Hey Dodgers Fans

983,252 Views | 5496 Replies | Last: 4 days ago by MiZery
NVGolfingBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
YuSeeBerkeley;842121025 said:

I'll readily admit that I don't know everything Cal sports related, particularly events that took place prior to my attendance, but that's a pretty serious leap in logic to assume that that makes me a troll. I dormed in Unit 3, Priestley my freshman year. I lived in an apartment next to the Foothill dorms on Ridge Road my sophomore and junior year. I lived at Parker and Ellsworth my senior year. I had season tix for football all four years and suffered through the Holmoe 1 win season. The highlight of that season was a dog show during halftime where these two dogs tracked down a bunch of frisbees to the crowd's delight. The micman even came out and requested that we give our team at least half the enthusiasm we gave to those dogs. Yes, I'm from SoCal and root for the Dodgers and Lakers, but guess what? There's a lot of people who graduated from Cal who are from LA who probably do the same. Doesn't make us trolls.

Just a quick thought...

Yes I think Yu is acting a little 'trollish' , but anybody who sat through the Holmoecaust of 1-10, earns some points on the good side.
sycasey
KoreAmBear;842121050 said:

Friggin last place in the NL West.

This has been a nightmare since around the All-Star break last year. The first half of the season last year was just too perfect: Matty going crazy, Dodgers overachieving, etc. Then it's like they turned into a pumpkin and it hasn't stopped. Wait, dems Giants colors. First thing is to get rid of Ned. Signing fatboys Andruw Jones and then Juan Uribe to lucrative contracts are Exhibits A and B for why he has to go. Bailing the Red Sox and Marlins out of crazy contracts for has-beens are just supporting documentation. I know Guggenheim put him up to it, but use your brain Ned. *sigh*

In fairness, the Dodgers have suffered a horrible injury bug this year and you can't blame all of that on Colletti.

On the other hand, when you throw money at big guys on the wrong side of 30 (Jones, Uribe, A-Gonz) or guys with recent injury history (Beckett, Crawford, HanRam), you have to expect that this kind of thing will happen.
NYCGOBEARS
I'm all for "forgiving and forgetting". I'd just prefer that a fellow alum be more gracious and civil towards other alums.
B.A. Bearacus
Matt Kemp being a really cool guy towards a disabled fan at ATT (Giants fans give props):

Possible Cal connection: Kemp is wearing a "Beast Mode" shirt (hope this is something that Marshawn gets a cut of!)

"Matt Kemp is such a great person. He came over after the game and made one of my best friends night he's fighting a tough battle and this was such a great gift by Matt Kemp ! I'll never forget this."

Kemp gives the fan a signed ball. Then he gives him his hat. That's not the end, he gives him his jersey and shoes!

NYCGOBEARS
B.A. Bearacus;842121084 said:

Matt Kemp being a really cool guy towards a disabled fan at ATT (Giants fans give props):

Possible Cal connection: Kemp is wearing a "Beast Mode" shirt (hope this is something that Marshawn gets a cut of!)

"Matt Kemp is such a great person. He came over after the game and made one of my best friends night he's fighting a tough battle and this was such a great gift by Matt Kemp ! I'll never forget this."

Kemp gives the fan a signed ball. Then he gives him his hat. That's not the end, he gives him his jersey and shoes!

That's a class act. Kudos to Kemp.
KoreAmBear
sycasey;842121064 said:

In fairness, the Dodgers have suffered a horrible injury bug this year and you can't blame all of that on Colletti.

On the other hand, when you throw money at big guys on the wrong side of 30 (Jones, Uribe, A-Gonz) or guys with recent injury history (Beckett, Crawford, HanRam), you have to expect that this kind of thing will happen.

The two biggest injuries have been to Greinke and surprisingly - to Mark Ellis, who was off to the hottest start of his career (.342). Well lucky they have 162 games to work this out at some point.
sycasey
KoreAmBear;842121157 said:

The two biggest injuries have been to Greinke and surprisingly - to Mark Ellis, who was off to the hottest start of his career (.342). Well lucky they have 162 games to work this out at some point.

True, the Greinke injury could not have been predicted (nor the circumstances!).
KoreAmBear
sycasey;842121159 said:

True, the Greinke injury could not have been predicted (nor the circumstances!).

Anything bad that happens involves a Furd.
BowDowntoWashington
The Dodgers have had a ton of injuries to key players.

Hanley Ramirez - missed the first month of the season with a torn ligament in his thumb. Will now be out 3+ weeks with a hamstring injury.
Zack Greinke - will end up missing about 2 months due to being attacked by roided up Stanford thug Carlos San Quentin
Chad Billingsley - lost for the season due to TJ surgery
Carl Crawford - has already missed 4-5 games with a hamstring injury (came back for the Giants series)
Matt Kemp - hasn't missed any time, but power is gone right now due to offseason shoulder surgery
Mark Ellis - on the DL with a strained quad. Has already missed about 10 games

I don't think any team in the majors would survive with that many injuries to key players.
KoreAmBear
BowDowntoWashington;842121168 said:

The Dodgers have had a ton of injuries to key players.

Hanley Ramirez - missed the first month of the season with a torn ligament in his thumb. Will now be out 3+ weeks with a hamstring injury.
Zack Greinke - will end up missing about 2 months due to being attacked by roided up Stanford thug Carlos San Quentin
Chad Billingsley - lost for the season due to TJ surgery
Carl Crawford - has already missed 4-5 games with a hamstring injury (came back for the Giants series)
Matt Kemp - hasn't missed any time, but power is gone right now due to offseason shoulder surgery
Mark Ellis - on the DL with a strained quad. Has already missed about 10 games

I don't think any team in the majors would survive with that many injuries to key players.

Gonzo missed most of the Giant series due to random minor injuries. Ted Lilly started two games and is back on the DL. Chris Capuano strained something and appears not to be 100% and is getting rocked all the time. Stephen Fife the guy that replaced Billingsley and was pretty decent, is on the 15 day DL. The beat continues . . .
OneKeg
YuSeeBerkeley;842121029 said:

Now, these are your words: "But yeah the whole LA "we're so cool, just look at our past championships, your recent success is nothing unless you win a championship, how lame that you enjoy it" routine is weak. Smacks of anger and denial. A bit like UW fans talking about James era."

You're comparing LA fans to Udub fans talking about something that happened over two decades ago.

Perhaps I wasn't clear. The problem is not the pride (UW or Laker fans for example) in past championships, regardless of how long ago they were. You should absolutely have pride, as should the UW fans, setting aside UW James-era shadiness for now.

The issue arises when you try to levergage those past championships to belittle recent accomplishments of rivals which fall short of championship level. That belittling is what smacks of anger and denial.

Edited to add: I will say that looking at my posts, I see that I was wrong to the extent I implied that this behavior is specific to LA fans. There is a segment of every fan-base that has experienced championships (including bay area fans) that acts like this. I was wrong to single out LA fans or you in this regard and for that, I apologize. I still find the behavior lame though... seems much better to just say "good run" or "good season" and leave it at that. Everyone already knows about your championships. This would apply equally if say the Dodgers get hot and make a MLB playoff run (but aren't champs) this year, and the Giants fall off and don't make the playoffs - some Giants fans would belittle the Dodgers playoff run for not ending in a championship, and that would be equally weak.
GMP
NYCGOBEARS;842121068 said:

I'm all for "forgiving and forgetting". I'd just prefer that a fellow alum be more gracious and civil towards other alums.

He should be most shamed (and ashamed) about the fact that he is still acting like this when he was a student during 2001, which means he is now older than or darn close to 30. I figured he was a student now by his tone.
YuSeeBerkeley
grandmastapoop;842121198 said:

He should be most shamed (and ashamed) about the fact that he is still acting like this when he was a student during 2001, which means he is now older than or darn close to 30. I figured he was a student now by his tone.

GMP, the authority on maturity and respect for fellow alums. Hilarious.
CalBear68
YuSeeBerkeley;842121220 said:

GMP, the authority on maturity and respect for fellow alums. Hilarious.

That irrepressible charm of yours comes through more clearly with each successive post. Keep up the good work! I was wrong to imply that you were a troll. Sorry!
heartofthebear
FWIW here's a few links that might be interesting.
2013 MLB payrolls for each team
current MLB standings
Here's the 2012 payrolls
2012 final MLB standings

If you do the math, both LA clubs are paying considerably more than both bay area clubs per win over the last 2 years.*

*I'm extrapolating this year's win totals for a full 162 games. I also include playoff wins. So,
SF= 200 (payroll for 2 yrs.= $259,801,016) WS Champs, currently in first place.
Oak=177 (payroll= $123,949,500) Division Champs with 94 wins
LAD=150 (=$311,446,484) 86 wins last year, currently in last place
LAA=143 ($296,650,416) 89 wins last year. Would be in last place if it weren't for the lowly Astros joining their division.
2ndTrumpetBear
Seemed like a good time to bump this thread.
NYCGOBEARS
2ndTrumpetBear;842133957 said:

Congrats for the moment.
CalBearS916Fan
2ndTrumpetBear;842133957 said:

Get out the brooms #THINKBLUE
CalBear68
CalBearS916Fan;842133972 said:

Get out the brooms #THINKBLUE

..... and rev up the bandwagon.
sycasey
Giants have been playing like crap for about a month now -- no surprise here.
KoreAmBear
CalBear68;842133973 said:

Sure. Only the Dodgers have one.
CalBearS916Fan
CalBear68;842133973 said:

Nope sorry definitely not a bandwagon fan I bleed Dodger blue I've been a Dodger fan all my life i'm from Compton I got the Dodger symbol tatted on me just like i do my raiders. I'm diehard with all my teams!!!!
CalBear68
KoreAmBear;842133989 said:

Sure. Only the Dodgers have one.

No, they can share the one used by the fans of the other "LA" team to the south.
chazzed
NYCGOBEARS
chazzed;842134043 said:

We deserved it. Great series by the Dodgers. Puig is the real deal. Unfortunately. :-(
chazzed
NYCGOBEARS;842134046 said:

We deserved it. Great series by the Dodgers. Puig is the real deal. Unfortunately. :-(

We'll see, but he's certainly off to a legendary start. The real test always comes the second time around the league.

I was just pleased to see Kershaw get a win.
CalBearS916Fan
chazzed;842134061 said:

We'll see, but he's certainly off to a legendary start. The real test always comes the second time around the league.

I was just pleased to see Kershaw get a win.

You know he does win when our bullpen doesn't blow it which happens way to often this season league is the worst send him down. He has blown to many saves.
atoms
chazzed;842134043 said:

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

:woohoo:woohoo:woohoo:woohoo:woohoo:woohoo:woohoo:woohoo:woohoo:woohoo

:bluecarrot::bluecarrot::bluecarrot::bluecarrot::bluecarrot::bluecarrot::bluecarrot:
CalBear68
They're crawling out of the woodwork now, with their tiny little brooms, sweeping the way ahead for their increasingly more crowded bandwagon, low-riding its way out of dodger-land. Look out citizens!
2ndTrumpetBear
CalBear68;842134269 said:

They're crawling out of the woodwork now, with their tiny little brooms, sweeping the way ahead for their increasingly more crowded bandwagon, low-riding its way out of dodger-land. Look out citizens!

How 'bout some Cheese with that Whine? :rollinglaugh: :rollinglaugh: :rollinglaugh:
Cal_Fan2

LOL....that is what happens when some Giants fan riding high on beating L.A. early on starts a thread with this....

Quote:

Vogelsong > Kershaw

If you then turn around and end up in next to last place with your pitching going to hell and injuries mounting and just getting swept by the Dodgers.. well, this is what happens baby......:p
GB54
Giants-Dodgers. Two bald men fighting over a comb.
KoreAmBear

There weren't a ton of Veni Vidi Vixi Giants fans either. If you are one of them, congrats -- but there weren't many sellouts during the Candlestick era, now were there? A shiny new stadium with gorgeous view, now all the real fans come out? Of course this isn't fair, but just using your logic.

I took my lumps on this thread, and probably will do so again. So take yours too, my friend. Until then, I really love my little broom. Go Doyers! Go Bears!
KoreAmBear
CalBearS916Fan;842133992 said:

Nope sorry definitely not a bandwagon fan I bleed Dodger blue I've been a Dodger fan all my life i'm from Compton I got the Dodger symbol tatted on me just like i do my raiders. I'm diehard with all my teams!!!!

Good deal. My uncle took me to my first Dodger game around 79 when I was 8; Doug Rau was the starter that game. I don't know how I remember that, but I do.
NYCGOBEARS
KoreAmBear;842134282 said:

I took my lumps on this thread, and probably will do so again. So take yours too, my friend. Until then, I really love my little broom. Go Doyers! Go Bears!

I can vouche for KAB's lumps. He took them like a man.

Until next time my friend.... Enjoy Doyers fans. Enjoy.
First Page Last Page
Page 16 of 158

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.