Andrew Luck - Biggest Bist since Ryan Leaf?

7,926 Views | 47 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Bobodeluxe
burritos
How long do you want to ignore this user?
juarezbear said:

TheFiatLux said:

okaydo said:

Uh, I don't want to go there. Peyton saved the Colts' asses.

But Luck can't do the same just because he ended up in a bad situation.

Us Cal fans our lucky in that Rodgers and Goff ended up in perfect situations.

Imagine if Rodgers had ended up at the 49ers .

Imagine if Goff had ended up at a terrible franchise.

Jesus Christ, Goff is so lucky. So so lucky. So so so lucky that Jeff Fisher didn't go 7-9 last year or 8-8.
I love Cal fans. See, we had a QB was lucky because he ended up with a *****ty franchise. But also we had another QB was lucky because he ended with a gold standard of a franchise.

"Imagine if Goff had ended up at a terrible franchise..." Um, he did. The Rams had ELEVEN straight losing seasons before he got there, including in that span a 3 win season, 2 2-win season, and a 1-win eason. You don;t have to imagine it. He did end up at a terrible franchise. And he's the one leading the turn around.

Luck was a transcendent college QB. The best of his generation. Great arm, tough, and most importantly, big and physically thick. Remember DeCoud bouncing off him like a B.B.? He, not RGIII (a legit bust) deserved the Heisman. However, durability is another hallmark of great QBs. Eli Manning, Matt Ryan, and Rogers have all shown durability. I actually think a major mistake was bringing in his Stanford OC to the Colts. Didn't things go downhill afterwards?
QBs tend to be good when they have a pro-oline playing for them at the collegiate level.
burritos
TheFiatLux said:

okaydo said:

TheFiatLux said:

okaydo said:

Jesus Christ, Goff is so lucky. So so lucky. So so so lucky that Jeff Fisher didn't go 7-9 last year or 8-8.
I love Cal fans. See, we had a QB was lucky because he ended up with a *****ty franchise. But also we had another QB was lucky because he ended with a gold standard of a franchise.

"Imagine if Goff had ended up at a terrible franchise..." Um, he did. The Rams had ELEVEN straight losing seasons before he got there, including in that span a 3 win season, 2 2-win season, and a 1-win eason. You don;t have to imagine it. He did end up at a terrible franchise. And he's the one leading the turn around.

There's a famous phrase -- "sh*t happens."

Well, my favorite phrase is "sh*t doesn't just happen."

Sean McVay was 30 when he was hired. He was born the same year as Lindsay Lohan, the Olson Twins, Shia LaBeouf and Lady Gaga.

Justin Wilcox, who turned 41 today, is one of the youngest coaches in college football.

Yet Wilcox, born in 1976, is nearly a full decade older than McVay, who was born in 1986.

So what was the response to a season that looked like a disaster with a #1 draft pick who looked "kinda butt""?

They took a chance on such a young guy, the youngest guy. They could've gone the "John Fox" route and repeated the Jeff Fisher era by hiring an NFL coach with veteran experience and some success.

Instead, they took that chance and hired McVay.

They recognized what a "disaster" their franchise had become and shook things up.

Sh*tty franchises don't do that.

Sh*tty franchises maintain the status quo. They don't try something new. They don't take risks. They don't gamble.

They also traded a lot of expensive draft picks to move up and draft Goff, which conventional wisdom considered a terrible move that would hurt the franchise for years.

They also pursued (or allowed McVay to pursue) Wade Phillips to lead the defense. Wade Phillips, who despite his age, still has a chip on his shoulder. (Looking at the score of tonight's Patriots-Broncos game, I'm thinking Denver really misses him.)

The Rams, reacting to a disastrous year, doubled down on Goff. They invested in the o-line. They made that a top priority, unlike some franchises (see Andrew Luck).

They got Goff weapons via free agency, via trade and via the draft.

Goff went from having a QB coach who first became a QB coach for a team the year that Goff beat Texas in Austin to having a QB coach who first became a QB coach the year he was born.

Look at all the franchises who invest in a top QB and surround him with garbage.

As Goff himself has been saying in his postgame press conferences, it's not just him that's improved, it's everything. It's the players. It's the approach. It's the game-planning. It's the logistics of the whole organization.

And this season's success (so far) is due to the front office. Yes, the same front office that was absolutely sh*tty. The same front office who stood by Jeff Fisher for far too long.

That same front office deserves credit for recognizing a problem, and seriously trying to address those problems instead of playing it safe.

As I said, sh*t doesn't just happen.

Holy phvck you're stretching... I tell you what good franchises DON'T do.

They don't don't go more than a decade without a winning season.

They don't finish last in the division 6 times in that stretch

They don't have a three year strecth where they win 6 games.... in total!!

They don't have a 5 year stretch where four of those years are 3 wins, 2 wins, 2 wins, 1 win.

This all started with you saying it's lucky Goff didn't land at a terrible franchise. That is EXACTLY where he landed. The Rams aren't responding to a disasterous year, they're reacting to a disasterour DECADE.

That it's changing now is great... but you're hilarious in how you always try to frame these things (and OF COURSE Goff is going to say what you said he says).

I've completely lost the melody of your song here...
You know that NFL media marketing department is crushing it when they've convinced Cal fans to idolize a caveman.

TheFiatLux
sketchy9 said:

TheFiatLux said:

okaydo said:

Yes, if he had ended up at a terrible franchise, he might have been drafted with their #1 pick! Oh, wait...
LOL... I know right! Seriously, it cracks me up.
concordtom
Funny, here's a thread that started out as unfairly or inaccurately ripping a Stanford QB (3x pro-bowl can't be a bust) and morphed into a praise-for-Cal-QB thread.

This must be Bear Territory!
beeasyed
juarezbear said:

Luck was a transcendent college QB. The best of his generation. Great arm, tough, and most importantly, big and physically thick. Remember DeCoud bouncing off him like a B.B.? He, not RGIII (a legit bust) deserved the Heisman. However, durability is another hallmark of great QBs. Eli Manning, Matt Ryan, and Rogers have all shown durability. I actually think a major mistake was bringing in his Stanford OC to the Colts. Didn't things go downhill afterwards?
It was Cattouse, and it was also sh*tty tackling.

But no, Luck isn't a bust.
kjkbear
Leaf may be the biggest bust EVER. Given that, the thread title may be the biggest bust ever. But it's understandsble when Furd has lived in the top 10-15 for a decade and Cal doesn't get even votes for years at a time. I'm glad we have a coach who will win big game within five years.
GoldenBearofCalifornia
I would not say Luck is a bust, but I would also not say that all of this struggles are attributable to injuries or a bad team.

Luck needs to improve on his accuracy, his decision making and his interceptions. He too often makes inaccurate throws, tries to squeeze a ball in a tight window that he should not and throws interceptions. His injuries and bad team may play a part in those issues, but he is largely to blame for many of this poor throws, poor decisions and interceptions.
FloriDreaming
okaydo said:

Goff and the Rams fans. Yes, very lucky. We all got a look at what a good QB in a bad system looks like last season when Goff was turned into mulch game after game. What a difference.

Tony Fanklin had his fans and enemies here, but he did have an offensive system that allowed Goff to develop and showcase his talents. Timing has been very fortunate for Goff.
FloriDreaming
kjkbear said:

Leaf may be the biggest bust EVER. Given that, the thread title may be the biggest bust ever. But it's understandsble when Furd has lived in the top 10-15 for a decade and Cal doesn't get even votes for years at a time. I'm glad we have a coach who will win big game within five years.
Leaf is certainly the most spectacular NFL bust. His post-rock-bottom life now, though, is very interesting and inspiring. Football isn't everything and Leaf is making a big comeback in the game of life.
B.A. Bearacus

burritos
okaydo said:

Luck s 2-0 vs Rodgers by the way.
Kevin Riley is 1-0 vs Luck.
Calcoholic
going4roses said:

Luck has never really been accepted/respected by his fellow NFL co workers.
The way he congratulates guys who sack him and tells them "great job" seems forced... like someone once told him that that would be a good way to build your reputation as unflappable and tough, and so just does it. Hearing him mic'd up when he does that sounds like someone trying to do an imitation of a Farve-like school yard QB.
okaydo
burritos said:

okaydo said:

Luck s 2-0 vs Rodgers by the way.
Kevin Riley is 1-0 vs Luck.

Bobodeluxe
Isn't Rodgers that guy who graduated from Wisconsin?
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.