It's official: Deion Sanders to CU

3,169 Views | 38 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Eastern Oregon Bear
Nofado
How long do you want to ignore this user?
https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/35176614/colorado-buffaloes-name-deion-sanders-head-coach
BearoutEast67
I wonder if that 5star feels silly about committing to Jackson St only to see Sanders leave.
Donate to Cal's NIL at https://calegends.com/donation/
PtownBear1
BearoutEast67 said:

I wonder if that 5star feels silly about committing to Jackson St only to see Sanders leave.

Doubt it as he could just transfer to CU if he wants.
okaydo

BearSD
okaydo said:

Embree, Tucker, Dorrell, Sanders.

I was wondering if any team had hired as many as four. Guess the Buffs are the first.
westcoast101
BearoutEast67 said:

He'll obviously follow Deion if he wants to.
aws56
westcoast101 said:

BearoutEast67 said:

Like his son?
aws56
aws56 said:

westcoast101 said:

BearoutEast67 said:

I'm actually kind of shocked by this move. feels very short sighted by prime. If I was him would have hung on for a better offer than Colorado.

Like his son?
okaydo

GivemTheAxe
Nofado said:

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/35176614/colorado-buffaloes-name-deion-sanders-head-coach

A few weeks ago Coach prime was one of the featured reports on Sixty Minutes. Coach Prime Got a lot of good press out of that story
I wonder if that positive press provided Colorado cover for its decision?
BearSD
GivemTheAxe said:

Nofado said:

A few weeks ago Coach prime was one of the featured reports on Sixty Minutes. Coach Prime Got a lot of good press out of that story
I wonder if that positive press provided Colorado cover for its decision?
Colorado didn't need cover; things have been going so poorly for them that they wanted to take a big swing on a new coach, even if it ultimately turns out to be a whiff. CU football has been down, way down, ever since they (correctly) forced out Gary Barnett at the end of the 2005 season. We think Cal football has been bad recently, but CU has been much worse. From 2006-2022, Cal football has won 48% of its games, while CU has won 34%.
wifeisafurd
This is gong to be fun to watch. Pac getting more exciting.
okaydo
wifeisafurd said:

Could this benefit the pac 12 media package?
wifeisafurd
okaydo said:

wifeisafurd said:

Could this benefit the pac 12 media package?
Good question. My two cents:

Timing wise I think the TV/streaming bids already are in and being analyzed by the Pac college CEOs. The TV contract is supposed to be part of the discussion at the UC Regents meeting coming up mid-December about UCLA. That said, the thinking is that it is relatively short deal, like 4 or 5 years, so if Sanders has success and stays in the Pac, the next deal would be helped. Also to the extent there incentive based compensation, Sanders has got to help ratings big time.

Big qualification is we are all sorta tying to read the tea leaves at this juncture.
CalGrad95
Bracing for the meltdown on this Board when the FUrd hires Troy Taylor.
ColoradoBear
CalGrad95 said:

Bracing for the meltdown on this Board when the FUrd hires Troy Taylor.

Furd would be a good proving ground for his next gig.
CalGrad95

Modern problems require modern solutions
ColoradoBear
10k season tickets at $300-500 will cover that. Seems very doable.
okaydo
killa22
He's bringing his own baggage, and it's LV.
Lmao
GoCal80
Seems he plans to clean house and get his own guys in asap through the transfer portal:

https://www.si.com/college/2022/12/05/deion-sanders-encourages-colorado-players-to-enter-transfer-portal-video

"I'm coming. And when I get here, it's gonna be changed. So I want y'all to get ready to go ahead and jump in the portal and do whatever you're gonna get because more of you jump [into the portal] the more room you make."
dimitrig
GoCal80 said:

Seems he plans to clean house and get his own guys in asap through the transfer portal:

https://www.si.com/college/2022/12/05/deion-sanders-encourages-colorado-players-to-enter-transfer-portal-video

"I'm coming. And when I get here, it's gonna be changed. So I want y'all to get ready to go ahead and jump in the portal and do whatever you're gonna get because more of you jump [into the portal] the more room you make."

Anyone on Colorado's roster Cal might be interested in poaching?

ColoradoBear
dimitrig said:

GoCal80 said:

Uh, what? Sounds like Sanders intent is to drive out lower talent and/or complacent players. CU was awful.
PtownBear1
GoCal80 said:

Sort of like Fox did when he was first hired, except with the minor nuance that Fox pushed out productive P5 players to replace them with D3 level players. But otherwise, basically the same!
ferCALgm2
dimitrig said:

GoCal80 said:

It might be more the other way around.
aws56
ferCALgm2 said:

dimitrig said:

GoCal80 said:

A few days on the job and he already has a better recruiting class then us. Helps when you can get your best players to transfer with you.
FloriDreaming
aws56 said:

ferCALgm2 said:

dimitrig said:

GoCal80 said:

A few days on the job and he already has a better recruiting class then us. Helps when you can get your best players to transfer with you.

It also helps to be a very good coach to begin with.
sefton
It crossed my mind with the Coach Prime hire and hoopla: That a large number of CFB fans xross the country will take note of Colorado's poor recent, excluding the one off season, record and review the past schedules.

Many will see the Buff's only win in 22 was against us....many more for the first time, thus further infusing our irrelevance.
GOLDEN
okaydo said:

Colorado is the first FBS program to hire four different Black head coaches, and the first to fire three consecutive Black head coaches.

ColoradoBear
GOLDEN said:

okaydo said:

Colorado is the first FBS program to hire four different Black head coaches, and the first to fire three consecutive Black head coaches.

Actually not even two consecutive black coaches fired, McIntyre was white and fired, Mel Tucker left for MSU $$$, Karl Dorrel fired, and Deion Sanders was just hired.
Big C

I'm setting the over/under on the tenure of "Coach Prime" at Colorado at 2.5 years (any reason for leaving counts).

You like the over, or the under?
Nofado
I'd take the over.
BearSD
Big C said:

I'm setting the over/under on the tenure of "Coach Prime" at Colorado at 2.5 (any reason for leaving counts).

That's the right line, I think. I'd take the under. Two years and "Prime" gets bored or frustrated, some TV network offers him a prominent position as a commentator on their NFL studio show, he jumps at it. Or, two years of unbelievable success and then he becomes the next coach at Florida State.

When I read today that Deion had hired Kent State's head coach to be the OC at Colorado, I thought, that guy has set himself up to become the CU head coach when Deion leaves in a couple of years.
concordtom
wifeisafurd said:

When I saw the 60 Minutes piece, I was like, "wow, Deion stands for something noble in his old age. Cool."

Because, you know, Prime was ALL about himself in his playing days. Pretty much a huge jerk!

But at the end of the piece, he said he would "have to" take a listen to any big5 conference schools who came knocking on his door, and I immediately said, "nope, same old Deion!"

So, am I surprised he left Jackson State? Not in the least!
Am I surprised it happened so fast?
Yes.
Am I surprised it was Colorado?
Very much!
Am I excited about him leaving Jackson State? Certainly not.
Am
I excited he's going to be in the Pac 12, er uh, 10?
Hell no! I would never want to see him.

The real question is how long he's at Colorado before he bolts to an SEC team?

I'll start the Over/Under at 4 years.
Anyone? Anyone?

PS: I sure hope Cal doesn't bring itself down into the gutter.
But it probably will.
concordtom
Big C said:

I'm setting the over/under on the tenure of "Coach Prime" at Colorado at 2.5 years (any reason for leaving counts).

Lol!!!
I should have read some more posts!
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.