Okay...Whose ready to join the MWC?

6,344 Views | 55 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by philly1121
Blueblood
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AunBear89 said:

Blueblood said:

You have a nice dog. It's just the type that I imagined you'd have, too.

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAHHHH AAAAAHHHHHH HA
Golden One
ddc_Cal said:

At least the posters on these boards, including some of the bigger donors seem to agree that the problem is the admin, and always has been.

I hope so, anyway.
The problem is the admin AND THE FACULTY. In fact, the faculty may be the biggest problem of all and is almost certainly the root of the admin's problem.
socaltownie
What I AM ready for is the Presidents to act. For the life of me I fail to see WHAT IS IN IT FOR THE CAMPUS to bow down to the almighty TV dollar from Larry Scott. I TOTALLY undersatnd what is in it for the multi-millionaire coaches and low milion ADs. As SF says above - we need Saturday afternoon football BACK.
UrsaMajor
It'd be such a MUCH better university if there were no faculty.
bluehenbear
Whose ready?

Hmmm...Oregon State?
Golden One
UrsaMajor said:

Well, it would be a much better university if the portion of the faculty that is adamantly anti-athletics were gone.
Blueblood
Golden One said:

UrsaMajor said:

Well, it would be a much better university if the portion of the faculty that is adamantly anti-athletics were gone.
UrsaMajor is a big time status quo guy. He's all knee jerk.
Jeff82
OK, I'll play. If we were going to leave the Pac-12, I'd bag Division I football altogether, join one of the basketball-only conferences, and play football in Division II, where we can go back to enjoying football in the afternoon sun. I still think we have a chance to be competitive in basketball in terms of the NCAA, and I'm not really that interested in completing in the MWC for the right to play in the Holiday, Sun or Poinsettia Bowls. Who cares?

I'd then, as IAD, turn to campus administration and say, "OK, you want 27 non-revenue sports? Then figure out how to pay for them." The reality is that most of the sports program, including most of the women's sports, would be gutted, unless the campus wants to pay a bigger subsidy. I don't think a football program in the MWC is going to generate even the revenue that's being generated now.
UrsaMajor
Blueblood said:

\UrsaMajor is a big time status quo guy. He's all knee jerk.
Didn't take you long to get back to making personal insults, did it?
Blueblood
UrsaMajor said:

Blueblood said:

\UrsaMajor is a big time status quo guy. He's all knee jerk.
Didn't take you long to get back to making personal insults, did it?
Let's just say that your posts didn't take that long to highly motivate me.
ddc_Cal
During the time of reformation of the Pacific Coast Conference, a friend of mine remarked that if they could get the conference back together, there was hope for the United Nations.

BTW, I played basketball with Frank Sally in a rec league and he seemed bigger than 220. Good ballplayer and good teammate.
Bear19
sonofabear51 said:

Patience, Wilcox & Company just got here. Give them a chance. Go Bears!

"All we are saying, is give Wilcox a chance.."
Bear 19
Blueblood
Bear19 said:

sonofabear51 said:

Your post and the one that you cite make little sense to me.

Not to be too obtuse, I have no ability to alter in any way Coach Wilcox's coaching regime. He will do what he's going to do. Have no fear that I will be detrimental to his efforts.

So, you must be addressing your comments to my convictions. You will not change my convictions by repeating the trite retort of "give him a chance." I heard them made for Gilby and even early Holmoe. My convictions are based upon historical pragmatics, not baseless zealot fanaticism. As a result, I feel as I do,
that is, why should I? His teams will either not do very well there by leading to his dismissal after the 2020 season or his teams will be utterly spectacular thereby his getting financial offers that he cannot overlook. In other words, Cal will lose out again.

Woe be it that he does well and expresses a desire to stay at Cal. Cal's administration will hire another Brockrath AD to replace the one that has already said that he's stepping down. In doing so, Wilcox will be driven out.
Where did I get this notion, you ask? Why, I get it by reading the leaves that fall in my yard!
Cal84
Wilcox will not be driven out. He'll simply get a better offer that Cal can't match. Probably not this year though. Then again, if Oregon State offered him 5 phones and tripled his budget for staff, maybe ...

It's just a question of WHEN Wilcox gets a good enough record at Cal for him to be noticed by other schools. Cal can not pay a competitive salary for a top tier football staff. It's using that money to keep non-revenue sports alive. So Cal is forced to run on a never ending cycle of 1) buy a cheap coach that others dislike but that Cal thinks is underrated 2a) said coach fails at Cal in his first three years or 2b) said coach does well at Cal for his first three years 3) either way coach is gone and return to square 1).

And the faculty has nothing to do with this treadmill. Sure there are some faculty that want all subsidy to the AD eliminated. But whether that subsidy is $0 or $5 mill/yr, either way Cal football still gets less money than every other P12 football program. Until the AD decides to allow all football revenue to be used for football, Cal football will always be handicapped relative to other P12 programs. This has been known for years. Some people are just in denial. And then there are those that recognize the issue but are afraid to bring it up, so they hire consultants, so they can deliver the message.
Cal Strong!
Golden One said:

UrsaMajor said:

UrsaMajor and Golden One posting WEAK today. Diversity of opinion STRONG. Cal Strong no want faculty marching in weak marionette parade. Cal Strong value different perspectives. Faculty one of things that make Cal strongest university on earth.

Toughen up your thinking UrsaMajor and Golden One. Faculty no hurt Cal. Faculty of the reasons Cal so STRONG! Stop thinking weak. Cal not weak. Faculty criticism never once help other team score a single touchdown.

Be more like Cal, less like you.
ddc_Cal
http://www.gocomics.com/reallifeadventures/2017/10/14?ct=v&cti=1473334&comments=visible#comments

Unfortunately, I don't know how to display this cartoon directly.
TheSouseFamily
Blueblood said:

Bear19 said:

sonofabear51 said:

Not to be too obtuse, I have no ability to alter in any way Coach Wilcox's coaching regime. He will do what he's going to do. Have no fear that I will be detrimental to his efforts.

So, you must be addressing your comments to my convictions. You will not change my convictions by repeating the trite retort of "give him a chance." I heard them made for Gilby and even early Holmoe. My convictions are based upon historical pragmatics, not baseless zealot fanaticism. As a result, I feel as I do,
that is, why should I? His teams will either not do very well there by leading to his dismissal after the 2020 season or his teams will be utterly spectacular thereby his getting financial offers that he cannot overlook. In other words, Cal will lose out again.

Woe be it that he does well and expresses a desire to stay at Cal. Cal's administration will hire another Brockrath AD to replace the one that has already said that he's stepping down. In doing so, Wilcox will be driven out.
Where did I get this notion, you ask? Why, I get it by reading the leaves that fall in my yard!

"Historical Pragmatics" would be a great name for a band.
Blueblood
TheSouseFamily said:

Blueblood said:

Bear19 said:

sonofabear51 said:

"Historical Pragmatics" would be a great name for a band.

God you're right!.....oh those SOUTH Bay days when I enjoyed
the Count Five and the Chocolate Watchband.....aaAAHHhhaaah
Larno
Bow down to the TV money? I'll do that with no problem as it means that all the games are on TV. Go back to the way it was, which admittedly was nice with 1:00 games, but the only games we were guaranteed to see were the home games. I will never go back to the days when most of the road games were not televised and I had to depend on Starkey's non-calls. He is the worst. I eventually would not listen to all of the game, just tune in every so often to find out what was happening. Which usually entailed listening for a long time before he would even mention the score. Here's a call: Back to pass............he has his man! Oh, oh, I can't believe it! It's incomplete."
Bear19
Blueblood said:

Bear19 said:

sonofabear51 said:

So, you must be addressing your comments to my convictions. You will not change my convictions by repeating the trite retort of "give him a chance."
My comment is a parody of the Plastic Ono Band's song, "Give Peace a Chance."

Instead of the Ivy League, which requires lots of expensive travel across time zones, perhaps Cal can get slotted into a local high school league. Low travel cost, no scholarships, a student body with zero interest in football games, are just a few benefits.
Bear 19
Blueblood
Bear19 said:

Blueblood said:

Bear19 said:

sonofabear51 said:

So, you must be addressing your comments to my convictions. You will not change my convictions by repeating the trite retort of "give him a chance."
My comment is a parody of the Plastic Ono Band's song, "Give Peace a Chance."

Instead of the Ivy League, which requires lots of expensive travel across time zones, perhaps Cal can get slotted into a local high school league. Low travel cost, no scholarships, a student body with zero interest in football games, are just a few benefits.
Now your post just seems inane to me.
philly1121
Jeff82 said:

OK, I'll play. If we were going to leave the Pac-12, I'd bag Division I football altogether, join one of the basketball-only conferences, and play football in Division II, where we can go back to enjoying football in the afternoon sun. I still think we have a chance to be competitive in basketball in terms of the NCAA, and I'm not really that interested in completing in the MWC for the right to play in the Holiday, Sun or Poinsettia Bowls. Who cares?

I'd then, as IAD, turn to campus administration and say, "OK, you want 27 non-revenue sports? Then figure out how to pay for them." The reality is that most of the sports program, including most of the women's sports, would be gutted, unless the campus wants to pay a bigger subsidy. I don't think a football program in the MWC is going to generate even the revenue that's being generated now.

Well I think that if a move to the MWC were to be made, we wouldnt need to spend as much.

But I wouldn't move to try and cater or appease the faculty. They don't want sports in any form.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.