Next year samo samo.....

6,108 Views | 41 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by 1CalFan
Blueblood
How long do you want to ignore this user?
unless Cal can get a QB.....grad transfer or ***** runner......
bross
?
Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/benrosssports
philly1121
I agree. nothing I saw today from the QB leads me to believe he will be any better. It's been 8 years and we keep saying the same thing over and over "we're 1-2 recruiting classes away from competing with the big boys". Uh - yeah, ok.
Blueblood
bross said:

?
??
NVBear78
Sorry but I was there and you guys are nuts.
KenBurnski
Please. You are a true insider. You took exception to the post. Why?
Blueblood
NVBear78 said:

Bowers ain't going to get Cal to any Rose Bowl or championship of any kind.
Oh yeah, Cal will need a RB next year too.
Blueblood
KenBurnski said:

Please. You are a true insider. You took exception to the post. Why?
What's true insider? A better fan?
72CalBear
BB. Your doc needs to up your meds during football season. You've been Negative Norman this season.
Eastern Oregon Bear
Blueblood said:

bross said:

?
??
!
chazzed
We're blessed that this poster was given another chance on BI. His posts are so big picture and profound.
UrsaMajor
Blueblood said:

We do need an upgrade at QB, although I'm not convinced that one of the redshirts won't be the answer. Don't know what you mean by runner--if you mean running back, we get Watson back (and hopefully Allen?).
pappysghost
We closed the gap quite a bit this year. I think Bowers is good enough for us to win at a high level provided we get a little better at stopping the run and get him a deep threat (Robertson?). Our running game has picked up too the last couple of weeks. I actually think Laird is better than Watson although we miss him.

Goobear
pappysghost said:

We closed the gap quite a bit this year. I think Bowers is good enough for us to win at a high level provided we get a little better at stopping the run and get him a deep threat (Robertson?). Our running game has picked up too the last couple of weeks. I actually think Laird is better than Watson although we miss him.

Agreed
Goobear
pappysghost said:

Agreed
bearsandgiants
We have a transfer, a freshman and possibly a better bowers next year. We will be fine.
chazzed
pappysghost said:

I actually think Laird is better than Watson although we miss him.

They're fairly similar, IMO, in that they are both decisive and avoid big hits while falling forward. However, Watson is better at slipping through small holes betwen the tackles because he's smaller and more shifty. My friend suggests that the two of them could make a good inside/outside combo.
ducky23
I'm sorry. I've had enough of this.

No one who watched the big game can say we "need" a running back without being a complete troll.
FloriDreaming
ducky23 said:

No one who watched the big game can say we "need" a running back without being a complete troll.

Most teams have more than one RB. Cal has one serviceable RB. That's not enough. Yes Cal absolutely needs more talent and depth at RB. And OL. And WR. And Cal needs a much better QB. Offense is terrible.
FloriDreaming
philly1121 said:

I agree. nothing I saw today from the QB leads me to believe he will be any better. It's been 8 years and we keep saying the same thing over and over "we're 1-2 recruiting classes away from competing with the big boys". Uh - yeah, ok.

Agree. "Wait till next year" is the slogan of mediocrity.
bross
Uthaithani said:

ducky23 said:

Most teams have more than one RB. Cal has one serviceable RB. That's not enough. Yes Cal absolutely needs more talent and depth at RB. And OL. And WR. And Cal needs a much better QB. Offense is terrible.
I don't know if you've been paying attention, but Cal's top wide receiver, running back, and tight end are all out with injuries.
bross
Uthaithani said:

philly1121 said:

It's Justin Wilcox's first year, with massive injuries and limited talent/depth left from the previous coaching staff. Not sure what you were expecting in year one.
bross
Blueblood said:

NVBear78 said:

Bowers ain't going to get Cal to any Rose Bowl or championship of any kind.
Oh yeah, Cal will need a RB next year too.
Watson and Laird are both likely to be back. Echols will have a year under his belt too.
Sebastabear
I have a hard time ever believing in a "good loss" but if there were one last nights game would be it. Bears played smart disciplined football for 59 minutes. There were essentially two very bad plays for us (one offense and one defense) and a handful of not so great ones on both sides. That was the difference. You can't watch that game and think there aren't brighter days ahead. The positive trajectory is obvious.
Bear19
The last 6-7 years before this one have clearly beaten down many on this discussion board; I think they've lost objectivity though.

Wilcox et al has Cal performing at a higher level than just about anyone thought possible before the season, and is doing so with the handicap of 11 key player season ending injuries.

These injuries have resulted in players who normally wouldn't get a lot of PT getting in-game experience. The injured players who return this Spring & Summer will compete for their starting slots - the net result will be the increased depth needed. This means more substituting during the first half of the season, which will decrease injuries next year. Players will be better rested during the games, which means better execution during the entire game at each position.

A good example is Patrick Laird - he has become a good RB as injuries have necessitated him playing much more than he would have.

In college, a year of growth physically matched with experience can result in a more effective player. Bowers will be competing straight up for his starter status. Don't forget that he was denied any PT before this year. The QB play next year will be improved since either Bowers will win out against all challengers or a really good QB will win the job over him.

Our "instant results" society often fosters unrealistic expectations. If this was Wilcox's fifth year "to wait until next year" impatience might be justified. We all should have known that it would take 2-3 years for this coaching staff to get enough of their own players and fix/train the players they inherited. All the signs this year are clear that Cal is headed in the right direction.
heartofthebear
UrsaMajor said:

Blueblood said:

We do need an upgrade at QB, although I'm not convinced that one of the redshirts won't be the answer. Don't know what you mean by runner--if you mean running back, we get Watson back (and hopefully Allen?).
We will also have Laird again and Clark is a decent replacement for Enwere.
Behind them Echols, Biggio-Walsh and McCary should provide some change of pace.
But, yeah, if we can get the next Lynch or Best, why not do it?
philly1121
bross said:

Uthaithani said:

philly1121 said:

It's Justin Wilcox's first year, with massive injuries and limited talent/depth left from the previous coaching staff. Not sure what you were expecting in year one.

At this point I don't expect anything else except an answer like yours. It's been 8 years since we've beaten Stanford. It's been 13 since we beat USC. We are 2-9 against UW. We've lost 4 in a row to Arizona. Again, I don't really expect much except excuses.

Maybe we will be better next year. I hope so.
Blueblood
chazzed said:

We're blessed that this poster was given another chance on BI. His posts are so big picture and profound.
thank you.....
kelly09
Bowers, with a year's experience will be way more than adequate. Just having back our injured returnees will make us a good team. Incoming freshmen, jc transfers etc. could make us a real Pac12 contender. Bowers made one bad play Saturday. Did anyone ever see Pawlawski? He made a lot of bad plays. But he led his team to a great bowl win. BTW, 1991 had Cal had great wrs but none had great deep speed.
Blueblood
72CalBear said:

BB. Your doc needs to up your meds during football season. You've been Negative Norman this season.
Upping my meds just doesn't do it anymore.

I mean, I just don't see too much to have me change my name from Norman Blueblood.
C'mon, Cal beat UNC which has shown they lost too much from the season before and besides they were awaiting the NCAA hammer. Had they not, the tarheels would have mopped the floor with the Bears. The Weber State victory was too close to get too excited about it.

Ole Miss, hell they were under NCAA investigation and recently lost their head coach.

I can't explain the Wazzu win? Cal did play the perfect defense scheme. The Cougs had no running game and their QB has been playing very sporadic. I mean, Bowers stats were better or as good as Falk's. I chalked this
game up to a freak game, not one representative of future trend of play.

Then there's OSU. They too had just lost their head coach.

And, now, Cal is going to play ucla who also just lost their head coach.

The above, to me, doesn't represent any suggestion that Cal football is on the rise. Cal was able to just take advantage of the circumstances albeit their new coaching staff which I don't see hanging around too long
whether they prove successful or busts.
bross
Blueblood said:

72CalBear said:

I mean, I just don't see too much to have me change my name from Norman Blueblood.
C'mon, Cal beat UNC which has shown they lost too much from the season before and besides they were awaiting the NCAA hammer. Had they not, the tarheels would have mopped the floor with the Bears. The Weber State victory was too close to get too excited about it.

Ole Miss, hell they were under NCAA investigation and recently lost their head coach.

I can't explain the Wazzu win? Cal did play the perfect defense scheme. The Cougs had no running game and their QB has been playing very sporadic. I mean, Bowers stats were better or as good as Falk's. I chalked this

The above, to me, doesn't represent any suggestion that Cal football is on the rise. Cal was able to just take advantage of the circumstances albeit their new coaching staff which I don't see hanging around too long
LOL
Blueblood
bross said:

Blueblood said:

72CalBear said:

I can't explain the Wazzu win? Cal did play the perfect defense scheme. The Cougs had no running game and their QB has been playing very sporadic. I mean, Bowers stats were better or as good as Falk's. I chalked this game up to a freak game, not one representative of future trend of play.

And, now, Cal is going to play ucla who also just lost their head coach under the most turbulent
of circumstances.

The above, to me, doesn't represent any suggestion that Cal football is on the rise. Instead, Cal was just able to take advantage of the circumstances, albeit via their new coaching staff which I don't see hanging around too long whether they prove successful or busts. If they're that good, there are too many high rollers out there that will offer more $$$$$.
LOL
ahahahahaaaa uh what are we laughing about?
heartofthebear
bross said:

Uthaithani said:

philly1121 said:

I wouldn't say we've had massive injuries.
We've had too many key injuries.
But most of those didn't seriously impact Cal.
It was when Downs went down that things really went south.
I don't know how much Hudson would have improved our offense or how much Rambo would have impacted our secondary, but Laird and Noa effectively played next man up to the losses at those positions. The loss of Robertson as a deep threat was not a factor because Bowers could not throw that far anyway and Robertson's productivity was down as a result.

Massive injuries applies to only 2 conference teams, USC and OSU.
JimSox
Uthaithani said:

philly1121 said:

5-7 or 6-6 are mediocre by definition. What matters is improvement and exceeding expectations. Losing by three as a 14-point dog is clearly the latter. As is the whole season. Will next year be better, worse or the same? Don't know. But it seems a bit premature to write the whole program off.
calbear93
bross said:

Blueblood said:

72CalBear said:

LOL
Bross, completely agree with your sentiment. The original post is what happens if one's only exposure to Cal football is this forum. Can't imagine that was written by someone who actually has been watching the last few seasons.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.