I find it very difficult to hate University of Arizona

4,301 Views | 57 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by southseasbear
BearBoarBlarney
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I know that the Arizona Wildcats have caused Cal much grief over the years (the Mackovic disaster game springs to mind, as does the DeSean Jackson heel-on-the-sideline game, as well as the epic collapse when Sonny Ykes' nonexistent D allowed Arizona to score like 35 points in the 4th quarter), but I just can't quite summon up much righteous indignation, bile, or dislike for the desert rats. Even in hoops, in the late-'80s at Harmon Gym we'd make fun of Steve Kerr, Jud Buechler ("Nice Hair!") or Tom Tolbert, but it turns out that Kerr is a good person and a great coach, and Tolbert doesn't take himself too seriously.

I wish I had some good material, but my main impression is that it's a school for California kids who enjoy sports and parties. Like taking Chico State and adding Pac-12 athletics. Any good fodder to boost my dislike?
Big C

Basketball recruits have gone there instead of here because they got paid.

Lute never had a hair out of place; Sean Miller loved his donut place.

Didn't last year's COVID game with them just piss you off?!? Okay, not their fault, but I hate them for it!

This Saturday's game is so crucial, doesn't that somehow make you mad at the Arizona Wildcats!

I can't stand those Rose Bowl-less jerks!
BearBoarBlarney
Thanks Big C, that helps a bit. In fact, I do have a thing against a grown man named "Lute" (may he R.I.P.), so the ire may be growing.
wifeisafurd
They have better looking cheerleaders!

Oh wait, they have cheerleaders!
MrGPAC
Someone recently broke down our past misery to them well...but we haven't beat them since 2009 when Vareen broke a long TD in the last moments after Foles did a double forward pass to push his team out of field goal range to go for the win. Losses to them cost us 1 rose bowl, and 4 bowl games period.

2021 - covid game, we played with half a roster and lost (potentially costing us a bowl game, though covid likely helped us vs USC)

2018 - Lost by 7. This was the game where we put McIlwain in as full time starter over Garbers, and he threw 3 ints including 2 pick 6's in a game lost by 7. Lots of yards (32-43 for 315 yards), and great running from him personally (20 carries for 107 yards and 2 tds), but the pic6s are why we lost the game. Not a huge change on the season outlook had we won, but would have meant 8 wins instead of 7, and probably a different bowl game than the infamous cheezit bowl.

2017 - Lost by 1 in double overtime. We went for 2 as we were running out of steam and failed to convert. Ended the season 5-7 missing a bowl game as a result.

2014- Gave up 36 points in the 4th quarter to lose by 4 points. Ended the season 5-7 missing a bowl game as a result.

2013- Lost by 5 in our 1-11 year. Ho hum loss when we were awful, but by far the closest lost we had that year.

2010- lost 10-9. Cal was up 9-3 late before Nick Foles was able to lead a touch down drive in the last 2 minutes. Finished the season 5-7, missing a bowl game as a result.

2009- Won 24-16. Our last victory over them.

2008 - Lost 42-27.

2007 - Won 45-27...this happened before Oregon / Oregon State games.

2006 - Lost 24-20 costing us the Rose Bowl. Desean Jacksons Toe, Hawinks falling at the 5 yard line. Phantom PI call on Hughes INT.

2005 - 28-0 win. Cal's last shutout over any opponent. Oct 1 will be the 17th anniversary of our last shutout.

bearister
…and when the blue hairs at McKale Memorial Center enjoy a good play, they don't cheer, they just rattle their jewelry.
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
Big C
wifeisafurd said:

They have better looking cheerleaders!

Oh wait, they have cheerleaders!

Aaaargh! I hate Arizona!

And I bet both our first and second string quarterbacks want to stick it to them!
azgreg
sycasey
MrGPAC said:

Someone recently broke down our past misery to them well...but we haven't beat them since 2009 when Vareen broke a long TD in the last moments after Foles did a double forward pass to push his team out of field goal range to go for the win. Losses to them cost us 1 rose bowl, and 4 bowl games period.

2021 - covid game, we played with half a roster and lost (potentially costing us a bowl game, though covid likely helped us vs USC)

2018 - Lost by 7. This was the game where we put McIlwain in as full time starter over Garbers, and he threw 3 ints including 2 pick 6's in a game lost by 7. Lots of yards (32-43 for 315 yards), and great running from him personally (20 carries for 107 yards and 2 tds), but the pic6s are why we lost the game. Not a huge change on the season outlook had we won, but would have meant 8 wins instead of 7, and probably a different bowl game than the infamous cheezit bowl.

2017 - Lost by 1 in double overtime. We went for 2 as we were running out of steam and failed to convert. Ended the season 5-7 missing a bowl game as a result.

2014- Gave up 36 points in the 4th quarter to lose by 4 points. Ended the season 5-7 missing a bowl game as a result.

2013- Lost by 5 in our 1-11 year. Ho hum loss when we were awful, but by far the closest lost we had that year.

2010- lost 10-9. Cal was up 9-3 late before Nick Foles was able to lead a touch down drive in the last 2 minutes. Finished the season 5-7, missing a bowl game as a result.

2008 - Lost 42-27.

2006 - Lost 24-20 costing us the Rose Bowl. Desean Jacksons Toe, Hawinks falling at the 5 yard line. Phantom PI call on Hughes INT.

2005 - 28-0 win. Cal's last shutout over any opponent. Oct 1 will be the 17th anniversary of our last shutout.

Confirmed that every single loss to Arizona has been extremely annoying.
bluehenbear
Like Oregon State (except for this year probably) it is a team we should beat (at least on paper) but always find a way to lose.

And also like Oregon State, it's a team we *need* to beat every year in order get or improve post-season options.
chalcidbear
I don't hate the University of Arizona - they aren't like the b******* at Stanford or USC, and they have a pretty good academic program (unlike ASU). I just get so dam' frustrated at losing to them when we should've won. But you gotta admit, it makes for an exciting competition. A couple of years ago (I don't know what it is now) our win-loss-tie record was something like 10-10-1 (I admit I don't remember the actual numbers) and the difference between most of the wins was a touchdown or less. Now THAT is some competition.
GMP
BearBoarBlarney said:

I know that the Arizona Wildcats have caused Cal much grief over the years (the Mackovic disaster game springs to mind, as does the DeSean Jackson heel-on-the-sideline game, as well as the epic collapse when Sonny Ykes' nonexistent D allowed Arizona to score like 35 points in the 4th quarter), but I just can't quite summon up much righteous indignation, bile, or dislike for the desert rats. Even in hoops, in the late-'80s at Harmon Gym we'd make fun of Steve Kerr, Jud Buechler ("Nice Hair!") or Tom Tolbert, but it turns out that Kerr is a good person and a great coach, and Tolbert doesn't take himself too seriously.

I wish I had some good material, but my main impression is that it's a school for California kids who enjoy sports and parties. Like taking Chico State and adding Pac-12 athletics. Any good fodder to boost my dislike?

Interesting. I never really thought about it, but:

Their basketball teams under Lute were good and talented and fun. Sean Miller's teams have their issues, but the players themselves still mostly seem fine?. I don't hate Arizona basketball, but obviously relish the few wins we've had.

Their football teams are boring and unobjectionable. They've had some guys that were hard to root against (for example, Willie Tuitama; boy did I wish we had him). Also their big comeback against Cal under Dykes is the game that caused me to take a healthier approach to Cal football. Losses no longer ruin my week, or even my day/night. Maybe that would have happened with age anyways, I don't know. But that's a huge plus and ultimately while I'd rather that Hail Mary fell to the ground, I am personally better off for it.
bearister
azgreg said:

I think one of them is tRump's attorney in Florida.
Grrrrah76
Went to Tucson in 2018 for another stupid loss. Fans were nice and didn't give me any grief. Only really hate $C. Dislike Ducks, Stanford, Washington, and Bruins for different reasons. Just added Notre Dame to list along with ACC refs. Ambivalent to everyone else.
95bears
They are hard to dislike, kind of like OSU but even harder to hate.

I knew Tedy Bruschi in high school and he was a good guy (for a meathead LB).

And one of my friends from Cal started their well-known evolutionary genetics insect lab. Who doesn't want to learn about etymology and genetics from something called the Schlenke (Sheh-lenk-ee) Lab!

https://cals.arizona.edu/research/schlenke/

For sure 'The Fly' or some Mothra-like thing is coming out of that place.
BearBoarBlarney
95bears said:

And one of my friends from Cal started their well-known evolutionary genetics insect lab. Who doesn't want to learn about etymology and genetics from something called the Schlenke (Sheh-lenk-ee) Lab!

https://cals.arizona.edu/research/schlenke/

Nice to see Todd Schlenke doing well in his professional life. My wife knew him as a kid when they were growing up in the Glen Park neighborhood of San Francisco.
heartofthebear
MrGPAC said:

2008 - Lost 42-27.

Good outline, but, to be clear, the Vereen TD was icing on the cake. Cal was set to win by 1 anyway, thanks to Foles.
heartofthebear
azgreg said:

That's hard to hate.
heartofthebear
I don't hate, but am certainly jealous of all pac-12 teams that do more with less. Arizona, WSU and OSU do not recruit better than us but they routinely beat us. That just sucks big time. We should be beating these teams most of the time but we don't. Since the turn of the century we are...
  • 5-10 vs. Arizona 14-19 all time
  • 8-14 vs. Oregon St. 39-35 all time (for decades OSU was a bottom dweller in the conference and most of our wins are from those days)
  • 12-6 vs. WSU 48-29-5 Great but only 4-4 the last decade...seriously?

I didn't even mention Utah, which I am really jealous of. They also recruit no better than us.

Colorado is really the only team we beat with regularity and we are still only 3-2 against them in the last decade.

We are always focused on the big game, or the big opponents like Oregon, Washington, UCLA and USC, but, if we would just take these other games more seriously, we would be bowling every year.

I hope we show gumption on Saturday because this game really matters.
82gradDLSdad
heartofthebear said:

azgreg said:

That's hard to hate.

I hate them for their lack of diversity.
sycasey
heartofthebear said:

MrGPAC said:

2008 - Lost 42-27.

Good outline, but, to be clear, the Vereen TD was icing on the cake. Cal was set to win by 1 anyway, thanks to Foles.

The TD actually kind of hurt us! Since we missed the extra point it gave Zona another chance to come back and tie the game (TD + 2 points). It would have been better for Vereen to just go down at the 5 yard line or something, so we could run out the clock.

Though I don't blame him too much for scoring . . . you can't expect the missed PAT. If we make that we're up by two scores.
HearstMining
82gradDLSdad said:

heartofthebear said:

azgreg said:

That's hard to hate.

Hey, they probably all grew up in that part of Arizona that borders Sweden.

"If I've only one life, let me live it as a blond . . ."
- Ad for Clairol from . . . the '70s?
BearoutEast67
Just visit that armpit they call Tucson. You'll find multiple reasons.
Donate to Cal's NIL at https://calegends.com/donation/
82gradDLSdad
HearstMining said:

82gradDLSdad said:

heartofthebear said:

azgreg said:

That's hard to hate.

Hey, they probably all grew up in that part of Arizona that borders Sweden.

"If I've only one life, let me live it as a blond . . ."
- Ad for Clairol from . . . the '70s?

Definitely demands further investigation.
bencgilmore
i actually have a pretty unreasonable disdain for any school with 'wildcat' for a mascot.

what they hell is a 'wildcat'? A feral housecat? A little bobcat? If the latter, why not call it bobcat?

it lacks originality and does not make sense. and there are about a dozen schools with wildcat mascots. i hope they all lose every game of any type unless they're playing stanford, usc and ucla
82gradDLSdad
SadbutTrue999 said:

i actually have a pretty unreasonable disdain for any school with 'wildcat' for a mascot.

what they hell is a 'wildcat'? A feral housecat? A little bobcat? If the latter, why not call it bobcat?

it lacks originality and does not make sense. and there are about a dozen schools with wildcat mascots. i hope they all lose every game of any type unless they're playing stanford, usc and ucla

Yes, not unique like Bears.
bencgilmore
Golden Bear = california grizzly = unique (if extinct) fauna. Even if we were just 'Bears', there are all of 2 other 'Bear' schools i can think of (Baylor and I guess UCLA). Whereas with wildcats...

Wildcat = fake cat = reads like something out of a fantasy story, except incredibly lazy and lame

See... told you it was an irrational disdain
82gradDLSdad
SadbutTrue999 said:

Golden Bear = california grizzly = unique (if extinct) fauna. Even if we were just 'Bears', there are all of 2 other 'Bear' schools i can think of (Baylor and I guess UCLA). Whereas with wildcats...

Wildcat = fake cat = reads like something out of a fantasy story, except incredibly lazy and lame

You win. You've done your research and presented your case flawlessly. Well done.
azgreg
We did have a fan throw a water bottle at an Oregon cheerleader once. Maybe that will help you guys.
sycasey
SadbutTrue999 said:

There are real animals called "wildcats," though technically they only live in Europe or Africa, not America.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wildcat

I think sometimes bobcats were also called "wildcats," so that's probably what the American team names refer to.
Cal8285
sycasey said:

heartofthebear said:

MrGPAC said:

2008 - Lost 42-27.

The TD actually kind of hurt us! Since we missed the extra point it gave Zona another chance to come back and tie the game (TD + 2 points). It would have been better for Vereen to just go down at the 5 yard line or something, so we could run out the clock.

Though I don't blame him too much for scoring . . . you can't expect the missed PAT. If we make that we're up by two scores.
I blame Vereen. I had bet Arizona at minus 2.5, there was a very narrow window for a double win, and it was looking good until Vereen got the TD. Getting a Cal win, of course, is more important than winning the bet (especially since it was only $20), but still, Vereen really should have gone down.
Strykur
Cal8285 said:

sycasey said:

heartofthebear said:

MrGPAC said:

2008 - Lost 42-27.

I blame Vereen. I had bet Arizona at minus 2.5, there was a very narrow window for a double win, and it was looking good until Vereen got the TD. Getting a Cal win, of course, is more important than winning the bet (especially since it was only $20), but still, Vereen really should have gone down.
All I remember is Tedford losing his mind after the TD because he wanted Vereen to go down, and then his head nearly exploding after the missed extra point.
JSC 76
On the plus side of the craziness:

1983: Arizona was ranked in the top 5. We pulled a huge upset by holding them to a tie, and just missing a 50+ yard FG at the gun that would have won it.

1996: The first year of overtime -- we go to 6OT and it ends when the Wildcats go for 2 and fail. OT rules are tweaked after that year, to make 2 pt conversions mandatory after a certain point.
72CalBear
Compared to other AZ school, ASU, UA comes out much better!!
bearister
heartofthebear said:

azgreg said:

That's hard to hate.

So what you are trying to say is:

"If lovin' them is wrong, you don't wanna be right."
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.