Why?

9,107 Views | 55 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by TheFiatLux
Mama Bear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
71Bear said:

Mama Bear said:

I agree with your post. Another reminder of how our traditions have changed (eroded). But I'll be darned if we are going to miss the Big Game. We'll be there whatever time. Even delayed our trip to the Maui Invitational to attend. My husband wasn't ready to give up his over 60+ straight Big Games. We'll be cheering for our extraordinary fighting Golden Bears in lousy seats in the End Zone. Beats any bar TV viewing atmosphere I've seen. Sometimes kiddos you just have to suck up inconvenience to enjoy the best things in life.
"...you have to suck up the inconveniences to enjoy the best things in life."

Absolutely the truth!!

Of course, the "best things in life" is a relative term. To me, that is defined as traveling around the world to experience different cultures. To someone else, it means attending sporting events. etc. etc. etc.
Good point 71Bear. I definitely have life's "best things" in categories. That way you have a whole lot of bests and life is good. It's far too easy to stay close to home.
Golden One
KoreAmBear said:

Golden One said:

Today I received two invitations to Big Game Watch Parties. The first was from the Tri-Valley Cal Alumni Club, which is having a watch party at Handles Gastropub in Pleasanton, and the second was from the Cal Athletic Fund, which is sponsoring a watch party at Gio's Puzza and Bocce in Berkeley. Why in the hell are these local Cal organizations holding watch parties in the Bay Area, when the game itself is being played locally at Stanfurd? Are Cal alumni really so lazy or cheap that they can't get in the car and drive a few miles to see the game live? And we wonder why we get only 25,000 to 35,000 people to attend games live in Berkeley. What's wrong with people. This is the Big Game--Cal vs. Stanfurd. Go to the damn stadium and cheer on our Golden Bears. To hell with the local watch parties. This team has heart, is playing hard, and deserves our active support. Go Bears! And shame on people to attend local watch parties.
I'm in full agreement with you @GO. That's such weak sauce and sends a horrible message.

Having said that, I am getting scared I am agreeing with you more often these days.
Now, now KAB, don't be scared. I don't bite!
Another Bear
Blame Furd for the erosion of Big Game tradition. When they renovated and reduced the capacity at Stanfurd Stadium, they also killed off the near equal ticket split with Cal. It use to be you could head down to the Farm, tail gate and see a good representation of Cal, and it was friendly and harmless.

Oh well, things change...but no matter...**** FURD! Go Bears!
KoreAmBear
Golden One said:

KoreAmBear said:

Golden One said:

Today I received two invitations to Big Game Watch Parties. The first was from the Tri-Valley Cal Alumni Club, which is having a watch party at Handles Gastropub in Pleasanton, and the second was from the Cal Athletic Fund, which is sponsoring a watch party at Gio's Puzza and Bocce in Berkeley. Why in the hell are these local Cal organizations holding watch parties in the Bay Area, when the game itself is being played locally at Stanfurd? Are Cal alumni really so lazy or cheap that they can't get in the car and drive a few miles to see the game live? And we wonder why we get only 25,000 to 35,000 people to attend games live in Berkeley. What's wrong with people. This is the Big Game--Cal vs. Stanfurd. Go to the damn stadium and cheer on our Golden Bears. To hell with the local watch parties. This team has heart, is playing hard, and deserves our active support. Go Bears! And shame on people to attend local watch parties.
I'm in full agreement with you @GO. That's such weak sauce and sends a horrible message.

Having said that, I am getting scared I am agreeing with you more often these days.
Now, now KAB, don't be scared. I don't bite!
I heard your teeth are sharp.

Back to the topic, this is always a chance to make The Big Game at Furd Stadium a home game for Cal fans. Sure if there needs to be viewing party for those who absolutely cannot go, have them. But keep it down to the masses. Encourage fans to go and make it a home game, because it easily could be. And it doesn't matter where you sit because you will have Cal fans all around you.
Yogi58
SanseiBear said:

Yogi, we got to meet for lunch before a game next fall. I enjoyed our time on different chats over the years, but I have never met you in person. I'll be 79 next February so I don't know how much longer I can keep flying up to SFO to catch the games. What do I look like? I was on the field this past Saturday when they recognized two season ticket holders.
It's a deal.
philly1121
I dunno Golden One. I think the watch parties are there for the community. It gives a sense of community to those that either don't want to go or can't go. Does it matter the reason? At least they're watching, right.

I went to a watch party when I lived in San Diego. I thought it was a watch party for Cal only but it wa a dual party with Stanford alum. I just about died. I walked in and was like - no, this cannot be. I'm not breaking bread with these ****s! But I stayed and it was ok.

I wish they had a watch party in Central Valley. This area had a lot of Cal alums here
ibhoagiesforlife
I'm going to get a ticket off of StubHub. What section does Cal sit in?

Btw noticed potential rain in the forecast. It may very well end up being pretty empty.
Mama Bear
We're in 226, Cal always in that section and next two get mixed. My weather forecast looks very good. Go for it. Second level best viewing.
Cave Bear
I'm going to be there because it's the Big Game and life appears to be allowing me to go.
ibhoagiesforlife
I understand showing up and having a crowd but viewing parties surely have an opportunity to increase fandom in general. During the Tedford years, it was a tradition to get all the Cal alum friends together at my place. Most of these people wouldn't actually attend a game but would enjoy an opportunity to hang out and catch up with friends. These casual fans are ones who'd make the effort to go to a game if we were a decent team but also the ones who don't come when we're bad/mediocre.
TheFiatLux
Sebastabear said:

Got my tickets through Cal and I definitely don't have a "good" seat, by any objective measurement, but I know I'll be surrounded by Cal fans and it will be much easier to rush the field when we get the Axe back. So wouldn't trade that for all the widescreen tv's in the world.
Are they splitting up Cal rooting section again like they did last game at Stanfurd? That was such a bush league move to put half of us in one endzone (upper deck) and the other half in the other end zone (upper deck). Instead of the traditional one mass of fans. It's just so petty.
HighlandDutch
TheFiatLux said:

Sebastabear said:

Got my tickets through Cal and I definitely don't have a "good" seat, by any objective measurement, but I know I'll be surrounded by Cal fans and it will be much easier to rush the field when we get the Axe back. So wouldn't trade that for all the widescreen tv's in the world.
Are they splitting up Cal rooting section again like they did last game at Stanfurd? That was such a bush league move to put half of us in one endzone (upper deck) and the other half in the other end zone (upper deck). Instead of the traditional one mass of fans. It's just so petty.
True, but in all fairness, we do the same thing to them, putting 37 of their fans in one section and the other 37 in another.
TheFiatLux
HighlandDutch said:

TheFiatLux said:

Sebastabear said:

True, but in all fairness, we do the same thing to them, putting 37 of their fans in one section and the other 37 in another.
YOu know, fair point! But in all seriousness, their turnout last year was ABYSMAL, even by their standards. It's fun to make fun of, but for my money it was so much more fun with 2/3 the stadium was Cal, and 1/3 was Stanford and you just had that clear break between the white and red, and the blue and gold in the stadium. Stuff like that matters. ANd Stanfurd seems to be doing everything it can to ruin this great tradition.
bluehenbear
bluehenbear
bluehenbear
wifeisafurd
NYCGOBEARS said:

wifeisafurd said:

Sebastabear said:

I will be holding down the fort in the middle of Furdville. I will try to not be too obnoxious when Patrick Laird holds the axe over his head.

What the heck is wrong with you? It's been 7 years. Be obnoxious.
My wife has looked sympathetic the last 7 years, so I have personal considerations. Happy wife, happy life if you know what I mean.
AunBear89
SOP for Golden One-note: if someone at Cal organized something then it is a waste of time and those people are idiot libtards that ruin everything.

Terminal "You-kids-get-off-my-lawn" Syndrome.
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." -- (maybe) Benjamin Disraeli, popularized by Mark Twain
Golden One
Sorry that you're having a bad day, AB89. Try going outside for some fresh air.
Big C
wifeisafurd said:

NYCGOBEARS said:

wifeisafurd said:

Sebastabear said:

I will be holding down the fort in the middle of Furdville. I will try to not be too obnoxious when Patrick Laird holds the axe over his head.

What the heck is wrong with you? It's been 7 years. Be obnoxious.
My wife has looked sympathetic the last 7 years, so I have personal considerations. Happy wife, happy life if you know what I mean.
I once dated a Stanfurd co-ed. After I caught some flack, I decided to ask "WWJKD" (What would Joe Kapp do?" His answer encouraged me. I believe he said something like, "Look what we do: We take their women!"
Big C
TheFiatLux said:

HighlandDutch said:

TheFiatLux said:

Sebastabear said:

YOu know, fair point! But in all seriousness, their turnout last year was ABYSMAL, even by their standards. It's fun to make fun of, but for my money it was so much more fun with 2/3 the stadium was Cal, and 1/3 was Stanford and you just had that clear break between the white and red, and the blue and gold in the stadium. Stuff like that matters. ANd Stanfurd seems to be doing everything it can to ruin this great tradition.
I think that is what they are doing again, as we are in sec. 125, but had the option of being in a different section, far away from that (one down low and the other up high, too).

FiatLux, I agree 100% with your point and would even take it farther and say I missed their lame band last year. Now, do I like the Stanfurd Band? Au contraire, but just having those buffoons there, REPRESENTING STANFURD, makes me laugh and further accentuates the contrast between the two schools.
TheFiatLux
bluehenbear said:

I wish we had more of this video because the most glorious part was how they could not stop the wave we were doing. I actually - and i can't believe I'm typing this - felt a little sorry for the Stanford fans there, who after all, are the few who cared.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.