Official Questions About Board Features Thread

53,233 Views | 111 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by BearForce2
sycasey
How long do you want to ignore this user?
bearister said:

Redonkulous Bear said:

No avatars like on vbulletin format?

When you go to that area where you type in your personal profile info there is a field for a photo. Paste in the image web address of your avatar photo. When you click on a posters name a window opens up showing their avatar, number of posts, and join date.
Where do you go for this? I see an field for a photo, but I'm not able to click on it.
TheSouseFamily
sycasey said:

bearister said:

Redonkulous Bear said:

When you go to that area where you type in your personal profile info there is a field for a photo. Paste in the image web address of your avatar photo. When you click on a posters name a window opens up showing their avatar, number of posts, and join date.
Where do you go for this? I see an field for a photo, but I'm not able to click on it.

You have to paste a link to a web image.
HighlandDutch
Like blungld, I'm curious about whether there's a "mark all forums read" feature. Thanks.
BearGreg
Staff
blungld said:

Questions:

1) Is there a way to select "new posts" as there was on the old site so that you see all new posts from all forums in one list? It looks like right now you have to go forum by forum to see posts since the last time you logged on which is sort of a drag.

2) Is there a marked posts as read option so that you make everything appear to have been read (again, like the old boards) so that only new stuff shows as unread?

3) Is there an option to view only new posts so that if you want you don't need to see all posts in a forum and can limit the thread view?
Great questions - Unfortunately, today we're not set up to deliver the same lens that the old site did in regard to new posts across all forums. The good news is that unlike our old platform, this one evolves. So after we've all lived here together for awhile, we will be looking at priority requests to make it better and better.

In the interim, I've been using Watchlists as a way of organizing my forum activity. Here's the refresher:

The Watchlist
If you've made a post on the site, you may have noticed a blue notification at the top right side of your page. If not, just look for the binoculars icon. That's your Watchlist. Its main purpose is to help you keep track of conversations across the forums. It's pretty simple: if someone posts a new reply into any thread that's in your Watchlist, you'll get a notification. Just roll over or tap the blue icon to see how many new replies there are and click that number to be taken to the first unread reply.

There are three ways to add a thread to your Watchlist...
1. Every thread you start is automatically added
2. Every thread you post on is automatically added
3. You can click "Watch Topic" (desktop) or the Binoculars icon (mobile) at the top of the thread

There are four ways to remove a thread from your Watchlist...
1. Click the "X" icon on the left side of the Watchlist drop-down
2. Click the "X" icon on the right side of the full Watchlist page
3. Click the "Stop Watching" or the Binoculars icon (mobile) at the top of the thread
4. Once a thread has gone 30 days without a new reply, it's automatically removed
TomBear
I hate change, because I am so bad at cyber related issues. But the new look is clean, and I will get used to it the more I use it. Like many other Cal traditions, I'll miss the old look

I have to repeat a question I submitted just a few days ago because now the format has changed and the instructions I got to my question no longer work.

I'm interested in the boards of our competitors. How do I now find them?
TomBear
Also, I see that personal messages from the past appear to be deleted. Is there a way to access them again, or are they gone for good. There were a couple of people I wanted to contact during the season, but who we did not keep up communication offseason.
sycasey
TheSouseFamily said:

sycasey said:

bearister said:

Redonkulous Bear said:

But where? What's the click path?
Yogi58
sycasey said:

TheSouseFamily said:

sycasey said:

bearister said:

Redonkulous Bear said:

Mouse over the head icon (to the right of your login name). Select Settings. Go down to Profile Photo. Paste in the internet link to your profile photo. Click the Save button.
Redonkulous Bear
sycasey said:

TheSouseFamily said:

sycasey said:

bearister said:

Redonkulous Bear said:

Copy and paste the image location like this:

Then click update.
http://i.imgur.com/mNs8KsU.jpg
sycasey
Redonkulous Bear said:

sycasey said:

TheSouseFamily said:

sycasey said:

bearister said:

Redonkulous Bear said:

Copy and paste the image location like this:

Then click update.
Ahh, I see. It's further down the page. Thanks!
PtownBear1
Is there an app in the works? Seems like some features from desktop aren't translating to iPhone. For example the gray number next to the thread count showing threads that haven't been read.
Cal89
1. Who has an avatar? I don't see anyone in this thread, nor others I've visited. With that, it might be on me, my settings, or browser?

I did the profile photo, just something I grabbed-off the web, but that only seems to be if someone wants to view my profile, which makes sense.

2. Are all of our private messages (PMs) gone? Signature, photos, etc?

3. When reviewing a thread, how to tell which users are active or online, a green dot before? Made it nice in case a personal reach-out (PM) was desired at that time...

EDIT/ADD:

4. On the previous forum one could tell the OP, the one who started a thread, and also the most recent poster. Is that possible here?

Overall, quite happy with the new home.
Sig test...
rkt88edmo
Don't see an option to adjust the number of posts per pgae when viewing threads.
OBear073akaSMFan
Not sure if it was mentioned in this thread but will be be links to other Pac-12 messageboards? Wanted to read comments from other pac-12 teams.
OBear073akaSMFan
Yeah loss all of my honey shots !!!
75bear
SFBear2012 said:

Is there an app in the works? Seems like some features from desktop aren't translating to iPhone. For example the gray number next to the thread count showing threads that haven't been read.

Yes - this seems to be a major problem on mobile. On Desktop, there is the dark gray box with the number of unread replies (that is next to the total number of replies box). If I click the number of unread replies on Desktop, I go directly to the first post I haven't read.

On Mobile (which is what I use 99% of the time), it seems there is no way to go to the first unread reply. Does anyone know if there is a way to do this? If not, this is a fatal flaw - Mobile will be unusable.

Maybe the solution is to use the Desktop site on a Mobile device?

Any help would be appreciated.
Yogi58
75bear said:

SFBear2012 said:

Yes - this seems to be a major problem on mobile. On Desktop, there is the dark gray box with the number of unread replies (that is next to the total number of replies box). If I click the number of unread replies on Desktop, I go directly to the first post I haven't read.

On Mobile (which is what I use 99% of the time), it seems there is no way to go to the first unread reply. Does anyone know if there is a way to do this? If not, this is a fatal flaw - Mobile will be unusable.

I'm not a big mobile user, but I was using it last night and I clicked on the Total Posts button, which would go dark grey for threads that had new posts in it. Clicking on that button took me to the newest post.
Calfans
LACalFan said:

Any idea what the letters to the right of the usernames indicate?
I tried to copy and paste the information from the MORE drop menu, HELP link, but I got an error.

Here's the link to the FAQ https://bearinsider.com/help/faq
Cal-i-for-nia. (Clap, Clap)(Clap, Clap, Clap)

LACalFan
Calfans said:

LACalFan said:

Any idea what the letters to the right of the usernames indicate?
I tried to copy and paste the information from the MORE drop menu, HELP link, but I got an error.

Here's the link to the FAQ https://bearinsider.com/help/faq

Thanks, Calfans
BearGreg
Staff
75bear said:

SFBear2012 said:

Please see the sticky post "Mobile Bear Insider" at the top of the forum.
Goobear
Can I sort the board by most recent post!
Yogi58
Goobear said:

Can I sort the board by most recent post!
It's already sorted that way by default
75bear
Yogi Bear said:

I'm not a big mobile user, but I was using it last night and I clicked on the Total Posts button, which would go dark grey for threads that had new posts in it. Clicking on that button took me to the newest post.

Yogi Bear - You are exactly right - thank you very much! This is exactly how to get to the last unread reply on Mobile.

I'm giving you a blue star!
Chapman_is_Gone
It would be nice if there was a way to block threads I don't want to see. As a Padres fan, it annoys me on a nearly daily basis to see the stupid "hey dodger fans" thread. (Which doesn't belong on this board, BTW).
NVGolfingBear
It's OT - Off Topic Chapman. Choose to ignore it... try it. It's easy with some personal discipline..
Chapman_is_Gone
I like OT threads, as long as they're labeled "OT," aren't about politics, and don't last for five years like the one in question. Nothing you wrote changes my suggestion. It would be nice if threads could be ignored. There are a variety of situations where this could come in handy, the most obvious one would have been the Shocky thread. Having choices is a good thing, not a bad thing. And quit lecturing me on my discipline, friend.
OdontoBear66
I cannot find our competitors boards. Have you gotten an answer on this? Wanted to see the UNC response to our win and had to google on to their board?????
Yogi58
OdontoBear66 said:

I cannot find our competitors boards. Have you gotten an answer on this? Wanted to see the UNC response to our win and had to google on to their board?????
It's amazing the amount of information that can be found if you read all the thread titles on the board.
https://bearinsider.com/forums/2/topics/75276
Oski87
On the old board there was an arrow at the bottom to move onto the next thread. I used that quite a bit - I do not like going back to the main forum topic page. Just a suggestion to be added. Thanks
BearGreg
Staff
Oski87 - Check the top left hand corner of any of the forums - you will see a double arrow, that will take you to any of the boards instantly.
OdontoBear66
So do I have to keep coming back here to get this...Why is this not a drop down like say Off Topic, or Football, or Women's BB??? How do I find it that way. Believe me, I think I have searched.
Yogi58
OdontoBear66 said:

So do I have to keep coming back here to get this...Why is this not a drop down like say Off Topic, or Football, or Women's BB??? How do I find it that way. Believe me, I think I have searched.
I'm sure it will be a drop down eventually. Until then, bookmark that link.
GoBears635
BearGreg said:

Oski87 - Check the top left hand corner of any of the forums - you will see a double arrow, that will take you to any of the boards instantly.
BearGreg, I'm not sure you understood Oski87 correctly. The old site had two buttons at the bottom of each thread that would take you to either the previous or next thread in that forum without having to return to the index to select another thread.

BTW, the double arrow is somewhat redundant as the forum drop down menu is only a couple of inches away.
1990GoldenBear
When I am on the topics page and click on a topic to read that thread, in order to get back to the topics page, I have to click the back button on my browser twice. Before we could just click it once. Is there a setting to get it back to just one click?
Sebastabear
Like the new site, but put my in the camp of folks who,would like to see the avatars viewable in the thread without clicking on the poster's name. I would always just quickly scan down a page to see if there were avatars of people who I followed. I'd read their posts. Similarly I could easily avoid reading posts of others (ahem). New system is slower (and I miss seeing my blue apple).

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.