or are we hoping to limp into a low level bowl game?

Where were we picked #4?
joe amos yaks
#4 in the PAC12 north.
"Those who say don't know, and those who know don't say." - LT
Bobodeluxe
joe amos yaks said:

#4 in the PAC12 north.
Picky picky.
Nasal Mucus Goldenbear

#4 in the California pod.
Trumpanzee
With new rule for conference playoffs we can play Oregon for the Pac12 championship......
heartofthebear
Keeping Plummer upright will be key and none of our "free agents" are established major college offensive tackles. Maybe something shakes out but, until then, fourth sounds reasonable.
Big C

It's pretty obvious why the so-called-pundits wouldn't be high on us. It's on us to surprise some people, which I think we can do if our O-line is even so-so.
Bobodeluxe
How can anyone top "Super Senior" 9+?
calumnus
Big C said:

It's pretty obvious why the so-called-pundits wouldn't be high on us. It's on us to surprise some people, which I think we can do if our O-line is even so-so.

It is tough to get a read on this team, so many new faces, new players that we we will be relying heavily on, with Plummer only the most significant. Really no finish, from 1st to last, would shock me. As a Cal fan I'm rooting for the first, but if I'm a 3rd party observer, Cal under Wilcox once again finishing somewhere in the bottom half is the safe bet. It means nothing. That's why they play the games.

Blueblood
calumnus said:

It is tough to get a read on this team, so many new faces, new players that we we will be relying heavily on, with Plummer only the most significant. Really no finish, from 1st to last, would shock me. As a Cal fan I'm rooting for the first, but if I'm a 3rd party observer, Cal under Wilcox once again finishing somewhere in the bottom half is the safe bet. It means nothing. That's why they play the games.

You must be running for office?
82gradDLSdad
calumnus said:

Big C said:

1st would shock me
BearoutEast67
I smell roses
Donate to Cal's NIL at https://calegends.com/donation/
Rushinbear
Big C said:

Pundits must depend on teams proving themselves. Until they do, pundits must rely on past history. An influx of talent to a team means nothing to them until they win...and the talent can't mean anything, if you think about it.
76BearsFly
In for $50 on Bears to win Conference. Probably wasted but if Pasadena in the cards ok got a $3,300 war chest. Big fan this year….
mdbear
I would be satisfied if Cal goes to any bowl game this year. I like Wilcox, but it is clear that he is no miracle worker. IMHO, the best we can hope is that Wilcox will slowly build Cal into a solid program that has a winning record most years. I do think Lincoln Riley has the potential to be a miracle worker. If he can keep top talent from leaving the West, USC could become a powerhouse that can compete with the top teams in the Southern U.S. (Clemson, Oklahoma, and the SEC). It is difficult to overstate just how much those programs have separated themselves from almost everyone else in college football. For them, the money is endless, and the talent pool is deep.
okaydo
I predict the Justin Wilcox-Lincoln Riley feud will become the biggest story in college football in 2022.
Rushinbear
mdbear said:

I would be satisfied if Cal goes to any bowl game this year. I like Wilcox, but it is clear that he is no miracle worker. IMHO, the best we can hope is that Wilcox will slowly build Cal into a solid program that has a winning record most years. I do think Lincoln Riley has the potential to be a miracle worker. If he can keep top talent from leaving the West, USC could become a powerhouse that can compete with the top teams in the Southern U.S. (Clemson, Oklahoma, and the SEC). It is difficult to overstate just how much those programs have separated themselves from almost everyone else in college football. For them, the money is endless, and the talent pool is deep.
This is beginning to look like a Va Tech model.
Trumpanzee
BearoutEast67 said:

I smell roses

You're not six foot under by chance......
calumnus
82gradDLSdad said:

calumnus said:

Big C said:

1st would shock me

Well, I'd be surprised and insanely happy, but I actually think it is possible. Highly improbable, but possible. If Plummer is awesome, the line is good, Ott is a star, the defense kicks a, and USC, Oregon, UW etc are a year away, Stanford sucks again… Then we beat Utah in the Championship game…. OK I admit it is fantasy land, but it is at least imaginable.

Now 1st in basketball would SHOCK me. It would violate the laws of the universe.
Golden One
mdbear said:

I like Wilcox, but it is clear that he is no miracle worker.
That's the understatement of the year. Wilcox is a tremendous handicap to us having an offense good enough to break into the top tier of the conference or the division.
82gradDLSdad
calumnus said:

82gradDLSdad said:

calumnus said:

Big C said:

1st would shock me

Well, I'd be surprised and insanely happy, but I actually think it is possible. Highly improbable, but possible. If Plummer is awesome, the line is good, Ott is a star, the defense kicks a, and USC, Oregon, UW etc are a year away, Stanford sucks again… Then we beat Utah in the Championship game…. OK I admit it is fantasy land, but it is at least imaginable.

Now 1st in basketball would SHOCK me. It would violate the laws of the universe.

I don't have a word to describe 1st in basketball.
bearsandgiants
76BearsFly said:

In for $50 on Bears to win Conference. Probably wasted but if Pasadena in the cards ok got a $3,300 war chest. Big fan this year….
Are we really 66:1 to win the conference? That seems like a solid bet, if so. I'd put even more on that, and hedge if we get close.
dimitrig
Trumpanzee said:

It all depends on the QB play.

82gradDLSdad
dimitrig said:

Trumpanzee said:

It all depends on the QB play.

Yes, but first it depends on the OL play. We go nowhere with an above average OL at the least.
76BearsFly
Yep, just double-checked my acct/pending wagers and those are the numbers. Small wager for a Rose Bowl war chest.
BearoutEast67
Trumpanzee said:

BearoutEast67 said:

I smell roses

You're not six foot under by chance......

No, but I'd like to still be on the sunny side before the Bears make it to Pasadena. Curse you, Mack Brown!
Donate to Cal's NIL at https://calegends.com/donation/
KoreAmBear
Nasal Mucus Goldenbear said:

#4 in the Bay Area pod.
Dgoldnbaer
Your mucus membranes need to be checked/fixed.
calumnus
KoreAmBear said:

#4 in the Bay Area pod.

Actually, that would be optimistic for basketball. Last year's ranking in Ken Pom:
1. St. Mary's #17
2. San Francisco #23
3. Santa Clara #76
4. Stanford #106
5. Cal #142

PtownBear1
calumnus said:

KoreAmBear said:

#4 in the Bay Area pod.

Actually, that would be optimistic for basketball. Last year's ranking in Ken Pom:
1. St. Mary's #17
2. San Francisco #23
3. Santa Clara #76
4. Stanford #106
5. Cal #142

Woohoo! Eat that CSUEB!
Big C
calumnus said:

KoreAmBear said:

#4 in the Bay Area pod.

1. St. Mary's #17
2. San Francisco #23
3. Santa Clara #76
4. Stanford #106
5. Cal #142

I wonder how Santa Clara and Stanford must have felt, having both lost to the #142 team in the country!
calumnus
Big C said:

calumnus said:

KoreAmBear said:

#4 in the Bay Area pod.

1. St. Mary's #17
2. San Francisco #23
3. Santa Clara #76
4. Stanford #106
5. Cal #142

I wonder how Santa Clara and Stanford must have felt, having both lost to the #142 team in the country!

Probably similar to how we felt as the #4 UC campus in basketball (behind LA, Santa Barbara and Irvine) and still lost to #261 UC San Diego who just moved up to D1 and started giving out scholarships.
Go!Bears
76BearsFly said:

That is actually cheap insurance for Rose Bowl tickets. If they win, I could afford to buy them. I may join you.
edg64
joe amos yaks said:

#4 in the PAC12 north.
#4 in the North means #8 in the conference
Go Bears
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.