Consensus ranking site

1,219 Views | 3 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by YamhillBear
76oldblue
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Have not seen anyone mention this, but a great place to find how all of the polls, major and minor, are ranking teams, go to: https://www.masseyratings.com/cf/compare.htm

It is continuously updated during the week. You can click through and look at each poll, as well.
YamhillBear
76oldblue said:

Have not seen anyone mention this, but a great place to find how all of the polls, major and minor, are ranking teams, go to: https://www.masseyratings.com/cf/compare.htm

It is continuously updated during the week. You can click through and look at each poll, as well.
Wow, that's a lot of polls/models (47!) doing rankings, commencing geeking out on that data.

My first-pass geekery:
Obviously, the Basset-Stephenson is the best poll, as it has Cal ranked 4th. But damn, it has U$C ranked 1st.
Actually, out of all the rankings, none of them has Cal above U$C, but "best" for that would be the James England ranking (Cal 18th, U$C 17th)
Based on the medians of all the rankings, U$C is 7th, Cal 39th.
YamhillBear
Actually, I missed one. Now, the "loudsound.org" model is my favorite: it has Cal currently ranked atop the Pac-12 at #10 nationally, ahead of U$C at #12.

Can't really tell what they use to create the ratings. Obviously something absolutely accurate that others are missing.

Go Bears!
76oldblue
If you click on Loudsound, it talks about using scores going way back. Apparently they also have a predictor tool.
YamhillBear
76oldblue said:

If you click on Loudsound, it talks about using scores going way back. Apparently they also have a predictor tool.
Yes, I noted that, but was unclear if they actually use older records in current rankings or if they were just touting that they have lots of historical data and can run their model on previous years.

Where they show the rankings, the only other things they show are W-L and SOS, but is more to their model than that. On an "about" page, they haven't put up the description of their model...
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.