I hate Stanford...Stadium

3,922 Views | 19 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by LunchTime
JSC 76
How long do you want to ignore this user?
If you hate piped-in music then Stanford Stadium is the 7th Circle of Hell. They had piped-in music (or noise of some sort) between snaps. There was freakin' noise coming out of the PA CONSTANTLY. Jeezus TapDancing Christ.

Weird acoustics. I was in section 237 -- upper deck, opposite end of the stadium from the Cal Band. I could see them playing but I never heard a note. Never heard a Cal cheer. Bizarre.

Golden One
JSC 76 said:

If you hate piped-in music then Stanford Stadium is the 7th Circle of Hell. They had piped-in music (or noise of some sort) between snaps. There was freakin' noise coming out of the PA CONSTANTLY. Jeezus TapDancing Christ.

Weird acoustics. I was in section 237 -- upper deck, opposite end of the stadium from the Cal Band. I could see them playing but I never heard a note. Never heard a Cal cheer. Bizarre.

Agree, and that damn PA announcer was extremely irritating. I would have enjoyed the game much more if the PA system had been inoperable.
CalGB94
JSC 76 said:

If you hate piped-in music then Stanford Stadium is the 7th Circle of Hell. They had piped-in music (or noise of some sort) between snaps.

It was annoying, but if the alternative was hearing their crap band play, I'm good with the piped in stuff.
Big C
CalGB94 said:

JSC 76 said:

If you hate piped-in music then Stanford Stadium is the 7th Circle of Hell. They had piped-in music (or noise of some sort) between snaps.

It was annoying, but if the alternative was hearing their crap band play, I'm good with the piped in stuff.
Hey, "their crap band" is on the cutting edge of innovation: They now have their own "crap band members" announce their show, from the field, with their script printed on the scoreboard (for the hearing-impaired, no doubt). Meanwhile the actual "crap band" even plays a bit -- after the announcements -- and occasionally even moves!

They are so amazing!
acalfan
Section 230 was horrible.

The speakers were _way_ too loud. They averaged 90-95 dB, and the sound was distorting due to how loud the volume was. We complained but were told that people have been complaining all year. With the piped in music, annoying announcer, and constant noise, I had my hands over my ears a third of the game. I will need to remember to bring earplugs next time.

I didn't remember the acoustics of the stadium to be that bad. You can hardly hear the band on the field, and I didn't hear a single axe cheer from either side (unless they don't do that any more).

I think if I was a Stanford fan, I would cancel my season tickets simply due to the noise.

MoragaBear
Staff
And people complain bitterly about the scant outside music played at Memorial.

As I've said many times, the amount and volume of canned music, inane PA announcers and loud ads makes any non-band distractions at Cal seem like child's play in comparison to everywhere else. Literally everywhere Cal plays.
JSC 76
Big C said:

CalGB94 said:

JSC 76 said:

Hey, "their crap band" is on the cutting edge of innovation: They now have their own "crap band members" announce their show, from the field, with their script printed on the scoreboard (for the hearing-impaired, no doubt). Meanwhile the actual "crap band" even plays a bit -- after the announcements -- and occasionally even moves!

They are so amazing!
No, they're "truly incomparable".

JSC 76
CalGB94 said:

JSC 76 said:

Oh, I got both. I could hear the "band" (when they were allowed to play, between PA inanity) perfectly well.
Sonofoski
I agree, there is less piped in music at CAL. But, I predict that will soon end.

Because CAL is a follower and not a leader, CAL will soon have as much piped in music as any of our opponents. It's just begun, with piped in music when the opponent is faced with a third down.
TheFiatLux
Sonofoski said:

I agree, there is less piped in music at CAL. But, I predict that will soon end.

Because CAL is a follower and not a leader, CAL will soon have as much piped in music as any of our opponents. It's just begun, with piped in music when the opponent is faced with a third down.
Actually as much as i like to rag on cal marketing, we've tremendously scaled back that stuff. Here's the thing, when people actually listen to their customers, and their customers still complain, they're less likely to listen to them in the future.

One thing that is very impressived abou Stanford Stadium is there is NO field level advertising. That is a sort of breath of fresh air. I heard that was part of John Arrillaga's deal to pay for it.
cctop
TheFiatLux said:

One thing that is very impressived abou Stanford Stadium is there is NO field level advertising. That is a sort of breath of fresh air. I heard that was part of John Arrillaga's deal to pay for it.

No permanent ads at all in the stadium, actually -- just electronic ads on the scoreboard and ribbon boards.

And Stanford fans have the same complaint about the amount and volume of piped-in music, not to mention the on-field announcer during the breaks. See this thread.

Unfortunately it's the way pro events have gone nowadays, and now it's filtering down to college.
bearsahead2
Our seats were in section 126, 7 or so rows above the band and to their right looking toward the field. In my opinion the band played much more than they're allowed to play at Berkeley or so it seemed. The piped in music seemed to bother me far less than at home. Terrible seats, not high enough to gain any perspective of field position when ball was at the opposite end of stadium - had much better seats two years ago. I noticed that the student section was moved to the upper deck which I consider superior to where my seats were located. I suppose this was to avoid rushing the field in the event Cal had won. In any event as a holder of 6 ESP seats, I expected somewhat better seating than we were afforded. Now on to Pasadena for next week's game which is meaningful for both teams and UCLA hasn't lost a home game this season and we haven't won a road game for two - time for that to change!
philbert
The new Furd stadium's PA system has sucked at every Big Game I've been unfortunate enough to sit up in the upper bowl. My hearing has probably been damaged from sitting there with the speakers blasting inane crap.
Sonofoski
cctop,

You might think about sending that thread comment to our athletic director.

However, he seems to be tone deaf.
Larno
Stanford's stadium was completed in between seasons with no wacky tree sitters and truculent neighbors and no debt. We should be so lucky. When I walk through their campus I see all these nice buildings and facilities funded by rich alums. Cal gets table scraps from the state and struggles to pay off the massive stadium debt. That's the way it is.
OneKeg
Larno said:

Stanford's stadium was completed in between seasons with no wacky tree sitters and truculent neighbors and no debt. We should be so lucky. When I walk through their campus I see all these nice buildings and facilities funded by rich alums. Cal gets table scraps from the state and struggles to pay off the massive stadium debt. That's the way it is.

While I agree with part of your post, I only envy the financial situation. I'd still take the Cal campus (and stadium) any day. Not close.
TheFiatLux
Larno said:

You should walk through Cal campus sometimes, and you'll see lots of new beautiful buildings funded by rich alumns... and you'll get views like this from, say, Chou Hall at Haas (ignore the Barrows part of the view)...

https://instagr.am/p/BZAEmxgBHHD

or this of Blum Hall

https://instagr.am/p/BaVcevsBsVt

MoragaBear
Staff
Beauty of campus and views? No contest. CAL > stanford
Golden One
MoragaBear said:

Beauty of campus and views? No contest. CAL > stanford
+1
Larno
Wow, I did not say that the Stanford campus was beautiful, especially in comparison to Cal. It was more a comment on the financial situation. It grieves me to see the situation that the Cal athletic department finds itself in. I suppose if anything it is envy that Stanford has the means to construct all those nice facilities. And, just as importantly, they have the space to do so. The campus is huge. Cal, basically, has no space. But, I will take Cal any day. I've been going to games for over 50 years, graduated from Cal, and would bleed blue blood if that was possible.
LunchTime
TheFiatLux said:

Sonofoski said:

Actually as much as i like to rag on cal marketing, we've tremendously scaled back that stuff. Here's the thing, when people actually listen to their customers, and their customers still complain, they're less likely to listen to them in the future.

Agreed. Cal has done much better this year over past years.

The constant *****ing about it not being *perfect* is what makes them think "there is no pleasing these people, why dont we just make as much money and noise as possible?"

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.