New offensive coordinator at ASU: Beau Baldwin

2,455 Views | 22 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by heartofthebear
BearSD
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Reportedly, Baldwin will also be the offensive play caller there.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/35165944/arizona-state-hire-cal-poly-beau-baldwin-oc

DiabloWags
So he goes from being HC of a 4 - 21 program over three years to another OC job.
The dude has Nine Lives.

lol
"Cults don't end well. They really don't."
Strykur
They're screwed.
OneKeg
Maybe. It would be funnier if we weren't in such a hole ourselves.

Yeah, Baldwin and Ragle haven't exactly covered themselves in glory after they left Berkeley. But I feel there's a chance they will do better at ASU than they did at Cal.

With ASU, Ragle will probably recruit up a storm in Zona. And Baldwin will have some talent to work with. He may not make the same mistakes he made at Cal. Really his offense wasn't too bad at the very end of his tenure after the first couple games and with a healthy Garbers. Once he finally let Chase do what Chase does best. Just took way too long to get there, and Cal's talent wasn't good enough to make up for his mistakes.
Cal_79
OneKeg said:

Yeah, Baldwin and Ragle haven't exactly covered themselves in glory after they left Berkeley. But I feel there's a chance they will do better at ASU than they did at Cal.

With ASU, Ragle will probably recruit up a storm in Zona. And Baldwin will have some talent to work with. He may not make the same mistakes he made at Cal. Really his offense wasn't too bad at the very end of his tenure after the first couple games and with a healthy Garbers. Once he finally let Chase do what Chase does best. Just took way too long to get there, and Cal's talent wasn't good enough to make up for his mistakes.

Curious to know, how much of Baldwin's offense at Cal had Wilcox's foot on the brakes?
Goobear
Cal_79 said:

OneKeg said:

Curious to know, how much of Baldwin's offense at Cal had Wilcox's foot on the brakes?
Who at Cal Poly…
killa22
"While he was the OC, the Bears finished the 2017, 2018 and 2019 football seasons with the 11th, 12th and 12th ranked offenses respectively (out of 12 teams) in the Pac-12 in yards per game. During those same seasons, the Bears finished with the 10th, 12th and 12th-ranked offenses in the Pac-12 in total points per game."
BearSD
killa22 said:

"While he was the OC, the Bears finished the 2017, 2018 and 2019 football seasons with the 11th, 12th and 12th ranked offenses respectively (out of 12 teams) in the Pac-12 in yards per game. During those same seasons, the Bears finished with the 10th, 12th and 12th-ranked offenses in the Pac-12 in total points per game."

Sounds like that wiki page was written by one of our more bitter Bear Insider posters.
Strykur
BearSD said:

killa22 said:

Sounds like that wiki page was written by one of our more bitter Bear Insider posters.
Numbers don't lie.
BearSD
Strykur said:

BearSD said:

killa22 said:

Numbers don't lie.

Numbers don't lie, but that quote has the whiff of one of our obsessively bitter posters who repeat their same comment about Wilcox, or Musgrave, or formerly Baldwin, 25 times in every football game thread.
hbear777
ASU also hires Cosby and Musgrave as co- DC's, reflecting their ability to halt offenses
heartofthebear
ASU AKA CRU (Cal Revival University). I mean even Herm Edwards had former Cal ties.
Apparently election results aren't the only results that folks in Arizona are in denial about.
heartofthebear
Cal_79 said:

OneKeg said:

I'm curious to know what Baldwin said in the interview that got him the job. I'm sure he had some dirt on Wilcox/Cal as an excuse for how he did here.

Or maybe Knowlton's twin brother is running the ASU program.
golden sloth
OneKeg said:

The one distinction I believe needs to be made in comparing the tenures of Baldwin and Musgrave at the helm of the offense, is that Musgrave had MUCH better offensive players to work with. Some of the skill players Baldwin was forced to work with were barely passable those first few years. Meanwhile, Musgrave has what I consider the best set of skill players since Tedford (though peak Sonny can give a healthy challenge).
oski003
golden sloth said:

OneKeg said:

The one distinction I believe needs to be made in comparing the tenures of Baldwin and Musgrave at the helm of the offense, is that Musgrave had MUCH better offensive players to work with. Some of the skill players Baldwin was forced to work with were barely passable those first few years. Meanwhile, Musgrave has what I consider the best set of skill players since Tedford (though peak Sonny can give a healthy challenge).

Sonny had better skill players than we just had this past season, only because our skill players were practically all freshmen.
calumnus
golden sloth said:

OneKeg said:

Baldwin had some great offensive talent in 2017, but several transferred and others he failed to use. It did get worse in 2018 and 2019.
calumnus
Strykur said:

They're screwed.

So strange that a good OC like Dillingham would choose him. Wonder how that happened.

I guess Dillingham can always take back playcalling.
southseasbear
Interesting discussion on which OC was worse, Baldwin or Musgrave.

Both were terrible. What I wonder is whether Wilcox was unaware of their deficiencies or if he knew but chose to tolerate them.
Fire Knowlton!
Fire Fox!
Put Wilcox in a hot seat!
heartofthebear
southseasbear said:

Both were terrible. What I wonder is whether Wilcox was unaware of their deficiencies or if he knew but chose to tolerate them.
Wilcox is a work in progress. Suggesting he knew anything early on is wishful thinking. He has been learning on the job and, while he often gets things right eventually, it takes him way too long to get there.
southseasbear
heartofthebear said:

southseasbear said:

Wilcox is a work in progress. Suggesting he knew anything early on is wishful thinking. He has been learning on the job and, while he often gets things right eventually, it takes him way too long to get there.
We knew he would be a work in progress when he was hired and that there would be growing pains. Nevertheless, as an experienced defense coordinator, shouldn't he have been able to identify weaknesses on the offensive side (which could be and would be exploited by a competent defensive coordinator)?
Fire Knowlton!
Fire Fox!
Put Wilcox in a hot seat!
Rushinbear
southseasbear said:

"Just maintain possession as long as you can. We'll take care of the scoring, although you might have to finish off a few turnovers now and then."
bearsandgiants
heartofthebear said:

southseasbear said:

5million per year is a lot to spend onboarding a new hire
heartofthebear
bearsandgiants said:

heartofthebear said:

southseasbear said:

5million per year is a lot to spend onboarding a new hire
Cal has always been willing to spend more for losing coaches than winning coaches.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.