The Furd

2,776 Views | 19 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by 01Bear
FuzzyWuzzy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
This article sure makes it sound like Furd is beatable this season:
SFGate

Chryst is not playing well. Shaw made some questionable decisions. ILB is out indefinitely.

There's a long way to go before we play them but they are the team I want to beat the most. Six regular season wins including the BG would be a dream season for me. Of course with six wins we are playing a lesser opponent in a bowl so I would want to win that, too. So seven wins including BG. Anything else is icing.
rothforever
If we beat them this year it would be equal to 1975.
01Bear
dude, i was a freshman at cal during holmoe's first year...any year we beat the furd is a good year for me--since it never happened when i was a student!
CannonBlast
I feel you. We were 0-12 across football and men's basketball during that time. Brutal. Only thing that went right was we went 3-1 against u$c during our time including that miracle comeback at the coloseum in 98.
510 Bear
I hope they win every game until they play us, then we beat them.
FloriDreaming
rothforever said:

If we beat them this year it would be equal to 1975.
Thank God it's not 1975. The 70s are over. Everyone who wasn't in college during that time period is very glad that awful decade is over.

Cal has had some very good years since the 70s under coaches who were not cheating and didn't throw the university under the bus at the first opportunity.
CalBearinLA
Is it just me or was it very difficult to find a write-up in the Chronicle regarding Stanford's loss to SDSU? Our win against Ole Miss was front and center online, but it was near impossible to find a write up about the Furd's loss...
85Bear
CalBearinLA said:

Is it just me or was it very difficult to find a write-up in the Chronicle regarding Stanford's loss to SDSU? Our win against Ole Miss was front and center online, but it was near impossible to find a write up about the Furd's loss...
I just googled "Stanford San Diego State football sfchronicle" and found the following:

http://www.sfgate.com/sports/article/Lights-out-After-darkness-delay-SDSU-edges-No-12203871.php

http://www.sfgate.com/sports/article/The-lights-go-out-in-San-Diego-and-so-does-12205060.php
Big C
CalBearinLA said:

They glossed over it. Didn't even mention Shaw's yelling at the SDS Asst. Coach as the teams left the field at halftime.

Glass-is-1/2-empty me says Chron is a PR machine for Furd. Glass-is-1/2-full me says Furd Football is becoming less and less of a story, as their current program begins to decline (albeit it ever so slowly).
85Bear
Big C said:

They glossed over it. Didn't even mention Shaw's yelling at the SDS Asst. Coach as the teams left the field at halftime.
While I did find the Chronicle articles I linked in a previous post, I definitely could not find anything anywhere discussing this Shaw yelling event. Can someone elaborate on what happened?
Big C
85Bear said:

Big C said:

While I did find the Chronicle articles I linked in a previous post, I definitely could not find anything anywhere discussing this Shaw yelling event. Can someone elaborate on what happened?
As SDS and Furd were headed to the locker room after the first half, some Aztec players cut through the Furd players, which I guess is a faux pas. Shaw rushed over to redirect them, which I guess is even more of a faux pas. He and an Aztec assistant started arguing with each other, nearly "getting in each others' face", before a Furd assistant redirected Shaw.

Only place I saw it reported was as click bait on some news/sports site on Sunday morning, but they showed the video, so I know it really happened.

Maybe Shaw yelled, "What's YOUR deal?!?" (I hear that's what the Furd coaches say to the opponent coaches, when confronted.)
85Bear
Big C said:

As SDS and Furd were headed to the locker room after the first half, some Aztec players cut through the Furd players, which I guess is a faux pas. Shaw rushed over to redirect them, which I guess is even more of a faux pas. He and an Aztec assistant started arguing with each other, nearly "getting in each others' face", before a Furd assistant redirected Shaw.

Only place I saw it reported was as click bait on some news/sports site on Sunday morning, but they showed the video, so I know it really happened.

Maybe Shaw yelled, "What's YOUR deal?!?" (I hear that's what the Furd coaches say to the opponent coaches, when confronted.)

Thanks.
Bear8
Carroll said it to Harbaugh.
Redonkulous Bear

Full video here:

http://i.imgur.com/mNs8KsU.jpg
GoldenBearofCalifornia
510 Bear said:

I hope furd losses every game until the end of time.
85Bear
Thanks for sharing the videos! Makes the SDSU victory all that much sweeter for me.
MilleniaBear
And Hairball said to Carroll - "How is that working for you?" after Hairball beat SC.
Big C
Bear8 said:

Carroll said it to Harbaugh.
The version of the story I heard...

Carroll to Harbaugh: "What's your deal?"

Harbaugh's reply: "What's YOUR deal?!?"
Big C
Redonkulous Bear said:

Full video here:

The Chronicle's Tom FitzGerald (long-time Furd beat writer) never reports on anything that might not be befitting the Bradford S. Freeman Director of Football (or whatever it is).
BearDevil
Big C said:

CalBearinLA said:

Glass-is-1/2-empty me says Chron is a PR machine for Furd. Glass-is-1/2-full me says Furd Football is becoming less and less of a story, as their current program begins to decline (albeit it ever so slowly).

Harbaugh's an a-hole, but he can turn teams around quickly and will always get another HC job after he wears out his welcome.

Shaw's a good, but not great coach and he's stayed too long on the farm. Won't get fired unless he misses bowls 2 or 3 years in a row, but he should have moved to the NFL after 2015. Petersen's passed Shaw up in the P12N and UO's lurking. Shaw doesn't have the personality to be a broadcaster, but will probably be an NFL coordinator in five years.
01Bear
GoldenBearofCalifornia said:

510 Bear said:

I hope furd losses every game until the end of time.

they'll probably just start forfeiting games and ultimately cancel the program, then...
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.