Everybody's excited after official visit. Meh.

1,774 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by mbBear
JSC 76
How long do you want to ignore this user?
We keep seeing articles that yet another 4* recruit took a visit to Cal and said nothing but great things about us.

And then a few months later they commit to Oklahoma or Alabama or USC.

I think these follow-up comments are like thank-you notes to Grandma: "yay, I loved the socks you gave me for Christmas, they're my favorite color." Nobody's going to say bad things...that would be rude.

Wake me when they commit.

eastcoastcal
I see where you're coming from but I also think it's important to note that it's impressive Wilcox has us even competing with these blue bloods and national powers. Most of the recruits we've offered almost always have us i their top 7, 5, or 2. Once we start actually winning we'll really see things improve.
Dgoldnbaer
My question is when are we going to start winning??? And I'm not referring to going 7-5!
bipolarbear
Pretty sure some of the players include us, a serious academic institution, to class up their offer list from the usual suspects of football factories.
75bear
They probably like us until they receive our NIL offer :-(
Rushinbear
bipolarbear said:

Pretty sure some of the players include us, a serious academic institution, to class up their offer list from the usual suspects of football factories.
Let's face it - most players don't want to think about becoming educated. They don't know what that means,just know that it takes more work and time that they could put into more NFL prep. Hell, a good many of them are incapable of becoming educated. They think only of tonight, riches and fun. If they think about anything.

To those who ARE interested in becoming educated, they don't realize how tough it would be to pursue that while the vast majority of their fellow players will discourage them - players around them ridicule it. How can they break off to study and take real classes when their teammates are going out. Every top ten team keeps one academic star to "prove" that they encourage studying and that a certain percentage of their team gets their degree (which is worth nothing after their League "career" is over). They're tokens.

They need to be among a team of like-minded people to give and get support. It works when everyone is investing in their futures.

So Cal and a few other schools are searching for those few top guys who are studious...and hoping to coach up and scheme a group that will play as a team in hopes that that will outplay teams of higher star kids, let's say.

It's a fascinating challenge: nature vs nurture.
PtownBear1
I don't disagree with the sentiment regarding recruits and OVs, but I disagree with complaining about the articles. If you don't want to read an article, then simply don't click it. The more press the better though as far as I'm concerned, otherwise, football would be another dead program like basketball.
Big C
PtownBear1 said:

I don't disagree with the sentiment regarding recruits and OVs, but I disagree with complaining about the articles. If you don't want to read an article, then simply don't click it. The more press the better though as far as I'm concerned, otherwise, football would be another dead program like basketball.

Yeah, I love the articles. Ya gotta just learn to not get your hopes too high. And maybe read between the lines to create greater meaning from what the recruits say.

As far as us ever getting Rashada, I never had my hopes too high... and that was even before NIL exploded.
wifeisafurd
The way it now works with the Portal, you may be recruiting or be recruited by a former suitor. So you only say nice things or nothing. Here is an example, four star Xavier Carlton, who was recruited vey hard by Cal, chose Utah instead. He didn't like how Utah used him - they used him at dline and he started several games as a true frosh for a team that traditionally has one of the best defenses in the Pac. The guy has freaky talent. When he went to the Portal it took Cal under five minutes to get him to come to Cal because of how Cal and Carlton handled his selection of Utah over Cal. Cal will also use him at LB (or anywhere they can get him on the field). Rule number 1 now: only say nice things.
heartofthebear
If folks feel bitter about losing recruits to other schools, you're about 50 years late. Heck even JT got played. If you take what a high school kid says at face value you haven't been a parent.
calumnus
eastcoastcal said:

I see where you're coming from but I also think it's important to note that it's impressive Wilcox has us even competing with these blue bloods and national powers. Most of the recruits we've offered almost always have us i their top 7, 5, or 2. Once we start actually winning we'll really see things improve.

Agreed, you have to be in it to win it. Plus being on a top players' final list, there are usually reporters asking them "What do you like about each school?" So having a top recruit talk about what they like about Cal in a national article is great publicity.

As you said, if we can start winning, the top recruits will come.
going4roses
JSC 76 said:

We keep seeing articles that yet another 4* recruit took a visit to Cal and said nothing but great things about us.

I think these follow-up comments are like thank-you notes to Grandma: "yay, I loved the socks you gave me for Christmas, they're my favorite color." Nobody's going to say bad things...that would be rude.

Tell someone you love them and try to have a good day
76BearsFly
Nice post Rushinbear. Nature vs. nurture. I think Cal is looking for a very special type of kid-smart, studious, raw talent and coachable. Attracts some but discourages others. Regardless, there just aren't enough 4 stars out there that meet those requirements. I like the way the coaches are slowly but surely expanding up in quality offers/recruits. Can the offense come together quickly?? Hmmmmmm…..
Rushinbear
76BearsFly said:

Nice post Rushinbear. Nature vs. nurture. I think Cal is looking for a very special type of kid-smart, studious, raw talent and coachable. Attracts some but discourages others. Regardless, there just aren't enough 4 stars out there that meet those requirements. I like the way the coaches are slowly but surely expanding up in quality offers/recruits. Can the offense come together quickly?? Hmmmmmm…..
Can a team of smart, mid/high 80's beat a team full of 4*s who just want to show off their talents to the League (trust me, these types are not coachable in the sense we think of it)? I think that JW aims to find out. (He may be forced to).
mbBear
going4roses said:

JSC 76 said:

We all can like or dislike the final recruiting classes, and think certain coaches couldn't recruit Oski to Cal, but I think it gets lost that Cal (and others) have people working on recruiting constantly, let alone the involvement of the coaches. Some think they know what's going on because they subscribe to a couple of sites, follow a few people on Twitter, and then spend, what, maybe 40 minutes a day coming up with conclusions?
IMO, we know half of what is actually going on, at best....
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.