Pack Memorial on Saturday

2,902 Views | 22 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by JB was a Chieftain
heartofthebear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
If you are so inclined, this Saturday is a good day to show up and help give Cal a 12th man.
I don't usually promote Cal but I am genuinely pumped about this game and have been since the schedule came out last winter.

Many of you may be just getting back from South Bend and may want to take the week off.
But this game is equally important to last weekend and is also likely to be another close exciting matchup.
Arizona has been pretty bad going back to 2017, their last bowl year--a year that would not have included a bowl had they not beaten Cal in Berkeley by 1 point. That year, had Cal won, would have been a bowl year for Cal.
This has been the recent history of this matchup--whoever wins goes to a bowl and the loser misses it by one game. It also happened in 2014, when Arizona came back from around 28 points well into the second half to defeat Cal on the last play hail mary and in 2010, another 1 point loss. And we all know what happened last year.

Add to that the infamous loss to Arizona in Tucson in 2006 that kept us from a Rose Bowl birth. That's the one where Hawkins fell down near the goal line after a long pass reception and Cal never did get a TD on that drive.

Anyway, Arizona is much improved and they are not going to be easy to beat. Jayden DeLaura, their QB was at WSU last year when they came in to Berkeley and destroyed our season, once again keeping us from a bowl game.

I just got my tickets on stub hub and they are advising that this is already a popular fast selling event, meaning that we can expect decent turnout. Weather is going to be perfect and the 2:30 starting time couldn't be better

But lets turn it into BIG TIME TURNOUT!!

WE HAVE NOT BEATEN THE WILDCATS FOR OVER A DECADE!! AND THEY AREN'T THAT GOOD. IT'S TIME TO GET THE MONKEY OFF OUR BACKS AND WE NEED THIS ONE!!

THIS IS REVENGE TIME!!
I want to see you there. 50,000+

GRRRAWW
GRRRAWWW
GRRRRRRAW
TandemBear
It's also Homecoming, so there's that.
westcoast101
Given that this is Homecoming, (hopefully) a winnable game, an ideal start time, nice weather in the forecast, and the Bears aren't back home for another month, this really should be a good crowd. Just bought my tickets earlier today.
eabandit
What activities are there for Homecoming?
oskidunker
eabandit said:

Pom pom try outs.
Go Bears!
MrGPAC
That 2006 game had all sorts of moments.

Hawkins falling down at the 5 yard line.
Desean Jackson's Toe.

And my personal favorite:
Hughes "pass interference" on an interception. Both players have a right to the damned ball..he was clearly going for the ball (he caught it).
HighlandDutch
oskidunker said:

eabandit said:

Pom pom try outs.
LOL...that would require the try outs to be moved to an earlier date....
harebear
eabandit said:

Lots of things and you can use the filters on https://homecoming.berkeley.edu/ to find events of interest to you.

Bobodeluxe
28,000 tickets used, 36,000 tickets distributed.
HearstMining
oskidunker said:

eabandit said:

Pom pom try outs.
Should be the half-time event at the game! Skip the stupid bear growl contest and let the fans vote on this!
heartofthebear
GRRRRRRRRRAWWW!
Dgoldnbaer
IMHO; crowd was disappointing today. Game time was perfect, weather was perfect, etc..., and I was hoping to see 45 - 50,000. Shi_! The rooting section wasn't even full. Here's hoping Jayden Ott puts more fans in the stands!
JB was a Chieftain
Dgoldnbaer said:

IMHO; crowd was disappointing today. Game time was perfect, weather was perfect, etc..., and I was hoping to see 45 - 50,000. Shi_! The rooting section wasn't even full. Here's hoping Jayden Ott puts more fans in the stands!

Beat WSU & Colorado. Washington beats UCLA, Arizona & ASU. A 7-0 top 10/15 ranked Udub team travels to 5-1 "receiving votes" upstart Cal team with college gameday setting up shop under the campanile! Fans will show out then!
Dgoldnbaer
For starters we need to beat WSU this Saturday. Here's hoping we catch them being down & still recovering after heartbreaking loss to the quack quacks!
TexasAgInTheBay
This was sadly the one game I could not attend. But I had people in my 4 seats!

I'm starting to feel even more hyped than before. The Notre Dame loss isn't going to end up awful like some on here made it seem like. And the whole schedule is out front for the Bears

Needless to say I won't be missing any more games and will have all my seats filled every game!
Big C
TexasAgInTheBay said:

This was sadly the one game I could not attend. But I had people in my 4 seats!

I'm starting to feel even more hyped than before. The Notre Dame loss isn't going to end up awful like some on here made it seem like. And the whole schedule is out front for the Bears

Needless to say I won't be missing any more games and will have all my seats filled every game!

Keep reporting back as to how you are liking the games. We're glad to have you!
HoopDreams
Sad that even Appalachian State had a Game Day

JB was a Chieftain said:

Dgoldnbaer said:

Beat WSU & Colorado. Washington beats UCLA, Arizona & ASU. A 7-0 top 10/15 ranked Udub team travels to 5-1 "receiving votes" upstart Cal team with college gameday setting up shop under the campanile! Fans will show out then!
calumnus
HoopDreams said:

Sad that even Appalachian State had a Game Day

JB was a Chieftain said:

Dgoldnbaer said:

Plus, Jaydn Ott will not only be the leading rusher in conference (he is already) but could be the leader in the country (he is currently #11, but with a lot fewer carries than those ahead of him). So another reason to hype the game and one more reason it was too bad he only got 7 carries against UNLV and 13 against Notre Dame with few of those runs taking advantage of his speed outside.
heartofthebear
Dgoldnbaer said:

For starters we need to beat WSU this Saturday. Here's hoping we catch them being down & still recovering after heartbreaking loss to the quack quacks!
I think we match up well against WSU. Our defense can keep the scoring down and the game close. WSU has been consistently strong against the run and quite a bit weaker against the pass. So maybe we run play action or send Ott out in the flat. Offensively WSU is much more inclined to pass and has only netted 376 yards rushing on the year. So we should probably employ the defense we changed to in the second half on Saturday, which shut down what was a very prolific passing attack.

I think we should be able to pass, as long as the OL continues to hold up.
TheFiatLux
Dgoldnbaer said:

I really don't know why you would be expecting to see 45-50,000 when over the last 6 years, we haven't even / or barely drawn that for marquee match-ups.

2015, USC - 52K
2016, Texas - 50K
2017, Ole Miss - 37K
2017, USC - 47K
2018, UNC - 42K
2018, UCLA - 46K

The lone exception being the sellout against Grambling in 2015, but that was obviously a unique experience.

Otherwise, those are pretty bad #s

And in conference, for some reason, historically the Arizona games are always are smallest draws (even in the 2000s Tedford glory years).

Anyway, Cal has done plenty to turn-off not just the casual, but the invested fan too. Winning helps tremendously, but attendance is a lagging indicator. Of course we haven't started winning so that's sort of cart before the horse talk.
sycasey
TheFiatLux said:

Dgoldnbaer said:

I really don't know why you would be expecting to see 45-50,000 when over the last 6 years, we haven't even / or barely drawn that for marquee match-ups.

2015, USC - 52K
2016, Texas - 50K
2017, Ole Miss - 37K
2017, USC - 47K
2018, UNC - 42K
2018, UCLA - 46K

The lone exception being the sellout against Grambling in 2015, but that was obviously a unique experience.

Otherwise, those are pretty bad #s

And in conference, for some reason, historically the Arizona games are always are smallest draws (even in the 2000s Tedford glory years).

Anyway, Cal has done plenty to turn-off not just the casual, but the invested fan too. Winning helps tremendously, but attendance is a lagging indicator. Of course we haven't started winning so that's sort of cart before the horse talk.

Yup, Arizona has never been a good draw. Let's see what happens when Washington and Oregon come in.
Oski87
if we come in at 5-1 vs a 6-0 Washington team, we will have a good showing. Winning brings fans. It would be good to advertise our Collective there. Put Jaden on the big screen thanking the collective for it's support...
JB was a Chieftain
Oski87 said:

if we come in at 5-1 vs a 6-0 Washington team, we will have a good showing. Winning brings fans. It would be good to advertise our Collective there. Put Jaden on the big screen thanking the collective for it's support...
Washington would be 7-0. We will have had our bye week by then
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.