Cal +3 vs Ole Miss

9,213 Views | 69 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by oskidunker
JollyBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Opening line has Cal as a three point underdog at home against Ole Miss. Thoughts?
bencgilmore
haven't really seen ole miss. i've noted they've scored 40 something, i believe, in both.

seems reasonable, cal still is more unproven, even if the UNC win is the most impressive thing either school has done
bear2034
If we play a soft zone the entire game like we did against Weber St., it will be a long night.
oskidunker
Cal will win.
Go Bears!
NYCGOBEARS
The line is surprising. I'd thought we'd be 7 point dogs. At least.
FloriDreaming
Not surprised by the line. It really depends on which Cal team shows up.
okaydo
Ole Miss is from the SEC.

SEC is the best conference.

Future Hall of Fame QB Eli Manning played for Ole Miss.

They have more movies starring Sandra Bullock then we do.

They like to call hoties "totty."
72CalBear
Uthaithani said:

If the Weber State D shows up, their QB throws for 400+
cubzwin
Ya, I was thinking 6 point dogs but you subtract 3 for home team advantage so I guess +3 is a logical starting number. I bet it goes up to +6 by game time, though.
CALiforniALUM
Let's remember that SEC teams don't travel very well.

XXXBEAR
Two wins against nobody by Ole Miss.

Even on their own fan sites they predict a high scoring game, as their defense is suspect...

Good footage of their cheerleaders somersaulting into each other and their fans brawling in the stands at the South Alabama game...

Their next game is Alabama....

I like our chances...
bear2034
72CalBear said:

Uthaithani said:

If the Weber State D shows up, their QB throws for 400+
I'm already going to assume Ole Miss throws for 400+. The question is can we limit them to less than 35 points?
TracerRound
Ole Miss fan here. Very interesting matchup here. QB Shea Patterson was the #1 QB in HS two years ago and has thrown for over 900 yds in the first two games, albeit versus lesser opponents. He has the #1 WR in the country to throw to and the best WR corps in the SEC, maybe the country (Brown, Metcalf, Lodge, etc). Running game is pretty average.

D.......... Um......yeah we have one......sort of

Over in this game may be 90+

Here is hoping for an injury free game. We will look forward to welcoming the Cal fans to our campus on the return game to the #1 Tailgating Site in the country.

Do not know much about your team. Would love to hear some of your perspectives on your different positions.

Hotty Toddy!
JSC 76
TracerRound said:

Ole Miss fan here. Very interesting matchup here. QB Shea Patterson was the #1 QB in HS two years ago and has thrown for over 900 yds in the first two games, albeit versus lesser opponents. He has the #1 WR in the country to throw to and the best WR corps in the SEC, maybe the country (Brown, Metcalf, Lodge, etc). Running game is pretty average.

Here is hoping for an injury free game. We will look forward to welcoming the Cal fans to our campus on the return game to the #1 Tailgating Site in the country.

Do not know much about your team. Would love to hear some of your perspectives on your different positions.

Hotty Toddy!
Tracer Round,

Welcome! Are you coming out for the game? I'm tentatively planning on going to Oxford.

I'd love to post on one of your sites, but I either can't get permission, or the site appears dead. On SECRant your fellow fans seem to be under the impression that Berkeley is a left-wing Afghanistan with roaming bands of club-wielding Antifa enforcing political correctness.

To answer your question....I think we're confused. We thought we knew what we had after North Carolina, but the Weber State game has caused doubt.

Go Bears!

TracerRound
JSC,
Unfortunately we will not be able to attend Saturday, too many conflicts.

Yeah the whole antifa thing is a little blown out of proportion.

One Cal-Ole Miss connection you may be aware is our WR Coach Peeler has recently been part of your organization.

Ole Miss has five new coaches on staff this year as well as a new interim HC (former OL coach). They are apparently still working out the bugs of the new D.....

ETA: go to the Ole Miss Spirit Insiders page for discussion with OM fans. It is the open site.
Cal Strong!
oskirules said:

can we limit them to less than 35 points?
oskirules confuse "less" with "fewer." Need to write STRONG. Like Cal. And Cal Strong.

Cal STRONG!
Cal Strong!
TracerRound said:

TracerRound no know how to format ellipses. TraderRound embarrass himself in all phases of ellipses game.

TracerRound needs to put three dots in a mid-sentence ellipsis. Need spaces between each dot . . . like this.

Embarrassing oneself in all phases of ellipses game WEAK! Ole Miss fans write WEAK! Cal not weak. Ole Miss fans need to write more like Cal, less like Ole Miss fans.

Cal STRONG!
TracerRound
Ah yes.........every site has their GrammarGestapo..........nice to meet you..............sort of........................
KoreAmBear
TracerRound said:

Ah yes.........every site has their GrammarGestapo..........nice to meet you..............sort of........................
You should be privileged to have gotten a response from Cal Strong. He/she means well. Ironically, he/she is not into proper subject-verb agreement.
dajo9
What's tailgating?

This game has all the makings of #Pac12AfterDark. Are you ready?
American Vermin
TracerRound
Dajo

What's tailgating you say?

Go to Google Images Ole Miss The Grove

Also search Ole Miss Tailgating in Google Images

HYDR!
MustangReb
Cal Strong! said:

oskirules said:

can we limit them to less than 35 points?
oskirules confuse "less" with "fewer." Need to write STRONG. Like Cal. And Cal Strong.

Cal STRONG!

I think I like this guy. Well played, Sir or Madam. Well played, indeed.
Cal Strong!
MustangReb posting STRONG today! Like Cal. And Cal Strong. Cal STRONG!

For those weak posters still posting WEAK, Cal Strong here to help. Follow these five steps to get STRONG!

1) Take a hard look in the mirror.
2) Stop being WEAK! Cal not weak .
3) Toughen up your thinking. Be more like Cal, less like you.
4) Start being STRONG! Like Cal. Cal STRONG!
5) Now that you strong, go make others STRONG!

hanky1
There's not going to be a whole lot of defense in this game, but the one thing we've done incredibly well is force fumbles. Have no idea what to make of this game. i know nothing of Ole Miss but SEC teams do have a tendency to crap their pants when they come to california.
ddc_Cal
Very nice, Cal Strong!!

Think you could even get people to use 'led' as the past tense of 'lead'? I'd be very impressed.

Good luck.
FuzzyWuzzy
Cal Strong! said:

TracerRound said:

TracerRound no know how to format ellipses. TraderRound embarrass himself in all phases of ellipses game.

TracerRound needs to put three dots in a mid-sentence ellipsis. Need spaces between each dot . . . like this.

Embarrassing oneself in all phases of ellipses game WEAK! Ole Miss fans write WEAK! Cal not weak. Ole Miss fans need to write more like Cal, less like Ole Miss fans.

Cal STRONG!
CS,

It's 6'2" or perhaps even 6-2, but not 6'2. That's weak.
Cal89
As odd as this could sound, Cal might be well-served by emphasizing the run game against the Ole Miss D. Pass happy Pac-12, run-oriented SEC stereotype be damned...

In 2016, the Rebels were like 115th to 120th in run D - yards per carry and yards allowed per game. So far in 2017, after playing what will likely be their two easiest foes, they are ranked 100+ in the same...

If we can run the ball effectively, I imagine we will be in this game. And, if we can find a way to stymie their passing attack, we'd have a good chance to win. That looks to be a big if though...

The 30 over/under has been good to us thus far, and maybe that will be true again:

The offense scores 30+
The defense yields 30-

Sig test...
FloriDreaming
Cal89 said:

As odd as this could sound, Cal might be well-served by emphasizing the run game against the Ole Miss D. Pass happy Pac-12, run-oriented SEC stereotype be damned...

In 2016, the Rebels were like 115th to 120th in run D - yards per carry and yards allowed per game. So far in 2017, after playing what will likely be their two easiest foes, they are ranked 100+ in the same...

If we can run the ball effectively, I imagine we will be in this game. And, if we can find a way to stymie their passing attack, we'd have a good chance to win. That looks to be a big if though...

The 30 over/under has been good to us thus far, and maybe that will be true again:

The offense scores 30+
The defense yields 30-

Coaches always come in with game plans and then throw them out the window. Against UNC, the CW was Cal needed to establish the run, because UNC was too strong against the pass and Bowers was too green. Cal ended up throwing all day. Then against WSU, a third-string RB lights it up and wins the game for the Bears.

Yah, if Laird can do that against Ole Miss, just hand it to him and let him gash them all day long. Go full Furd on these guys, it'll keep our D fresh and tire Ole Miss out. If Laird comes back to earth Saturday and Bowers gets hot again, it's back to the air. One thing we know already about Baldwin is he's not married to his original game plan and has no problem switching gears.
Cal89
Uthaithani said:

Cal89 said:

The offense scores 30+
The defense yields 30-

Coaches always come in with game plans and then throw them out the window. Against UNC, the CW was Cal needed to establish the run, because UNC was too strong against the pass and Bowers was too green. Cal ended up throwing all day. Then against WSU, a third-string RB lights it up and wins the game for the Bears.

Yah, if Laird can do that against Ole Miss, just hand it to him and let him gash them all day long. Go full Furd on these guys, it'll keep our D fresh and tire Ole Miss out. If Laird comes back to earth Saturday and Bowers gets hot again, it's back to the air. One thing we know already about Baldwin is he's not married to his original game plan and has no problem switching gears.
Yes, an appealing quality of Baldwin's offense. Multiplicity...
Sig test...
72CalBear
TracerRound said:

Hotty Toddy!
Hotty Toddy,
What about the legal issues going on this week for your team? Is there a hearing of some kind? Will this be a distraction? Will your QB now pass for less than 400 yards??
bear2034
dajo9 said:

What's tailgating?

This game has all the makings of #Pac12AfterDark. Are you ready?

I usually prefer my fish raw but eh,...
TracerRound

Yes Ole Miss has FINALLY met with the COI the past two days after more than FIVE YEARS of an unprecedented witch hunt by the NCAA. The lead investigator will hopefully get fired for his malfeasance and gross unethical conduct. OM has volunteered an 11 scholarship reduction (which they have been taking the past year already) and a bowl ban this year. This is mainly for minor violations four of which happened six years ago under Houston Nutt. It is a nightmare that will hopefully be over in the next two months.

If the NCAA is unreasonable with their penalties, OM will appeal and most likely win. There are a lot of law suits happening (by OM) as we speak and more are coming. OM is FINALLY fighting back. It is very possible that the current Miss St HC and former AD (now AD at UF) will end up with show causes for their gross misconduct against a fellow SEC institution. It could get very interesting over the next few months.

Stay tuned.
Sebastabear
TracerRound said:

Dajo

What's tailgating you say?

Go to Google Images Ole Miss The Grove

Also search Ole Miss Tailgating in Google Images

HYDR!
We are very well aware of Ole Miss' tailgating prowess. Actually it's probably the one thing the average Cal fan does know about Ole Miss. The video of the drunk hot mess Ole Miss girl gets posted on here at least once (and usually several times) a season.

You probably got this, but Dajo was referencing our own pathetic/ borderline non-existent tailgating scene. You honestly have to see it (or not) to believe it. In any event, welcome to all the Ole Miss fans who make the trek to Berkeley. For those who do, I think in hindsight you'll find all of the "stay in groups" and "be prepared to combat squadrons of antifa" warnings on SEC Rant as funny as we do. There's probably no football stadium in the country where you are safer as an OOC fan than Berkeley (well maybe Palo Alto but that's more apathy than lack of hostility).
Big C
Welcome, TracerRound. May the best team win on Saturday.

The Golden Bears are a mystery right now...

New QB. He is at least okay. Suspect O-line. Top RB now out for the year, but the third string guy (Patrick Laird) all of a sudden looks good. Two of our most explosive WRs haven't played or haven't done much. The best guy, though, Demetris Robertson, has probably freed up the other receivers by just being out there.

The D has been unbelievably bad in recent years, but we are better this year. (After last week, not sure how much better.) The D-line is okay but no depth. The linebackers are much improved. #1 Devante Downs has finally emerged as a senior. We thought the DBs had gotten a lot better, but last week's game against Weber St has raised doubts again.

We generally feel the future is brighter with our new coaches. Justin Wilcox has assembled a very competent staff. The general consensus among us diehards is that we will win 5-6 games this year, then gradually build on that after recruiting gets going again.

(Oops, I was probably supposed to give you the "fake rundown". Well, maybe that was it, who knows?)

Questions:

Will there be many Ole Miss fans at the game on Saturday?

If we come out to the game at your place in two years, how will we be treated at The Grove (assuming we're not "misbehaving")?

Thanks and Go Bears!
need_answers
Sebastabear said:

There's probably no football stadium in the country where you are safer as an OOC fan than Berkeley

This needs to be emphasized. Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't even recall Tennessee/Texas fans having any issues after their visit to Berkeley
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.