Pac-12 fines Cal $25,000

11,742 Views | 70 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by calumnus
bross
How long do you want to ignore this user?

Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/benrosssports
Blueblood
bross said:

I observed that the Pac 12 was enforcing this chicken **** rule. This like a small town enforcing speed trap laws to make money for its coffers. Can you clowns imagine trying to keep the crowd off the field after that 1982 Big Game? What a bunch of BS! I bet they don't do this in the MWC!

C'mon yogi babes...speak up!
socaliganbear
So uh...where does this money go to? I mean the P12 is not some private entity that manages us. It is us?
Yogi58
Blueblood said:

bross said:

I observed that the Pac 12 was enforcing this chicken **** rule. This like a small town enforcing speed trap laws to make money for its coffers. Can you clowns imagine trying to keep the crowd off the field after that 1982 Big Game? What a bunch of BS! I bet they don't do this in the MWC!

I got nothing, friend Blueblood
gobears725
I get why they do it, but come on.......the excitement was great for the region which had been hurting from the fires.
Blueblood
socaliganbear said:

So uh...where does this money go to? I mean the P12 is not some private entity that manages us. It is us?
It goes to Walnut Creek!
SFCityBear
socaliganbear said:

Uh, yeah, right.
Fyght4Cal
This is bull*****
Patience is a virtue, but I’m not into virtue signaling these days.
SoFlaBear
Dear Commissioner Scott:

I got your $25K right here! Pound sand, buddy.

Go Bears and Best Wishes on Your Future Endeavors!

Chancellor Carol T. Christ

85Bear
Meanwhile, ASU WON'T be fined for rushing the field after beating UW.

HungryCalBear
Weird rule but ASU didn't get fined because they waited 60 seconds after the game, like their fans all knew the rule. I say they're just slow to realize the magnitude of the win.

Stupid rule.
bearister
Can Cal qualify for a loan to discharge the obligation?
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
NVBear78
Worth every penny of it...
Calcoholic
If it's getting near the end of a predictable field rushing situation like last Friday was (i.e. not a last second win), the PA announcer should announce during a break in the action that fans should not rush the field or Cal will be fined. Or better yet, if you must rush the field, "wait at least 60 seconds" Hell, they could even put up a 60 second countdown on the Jumbotron. I feel like fans would respect that request if they knew the school would get fined if they don't. Just communicate it.
TheSouseFamily
We should appeal. We all know that smoke rises. The fans were merely running downward toward the field to escape the suffocating and toxic air that filled the upper parts of the stadium. Does the PAC-12 have any shame or concern for the well-being of fans? We should keep that $25K and use it to lease the rights to Sweet Caroline.
Golden One
bross said:

Totally ridiculous rule. It's just another "regulation" that needs to be eliminated.
Bear19
HungryCalBear said:

Weird rule but ASU didn't get fined because they waited 60 seconds after the game, like their fans all knew the rule. I say they're just slow to realize the magnitude of the win.

Stupid rule.
The Pac-12 is like the kid in school who is the class tattletale and obsesses over each rule. There must have been hours of committee discussion about the 60 seconds. "Stupid" is too mild a description for this.
ColoradoBear
HungryCalBear said:

Stupid rule.

We didn't get fined vs Texas because it was a slow enough field rush as well.

The rule was more due to 'donut boy' complaining with Arizona basketball always getting upset.
ColoradoBear
socaliganbear said:

Cal gets 1/12 back?

To be honest 25k is nothing given TV revenues. Just a small way to discourage field storming. Hold the line for 60s then let em go. I wonder if being down on the east side line actually counts if behind the bench area. Plenty of room for the opponents to leave in memorial - especially since the donor sections and esp arent going to be jumping down off the wall.

More serious issues seem to happen in basketball. And not many games are really worth the storming since there are so many.

Cal Strong!
Cal Football too STRONG for WSU.
Cal fans too STRONG to be kept off field.
Cal too STRONG to even try to keep Cal fans off field.

Pac-12 too WEAK to do right thing.

Pac-12 need to take hard look in mirror. Stop being WEAK. Cal not weak. Pac-12 need to toughen up its thinking. Larry Scott soft as baby poop. Larry Scott let networks walk all over him. Pac-12 need be more like Cal and less like Larry Scott.

Cal STRONG!
Cave Bear
Blueblood said:

bross said:

I think this is more a symbolic slap on the wrist to uphold a policy the conference knows is practically difficult to enforce
oskidunker
If everyone who rushed the field sent $100 to Cal, that would work.
Go Bears!
Cal88
Why is the Pac12 enforcing this rule? The conference has no responsibility or legal exposure in case something happens on the field, isn't the liability here all Cal's? this is just bureaucracy and regulation for its own sake.

Fines will escalate to $100k by the third offense IIRC, so it's not peanuts. The AD needs to fight back.
JadenceBear
Ironically, Cal's AD Mike Williams was an advocate of the rule. Per https://dailyevergreen.com/15045/sports/jm-pac-12s-field-storming-policy/
Quote:

Presidents and chancellors of schools in the Pac-12 approved sanctions last year to enhance post-game safety. California Athletic Director Mike Williams was one of the advocates for this new policy.

"The Pac-12 Council considered this policy and its impact on our fans who loyally support our teams," Williams said. "This enhanced policy underscores the importance our universities place on the safety and welfare of our student-athletes, officials and fans."
I vaguely recall Joe Starkey going further and saying that Williams actively pushed for the rule.
Another Bear
I was on the East side with another old blue at the end of the game. He wanted to rush the field. I thought it might not be wise...minor debate occurs. Then I swear after the PA warning I heard the PA say, "Use the stairs...", but it was loud, thought it might be an auditory hallucination.

Did anyone else hear, "Use the stairs?"

Any way, decided not to rush the field.
joe amos yaks
All PAC-12 schools must have (and enforce) a plan that provides 60 seconds for Commissioner Scott to safely exit the stadium after every late start game.
oskidunker
If you love Cal; follow the rule. Rather than thinking of yourself consider you are adding to an already huge debt.
Go Bears!
PtownBear1
One of you attorneys should offer to appeal this pro bono. Total bs
82gradDLSdad
triplebear said:

I was on the East side with another old blue at the end of the game. He wanted to rush the field. I thought it might not be wise...minor debate occurs. Then I swear after the PA warning I heard the PA say, "Use the stairs...", but it was loud, thought it might be an auditory hallucination.

Yes, he said use the stairs.

Sebastabear
I got you fam.
JSC 76
Just set up collection centers at the exit. "All happy Cal fans, please drop $1 in the kettle as you leave. Go Bears!"
Another Bear
82gradDLSdad said:

triplebear said:

Yes, he said use the stairs.

Okay thanks, so I didn't hear thing. That sounds like illicit permission if you ask me. Or at least accepting reality.
chalcidbear
OK, to summarize for folks who may not have read the link provided in the thread:
PAC12 has had this rule since 2016, voted by all the chancellors/presidents: storming the field after 60 seconds is OK, beforehand is not. The rationale is to give the opponents and refs a chance to clear the field before the fans spill over. The home team is considered responsible for maintaining entrance onto the field.

SEC has a similar rule.

Arizona was not fined because it was determined that 60 seconds had passed.

The first offense is 25K, 3rd offense is 100K.

That said, I don't recall hearing ANYTHING on this matter from the stadium announcers (it WAS mentioned on the KGO broadcast), so perhaps in the future, the stadium announcer can spell out to the fans exactly the problem (instead of just making a non-specific plea to not come onto the field at all).

Golden One
JadenceBear said:

Ironically, Cal's AD Mike Williams was an advocate of the rule.
I vaguely recall Joe Starkey going further and saying that Williams actively pushed for the rule.
That figures. He can't be gone soon enough.
GoBears635
triplebear said:

The PA announcement not to rush the field was clearly heard in the north endzone.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.