Justin Wilc"I don't really have an urge to share what I ate for lunch with everybody"

3,086 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by CAL4LIFE
okaydo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
okaydo
I hit the return button to early. Coach Wilcox has no plans to join Twitter.

https://theathletic.com/154162/2017/11/13/justin-wilcox-qa-cal-bears-coach-first-year-bowl-game/

GivemTheAxe
I am getting to like JW more and more.
MoragaBear
Staff
Disclosure: Only the first 3 paragraphs are viewable for those that aren't subscribers to The National.
71Bear
MoragaBear said:

Disclosure: Only the first 3 paragraphs are viewable for those that aren't subscribers to The National.
"The Athletic"...

It was a great Q and A. It just confirmed what many of us already know. Wilcox is definitely on the right track.
CAL4LIFE
71Bear said:

MoragaBear said:

"The Athletic"...

It was a great Q and A. It just confirmed what many of us already know. Wilcox is definitely on the right track.

Rob, I like Wilcox too but chuckle at the " the right track" commentary only because I have read it so many times before. Let's see the program get somewhere first like winning the BG and getting to that 6th W.
Another Bear
Wilcox is in good company, Tom Izzo dislikes social media as well but he's much more direct about it.

What I've seen from Wilcox says he has the program headed in the right direction.

going4roses
Wilcox is an interesting dude I'm not surprised
Tell someone you love them and try to have a good day
ColoradoBear
triplebear said:

Wilcox is in good company, Tom Izzo dislikes social media as well but he's much more direct about it.

I liked Wilcox's comment that he had twitter before when it helped communicate with recruits, but now that the NCAA changed the contact rules, he can just text them.
B.A. Bearacus
MoragaBear said:

Somewhat related:

bluehenbear
Awww, come on Justin...we really want to know: Top Dog, La Burrita, or Bongo Burger?
okaydo
bluehenbear said:

Awww, come on Justin...we really want to know: Top Dog, La Burrita, or Bongo Burger?

"La Burrita is the greatest Mexican food. Period. I've had Mexican food all over the country. And La Burrita is, hands down, the best. And anybody who thinks otherwise isn't a true Golden Bear. In fact, I would go as far to say that only Stanford fans hate La Burrita."
71Bear
CAL4LIFE said:

71Bear said:

MoragaBear said:

"The Athletic"...

Rob, I like Wilcox too but chuckle at the " the right track" commentary only because I have read it so many times before. Let's see the program get somewhere first like winning the BG and getting to that 6th W.
Yeah, I know. However, I feel the same way about JW as I did about JT (it is sad that JT lost his way. I am hopeful that JW won't fall into the same traps that ensnared JT). JT had a plan from the start: Hire quality assistants, establish a positive culture, recruit the P10/12 footprint with an emphasis on NorCal and play tough, physical football. While JW brings his own style to the job, his overall approach to the position is similar.

The biggest difference between them is the point from which they are starting. I think JT inherited more talent than JW and I don't think the competition within the conference was as good. Therefore, I don't expect JW to produce results as quickly as JT. However, in the long run, I think JW will exceed the results posted by JT because I think he has a much better handle on the emotional aspect of coaching. JT burned out because he could not find a comfortable balance between his off-field life and his coaching job. I think JW is more grounded.

We shall see. No matter what happens over the next couple weeks, I fully expect a winning regular season record next year, given the additional experience of the coaching staff and the easier even year schedule.

On a personal note: It is good to see you posting here again.
CAL4LIFE
71Bear said:

CAL4LIFE said:

71Bear said:

MoragaBear said:

"The Athletic"...

Yeah, I know. However, I feel the same way about JW as I did about JT (it is sad that JT lost his way. I am hopeful that JW won't fall into the same traps that ensnared JT). JT had a plan from the start: Hire quality assistants, establish a positive culture, recruit the P10/12 footprint with an emphasis on NorCal and play tough, physical football. While JW brings his own style to the job, his overall approach to the position is similar.

The biggest difference between them is the point from which they are starting. I think JT inherited more talent than JW and I don't think the competition within the conference was as good. Therefore, I don't expect JW to produce results as quickly as JT. However, in the long run, I think JW will exceed the results posted by JT because I think he has a much better handle on the emotional aspect of coaching. JT burned out because he could not find a comfortable balance between his off-field life and his coaching job. I think JW is more grounded.

We shall see. No matter what happens over the next couple weeks, I fully expect a winning regular season record next year, given the additional experience of the coaching staff and the easier even year schedule.

On a personal note: It is good to see you posting here again.

Fair enough on JW. He's single with no kids so his demands are different than JT's. I do agree he inherited less talent. But he has the facilities JT never had so i'm calling it a wash. The program has to recruit at a higher level. Need a signature win or two to attract bigger names. I love the Oline recruiting to date. Need a lot more jumbo athletes on defense. Team speed needs to improve exponentially. Not a fan of Baldwin yet - next year (if he's here) will be a better indicator of what he can do.

And thanks! It's good to be back.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.