The annual "What past Cal player would you add to this roster?" thread.

3,468 Views | 36 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Big C
Big C
How long do you want to ignore this user?
If you could add one former Cal player -- in his college prime -- to this roster, who would it be? Obviously, "current needs" may be a factor, but, heck, you explain your own criteria (or not).

For me, about ten names are coming to mind. I will graciously pass on my number one choice, in order to let somebody else name him, and instead go with...

Desean Jackson: Would stretch the defense like D-Rob should be doing (only more so), plus the punt returns, so basically a dual threat. Self-critique: I'm not sure if Ross would have the arm, or the time, to get deep passes to him, Still, that's my choice and I'm sticking with it.

Who's your pick? (I know it's Fantasy Land, but one choice per customer. God knows I'm drooling thinking of many others.)

(My past picks, IIRC: 2013, maybe Andre Carter? 2014, Nnamdi Asomugha. 2015, Todd Steussie. 2016, Mychal Kendricks. Remember, I don't always pick the very most obvious guy, leaving the lowest hanging fruit to you.)
Grigsby
Alex Mack
Fyght4Cal
Todd Steussie
Patience is a virtue, but I’m not into virtue signaling these days.
bear2034
Jared Goff, boyeee!

bearside707
Jahvid Best
Blueblood

"I have a great idea. Let's
listen to the Cal game tonight
instead of watching a late
night MWC game."

That's what Cal football does best. It makes you want to live in the past!...ugh!
Cave Bear
Aaron Rodgers

Excluding QBs probably makes the question more difficult to me. No position can impact the game like the quarterback and Rodgers is the best I've ever seen play the position.

If QBs are excluded, I'd go with Alex Mack. I think we would have to go with offense given how that's where the ship is taking on water. Mack would single-handedly turn this OL into a serviceable unit.

If only defense, Andre Carter.

Honorable mention to Ryan Longwell. It's awful timing to have our place-kicking game fall apart just as the offense desperately needs a reliable FG kicker.
okaydo
Perry Schwartz
FloriDreaming
Grigsby said:

Alex Mack

I second this.
82gradDLSdad
Ed Mixco. He's a friend and I love to give him the gift of -40 years off his life. Plus he was a tough, inside runner and good pass catcher.
Bobodeluxe
Zack Kline.

NYCGOBEARS
I'm much too concerned about future players.
Big C
Bobodeluxe said:

Zack Kline.

... or Perry Klein.
NYCGOBEARS
Big C said:

Bobodeluxe said:

Zack Kline.

... or Perry Klein.

... or Calvin Klein, since it doesn't really matter.
85Bear
NYCGOBEARS said:

Big C said:

Bobodeluxe said:

Zack Kline.

... or Perry Klein.

Or since we play so many night games, Eine Kleine Nachtmusik.
Bear19
Donald Trump. Maybe he decides to live on Telegraph Ave or People's Park, smoking weed, to recover from the bruises he gets from this last stretch of games. Deciding that this is the "good life" young Donald elects himself Mayor of Telegraph Avenue and devotes the rest of his life to legalizing marijuana.
Bear 19
oskidunker
Chapmanisgone
Go Bears!
RichyBear
Joe Kapp. He led Cal to the RoseBowl with a team much worse than this current team. Besides playing QB, he can play DB.
Honorable mention to Ed White, Chuck Muncie, Alex Mack, Steve Sweeney, Wesley Walker.
Big C
85Bear said:

NYCGOBEARS said:

Big C said:

Bobodeluxe said:

Zack Kline.

... or Perry Klein.

Or since we play so many night games, Eine Kleine Nachtmusik.
Okay, this might be a winner in the Whimsy Category.

No spreckin zee deutch, but I'm assuming "eine kleine" is German for "piped in"?
Yogi58
Marshawn. A QB only without some people to throw to or an OL to block for him would be severely limited. Marshawn is a guy who could break tackles and gain yardage (at least in his prime, hasn't been doing that for the Raiders).
85Bear
Big C said:

Okay, this might be a winner in the Whimsy Category.

No spreckin zee deutch, but I'm assuming "eine kleine" is German for "piped in"?
LOL!
79 Bear
Chuck Muncie without question.
Bobodeluxe
slobear said:

Never forget those platform shoes with live goldfish that he wore on Sproul. Fashion.
okaydo
The problem is BI is populated by many young'uns who only remember relatively recent superstar players like Aaron Rodgers, Jared Goff, Chuck Muncie, Joe Kapp and Marshawn Lynch.

But how many of those legends are Rose Bowl heroes?

Not a one.

That's why I want this guy:

Big C
slobear said:

This was the number one choice (referenced in original post) that I passed on, graciously, so that you could take him. You're welcome.

Not much blocking? Not a problem for Chuck Muncie. 6-3, 225, with breakaway speed, Muncie begat Eric Dickerson, who begat Adrian Peterson. Could he catch the ball out of the backfield? Anywhere on the field. Is your quarterback struggling? Muncie would throw for a TD, too. Why the hell not?

How was Chuck Muncie in the classroom? Hey, the dude was such a nerd, he wore his black-rimmed glasses while playing football! If you're too young to have known Chuck Muncie, well, this is a fact. No joke. Rumor has it, he made such an impression on Stanfurd, leading Cal to a 48-15 thrashing of the Cardinal in 1975, that he was the inspiration for their "Nerd Nation" movement. Hey Bryce Love, you say you wanna become a doctor? Then show us you're serious about your studies with some black-rimmed Chuck Muncie glasses!
ddc_Cal
I would never turn down Muncie but,

My answer is the same pretty much every year: Sherman White. He could take over games on the defensive side of the ball like Muncie on offense. He was excellent at making QBs lives miserable.
Big C
ddc_Cal said:

I would never turn down Muncie but,

My answer is the same pretty much every year: Sherman White. He could take over games on the defensive side of the ball like Muncie on offense. He was excellent at making QBs lives miserable.
I just missed Sherman White. Wasn't he, I wanna say, the number two pick in the draft after the 1973 season? He was a DE, right? How did he compare to Andre Carter (whose senior season was the best play at that position that I can recall by a Cal player)?
95bears
I would second Beast Mode, but if Muncie was the original beast mode, then I go with him.
Big C
95bears said:

I would second Beast Mode, but if Muncie was the original beast mode, then I go with him.
The two were similar in many respects... super-strong with good speed. Their running styles were a bit different: Marshaw is a few inches shorter, has more jukes and sometimes seems to attack defenders violently. Muncie was a bit smoother. He would break A LOT of tackles, but sort of in a different way that Marshawn. The defenders would hit Muncie and then just sort of slip off, as if he were greased.

Two great, great Cal running backs, to be sure!
Yogi58
95bears said:

I can't vote for anybody I didn't see play. I saw Muncie some as a kid as a pro, but he wasn't the same player in the NFL.
Bear19
Big C said:

Then show us you're serious about your studies with some black-rimmed Chuck Muncie glasses!

Sadly, as a player, Chuck would not be able to pass any sort of 2017 drug testing in force now for football. Horned rimmed glasses does not make someone a serious student.
Bear 19
Big C
Bear19 said:

Big C said:

Then show us you're serious about your studies with some black-rimmed Chuck Muncie glasses!

Sadly, as a player, Chuck would not be able to pass any sort of 2017 drug testing in force now for football. Horned rimmed glasses does not make someone a serious student.
Hey, speaking of...

Muncie would be PERFECT for this Friday's game: A little smoke in the air? Hell, Muncie put different kinds of smoke in his lungs as part of his training! He would KILL this week! Bryce Love would no longer be a story.
RJABear
Ed White. Four time pro-bowl lineman. Would be an all-American either as an o-lineman or a d-lineman.
Bear19
Yogi Bear said:

95bears said:

I can't vote for anybody I didn't see play. I saw Muncie some as a kid as a pro, but he wasn't the same player in the NFL.
Muncie destroyed Furd in the fabled Joe Roth Big Game. Tragically, addiction to heroin contributed to his rapid decline in the NFL, though I believe he finally got clean & helped others deal with addiction issues.

But on that glorious Saturday afternoon, Muncie pushed the edge of that envelope, running over, around & through the Furd defense, going further, faster, and higher than anyone before him. It was a sight to behold!
chalcidbear
Putt me down as another one voting for Alex Mack.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.