Wow! Congrats Coach Wilcox!!!

2,766 Views | 24 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by CALiforniALUM
Cal Strong!
How long do you want to ignore this user?
With today's historic win against Pac-12 powerhouse Arizona, Coach Wilcox emerged from the arena a mediocre football coach once again!!! Congratulations coach!!! You are no longer subpar!! You are precisely par!!

Coach Wilcox also helped Cal snap a six game losing streak to the mighty Arizona Wildcats.

But let's remember, Wilcox is only responsible for 3 of those 6 losses. He is now 1-3 against Arizona. Dykes lost the two before that, and Tedford lost the one before that.

Now 1-6 since 2010 may not sound particularly strong. And it is not. But let's not forget Arizona was coached over this period by elite coaches such as Mike Stoops, Rich Rodriguez, Kevin Sumlin, and Jedd Fisch. So we need to be patient and not expect too much from our mere-mortal but nevertheless heroic millionaire coaches.

Let us not dwell too much on the past. Coach Wilcox has just slain the mighty Jedd Fisch to achieve a strongly mediocre 29-29 overall record. And next week, he has the opportunity to defy all odds and achieve a slightly winning record in just his sixth season!

Congratulations Coach!!
bearister
I think you slipped out of your Turok Son of Stone accent like Tom Hanks slipped out of his Dutch accent in Elvis.
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
fredricbear69
Wow! What a way to go through life...GO BEARS!
eabandit
Ott was extremely strong today and we had largely strong performances by Woodson and Hunter. Putting Vatikani into a starting position was also a very strong move.

I am concerned with the defensive performance overall and we will see whether the defense is strong like usual or if today's performance was just a fluke.
DWM81
A Pac12 win is a Pac12 win CalStrong...
sonofabear51
Rich Rodriguez not exactly a class act either, IMHO
Start Slowly and taper off
Cal Strong!
eabandit said:

Ott was extremely strong today and we had largely strong performances by Woodson and Hunter. Putting Vatikani into a starting position was also a very strong move.

I am concerned with the defensive performance overall and we will see whether the defense is strong like usual or if today's performance was just a fluke.
Cal Strong no disagree with any of this. Ott a strong ray of sunshine. And the o-line adjustments were strong, albeit a few weeks late.

But you could go back to the last time Cal beat Arizona (in 2009) and make similar observations.

Mike Mohamed was extremely strong and we had largely strong performances by Skylar Curran and Josh Hill. Moving Vereen into a starting position was also a very strong move. Cal Strong concerned with the interception by Riley and missed kicks by Tevechio and we will see if kicking game is strong like usual or if today's performance was just a fluke.

There have always been rays of strong sunshine, even in subpar seasons. The point is that it should no take us 13 years, or Wilcox 6 years, to beat Arizona.
Cal88
Weak thread.
Cal Strong!
Cal88 said:

Weak thread.
Thread not weak . . . thread STRONG!

Coach Wilcox not weak . . . Coach Wilcox MEDIOCRE!

Mediocre NOT weak!
Gobears16
Cal Strong is a Strong joke…. I'd hate to live life through your eyes. Probably Strong chance you live a lonely life.

Can you just be happy Cal came out with a Strong Win?!? Prob not. Keep looking at glass half empty.
upsetof86
Calstrong is hilarious to me. How much simpler and simultaneously catastrophic my life would be if I made every decision on a binary scale, again it's really funny (to me). Maybe it's grating to some but I'm more than ok with the voice in the room. A lot of different, funny, and generally strong-- pardon the pun--personalities on this board keeps it interesting.
eabandit
Cal Strong is a strong poster. Being from Berkeley we should strongly accept voices from all points of view. If you dislike strong posts, you do not need to read them.
Cal Strong!
eabandit said:

Cal Strong is a strong poster. Being from Berkeley we should strongly accept voices from all points of view. If you dislike strong posts, you do not need to read them.
Gobears16 -- Cal Strong will be happy when Cal football is making significant progress under a winning coach towards the Rose Bowl. That pretty straightforward and strong criteria. But we no have a winning coach. And we no making progress towards a Rose Bowl. But Cal Strong strongly appreciate Gobears16 acknowledging Cal Strong strong. Much stronger to be a strong joke than a weak joke.

Strong post by upsetbear86 -- though Cal Strong no understand how all this "nuance" in decision making helps people. We have been plenty nuanced since we won our last Rose Bowl in 1938. All that nuance not help us win another one since then. Sandy was nuanced in selecting Sonny Dykes and financing stadium debt. Not strong. And Williams was super-duper nuanced in waiting until the coaching carousal had long since stopped to fire Dykes, leaving us only with Wilcox. It clear to Cal Strong we need less nuance and more strength.

eabandit posting stronger than spinach in a berry smoothie with no-sugar vanilla almond milk! Free speech not weak. We need more strong posters, and fewer weaker posters.
NVBear78
Cal Strong! said:

With today's historic win against Pac-12 powerhouse Arizona, Coach Wilcox emerged from the arena a mediocre football coach once again!!! Congratulations coach!!! You are no longer subpar!! You are precisely par!!

Coach Wilcox also helped Cal snap a six game losing streak to the mighty Arizona Wildcats.

But let's remember, Wilcox is only responsible for 3 of those 6 losses. He is now 1-3 against Arizona. Dykes lost the two before that, and Tedford lost the one before that.

Now 1-6 since 2010 may not sound particularly strong. And it is not. But let's not forget Arizona was coached over this period by elite coaches such as Mike Stoops, Rich Rodriguez, Kevin Sumlin, and Jedd Fisch. So we need to be patient and not expect too much from our mere-mortal but nevertheless heroic millionaire coaches.

Let us not dwell too much on the past. Coach Wilcox has just slain the mighty Jedd Fisch to achieve a strongly mediocre 29-29 overall record. And next week, he has the opportunity to defy all odds and achieve a slightly winning record in just his sixth season!

Congratulations Coach!!

The strong thing to do to celebrate a fun win for Cal today and the great improvement by our offensive line. Gives me much more hope for the season!

Go Bears!
Cal Strong!
NVBear78 said:

Cal Strong! said:

Congratulations Coach!!

The strong thing to do to celebrate a fun win for Cal today and the great improvement by our offensive line. Gives me much more hope for the season!

Go Bears!
The strongest thing to do is to win a Rose Bowl.

29-29 not strong. But it not weak either. So Cal Strong started this thread to congratulate Coach Wilcox on no longer being weak.
eabandit
No sugar vanilla almond milk is an incredibly strong component of a protein smoothie.

Now I think we can all agree that you can't go 12-1 and be Rose Bowl bound without going 3-1 first. That would be a very strong outcome to this season and dramatically increase Wilcox's strength rating.
Cal Strong!
eabandit said:

No sugar vanilla almond milk is an incredibly strong component of a protein smoothie.

Now I think we can all agree that you can't go 12-1 and be Rose Bowl bound without going 3-1 first. That would be a very strong outcome to this season and dramatically increase Wilcox's strength rating.
If that happens, Cal Strong will strongly support giving Wilcox a $40 million bonus and a lifetime contract.

The thing that a lot of weaker posters no understand is this not personal for Cal Strong.

If Wilcox can be a strong coach who can get us to a Rose Bowl, Cal Strong will love him forever.

If Saban took the HC job and hired Urban Meyer as his OC and Bill Parcells as his DC but goes 29-29 and 1-1 in the Cheez-It and Redbox bowl after 6 years, then Cal Strong would want him to be fired.

This no personal. It up to the coaches to be strong and win. If they do that, they strong. If they don't they weak. Strong and simple.
okaydo
Cal Strong! said:

Congratulations Coach!!

Wow. You really hit 'em with the hein with this take.
CALiforniALUM
eabandit said:

Would you be concerned if the defensive strategy was to keep everything in front of the defense, bend but not break, and force Arizona to work for every point? I think your frustration is simply born out of the strategy. Do we really want to play into a team that feeds off of explosive plays to get anything that amounts to a 73 yard score? I the best strategy may be to bet that AZ cannot when forced to connect on every play will show their inconsistency and turn the ball over without scoring.

You maybe right that a more high pressure game which shows and masks blitzes might get to their QB once or twice, but keep in mind their QB might be one of the better runners on the field in those situations. We leave our young secondary in the situation of having to cover a bunch of receivers who specialize in finding the seams and exploiting space.

While it is trendy to pile on the coaches based on the team's performance, when it all comes together we need to show some grace in supporting the effort, scheme, and execution because if it works once it might work again if given the chance. I know Wilcox being successful might make a few posters question their own expertise and expressed beliefs, but geez Louise let everybody pretend for a second that we support our team rather than contest the result when we lose and contest the strategy when we win.
Richmondbear2
Considering the OP, did you expect better?
Cal Strong!
CALiforniALUM said:

While it is trendy to pile on the coaches based on the team's performance

I know Wilcox being successful might make a few posters question their own expertise and expressed beliefs
There nothing "trendy" about judging a coach based on his performance. Maybe on Bearinsider, but nowhere else. That how coaches have always been judged.

Wilcox is 29-29. That no successful. That mediocre.
burritos
Chronic unhappiness>chronic stress>chronic elevated cortisol> chronic elevated serum glucose> chronic elevated insulin> insulin resistance>chronic disease, hypertension, cancer, neuro degeneration, mood disorder. Eve if you do bench press.
Cal Strong!
burritos said:

Chronic unhappiness>chronic stress>chronic elevated cortisol> chronic elevated serum glucose> chronic elevated insulin> insulin resistance>chronic disease, hypertension, cancer, neuro degeneration, mood disorder
Chronic excuses masked as internet wellness blabber > inability to squat 400 lbs > inability to select strong smoothie flavors because you didn't really earn it > chronic weakness.
eabandit
OK. I didn't mean to be a downer. I'm ecstatic about the win and it's going to make my week.

But, since Wilcox took the helm we have the following data of games where the opponent scored 30 or greater:

* 2021 season: 3
* 2020 season: 2
* 2019 season: 2
* 2018 season: 2
* 2017 season: 6 <-- maybe a holdover from Dykes era?

We've already "used up" one of those games, and it was against Arizona.

I'm just thinking that Arizona isn't a top 25 team and they largely ran through our defense like a slice of Dykes-branded swiss cheese. There were some key skill players on our defense and the offense obviously played extremely well but the defensive performance wasn't as strong as usual.

Mostly I was just surprised because this game didn't feel like a Wilcox game at all.
CALiforniALUM
eabandit said:

OK. I didn't mean to be a downer. I'm ecstatic about the win and it's going to make my week.

But, since Wilcox took the helm we have the following data of games where the opponent scored 30 or greater:

* 2021 season: 3
* 2020 season: 2
* 2019 season: 2
* 2018 season: 2
* 2017 season: 6 <-- maybe a holdover from Dykes era?

We've already "used up" one of those games, and it was against Arizona.

I'm just thinking that Arizona isn't a top 25 team and they largely ran through our defense like a slice of Dykes-branded swiss cheese. There were some key skill players on our defense and the offense obviously played extremely well but the defensive performance wasn't as strong as usual.

Mostly I was just surprised because this game didn't feel like a Wilcox game at all.

I'll take you at your word that you are ecstatic about the win. I'm on cloud 9 too.

Here is an interesting experiment. Using historical data pick all the remaining games for this season including the score for each game. If past performance is a predictor of future performance you should be able to kill it. Let's also say that any game Cal wins but our opponent scores more than 30 counts as a loss for the purposes of this analysis.

Old timers around here will remember Bearplay. It was essentially an exercise around picking both the winner and point spread for each game. Players accumulated points based on their accuracy in picking the future correctly based on past team performance. I can assure you that while there was always a winner in Bearplay the relative success of most players picking the outcomes was not great. You have to be careful to not interpret data to make a point you want, but instead show whether your theory actually works in practice. Happy picking!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.