College football sucks

4,130 Views | 31 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by heartofthebear
hanky1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
It's not fun anymore. It sucks. Last year was the first year as a fan that just wasn't enjoyable for me. This coming year...I have no intention of attending or watching any games. I'm done. The sport is broken and it's hard to cheer for anyone when there are no longer any more loyalties.

Even making fun of some of you on the OT board has lost its fun. Anyways, I'm not complaining. It's been fun posting on the various versions of this board for the past 20 years, especially when I still own so many of you. But you might as well go out on a high note...so this is goodbye.
maxer
See you in a couple months!
oskidunker
You can check-out any time you like"

"But you can never leave!"…
Go Bears!
Strykur
YOU suck.
Chabbear
The question is how many others will follow people out the door if Cal is no longer part of the top division in football and basketball, not to mention the Olympic sports. FCS schools get a fraction of the football attendance of even the worst FBS school.
eastcoastcal
Chabbear said:

The question is how many others will follow people out the door if Cal is no longer part of the top division in football and basketball, not to mention the Olympic sports. FCS schools get a fraction of the football attendance of even the worst FBS school.
I'm not quitting on Cal yet but if they do end up staying in a depleted PAC I don't think I have a huge reason to follow or care
oskidunker
CAl fans will still go. Whats the difference? We haven't won a title in 50:years of futility. I would enjoy it if we won more games against lesser opponents. We were never going to be a top 10 team anyway. Games might be more interesting.
Go Bears!
Bobodeluxe
Few people show up now, so little will change, other than fewer gates will be open.
82gradDLSdad
I suspect that if Cal ever wins the PAC X I'll feel the same way as I feel now that my high school, Sacred Heart has won a state championship. It's in division 4A and their WCAL record was 3-4 so...
I guess Cal will at least have to have a better record than that.
Bobodeluxe
Relegate good times!

Econ141
Bobodeluxe said:

Few people show up now, so little will change, other than fewer gates will be open.

Pre-game Twitter: First 1,000 fans get a bobblehead!

*checks boxes after the game*

Next game: First 15 fans get a bobblehead!
Boot
Actually D1 football sucks. I actually enjoy watching D3
football because they're playing just to play.
oskidunker
Boot said:

Agree. I just want to watch Cal win. I do not care who the opponent is.
Go Bears!
golden sloth
Between knowing Cal will never be able to compete with others schools in the NIL payments to players, and college football growing into a two-conference semi-pro league, with none of the regional rivalries and local charm that endeared me to it, I too find my interest waning, and I think my days of planning my saturdays around game time may be coming to an end, sadly.

That said, I'll still enjoy an annual trip to berkeley on a sunny fall afternoon to enjoy a few beers and a little nostalgia.
oskidunker
Cal vs Oregon State probably wont be at night
Go Bears!
Big C
oskidunker said:

Boot said:

Agree. I just want to watch Cal win. I do not care who the opponent is.

Plus, with Furd being pretty much in the same boat as us (Titanic?), the most important rivalry will be preserved.
SFCityBear
oskidunker said:

Cal vs Oregon State probably wont be at night
If they would stop playing night games, where I freeze my rear end off, I would start going to games again, no matter who the opponent is.
SFCityBear
LunchTime
Chabbear said:

Honestly, after my dad and the other patriarch of Cal football died this offseason, I was on the fence.

Really before my dad died the fun had been sucked out of game. I didnt want to go anymore but my dads friend ordered the tickets before he died, and I didnt want him to lose so much.

But this obliterates any connection I have to college sports. I have always disliked the fickle professional business aspect of pro sports. I cant stand the warriors and get no enjoyment out of band-wagoning a team that left Oakland at the first spark of success. College sport is only different in that we cant move a campus when the city wont build a stadium.

I am just disgusted by this.

Hopefully I can cancel, but I certainly wont renew...

Well, I will renew if Cal wins 14 games, and has no late night home games.
Boot
I really think that with the TV market here
we end up in either the Big10 or we poach the Big12.
I personally think Cal and Stanford should move to the Ivy.
The pre and post game party's would be legendary.
Cal84
Boot said:

Cal/Furd will get a Big12 invite. not the other way around (P12 going after B12 teams). The B12 will reocgnize an opportunity to get an CA foothold and will take it. Geographically the AZ or Mtn (Utah, Col) schools make more sense, but adding them won't increase the per school TV payout for B12 schools, so they will be shunned. UW/Oregon will also get B12 invites, but will decline aiming for a move the B1G.

So then Cal/Furd will need to decide whether to eat humble pie and join a conference filled with religious and academic lightweight schools that they previously turned their noses up against. Or go Ivy. Choice A involves probably a tripling of travel expenses which means half the non-revenue sports would need to be killed off. Choice B involves a quadrupling of travel expenses and the complete elimination of TV revenues, which means basically all sports would need to be killed off.

From experience we know that Cal/Furd administration will waffle, bemoan their situation and pick Choice C: do nothing. The B12 will be flabbergasted and will get the AZ and Mtn schools just to get bigger and aim for a union with the ACC. A year later Cal/Furd, Oregon State and WSU will get invites to the Mountain West. Which they will be forced at accept in order to get any TV revenues. But even with this comeupance, Cal Athletics will have learned nothing and will continue to spend more on non-revenue sports than their MW bretheren. Consequently within 3 years Cal will simply be a mid-tier team in the MW and go through repeated cycles of "rebuilding".
TruffleShuffle
You've made me very depressed.
socaliganbear
Cal84 said:

Boot said:

Cal/Furd will get a Big12 invite. not the other way around (P12 going after B12 teams). The B12 will reocgnize an opportunity to get an CA foothold and will take it. Geographically the AZ or Mtn (Utah, Col) schools make more sense, but adding them won't increase the per school TV payout for B12 schools, so they will be shunned. UW/Oregon will also get B12 invites, but will decline aiming for a move the B1G.

So then Cal/Furd will need to decide whether to eat humble pie and join a conference filled with religious and academic lightweight schools that they previously turned their noses up against. Or go Ivy. Choice A involves probably a tripling of travel expenses which means half the non-revenue sports would need to be killed off. Choice B involves a quadrupling of travel expenses and the complete elimination of TV revenues, which means basically all sports would need to be killed off.

From experience we know that Cal/Furd administration will waffle, bemoan their situation and pick Choice C: do nothing. The B12 will be flabbergasted and will get the AZ and Mtn schools just to get bigger and aim for a union with the ACC. A year later Cal/Furd, Oregon State and WSU will get invites to the Mountain West. Which they will be forced at accept in order to get any TV revenues. But even with this comeupance, Cal Athletics will have learned nothing and will continue to spend more on non-revenue sports than their MW bretheren. Consequently within 3 years Cal will simply be a mid-tier team in the MW and go through repeated cycles of "rebuilding".

C is the most Cal scenario. Of course, with our staggering debt, MW money means we'll likely cut most sports anyway and bankrupt the department anyway.
heartofthebear
hanky1 said:

It's not fun anymore. It sucks. Last year was the first year as a fan that just wasn't enjoyable for me. This coming year...I have no intention of attending or watching any games. I'm done. The sport is broken and it's hard to cheer for anyone when there are no longer any more loyalties.

Even making fun of some of you on the OT board has lost its fun. Anyways, I'm not complaining. It's been fun posting on the various versions of this board for the past 20 years, especially when I still own so many of you. But you might as well go out on a high note...so this is goodbye.
I'll say this, the forces of college football--the sports media, the institutions of higher education, the coaches, the conferences, the boosters, the officials, the recruiters, the NCAA and now, unfortunately, the players and students --are the biggest unorganized consortium of self-serving and shortsighted individuals that exists in the world of sports. I'd include the fans, but the fans are self serving in any sports world, not just college football. None of these groups has ever acted like they've had a serious thought about the long term effect of their interests on the health of the sport.

In the 70s college football was a better product than the NFL. The NFL was based on running and defense. And it was low scoring. There were basically 6 dynasties that dominated the NFL (Steelers, Dolphins, Vikings, Cowboys and Raiders--the 49ers in the 80's). NCAA football games were more interesting because, quite frankly, amateurs make more mistakes than the pros. So the chaos created by mistakes made things exciting for fans. Anything could happen in a college football game. And it often did. Things like "the play" just didn't happen in the NFL. College had the 2 point conversion and the NFL did not. College football was accessible and affordable while the NFL was expensive and only on Sundays at 10 and 1.

Over the years, college football and the media cashed in on this value, but did it such a way so that the rich got richer and the poor got poorer, tainting the game. Meanwhile the NFL addressed the lack of parity with the draft, realignments, expansion and finally the salary cap. And they expanded TV coverage to Monday night and other nights. In doing so, they made it so that almost every major city's population would flock to NFL games and everybody else could watch at home. The NCAA has made it harder to watch, requiring expensive TV packages while the NFL still broadcasts on major networks.

In essence, the NFL thought about the future and carefully laid out a plan to address problems and make improvements and they never lost sight of the fact that the fans are their end user and their number 1 target. The world of college football lost sight of that a long time ago, preferring to focus on short term profits. Heck even the new rules to better protect players is so unevenly enforced in college football that it has become a factor in the fall of the pac-12 as a conference. Everyone knows that the pac-12 officiating is a joke. And players choose to go elsewhere, although not always for that reason alone.

The NFL surpassed MLB to become the most popular sport in America. I still like college football, despite all of this, because it is better than mowing the lawn or doing taxes on a beautiful fall Saturday. Memorial stadium is still beautiful even though it no longer has grass. But I now prefer NFL football much more than NCAA football. And baseball is equal to it.

Now that the pac-12 is falling apart, I suspect my interest in college football will continue to wane and I may actually prefer mowing the lawn.
Econ141
Correct title for this thread is: "College Football sucks ... For us"
CALiforniALUM
I am having the same feeling I had when I got a phone call that my mom was in the hospital and it didn't look good. If that past experience is prologue the next feeling I expect is the moment when the thing you love takes it's last breath. The finality of it washes over you. The point of no return, where life as you know and want it ceases to exist. It is both crushing and freeing all at the same time. Surrounded by [Cal] family you'll laugh, cry, wish it wasn't so, and never change a thing.
The bear quit today, the bear died today. Long live the bear!
dimitrig
heartofthebear said:

hanky1 said:

I'll say this, the forces of college football--the sports media, the institutions of higher education, the coaches, the conferences, the boosters, the officials, the recruiters, the NCAA and now, unfortunately, the players and students --are the biggest unorganized consortium of self-serving and shortsighted individuals that exists in the world of sports. I'd include the fans, but the fans are self serving in any sports world, not just college football. None of these groups has ever acted like they've had a serious thought about the long term effect of their interests on the health of the sport.

In the 70s college football was a better product than the NFL. The NFL was based on running and defense. And it was low scoring. There were basically 6 dynasties that dominated the NFL (Steelers, Dolphins, Vikings, Cowboys and Raiders--the 49ers in the 80's). NCAA football games were more interesting because, quite frankly, amateurs make more mistakes than the pros. So the chaos created by mistakes made things exciting for fans. Anything could happen in a college football game. And it often did. Things like "the play" just didn't happen in the NFL. College had the 2 point conversion and the NFL did not. College football was accessible and affordable while the NFL was expensive and only on Sundays at 10 and 1.

Over the years, college football and the media cashed in on this value, but did it such a way so that the rich got richer and the poor got poorer, tainting the game. Meanwhile the NFL addressed the lack of parity with the draft, realignments, expansion and finally the salary cap. And they expanded TV coverage to Monday night and other nights. In doing so, they made it so that almost every major city's population would flock to NFL games and everybody else could watch at home. The NCAA has made it harder to watch, requiring expensive TV packages while the NFL still broadcasts on major networks.

In essence, the NFL thought about the future and carefully laid out a plan to address problems and make improvements and they never lost sight of the fact that the fans are their end user and their number 1 target. The world of college football lost sight of that a long time ago, preferring to focus on short term profits. Heck even the new rules to better protect players is so unevenly enforced in college football that it has become a factor in the fall of the pac-12 as a conference. Everyone knows that the pac-12 officiating is a joke. And players choose to go elsewhere, although not always for that reason alone.

The NFL surpassed MLB to become the most popular sport in America. I still like college football, despite all of this, because it is better than mowing the lawn or doing taxes on a beautiful fall Saturday. Memorial stadium is still beautiful even though it no longer has grass. But I now prefer NFL football much more than NCAA football. And baseball is equal to it.

Now that the pac-12 is falling apart, I suspect my interest in college football will continue to wane and I may actually prefer mowing the lawn.

"I'll say this, the forces of college football--the sports media, the institutions of higher education, the coaches, the conferences, the boosters, the officials, the recruiters, the NCAA and now, unfortunately, the players and students --are the biggest unorganized consortium of self-serving and shortsighted individuals that exists in the world of sports."

This.

College football is dying a slow death and the Big10 and SEC are helping it along. Basketball may have more hope but it, too, will be jeopardized by NIL money which is in turn required because of the media contracts and greed of the conferences who valued money more than the athletes or the student experience.

It is really hard to get into the idea of student-athletes making tens of millions of dollars to play a game while pretending to care about getting an education. Why should students care and if students and alumni stop caring then who is this all for? Advertisers trying to market products? Killing college sports is the best way to reach a market? Hardly.

I hate to say it, but maybe Stanford has its priorities correct by refusing to have a NIL collective. I am not at all surprised to see USC chasing dollars but I am a little sad/surprised that UCLA went along with them.

Part of me would like to see Cal joining them, but when I look at the future of collegiate sport maybe it is better to just fast forward to the end game and skip a decade of heartbreak pretending that we can compete in this new landscape. Many of us don't even WANT to compete in that environment if that is what it takes.

This development highlighted that what we sort of suspected is true is definitely true: amateur collegiate competition in the revenue sports is dead and has been for some time - at least at the highest levels. Cal can't and shouldn't be part of that.

Bobodeluxe
dimitrig said:

heartofthebear said:

hanky1 said:

"I'll say this, the forces of college football--the sports media, the institutions of higher education, the coaches, the conferences, the boosters, the officials, the recruiters, the NCAA and now, unfortunately, the players and students --are the biggest unorganized consortium of self-serving and shortsighted individuals that exists in the world of sports."

This.

College football is dying a slow death and the Big10 and SEC are helping it along. Basketball may have more hope but it, too, will be jeopardized by NIL money which is in turn required because of the media contracts and greed of the conferences who valued money more than the athletes or the student experience.

It is really hard to get into the idea of student-athletes making tens of millions of dollars to play a game while pretending to care about getting an education. Why should students care and if students and alumni stop caring then who is this all for? Advertisers trying to market products? Killing college sports is the best way to reach a market? Hardly.

I hate to say it, but maybe Stanford has its priorities correct by refusing to have a NIL collective. I am not at all surprised to see USC chasing dollars but I am a little sad/surprised that UCLA went along with them.

Part of me would like to see Cal joining them, but when I look at the future of collegiate sport maybe it is better to just fast forward to the end game and skip a decade of heartbreak pretending that we can compete in this new landscape. Many of us don't even WANT to compete in that environment if that is what it takes.

This development highlighted that what we sort of suspected is true is definitely true: amateur collegiate competition in the revenue sports is dead and has been for some time - at least at the highest levels. Cal can't and shouldn't be part of that.

Perfectly stated.
LunchTime
Cal84 said:

Boot said:

Wouldn't TitleIV say we can't kill all the sports? Seems almost all the women's sports would have to stay.
Cal84
Nope. But you do need to be offering as many women's sports scholarships as you offer men's sports scholarships. So to offset men's basketball, women's basketball is necessary. In a well run D1 athletics department, both can be operated at close to a combined breakeven - another reason there is inertia to keep the pair. One then needs enough women's programs to match the scholarships offered by men's football. Anything after that is pure expense load and is subject to cutting, except for isolated schools (ex. Men's baseball in some SEC schools is still profitable).
philly1121
fat_slice said:

Exactly. Had we been winning we would be the ones saying "leave UCLA, USC, Colorado and Utah behind!" "they're not academically as good as us!"

It really just boils down to how good our football team is. We aren't good. Haven't been for a long time. There is very little admin support for us to be better long term. We just aren't that university.

Any likely scenarios for us do NOT include the B1G. They don't want us. We're shyte to them. We're shyte to the P12 too for that matter.

Option A: stay in the P12 and invite 4 teams from MW and/or B12.
Option B: join the B12 (This won't happen because we won't join a conference with TCU or Baylor.)

Ivy League is not an option for us. Its too far. They won't come out here. Only "natural" rival would be Yale.

I think the university admins are probably saying, "since we can't go bigger because we just don't want to....we should dial it back and just play with what we have. Landscape of college football is changing and will change again."

The more apocalyptic question for Cal is: what happens in 5-7 years when consolidation happens again. That really could be the end since we have no money or institutional strength to compete.
Bobodeluxe
philly1121 said:

fat_slice said:

Exactly. Had we been winning we would be the ones saying "leave UCLA, USC, Colorado and Utah behind!" "they're not academically as good as us!"

It really just boils down to how good our football team is. We aren't good. Haven't been for a long time. There is very little admin support for us to be better long term. We just aren't that university.

Any likely scenarios for us do NOT include the B1G. They don't want us. We're shyte to them. We're shyte to the P12 too for that matter.

Option A: stay in the P12 and invite 4 teams from MW and/or B12.
Option B: join the B12 (This won't happen because we won't join a conference with TCU or Baylor.)

Ivy League is not an option for us. Its too far. They won't come out here. Only "natural" rival would be Yale.

I think the university admins are probably saying, "since we can't go bigger because we just don't want to....we should dial it back and just play with what we have. Landscape of college football is changing and will change again."

The more apocalyptic question for Cal is: what happens in 5-7 years when consolidation happens again. That really could be the end since we have no money or institutional strength to compete.
5-7 shows up quite often here. There must be something about those numbers.
heartofthebear
dimitrig said:

heartofthebear said:

hanky1 said:

This.

You had me at the bolded statement above. The NCAA must think that college sports exists in a vacuum with just a TV, the media, the athletes and the coaches. Maybe they are right. Maybe the fans are superfluous. What do I know? I'm sure many fans in places like Columbus and Tuscaloosa don't realize it yet and won't for a while, but the sport they love so much is losing it's charm and the national championship trophies will become nothing more than fancy paper weights with about as much meaning.

If there isn't a level playing field, the game is meaningless, no matter how you dress it up.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.