Pac-12 fines Cal $25,000

11,741 Views | 70 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by calumnus
SFCityBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Golden One said:

JadenceBear said:

Ironically, Cal's AD Mike Williams was an advocate of the rule.
I vaguely recall Joe Starkey going further and saying that Williams actively pushed for the rule.
That figures. He can't be gone soon enough.
This rule, or something like it, is necessary. Hysterical fans rushing a field are an out of control mob, They can and often do result in damage to persons or property, like fans at some overseas soccer games.

I can remember a Big Game, where the score was tied 21-21 when Cal got the ball with seconds left, and Cal's best player, Paul Larson rushed onto the field to kick a long field goal. Before he even got the kick away, thousands of fans (mostly Stanford fans) rushed on to the field, and began tearing down the goal posts. By the time Larson made his kick, the goal posts were just about history. The kick was not a good one, and Cal would not have scored, even if the goal posts had been left in place. But maybe Larson would not have rushed so much, and might have made that field goal, if the posts were not being torn down.

Would you rather still have Sandy Barbour? She played fast and loose with the University's dime, and saddled it with a massive debt for a stadium makeover. She did the same by giving Jeff Tedford and Ben Braun huge contract extensions, and then fired both of them shortly afterwards. In 2013, Cal had the worst graduation rate of any football program in the country. She threw the baseball team under the bus. She gave us Sonny Dykes, who in turn gave us years of a passing offense and the worst defense in the country. She gave us Cuonzo Martin, who gave us a couple of high-powered recruits who soon left, with little success. Then he himself left, and when he did, he left the cupboard almost bare for the next coach.

Williams has few friends on the BI, but he has given us Justin Wilcox and Wyking Jones. We will have to see if those coaches are any good, and can bring Cal some success. I suggest we give them some seasons to do this before we pass final judgment on Williams. I am impressed with Wilcox so far, and am looking forward to the rest of the football season, and to the upcoming basketball season. If these coaches do well, I will be one to give some of the credit to Mike Williams.

MrGPAC
The announcer asked people to NOT rush the field when there was still time left (basically reminding everyone, hey...this is a good time to rush the field!). They said it again right before people rushed the field, then before even finishing the sentence switched it to please use the stairs. The request to use the stairs was clearly a safety concern (don't want people rushing the field to try and jump the wall).

That said, I had NEVER heard about the 60 second rule (though I knew about the fine in general). Definitely seems like rather than saying, "Don't rush the field" they could have:

1) Put a giant countdown timer on the board. "Count down to celebrating with the team on the field!"

OR

2) Played sweet caroline again for 60 seconds to keep everyone distracted...then let them rush the field.

OR (even better)

3) Lead the entire crowd in singing the cal fight song, a bear territory chant, etc for 60 seconds. The whole team could run to the sideline after shaking hands to celebrate with the students for 60 seconds, then disperse.

Either way, people were GOING to rush the field. The fact that they didn't know that waiting would prevent the fine lead directly to the fine occurring. I sure hope they communicate the rule to the crowd in the future...
TheSouseFamily
SFCityBear said:

Golden One said:

JadenceBear said:

I vaguely recall Joe Starkey going further and saying that Williams actively pushed for the rule.
This rule, or something like it, is necessary. Hysterical fans rushing a field are an out of control mob, They can and often do result in damage to persons or property, like fans at some overseas soccer games.

And sometimes the out of control mob is the team that just got beat. Like USC a few weeks ago when one of their athlete-students decked a Wazzu fan rushing the field. Oh and no punishment for the player other than the proverbial "internal" punishment.

https://www.google.com/amp/ftw.usatoday.com/2017/10/video-shows-usc-player-fan-field-storming-rushing-washington-state-wazzu-pac-12/amp
pingpong2
JadenceBear said:

Ironically, Cal's AD Mike Williams was an advocate of the rule. Per https://dailyevergreen.com/15045/sports/jm-pac-12s-field-storming-policy/
Quote:

Presidents and chancellors of schools in the Pac-12 approved sanctions last year to enhance post-game safety. California Athletic Director Mike Williams was one of the advocates for this new policy.

"The Pac-12 Council considered this policy and its impact on our fans who loyally support our teams," Williams said. "This enhanced policy underscores the importance our universities place on the safety and welfare of our student-athletes, officials and fans."

To be fair, he probably thought we'd come out ahead with this rule in place. I mean, how many people thought we'd win enough big games to rush the field?
socaliganbear
The SEC fines are even higher than this. Wonder if they fired all of those ADs?
Bear19
TheSouseFamily said:

We should appeal. We all know that smoke rises. The fans were merely running downward toward the field to escape the suffocating and toxic air that filled the upper parts of the stadium. Does the PAC-12 have any shame or concern for the well-being of fans? We should keep that $25K and use it to lease the rights to Sweet Caroline.
Hahaha. Great idea.
BearlyCareAnymore
MrGPAC said:

The announcer asked people to NOT rush the field when there was still time left (basically reminding everyone, hey...this is a good time to rush the field!). They said it again right before people rushed the field, then before even finishing the sentence switched it to please use the stairs. The request to use the stairs was clearly a safety concern (don't want people rushing the field to try and jump the wall).

That said, I had NEVER heard about the 60 second rule (though I knew about the fine in general). Definitely seems like rather than saying, "Don't rush the field" they could have:

1) Put a giant countdown timer on the board. "Count down to celebrating with the team on the field!"

OR

2) Played sweet caroline again for 60 seconds to keep everyone distracted...then let them rush the field.

OR (even better)

3) Lead the entire crowd in singing the cal fight song, a bear territory chant, etc for 60 seconds. The whole team could run to the sideline after shaking hands to celebrate with the students for 60 seconds, then disperse.

Either way, people were GOING to rush the field. The fact that they didn't know that waiting would prevent the fine lead directly to the fine occurring. I sure hope they communicate the rule to the crowd in the future...

You've basically hit on it. Instead of ineffectual pleas not to rush the field, announce that fans will be allowed on the field in 60 seconds and mention the fine. You tell them not to do it, they'll say eff you and go anyway. Cal should have had a written announcement ready as soon as the rule was passed
FloriDreaming
Cal88 said:

Why is the Pac12 enforcing this rule? The conference has no responsibility or legal exposure in case something happens on the field, isn't the liability here all Cal's? this is just bureaucracy and regulation for its own sake.

Fines will escalate to $100k by the third offense IIRC, so it's not peanuts. The AD needs to fight back.
Well, good news. Cal has UofA and OSU at home, and that's it. No matter what happens in those games, a field rush isn't happening. I suppose, theoretically, Cal could get fined if its fans rush the field at Furd. The AD will have to decide if that possibility warrants doing battle with the Pac 12.
kjkbear
In 1982 we kind of had to rush the field. What a wonderful memory.

The next time I remember going onto the field post-game was when Tedford's first team won Big Game. Boller finally won big game and the north goalposts and maybe the south, came down.

There are risks, and liability issues. There are times when rushing the field is just so right.
Big C
Getting these fines is a good thing, not unlike getting Heidelberg Dueling Scars.
MugsVanSant
Frankly, I do not see what legitimate interest the conference has in keeping fans off the field. Has a visiting coach or team member ever been assaulted by a fan? For that matter, how about the girl who ran on the field and sat down with some kind of sign? Did that constitute fans running on the field or does that rule apply only after the game? By the way, can anyone tell me what her sign said?
Golden One
SFCityBear said:

Golden One said:

JadenceBear said:

I can remember a Big Game, where the score was tied 21-21 when Cal got the ball with seconds left, and Cal's best player, Paul Larson rushed onto the field to kick a long field goal. Before he even got the kick away, thousands of fans (mostly Stanford fans) rushed on to the field, and began tearing down the goal posts. By the time Larson made his kick, the goal posts were just about history. The kick was not a good one, and Cal would not have scored, even if the goal posts had been left in place. But maybe Larson would not have rushed so much, and might have made that field goal, if the posts were not being torn down.

Would you rather still have Sandy Barbour? She played fast and loose with the University's dime, and saddled it with a massive debt for a stadium makeover. She did the same by giving Jeff Tedford and Ben Braun huge contract extensions, and then fired both of them shortly afterwards. In 2013, Cal had the worst graduation rate of any football program in the country. She threw the baseball team under the bus. She gave us Sonny Dykes, who in turn gave us years of a passing offense and the worst defense in the country. She gave us Cuonzo Martin, who gave us a couple of high-powered recruits who soon left, with little success. Then he himself left, and when he did, he left the cupboard almost bare for the next coach.

Williams has few friends on the BI, but he has given us Justin Wilcox and Wyking Jones. We will have to see if those coaches are any good, and can bring Cal some success. I suggest we give them some seasons to do this before we pass final judgment on Williams. I am impressed with Wilcox so far, and am looking forward to the rest of the football season, and to the upcoming basketball season. If these coaches do well, I will be one to give some of the credit to Mike Williams.

No, I wouldn't rather have Sandy Barbour. But why does it have to be a choice between Barbour and Williams? That's like saying "Would you rather have your left eye or your right eye gouged?" Cal deserves much better in the AD role than either of them.
sp4149
MugsVanSant said:

Frankly, I do not see what legitimate interest the conference has in keeping fans off the field. Has a visiting coach or team member ever been assaulted by a fan? For that matter, how about the girl who ran on the field and sat down with some kind of sign? Did that constitute fans running on the field or does that rule apply only after the game? By the way, can anyone tell me what her sign said?
Refs at Cal games used to be scared after they made several bad calls. In the olden days the refs dressed in the home locker room. They complained it wasn't safe and Cal had to build them a separate dressing room and shower. I remember taking the ref's pay into their dressing room, cash in white envelopes. I always wondered if the envelopes were thicker at other venues...
azgreg
Fining a school for something fans do is horse***** Now if you want to fine them for not doing everything in their power to protect the players that's a different story.
Big C
MugsVanSant said:

You know, it's about being able to say you did your due diligence, when some future lawsuit happens.

Pac 12: CYA!
Sebastabear
Ok, confirmed we did indeed get fined and we're not appealing. I'm writing Cal a check to cover this, since I very much enjoyed rushing the field. As my son would say: worth. If it happens again though I'm taking up a collection from you people.
NYCGOBEARS
Sebastabear said:

Ok, confirmed we did indeed get fined and we're not appealing. I'm writing Cal a check to cover this, since I very much enjoyed rushing the field. As my son would say: worth. If it happens again though I'm taking up a collection from you people.

Badass Bear!
socaliganbear
Sebastabear said:

Beer on me this Saturday.
Sebastabear
socaliganbear said:

Sebastabear said:

I'm taking you up on that
NYCGOBEARS
socaliganbear said:

Sebastabear said:

Your drink tab on me this Saturday.

FIFY
bluehenbear
So win or lose will Cal fans storm the field in Palo Alto 15 seconds after the game so furd can get fined?
85Bear
bluehenbear said:

So win or lose will Cal fans storm the field in Palo Alto 15 seconds after the game so furd can get fined?
I like the cut of your jib.
socaliganbear
Sebastabear said:

socaliganbear said:

Sebastabear said:

I'm making a super last minute trip from NYC for this game. Let's do it.

Go Bears!
Goobear
Sebastabear said:

Thanks so much Sebasta. I will let people know about your generosity!
Sebastabear
socaliganbear said:

Sebastabear said:

socaliganbear said:

Sebastabear said:

Go Bears!
SoCal sent you a pm. Let me know if you need a ticket.
socaliganbear
Sebastabear said:

socaliganbear said:

Sebastabear said:

socaliganbear said:

Sebastabear said:

Go Bears!
SoCal sent you a pm. Let me know if you need a ticket.

Replied
GoldenBearofCalifornia
bluehenbear said:

I like the way you think. See you on furd's field.
Sebastabear
GoldenBearofCalifornia said:

bluehenbear said:

I like the way you think. See you on furd's field.
Amusingly, I did ask Cal what would happen if we were to storm Stanford's field when we were discussing how to cover the WSU fine. The answer back from Cal was "[Sebastabear] you know very well that of course we would be fined. We're lucky we didn't get fined for ASU storming the field against Washington." Thought that was funny, and sadly accurate.
gobears725
It can get pretty crazy in basketball when they rush the court, so I understand it there from a safety perspective. Actually I think the rule originated there.

However, the rule probably hasnt stopped one court/field storming, so its probably pretty useless except to collect money from the schools
TheFiatLux
Sebastabear said:

You are badass!!!!

BTW everyone, never go to a Cal event with SebastaBear where you're expected to speak, or at least don't have to follow him... It's a little tough to get people's attention when you go on and they've just announced the new ipads everyone has received were donated by Sebastabear....
SFCityBear
Golden One said:

SFCityBear said:

Golden One said:

JadenceBear said:

No, I wouldn't rather have Sandy Barbour. But why does it have to be a choice between Barbour and Williams? That's like saying "Would you rather have your left eye or your right eye gouged?" Cal deserves much better in the AD role than either of them.
I admit to not hearing every single compliant about Williams, but in the ones I have read here on the Bear Insider, I don't recall any that rose to the level of the damage done to Cal Athletics by Sandy Barbour. I'd like to know more about this, so if you have time, can you mention some of the more egregious complaints you have about Mike Williams? Thanks.

Blueblood
SFCityBear said:

Golden One said:

SFCityBear said:

Golden One said:

JadenceBear said:

I admit to not hearing every single compliant about Williams, but in the ones I have read here on the Bear Insider, I don't recall any that rose to the level of the damage done to Cal Athletics by Sandy Barbour. I'd like to know more about this, so if you have time, can you mention some of the more egregious complaints you have about Mike Williams? Thanks.

All the things that are cited above about how detrimental Sandy was are true. But, I contend that she was
merely setting Cal up the Program to be competitive like other successful, especially for football and
basketball programs. Her real threat, of course, per my thinking was that she threaten the academic brand name of the University. That is, she was developing a sports management major that would have possibly
accommodated the easy survival of many good stellar athletes. This was her mistake because she undertook a battle that she was never going to win.
Golden One
SFCityBear said:

Golden One said:

SFCityBear said:

Golden One said:

JadenceBear said:

I don't think Williams has inflicted serious damage on Cal Athletics or committed any egregious acts. It's just that he hasn't aggressively pursued excellence throughout the program and he hasn't established strong relationships with alumni in general and the donor community specifically. He also is a poor communicator and mediocre administrator. Overall, he just seems weak, and I just think we need a strong and vocal advocate for the program.
bluehenbear
Bump...

At least we didn't get fined $250k!

https://screengrabber.deadspin.com/money-well-spent-1820742345

B.A. Bearacus
Auburn don't care.

Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.