OT: Berkeley Law

3,022 Views | 20 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by 01Bear
bear2034
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Quote:

"This is where I plan to spend the rest of my academic career."

Recently appointed dean Erwin Chemerinsky isn't interested in rehabilitating the UC Berkeley School of Law because he believes it doesn't need rehabilitating.
How Erwin Chemerinsky plans to push Berkeley Law into the nation's top 5 law schools

cubzwin
I met Erwin when we were both debaters in Illinois. He went to university of Chicago Lab School and we (LaGrange) had a good rivalry with them. He was a brilliant young man and I'm glad he is the dean at Berkeley Law.
BoaltBear
He is a wonderful choice for Dean and I hope he stays forever. Good things ahead for Boalt.
wifeisafurd
BoaltBear said:

He is a wonderful choice for Dean and I hope he stays forever. Good things ahead for Boalt.
Good admin guy and knows his con law. Horrible as a practicing attorney. His redo of the LA City Charter was the worse example of governance those of us who practice have ever seen. City is completely dysfunctional with its neighborhood councils unless they are ignored by the local councilman and staff.
Bobodeluxe
The worse(erestist)
Big C
It really irks me that we don't call it "California Law".
BoaltBear
wifeisafurd said:

BoaltBear said:

Good admin guy and knows his con law. Horrible as a practicing attorney. His redo of the LA City Charter was the worse example of governance those of us who practice have ever seen. City is completely dysfunctional with its neighborhood councils unless they are ignored by the local councilman and staff.
It's funny you say that, as I know a local council member who would completely agree!
01Bear
Big C said:

It really irks me that we don't call it "California Law".

it's neither berkeley law nor california law to me, it is and will forever be boalt (hall)...

sadly, i was denied admission to boalt when i applied, but wound up matriculating at a (then) higher ranked law school (per us news and world report)*...notwithstanding my rejection, i will always look upon boalt with respect and want nothing but the best for it as it is still part of my alma mater, [/b/] the [/b/] university of california...

*of course, boalt then righted the ship while my school went down a couple ranking spots...
socaliganbear
Knowing absolutely nothing about the law profession, is he as famous as this article makes him out to be?
Vandalus
socaliganbear said:

Knowing absolutely nothing about the law profession, is he as famous as this article makes him out to be?
Yes. He is the author of what I believe to be the most widely used Con Law case books across the country (i.e., the law school textbook for Con Law). He also wrote the commercial outline that pretty much everyone uses to study Con Law (via bar bri I believe). In academia, he's got to be in the top 3 for Constitutional Law authority/experts in the country, if not number one.
barabbas
Could there be worse branding than "Berkeley Law?"
01Bear
Vandalus said:

socaliganbear said:

Yes. He is the author of what I believe to be the most widely used Con Law case books across the country (i.e., the law school textbook for Con Law). He also wrote the commercial outline that pretty much everyone uses to study Con Law (via bar bri I believe). In academia, he's got to be in the top 3 for Constitutional Law authority/experts in the country, if not number one.

which conlaw casebook would that be? i had to buy two different ones when inwas in school but neither one was by dean chemerinsky...

of course, i consider dean chemerinsky as the conlaw expert in the u.s...sure there are other great conlaw scholars (including my own, steven calabrese), but chemerinsky's in a league of his own...

when he was at uci, i had a cousin who was an undergrad there; i urged her to take an undergrad class with him, but she said no...i was soooo disappointed in her...he's one of the few "rockstars" of the legal (academic) world...
socaliganbear
Noted. Nice get it sounds like.
Vandalus

This was what I had, or at least an older version of the same.
tydog
One of the most remarkable things about Chemerinsky is his Con Law Bar prep (BarBri) lecture. He literally recites, verbatim, an 80 page+ outline. His monotone voice is awful, and makes you want to fall asleep, but man is it impressive.
01Bear
tydog said:

One of the most remarkable things about Chemerinsky is his Con Law Bar prep (BarBri) lecture. He literally recites, verbatim, an 80 page+ outline. His monotone voice is awful, and makes you want to fall asleep, but man is it impressive.

so much this!
GivemTheAxe
I agree with the level of name confusion.

I Graduated from Boalt Hall School of Law.

At the time many people would ask me where that was. I explained it was part of the University of California at Berkeley.

I was a note and Comment Editor on the California Law Review.

Now I find myself an alum of Berkeley Law.
aweissburg
He started his career at SC where I went. He is fabulous. And at least when I knew him, very approachable. Sc was at the time a stepping stone for greatness for many law school professors and he's at the top of the list. It was sad to see him leave but he did really good things at UC's new law school prior to Boalt and will do well there too.
PiLam 86, #not4years
concernedparent
It may not be Boalt at all for much longer. There are whispers that they are moving away from the name completely (and renaming the building too). Apparently John Boalt held some pretty nasty views about Chinese Americans.
oski003
I'm not sure the law school or the university or the city can stay Berkeley...

Bishop George Berkeley bought 3-5 slaves during his brief stay in the New World between 1728 and 1731, to work on his Rhode Island plantation.
concernedparent
oski003 said:

I'm not sure the law school or the university or the city can stay Berkeley...

Bishop George Berkeley bought 3-5 slaves during his brief stay in the New World between 1728 and 1731, to work on his Rhode Island plantation.
Agreed, it's a good thing John Boalt contributed so much to public life and that he personally bequeathed so much to the law school.
01Bear
concernedparent said:

It may not be Boalt at all for much longer. There are whispers that they are moving away from the name completely (and renaming the building too). Apparently John Boalt held some pretty nasty views about Chinese Americans.

i just did a google search on "john boalt chinese" and read the chrinicle opinion piece about renaming boalt hall...i am saddened and disappointed that the great law school was named for a virulent racist against my people...yet, i would never want to see the name changed...there's a delicious sense of irony* to having a school that's named for someone who so despised chinese people that he sought to ban them from the country now include among its alumni thousands of chinese and chinese-american students...

*that tickles my funny bone...
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.