OT: New Fed. Tax Bill - Is this how it ends for Cal?

37,151 Views | 415 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by OdontoBear66
Calcoholic
How long do you want to ignore this user?
"1. GOP tax bill would tax tuition wavers for grad students. This would be a disaster for US STEM PhD education.
2. Currently, STEM PhDs make about $30K per year and get tuition wavers. They can do their PhD without taking on debt, but barely so.
3. If they had to pay taxes on a calculated $50-$60K income (incl. tuition), the actual income would not cover living expenses anymore.
4. At that point, a PhD would not be a viable choice anymore, except for the independently wealthy.
5. Maybe private schools could somehow work around this by charging different tuition for grad students and undergrads.
6. But state schools would likely not be able to do that, due to various laws and regulations.
7. So, no more STEM PhDs at state schools in the US."

Uhh...STEM PhDs are arguably the people who most make Cal, Cal. This seems concerning.
BearGoggles
I'm pretty sure scholarships and fellowships are not taxable. And the article you linked to makes no mention of changing that.

Even if this is changing, how would it be any worse for Cal than other institutions? If anything, this should work in Cal's favor - compared to other elite institutions Cal's tuition is lower, correct? So its not the end for Cal - its arguably bad for all grad students.

And FWIW, with the exception of health benefits, most things employees receive from their employers are taxable.

Sebastabear
I think you could append "ifornia"to the end of your title and be completely accurate.

Hard to imagine Congress could come up with a better bill to ruin California and the economic engine it provides to the entire country if not the world if you tried. Let's see...

1. No more ability to deduct state taxes = massive tax increase on high earners

2. Property tax deductions capped at $10k means (given our home prices) most people who itemize and bought a home in LA or the Bay Area in the last decade lose a good sized sized deduction.

3. Maximimum mortgage deduction halved. Live in Kansas? Not a problem. Live in CA? See point 2.

4. Loss of ability to deduct student debt? Luckily we don't have an educated workforce or anything.

5. And my favorite... Stock options and restricted stock units (basically the magic juice that makes the Valley economy run) are gone. These things are now immediately taxable for the employee on vesting. Not a problem if you are an employee of a public company since you can just sell some of your stock in the market to pay your tax bill, but if you work for a private company like Uber or Airbnb or Palantir - you know basically the companies that have generated most of the growth over the past five years - you are screwed.

So all in all a disaster for the state and for all of the States who feed off of us. They might not see it now, but they will.

Any Ca rep voting for this should be drummed out of office.
NYCGOBEARS
This tax bill is idiotic no matter what side of the aisle you're on.
sycasey
I predict this tax reform effort will go about as well as the health care repeal effort.
Sebastabear
NYCGOBEARS said:

This tax bill is idiotic no matter what side of the aisle you're on.
So true. My most conservative and my most liberal friends all detest this. This is the most unifying piece of legislation I've ever seen Congress propose.
Cal84
The tax bill has a gaping loophole in it. The ability to immediately expense capital expenditures is horrible. Unless you like taking money from the US government.

Here's how it will work:

1) Goldman Sachs (or Citi, or whomever) approaches Intel Corp. and buys their Chandler AZ semiconductor plant at whatever the book value is, let's say $3 billion. That $3 billion is an immediate tax deduction for GS.

2) Goldman leases the plant back to Intel for PV of $3 billion over 10 years.

3) Intel take the $3 billion sale price and invests in a portfolio of fixed income securities (bonds) with a laddered maturity out to 10 years, thereby defeasing the lease costs.

4) GS gets the free $3 billion tax deduction, worth $600 million after tax at the new 20% corporate tax rate. As condition of the deal, GS splits the profits with Intel 50/50.

5) One month later Intel buys the plant back from GS, then leases it to GS and the process repeats over and over again, for free tax deductions. Thanks stupid Congressional legislators.
wifeisafurd
Calcoholic said:

"1. GOP tax bill would tax tuition wavers for grad students. This would be a disaster for US STEM PhD education.
2. Currently, STEM PhDs make about $30K per year and get tuition wavers. They can do their PhD without taking on debt, but barely so.
3. If they had to pay taxes on a calculated $50-$60K income (incl. tuition), the actual income would not cover living expenses anymore.
4. At that point, a PhD would not be a viable choice anymore, except for the independently wealthy.
5. Maybe private schools could somehow work around this by charging different tuition for grad students and undergrads.
6. But state schools would likely not be able to do that, due to various laws and regulations.
7. So, no more STEM PhDs at state schools in the US."

Uhh...STEM PhDs are arguably the people who most make Cal, Cal. This seems concerning.
If true, this is the stupidest thing I have ever heard yet. You make students pay taxes when they don't even have the cash flow to pay? Dumb policy. Also, so much for simplification, since there are ways effectively around this (call the tuition waiver a loan and forgive decades later, etc.). Needless form over substance, more complication and unnecessary. Sounds like a needless small revenue gainer. I just don't get the underlying public policy to make this so important.
wifeisafurd
sycasey said:

I predict this tax reform effort will go about as well as the health care repeal effort.
I predict that some tax bill will pass, because the GOP survival is dependent on same. The corporate tax reduction likely is bipartisan, will be permanent and not even face reconciliation (the corporate tax also is small percentage of tax revenues (around 9%) and most liberal economists (the Reich's of the world) agree that a cut is necessary to be competitive. As for reconciliation, my guess is that the personal tax cuts (note no tax rate cut at highest rates, but it take longer to reach the higher rates, and the lowest rate is increased, but there are new credits and standard deduction to offset the rate gain) will go into effect and certain deductions and benefits will be removed. None of this will improve simplification. The big dollar controversy will be a separate lower tax rate for "small business", whatever that means, which has high growth potential, but also real risk of deficits due to revenue reductions (there are a lot of small businesses). Not sure this change passes. The end of the inheritance tax is a symbolic, high controversy, low impact proposal, as relatively little revenue is raised from this tax, and the tax can be avoided for the most part through good tax planning. GOP probably would give this up.
BearChemist
BearGoggles said:

I'm pretty sure scholarships and fellowships are not taxable. And the article you linked to makes no mention of changing that.

Even if this is changing, how would it be any worse for Cal than other institutions? If anything, this should work in Cal's favor - compared to other elite institutions Cal's tuition is lower, correct? So its not the end for Cal - its arguably bad for all grad students.

And FWIW, with the exception of health benefits, most things employees receive from their employers are taxable.

I don't think you understand what you are talking about. If you are lucky enough to get the super competitive NSF scholarship it is indeed tax free, however most STEM students at public research university (like Cal) get tuition waiver.

When I entered Cal my stipend was 28k per year, and that is the amount of income got taxed. Now the stipend has become 30k but the rent has doubled, which means currently it's already very hard to be a STEM graduate student and live at Berkeley. Now according to the proposed house tax bill, I would get pay 30k but taxed like ~55k. There is absolutely no reason to state Cal which sits at the area with the highest COL would not be affected as much.
calbear93
In a lot of ways, this is a tax increase for the wealthy. In addition, this has the potential to chill the ever increasing income inequality between top earners in a corporation and everyone else. The stock option will go by the wayside since the tax is payable upon vesting and not upon exercise. In addition, the ability to defer taxes for the wealthy by deferring delivery date after vesting will be gone. Most importantly, the loophole to exempt performance based compensation from the 1 million cap under 162(m) will be gone. The top rate stays for the wealthy since it still applies to income over 500k. Wealthy folks won't be able to get tax benefit from financing above average-cost houses.

What do you guys hate about this? That many wealthy folks will have to pay more or get paid less?
socaliganbear
Well, I think one thing people here hate about it is the very topic of this thread, further illustrated by BearChemist.
calbear93
That's a fair point. I personally would hope that the offsetting revenue can be found elsewhere. However, every special interest group will have a reason why increasing taxes on them would be catastrophic. This one probably creates negative long term growth, but I don't know enough about this aspect of the proposal.

You will note that I was responding to the post about how the tax proposal disproportionately affects the wealthy in California (who also happen to have disproportionate wealth overall). My point is that the tax proposal will raise taxes for many wealthy folks in general and that there was no compelling reason for the federal government to get less tax revenue because a state decided to raise its taxes or because the company elects to defer payroll through equity instead of cash. People know about state taxes like they know about other higher cost of living in the coasts. They make their choice accordingly. There is no tax benefit for paying other higher cost for living on the coasts. Likewise, there is very little objective reason why home owners should be rewarded by the government more than those who have to rent. 500K is just a compromise. Everyone wants to raise taxes until it impacts them. One way to simplify is to get rid of all the special interest exemptions. I am not saying that this accomplished the goal, but some rich folks will just have to pay more for the benefit of all. If this passes, those rich folks will also include us. I'm OK with us privileged folks on the coast paying more.
sycasey
wifeisafurd said:

sycasey said:

I predict that some tax bill will pass, because the GOP survival is dependent on same.
I'll just say: this is precisely the same argument people made to predict that Obamacare repeal would pass.
bearister
bearister
No, this is how it ends.

Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
Sebastabear
calbear93 said:

That's a fair point. I personally would hope that the offsetting revenue can be found elsewhere. However, every special interest group will have a reason why increasing taxes on them would be catastrophic. This one probably creates negative long term growth, but I don't know enough about this aspect of the proposal.

You will note that I was responding to the post about how the tax proposal disproportionately affects the wealthy in California (who also happen to have disproportionate wealth overall). My point is that the tax proposal will raise taxes for many wealthy folks in general and that there was no compelling reason for the federal government to get less tax revenue because a state decided to raise its taxes or because the company elects to defer payroll through equity instead of cash. People know about state taxes like they know about other higher cost of living in the coasts. They make their choice accordingly. There is no tax benefit for paying other higher cost for living on the coasts. Likewise, there is very little objective reason why home owners should be rewarded by the government more than those who have to rent. 500K is just a compromise. Everyone wants to raise taxes until it impacts them. One way to simplify is to get rid of all the special interest exemptions. I am not saying that this accomplished the goal, but some rich folks will just have to pay more for the benefit of all. If this passes, those rich folks will also include us. I'm OK with us privileged folks on the coast paying more.
The issue, is the massive tax differential that is being created between the "working rich"and the "investing rich". You are modeling this assuming it is a homogenous group. It is not. People who get a paycheck, no matter the size, are being hammered. If they live in the blue states more so. If you are an "owner"you are the beneficiary of these cuts. The issue is that how people become "owners"is by working in places like the Silicon Valley and I am telling you that without stock options that dream dies. Everyone loses.

And for the record, I also hate this proposal because I am a fiscal conservative and I oppose massive deficits no matter who is in power. A $1.5 trillion (minimum) hole in the budget because of this idiocy is not ok because it is the Republicans now doing it - many of whom were screaming about our deficit a year ago. Stealing an additional $1.5trillion from your kids and grandkids is no bueno.
BearlyCareAnymore
calbear93 said:

I'm sorry, but you are a sucker. Rich people do not ever pay more, least of all with this proposal. First of all, they don't give a damn about a couple percentage points on the upper tax bracket because most of their income is taxed at the much lower capital gains rate. See Romney's tax rate compared to people like Gingrich. If you aren't an athlete or actor who makes an extremely high salary and comparatively low investment income you don't get hit hard. The bulk of the cuts go to wealthy by eliminating alternative min tax and drastically cutting the corporate rates. Over all, they have a big plus.

Stock options are not just the realm of the wealthy. It is a major form of compensation for the rank and file in the tech industry. Often, stock options will amount to a few thousand dollars for an employee. They aren't just multi million grants to management.

Basically the republicans wanted to give a fat tax cut to their friends and they are doing so by screwing their enemies. Screw universities and anyone with an education by doing away with tax breaks for education including those that can only be claimed by people making $80k or less. Screw the tech industry. Screw people in high tax, high cost of living states in the $150k - $300k range REALLY hard so the can't contribute to the democrats while giving the same income range in red states nice cuts. Reduce the mortgage deduction so that blue states pay more and it destroys their housing market. But hey, according to you I can choose not to live in a blue state. My expectations as an American should be to assume the party in power will screw over the other side and I should move to a red state to enjoy the spoils. Hope you feel the same way when the democrats retaliate as I will demand such from any democrat in office.

Corporate taxes needed to be restructured. The nominal rates were high. However, the effective rates were average because of the stupid loopholes. They could have created and paid for a reasonable system by lowering the rates and eliminating the loopholes. Instead, they gave them 100% of the benefit and 0% of the pain.

I like your theory of compromise is great. You pay zero now. I want you to pay $50k. Okay. You pay $25k. Compromise! I'm just glad they didn't ask me to pay a million or I'd be paying $500k for the compromise.

This bill is designed to massively screw over the educated and every democratic group they can hit not just on taxes but on economic impact. Any Californian who votes republican after this is a complete and utter moron.
BearlyCareAnymore
Sebastabear said:

calbear93 said:

The issue, is the massive tax differential that is being created between the "working rich"and the "investing rich". You are modeling this assuming it is a homogenous group. It is not. People who get a paycheck, no matter the size, are being hammered. If they live in the blue states more so. If you are an "owner"you are the beneficiary of these cuts. The issue is that how people become "owners"is by working in places like the Silicon Valley and I am telling you that without stock options that dream dies. Everyone loses.

And for the record, I also hate this proposal because I am a fiscal conservative and I oppose massive deficits no matter who is in power. A $1.5 trillion (minimum) hole in the budget because of this idiocy is not ok because it is the Republicans now doing it - many of whom were screaming about our deficit a year ago. Stealing an additional $1.5trillion from your kids and grandkids is no bueno.

90% of Americans do not understand the differences between how investment income is taxed vs. straight up I go to work and get a paycheck. If they did, there would be open revolt.
sketchy9
Also, apparently double dipping on taxes of corporate income is bad (hence why there is a different capital gains tax rate compared to ordinary income) but double dipping on taxes on wages is now perfectly fine (e.g.the feds taking money that a person never received since it was paid to states). There's not a clearer example of how skewed the system is to investors vs. wage earners.
BearlyCareAnymore
sycasey said:

wifeisafurd said:

sycasey said:

I predict that some tax bill will pass, because the GOP survival is dependent on same.
I'll just say: this is precisely the same argument people made to predict that Obamacare repeal would pass.

The difference is that republican benefactors actually want this and they don't see the political costs of this yet. The democrats need to work hard to defeat this. They need to make this career suicide for every republican in a blue or purple state. They need to get to deficit hawks. They need to get every one of the few ethical politicians who think "to the victor go the spoils" is bad governance.

If the dems think sitting and waiting for the republicans to screw this up will work this time, this will pass. They need to make the public detest this bill.
sycasey
OaktownBear said:

sycasey said:

wifeisafurd said:

sycasey said:

The difference is that republican benefactors actually want this and they don't see the political costs of this yet. The democrats need to work hard to defeat this. They need to make this career suicide for every republican in a blue or purple state. They need to get to deficit hawks. They need to get every one of the few ethical politicians who think "to the victor go the spoils" is bad governance.

If the dems think sitting and waiting for the republicans to screw this up will work this time, this will pass. They need to make the public detest this bill.

I expect that the way Republicans are playing this will make it easy for Democrats to campaign against it (so bad that even a conservative Dem like Joe Manchin won't support it).

I also don't think Democrats just sat on the sidelines during the health-care fight, they stuck together and worked to amplify the voices speaking against it. No reason they can't do the same for this thing. My prediction is based on an expectation that this will happen. It's not a call for Democrats to sit on their hands.
sp4149
Sebastabear said:

calbear93 said:

In many ways this is a Robin Hood tax plan, steal from the well-to-do states (tax payers) and give to the poor, red state (GOP) tax payers. Many Red (or GOP) states fund their state government from federal money (aka taxes). AKIN to corporate welfare, economically successful states will end up subsidizing other states. If California got back from the FEDs a dollar for every tax dollar collected, the state income tax could be eliminated. If deep Southern (GOP) states like Mississippi got back a dollar for every tax dollar collected, the state would dissolve and flow into the Gulf of Mexico. Many of these RED states are already in serious funding trouble because of recent tax cuts that wiped out state reserves. This tax proposal has strong support from red state legislators who already have shown their fiscal incompetence at the state level.

The one thing I haven't heard about from the media is tax free municipal bonds. It had been proposed to eliminate them; that is the income would now be taxable. This would be a massive blow to seniors who have purchased the bonds or mutual funds investing in them on two fronts. First they would have to pay taxes on income that was previously tax free and two the value of the bonds themselves will be discounted to match the interest rate on similar bonds that are currently taxed. And the issuing municipalities would be hammered when they issue bonds as the interest rate on new issues would increase around 50% overnight, and that would mean a future increase in the cost of local governments just to service this high priced debt. There is a lot of municipal debt in California financed by these bonds.

From early evaluations of the tax proposal, I see my taxes and my mother's taxes increasing by several thousand a year, even though as senior citizens we have incomes under 100K. Elderly single seniors,
clipping muni coupons so to speak, will get hammered.
ColoradoBear
Another consequence could be the elimination of tax deductions on donations required for football seats. Like ESP...

https://www.cbssports.com/general/news/republican-tax-bill-takes-aim-at-season-ticket-donations-in-college-and-pro-sports/

Also, certain kinds of Muni bonds would not be tax exempt, which wold definitely affect NFL teams like the Raiders and their ability to fund stadiums. I'm not sure what it would mean for those currently holding UC bonds sold to fund the stadium and SAHPC projects, but I'd think it could affect future use of bonds by UC to raise capital for projects.
burritos
sycasey said:

Hard to get stuff done when the leader has frank Alzheimer's with intractable personality disorders.
Sebastabear
ColoradoBear said:

Another consequence could be the elimination of tax deductions on donations required football seats. Like ESP...

https://www.cbssports.com/general/news/republican-tax-bill-takes-aim-at-season-ticket-donations-in-college-and-pro-sports/

Also, certain kinds of Muni bonds would not be tax exempt, which wold definitely affect NFL teams like the Raiders and their ability to fund stadiums. I'm not sure what it would mean for those currently holding UC bonds sold to fund the stadium and SAHPC projects, but I'd think it could affect future use of bonds by UC to raise capital for projects.
Wow. Hadn't seen that. Well that pretty much blows up our ESP model. Hard to imagine Congress could devise something worse than this package of changes for Cal if they tried.
CAL6371
Sebastabear - I agree with you.
As someone who always votes Republican, I see this as a bad bill in large part due to the elimination of the estate tax. I grew up in Lafayette and saw a lot of lazy student rich kids inherit their father's business. Why should they have a windfall because they won the parent lottery? My father and his siblings all did very well in their professions, but none of them did so because they helped by their children to make money. I never made my father rich (other than helping by being financially independent since I was 18 by working part-time and paying all my bills). An inheritance is almost always a windfall - it should be taxed heavily since it was not earned by the recipient.
Many revolutionaries were upper middle or upper class spoiled brats - like Steven Bingham. He was from a wealthy family (newspaper business) and ended up taking a gun into San Quentin to give to George Jackson who used it to foment a riot and kill prison guards. Being wealthy, he fled to Europe for years and then returned to be acquitted when the case against him had deteriorated. Incidentally, the last person he saw before going to Q was his uncle - a professor of East Asian history at Cal and the worst teacher I ever had at Cal.
Down with the coupon-clipping rich and their kids!!!
End of rant.
ColoradoBear
Sebastabear said:

ColoradoBear said:

Another consequence could be the elimination of tax deductions on donations required football seats. Like ESP...

Wow. Hadn't seen that. Well that pretty much blows up our ESP model. Hard to imagine Congress could devise something worse than this package of changes for Cal if they tried.
Revenge for what happened to milo here?

But seriously everyone needs to buy ESP with the upfront one- time payment right now to lock in the tax savings.

Depending on the tax bracket, that could be a ~35-40% difference in price paid out of pocket.

Unit2Sucks
I don't know that I agree with having a large estate tax and think that it's largely something that is a trap for people who don't have great legal and tax advisors, but it's clear that this tax bill, among other things, was designed to help a certain population: wealthy real estate developers. This should surprise precisely no one.

I love that the republicans started with talking about tax reform in order to simplify the code and have ended up with something that is likely more complicated than the starting point. They say they don't like how the existing code picks winners, and all these changes to is pick a new set of winners, which happens to correspond with people in states that voted for Trump.

Hopefully this bill is as unsuccessful as everything else Trump has tried to do with legislative support thus far in his administration.
BearlyCareAnymore
CAL6371 said:

Sebastabear - I agree with you.
As someone who always votes Republican, I see this as a bad bill in large part due to the elimination of the estate tax. I grew up in Lafayette and saw a lot of lazy student rich kids inherit their father's business. Why should they have a windfall because they won the parent lottery? My father and his siblings all did very well in their professions, but none of them did so because they helped by their children to make money. I never made my father rich (other than helping by being financially independent since I was 18 by working part-time and paying all my bills). An inheritance is almost always a windfall - it should be taxed heavily since it was not earned by the recipient.
Many revolutionaries were upper middle or upper class spoiled brats - like Steven Bingham. He was from a wealthy family (newspaper business) and ended up taking a gun into San Quentin to give to George Jackson who used it to foment a riot and kill prison guards. Being wealthy, he fled to Europe for years and then returned to be acquitted when the case against him had deteriorated. Incidentally, the last person he saw before going to Q was his uncle - a professor of East Asian history at Cal and the worst teacher I ever had at Cal.
Down with the coupon-clipping rich and their kids!!!
End of rant.
The estate tax was supposed to simplify matters by not requiring capital gains to be paid upon death. When someone dies, the fair market value of their property for capital gains purposes is stepped up to the value upon their death. So they can buy (or more likely inherit) a stock for a dollar when they are young. When they die, the tax burden on the capital gains is wiped out. The person who now inherits a stock worth $100 pays tax only when they sell and only on the increase from $100. Then if they hold it for their lifetime, their heirs do the same thing. Extremely wealthy families with a large investment portfolio increase their wealth and pay taxes only on a fraction.

I say eliminate the estate tax and bring back the capital gains tax from the date of original purchase.

As far as I'm concerned, income is income. Tax it all the same. I actually have sympathy in eliminating corporate taxes altogether and just charging the tax on the capital gains of the individual investors. (assuming the capital gains is taxed the same as wage income and assuming every individual investor in a corporation can be taxed)
CaliforniaEternal
ColoradoBear said:

Sebastabear said:

ColoradoBear said:

Revenge for what happened to milo here?

But seriously everyone needs to buy ESP with the upfront one- time payment right now to lock in the tax savings.

Depending on the tax bracket, that could be a ~35-40% difference in price paid out of pocket.

Yep, anyone in ESP or considering ESP on installments should prepay before Dec. 31st if they can.

As for the tax exempt muni bonds, it's likely that this would apply to future issues, kind of like the mortgage interest deduction will still apply up to $1M for existing mortgages.

dajo9
wifeisafurd said:

sycasey said:

I predict that some tax bill will pass, because the GOP survival is dependent on same. The corporate tax reduction likely is bipartisan, will be permanent and not even face reconciliation (the corporate tax also is small percentage of tax revenues (around 9%) and most liberal economists (the Reich's of the world) agree that a cut is necessary to be competitive. As for reconciliation, my guess is that the personal tax cuts (note no tax rate cut at highest rates, but it take longer to reach the higher rates, and the lowest rate is increased, but there are new credits and standard deduction to offset the rate gain) will go into effect and certain deductions and benefits will be removed. None of this will improve simplification. The big dollar controversy will be a separate lower tax rate for "small business", whatever that means, which has high growth potential, but also real risk of deficits due to revenue reductions (there are a lot of small businesses). Not sure this change passes. The end of the inheritance tax is a symbolic, high controversy, low impact proposal, as relatively little revenue is raised from this tax, and the tax can be avoided for the most part through good tax planning. GOP probably would give this up.
Please provide a source for Robert Reich advocating for lower corporate tax rates.

I don't believe there are 60 votes in the Senate for a decrease in the corporate tax rate. Furthermore, I think any democratic Senator that votes in favor would be more likely to lose their next election.
dajo9
calbear93 said:

As others have pointed out - wealthy blue states already pay much more in taxes to the Federal government than poor red states so any Californian should advocate for tax changes that reduces this difference, rather than the proposed plan which increases this difference.

Also, as has been pointed out, while taxes may go up for some high income earning working stiffs, the tax plan is designed to mostly benefits wealthy owners. Ownership is what matters for the current Republican Party. If you don't own you aren't part of the club - and the club is getting smaller and smaller and more exclusive. The need to trick people into supporting the Republican Party becomes more and more necessary and desperate. The need for voter suppression and gerrymandering to keep Republicans in power gets bigger and bigger.

This tax plan would make income inequality worse than it ever has been in America.
wifeisafurd
OaktownBear said:

calbear93 said:

I'm sorry, but you are a sucker. Rich people do not ever pay more, least of all with this proposal. First of all, they don't give a damn about a couple percentage points on the upper tax bracket because most of their income is taxed at the much lower capital gains rate. See Romney's tax rate compared to people like Gingrich. If you aren't an athlete or actor who makes an extremely high salary and comparatively low investment income you don't get hit hard. The bulk of the cuts go to wealthy by eliminating alternative min tax and drastically cutting the corporate rates. Over all, they have a big plus.

Stock options are not just the realm of the wealthy. It is a major form of compensation for the rank and file in the tech industry. Often, stock options will amount to a few thousand dollars for an employee. They aren't just multi million grants to management.

Basically the republicans wanted to give a fat tax cut to their friends and they are doing so by screwing their enemies. Screw universities and anyone with an education by doing away with tax breaks for education including those that can only be claimed by people making $80k or less. Screw the tech industry. Screw people in high tax, high cost of living states in the $150k - $300k range REALLY hard so the can't contribute to the democrats while giving the same income range in red states nice cuts. Reduce the mortgage deduction so that blue states pay more and it destroys their housing market. But hey, according to you I can choose not to live in a blue state. My expectations as an American should be to assume the party in power will screw over the other side and I should move to a red state to enjoy the spoils. Hope you feel the same way when the democrats retaliate as I will demand such from any democrat in office.

Corporate taxes needed to be restructured. The nominal rates were high. However, the effective rates were average because of the stupid loopholes. They could have created and paid for a reasonable system by lowering the rates and eliminating the loopholes. Instead, they gave them 100% of the benefit and 0% of the pain.

I like your theory of compromise is great. You pay zero now. I want you to pay $50k. Okay. You pay $25k. Compromise! I'm just glad they didn't ask me to pay a million or I'd be paying $500k for the compromise.

This bill is designed to massively screw over the educated and every democratic group they can hit not just on taxes but on economic impact. Any Californian who votes republican after this is a complete and utter moron.
I tend to agree with Oak, but come at it from a different perspective.

The proposed tax law does have a bias against high tax states like California. My guess is professionals in California from the 100K to 500K area will be hurt the most (beyond that income level you lose most of your deductions anyway). Still, most Californians earning between 50K to 100K will pay less tax. But do understand that for people in high income/high tax states, there are losers at the high-income levels, which makes for an amusing irony on the BI site where everyone was complaining about income distribution, other than those BI posters in say Texas. I'm not surprised at some of the take-aways in the name of "tax simplification" or "revenue neutrality" (actually one dealing with eliminating the adoption credit has pissed off the pro-life lobby) are biased against liberal causes. If the Dems want changes they have to negotiate and some moderate Dems must be willing to sign on, or they simply will have to take what the GOP wants. The answer, of course, is the famous line from Obama: win an election. The GOP controls the legislative and executive branch. Obamacare will fail, in part due to executive actions, DACA is going, governmental environmental and global warming regulation is going, and so are a lot of other Democratic causes, unless they come to the table. The GOP blames Obamacare on the Dems, but the GOP refused to work with the Dems, so they got a bad bill shoved down their throat. Well, here we go again. Obama may have been somewhat divisive, but he got two terms. Like it or not, so may Trump, and now Trump is reversing everything Obama did. The shoe has fallen on the other partisan shoe so to speak, and I guess people like Oak are feeling like people in the fly over states. Me, I want my taxes reduced and simplified. I'm probably getting neither.

Corporate taxes. I appreciate this is an emotional issue, but currently we are talking about less than 10% of income taxes paid, and probably only a couple percent reduction in revenues assuming no growth leading to increased revenues. The effective tax rate is a little under 20% due mostly to:

1) Accelerated depreciation, which is a tax deferral not reduction, and applies to companies that actually depreciate things. For example, pubic companies tend to ignore things like accelerated depreciation in order to report higher earnings (as an aside if you look at the financials of most public companies, they have a surprisingly high tax level), and depreciation doesn't help all that much in a service industry. However, accelerating depreciation means capital investment, so from a bipartisan standpoint, politicians tend to like it.
2) Offshoring income. This means things like holding patents in oversea subs, that then ripping out domestic profits through licensing fees, etc. (think tech companies, though everyone does it). Another variance that is broad based for multinational companies is holding massive cash/profits in foreign affiliates (this is a huge domestic investment drain). Reducing the corporate tax rate will help with this in theory, since the companies do pay taxes in foreign jurisdictions on this income, and lower rates mean repatriation of income, and less incentive to overseas future income.
3) There are some domestic industries that get specific tax breaks. Make a car in the US, get a credit. Make an electric car in the US, we gave your customers tax credits. Surprisingly, these give always seem to have bipartisan support. I don't see much of this going away given lobbying efforts.
4) Net operating loss carry-forwards or carry backs. Every country allows losses against future profits. It's standard tax practice and is incorporated into many US tax treaties with most countries. Not gonna change.

There are tons of articles and scholarly papers dealing with this, but a lot of time is wasted on corporate taxes considering their small impact on tax revenues and the huge potential upside for growth and domestic investment. There seems to be bipartisan support for corporate rate

Capital gains: I say this with some irony, but the tax prorposal is rather neutral toward existing capital gains rates because your not reducing the income rates on top earners so they are more incentivized toward salary. In fact, the taxation of pass through entities at a reduced rate with no pass through, provides a huge incentive towards income, rather then capital gains. We will need to see what small business means.
Sebastabear
dajo9 said:

wifeisafurd said:

sycasey said:

Please provide a source for Robert Reich advocating for lower corporate tax rates.

I don't believe there are 60 votes in the Senate for a decrease in the corporate tax rate. Furthermore, I think any democratic Senator that votes in favor would be more likely to lose their next election.
There aren't 60 votes for this in the senate, but they only need 50. That was the point of the whole budget reconciliation song and dance a few weeks ago. As long as they keep this under $1.5 tn no filibuster possible.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.