WHAT TO DO IN CASE OF EARTHQUAKE!!! For Visiting teams!

4,586 Views | 40 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by 82gradDLSdad
TheFiatLux
How long do you want to ignore this user?
If you go to a game in Boulder there are warning signs about physical excertion at altitude like that. Always thought it was brilliant.

I don't know if you saw it, but today Cal put up a huge warning sign outside of the visitors' locker room This is awesome!!! (and yes, I am using one of my own tweets here to convey this, which is a little ******y). If this gives kids from other parts of the country just 1% to think about....

Man, I love this new attitude with Cal football!!!

NYCGOBEARS
So awesome that you helped to get that done! Props to you and the Cal AD.
bearister
Any signs for what to do in case of hydrogen bomb attack from North Korea?

Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
TheFiatLux
NYCGOBEARS said:

It was Andrew McGraw Assistant AD for football , and then especially Chris Pezman COO for football that brought it home. Love that these guys ran with it and made it happen.
NYCGOBEARS
TheFiatLux said:

NYCGOBEARS said:

It was Andrew McGraw Assistant AD for football , and then especially Chris Pezman COO for football that brought it home. Love that these guys ran with it and made it happen.

You're being modest. Someone had to come up with the idea and then proselytize. Great job Ken. Really. kudos.
FloriDreaming
FiatLux you have upleveled your game from your earlier student days decades ago. This makes the Furd bonfire cancellation hoax look like amateur hour.

Evolve or die.

Go Bears!
Bear19
Especially love the warning "Do not fall into the fault line."
Bear 19
azulviejo
That is great!
Now we just need a "Beware of ANTIFA", for our friends from Ole Miss!
Sebastabear
Oh my God. That's hysterical. Well done.
need_answers
azulviejo said:

That is great!

LOL maybe they just watch too much news? That's probably all they've got down there, news and Ole Miss football.

I don't think Tennessee or Texas fans were too skittish before they came to Berkeley right?
bear2034
Haha! Good stuff! Reminded me of the this article back in 2008 about our crumbling facilities and lack of amenities for fans and visiting teams.

STADIUM ON THE BRINK CAL'S CRUMBLING HOME Eccentricities still there to charm and confound

bear2034
azulviejo said:

That is great!
Who's going to be in Berkeley on 9/16?
TheSouseFamily
That's awesome. Some huge, shirtless pics of Rare (or Hate Man) might be a good touch in the visitors locker room too if we're interested in unnerving opposing teams.
MSaviolives
I can see it now. Cal scores a touchdown...the cannon booms...the opposing team thinks it is an earthquake, so they all drop, cover and hold on the field.
82gradDLSdad
Stop, drop and roll into your lead enclosure. Have a buddy quickly weld the seams.
joe amos yaks
What about warning of random acts of nuclear weirdness at the LBL?
TheFiatLux
MSaviolives said:

I can see it now. Cal scores a touchdown...the cannon booms...the opposing team thinks it is an earthquake, so they all drop, cover and hold on the field.
That's the idea!
concordtom
I put the odds on him being able to land a nuke accurately on a US mainland city successfully as still fairly low. They'd have more success putting it on a barge and coming right under the GG bridge. Wait, I shouldn't give any suggestions.
ColoradoBear
oskirules said:

azulviejo said:

That is great!
To be honest, that thread gives me hope for the world because there are some sensible posts on there in addition to the stereotypical redneck ones.

FloriDreaming
Some teams will think twice about this.

Then you'll have teams like SC who will laugh, because their fault line comes with three sets of street gangs.

Furd will concede our fault is longer, but theirs has a wider girth and remind us it's not the length of the fault that causes disruption but the force of the friction.
bluehenbear
If you go to the third floor of Gilman Hall there is a plaque outside lab where plutonium was discovered.

GMP
bluehenbear said:

If you go to the third floor of Gilman Hall there is a plaque outside lab where plutonium was discovered.

Without which there would be no Back to the Future trilogy. Bless them.
MrGPAC
Any chance we can get a tv playing this on repeat mounted near the plaque?

~MrGPAC
azulviejo
oskirules said:

azulviejo said:

That is great!
That was a scary read.
Is the commodore guy for real?
Sebastabear
azulviejo said:

oskirules said:

azulviejo said:

That is great!
That was a scary read.
Is the commodore guy for real?
It was nice that there were a few rationale posters on there, but a few of those others were more deranged than I would have imagined possible.
BearChemist
Most of the rational posts are from the same dude though.
TheFiatLux
NYCGOBEARS said:

TheFiatLux said:

NYCGOBEARS said:

You're being modest. Someone had to come up with the idea and then proselytize. Great job Ken. Really. kudos.
Thanks man! But you also need someone inside who will just say "hell yeah, i can do that" and that is what Andrew and Chris did!
MilleniaBear
You know what's sad about this for this weekend's game? The ol Miss players wont be able to read it. Can we convert it to emojis so they can read it?
MustangReb
need_answers said:

azulviejo said:

That is great!

LOL maybe they just watch too much news? That's probably all they've got down there, news and Ole Miss football.

I don't think Tennessee or Texas fans were too skittish before they came to Berkeley right?

To be fair, both of those games happened before the recent rash of highly publicized protests/riots. Still, anyone who judges the entirety of Berkeley and Cal by a few isolated, if ugly, riots is just showing their ignorance and really needs to get out more.
Sebastabear
MustangReb said:

need_answers said:

azulviejo said:

That is great!

To be fair, both of those games happened before the recent rash of highly publicized protests/riots. Still, anyone who judges the entirety of Berkeley and Cal by a few isolated, if ugly, riots is just showing their ignorance and really needs to get out more.
These recent "protest/riots" were dwarfed in size, loss of property and injuries to what occurred in the 90s when the University tried to install sand volley ball courts on a local park (I'm not joking). Our journalism has just gotten much more yellow and our political climate far more hysterical. The next time I see an antifa member in Berkeley will be the first time and I haven't missed a home football game in over a decade.
CJ Loves Cal
Sebastabear said:

The next time I see an antifa member in Berkeley will be the first time and I haven't missed a home football game in over a decade.

But how would you - or anyone else - even know? Unless they're "black blocking" antifa could be anyone.

My first year at Cal - 1977 - I remember going to a football rally at the Greek and seeing someone sitting alone, off to the side writing. Trying to be friendly I attempted to start a conversation - and got a lecture about how I was supporting fascism by even being there. And that wasn't the first time I heard that: I lived in the Coops and met actual communist organizers who were not the least bit shy about sharing their opinions about the function of big time sports on college campuses in Capitalist society, and how colluding with that was just *not* politically acceptable. And I still occasionally get shocked gasps from hard core progressives over my committed fandom- most recently just last week when I shared that my wife and I had a special weekend planned that included the game. But my friends eventually get used to it. I'll even occasionally hear a, "Go Bears!" from even the most hard core ones -including ones who do identify as politically "anti-fascist."
(And especially from those who hate the fact that their locally raised kids have somehow inexplicably turned into sports fans.)
Sebastabear
cjbarker said:

Sebastabear said:

The next time I see an antifa member in Berkeley will be the first time and I haven't missed a home football game in over a decade.

But how would you - or anyone else - even know? Unless they're "black blocking" antifa could be anyone.

My first year at Cal - 1977 - I remember going to a football rally at the Greek and seeing someone sitting alone, off to the side writing. Trying to be friendly I attempted to start a conversation - and got a lecture about how I was supporting fascism by even being there. And that wasn't the first time I heard that: I lived in the Coops and met actual communist organizers who were not the least bit shy about sharing their opinions about the function of big time sports on college campuses in Capitalist society, and how colluding with that was just *not* politically acceptable. And I still occasionally get shocked gasps from hard core progressives over my committed fandom- most recently just last week when I shared that my wife and I had a special weekend planned that included the game. But my friends eventually get used to it. I'll even occasionally hear a, "Go Bears!" from even the most hard core ones -including ones who do identify as politically "anti-fascist."
(And especially from those who hate the fact that their locally raised kids have somehow inexplicably turned into sports fans.)
Totally fair, but not really the point I was going for here. I'm not really talking about the wacky ideas in the heads of some Berkeley denizens. We all have some wacky ideas - just ask my wife how she feels about my general antipathy toward vegetables. I'm talking about the fear that some of our friends from Ole Miss seem to have they will be assaulted because of their football affiliations. Even in your example, I'm not really sure too many of the folks you're referring to make distinctions between Ole Miss fans and Cal fans. They all believe violent ground acquisition games, such as football, are just a crypto-fascist metaphor for nuclear war.

But I've honestly never seen any OOC fans get hassled by anyone at a football game. Berkeley is just very chill - at least in that regard.
AUOso
I would say that I agree that the non-football crowd on gameday will definitively not give a rats arse about ole miss fans UNLESS.

For those unfamiliar with ole miss history, they used to use the confederate stars and bars flag prominently in their branding.....but they phased it out two decades ago like stanford did with their Indian.....

There might be the odd ole miss fan who decides....heck that might be an interesting idea....get a rise out of those Berkeley people.....

Imagine if some Cal yahoo came to the grove dressed like a hippie and sporting anarchy/antifa bull*****...it wouldn't happen obviously because none of that nonsense has actual official historical affiliation with Cal and virtually everyone who goes to cal games and especially those embarking on road trips are generally respectful of the hosting city and condemns the antifa/anarchists use of violence..

The equivalent for ole miss fans would be if you were to wave a red (confederate) flag in front of a bull (berkeley denziens) you are basically asking for a verbal confrontation and just stirring up mierda.

All we can do as cal fans is try and be as gracious a visitor to oxford, and ask that our southern brethren do the same.
CJ Loves Cal
Sebastabear said:

Totally fair, but not really the point I was going for here. I'm not really talking about the wacky ideas in the heads of some Berkeley denizens. We all have some wacky ideas - just ask my wife how she feels about my general antipathy toward vegetables. I'm talking about the fear that some of our friends from Ole Miss seem to have they will be assaulted because of their football affiliations. Even in your example, I'm not really sure too many of the folks you're referring to make distinctions between Ole Miss fans and Cal fans. They all believe violent ground acquisition games, such as football, are just a crypto-fascist metaphor for nuclear war.

But I've honestly never seen any OOC fans get hassled by anyone at a football game. Berkeley is just very chill - at least in that regard.

Spot on about them not being able to differentiate. To the folks I'm talking about, being a football fan at all is suspect - it's *all* essentially the south/ fascists/ the kkk "invading" Berkeley - never mind that Berkeley was "doing" football long before the city became synonymous with radical politics. (And had an 80,000 seat stadium when most of what's now the SEC was just starting to build 40,000 seat jobs.)

And yes, there is a kind of "chill." The reality of Berkeley on game day is, get 3-4 blocks off campus, and other than some increased traffic and high numbers of people wandering about in colorful gear, you wouldn't know there was a major sporting event taking place at all. And anyone who resents that it is wouldn't likely go trolling for folks in Ole Miss gear to harass about it. They'd just as likely be mouthing off to the people in Cal gear!!

I guess my larger point though, was that "antifa" are folks that anybody might encounter in many places around Berkeley - and have no idea they did.
bear2034
Can you imagine when some fist time visitors from Ole Miss arriving earlier in the week preparing not to let their preconceived notions about Berkeley get the best of them only to find themselves in the middle of some Antifa riot due to the Ben Shapiro event?

Berkeley to Cal: Your security plans will push protesters into city streets
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.