Speculating on UW kickoff time

1,285 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by calgo430
OskiDeLaHoya
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I saw this tidbit on Wilner's hotline:

http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/09/19/week-four-in-pac-12-football-choice-matchups-key-stats-last-stands-and-a-load-of-night-games/
----
At the urging of the conference, ESPN/ABC opted to show USC-Cal. at 12:30.

(The Trojans have a Friday night road game in Pullman next week and should not play at night in Berkeley. ...)
---
I was a bit surprised that the conference does have some sway when it comes to these decisions. Wondering if that guarantees that Cal @ UW will not be a night game since we play WSU the following Friday? Or does it matter that our Friday game is at home while USC has back to back road trips?

Anyone know the open TV slots that day?
packawana
If we beat USC, we get prime time with the possibility of Gameday. If we don't, it'l be P12 after dark.
01Bear
uhh...the conference doesn't give any effs about cal...if they networks demanded it, the conference would agree to have cal play a thursday night game in the week immediately following a late night saturday game...
ColoradoBear
To be honest, who cares if it's a night game, it's a road game. Better for us if our opponents home fans are falling asleep actually.

Seattle is a big city with a real airport. pretty easy getting back home even if at 2am.

I'd say a sat night game is easier on the student athlete because it doesn't require an early Friday flight.

Wilmer is way off regarding why the P12 pushed for a day game. Cal v USC on ABC national at 330pm is way better exposure for the conference. Especially on this day with nothing else really competing for that slot. The real joke is starting CU v UW at 8pm local.
Strykur
ColoradoBear said:

To be honest, who cares if it's a night game, it's a road game. Better for us if our opponents home fans are falling asleep actually.
Exactly, notice how our crowd starts small and thins out for 7:30PM kickoffs? The only away games where I would not prefer a night game would be Oregon State and Washington State because those are sleepy college towns with not a whole lot happening after dark so we're the main attraction (the exceptions would be the Arizona schools who like the stay out late in the desert anyway).
82gradDLSdad
I'm hoping for a day game vs Udub. I think I'd rather sit in Seattle in the October day than night.
cubzwin
Villanova (3 and 0) is playing #1 ranked Alabama in Nashville at 1230 Pacific time (same start time as USC vs Cal) so there is some competition during the time slot. I'm going to Vandy to watch the game so I'll be looking at the scoreboard for Cal updates.
calgo430
'villanova" . give me a break.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.