Weekend Cal experience, football plus

1,702 Views | 5 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by SRBear
76oldblue
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I went to CAL during the Muncie era.

I was a season ticket holder off and on until both my kids played on travelling soccer teams. I still managed to take my kids to a few games until we moved to Windsor, CA. Then we moved to Colorado Springs. It had been a number of years since I attended a game.

This past weekend, my daughter (UW Badger grad) invited me to attend the Ole Miss game. We stayed at Easton Hall on the North side of campus. Easton was mentioned in a prior post about local places to stay. it is a block off of campus. It is spartan, but clean and the people are friendly. The room had two twin beds and its own bathroom. No TV, microwave or frig. It was quiet and not a place to party, but we enjoyed having such great access to campus. LaVals is within a three minute walk.

On Friday we saw WSoccer, Water Polo and Volleyball. CAL won all three matches. Soccer was against Oklahoma, and CAL won easily. WP was against Peppperdine, and the No. 1 WP team in the country did not disappoint. Pepperdine travels VERY well, with almost half of the crowd being from Pepperdine. It was a great game. The Straw Hat band attended the VB game - there had to be more than 50 band members there, it really added to the match [CAL Band GREAT!]

On Saturday, we had an early lunch at Pappy's. It was my first visit. The food was surprisingly good (I got a med-rare hamburger, which is hard to find). There were a lot of Ole Miss fans in there as the day went on. They were all very friendly and we had a nice time with a group of five or six. We then left to seer WP play San Diego. Cal totally outclassed the Tritons and won easily.

Then up to the March to Victory. I got a chance to say "Welcome back to Cal, Coach" to Wilcox and he looked me in the eye, shook my hand and said is was great to be back.We then went down to Top Dog for our hot dog fix. It was much more organized, which actually was disappointing (no yelling your order over the crowded interior).We also went to the band pregame at Sproul. Always a fun event.

The game was obviously great, but the CAL PA announcer was terrible. He was too busy selling things to tell us what was going on down on the field. We were in Section J, so it was difficult to see down and distance at the north end of the field. Plus the Ref's mike was not working well and it was often impossible to understand the call except for the hand signals. The size of the crowd was very disappointing, but the coldness of the evening reminded me of why night games are a pain. We got pizza after the game at Abe's . . .

Sunday, we saw the Cal WSoccer team dominate the no. 14 ranked Okla State team. Edwards is a great place to watch soccer, other than the actual benches.

CAL was 6-0 in contests we attended - it was a memorable weekend for both my daughter and me. All of the events, other than football, were reasonably well-attended and the CAL supporters were very boisterous.
Yogi58
Would you be willing to consider moving back from Colorado Springs so you could attend all the games? I'm sure we could start a GoFundMe. We need your winning mojo.
76oldblue
It is an interesting thought, but we moved here to retire. It is absolutely beautiful and the cost of living is much lower.

Actually Yogi, it would be cheaper to fly me out every home football game weekend. I would be in for that.

My success with Basketball has not been historically good; neither has my success with away football games been happy (starting with UCLA beating CAL in 1975 at the Coliseum). So we could limit it to six fall weekends a year.
azulviejo
That sounded like a great weekend!

Your post caught my eye, when you mentioned Windsor and " The Springs"!
My daughter is going to Windsor High, son went to Newman and then CU in Boulder.
I lived in Boulder for 4-5 years, after Cal, in the early 80's.

I agree with some of your assessment of the Cal game experience.

And, yes please attend more games.
You bought good Karma.

Go Bears!
SRBear
Ha...I graduated from Newman......in 1973. Like all things, it was a LOT less expensive then.
76oldblue
Sonoma County is lovely.

My daughter loved Windsor High. She was in the pre-med core and the teachers were experienced, but still very excited about teaching. One of her teachers actually visited her during her freshman year in Madison. She is still in touch with four of them.

Cardinal Newman plays good football, and most other sports, but it is courageously expensive.
SRBear
I remember walking my dad's check into the office every month back then...started at a whopping $35 and I think my last year had grown to like $40.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.