Bruins amped for win and bowl game!?

5,424 Views | 23 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by BerlinerBaer
72CalBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
http://www.presstelegram.com/2017/11/20/jedd-fisch-takes-over-as-ucla-pushes-for-bowl-game/

I can't help but think there will be a "down side" to "winning it for Mora!" I get the undefeated at home and "win it for the seniors" mantra, but I am not so sure Mora was loved and respected by many Bruins. I also see limited attendance due to Thanksgiving break, and do Bruin fans want a Cactus Bowl? Of course I also fear that our Bear attendance will be light due to kickoff time, terrible parking around the Rose Bowl, and the ease for making at home turkey sandwiches. Go Bears!
packawana
Mora is well-liked by the players. David Woods from Bruin Report Online said he had a reputation as a player's coach.
FloriDreaming
I would expect that the Bruins will be less enthusiastic about this game than Cal, who by all accounts are fired up to get to a bowl. UCLA had much higher expectations than 6 wins coming in and having your coach fired is deflating.

But those emotions go out the window pretty quick once the game starts. Could make a difference if the Bruins are unfocused this week in practice in terms of preparation. Still think UCLA is a heavy favorite to win, but I'm usually wrong on these things.
Blueblood
Uthaithani said:

I would expect that the Bruins will be less enthusiastic about this game than Cal, who by all accounts are fired up to get to a bowl. UCLA had much higher expectations than 6 wins coming in and having your coach fired is deflating.

But those emotions go out the window pretty quick once the game starts. Could make a difference if the Bruins are unfocused this week in practice in terms of preparation. Still think UCLA is a heavy favorite to win, but I'm usually wrong on these things.
I have it on good authority that the bruins will be up for Cal. They see losing to Cal as the absolute worst
of a season. The game does promise to be a good one, i.e., good old college competition as it should be.
Beside, I may have a turkey sandwich with 72CalBear....you never know he might invite me to his house!
KenBurnski
Pro tip on the leftover thanksgiving food sandwich. Put a thin layer of cream cheese on the bread along with your cranberry/stuffing/gravy condiments. Use butter lettuce.
Blueblood
KenBurnski said:

Pro tip on the leftover thanksgiving food sandwich. Put a thin layer of cream cheese on the bread along with your cranberry/stuffing/gravy condiments. Use butter lettuce.
Yes, you are a pro. I hope 72GoldenBear heeds your well-meaning advice because it will be one of his sandwiches that I hope to eat!
82gradDLSdad
KenBurnski said:

Butter, cream and salt make a belt palatable.
KenBurnski
I only consume belts that are massaged by Japanese farmers and fed a beer diet.
BigDaddy
Interesting angle to be playing them right after the SC game. They could have beaten SC so I would expect a bit of a letdown. Also all the drama surrounding the program with Mora being fired. Does that motivate them or have guys checked out? I suspect Cal wants the bowl game more.

Despite their 5-6 record, UCLA has yet to lose at home this season. See you there.
72CalBear
Today the LA press is noting some recruitment drama, as expected, from some Bruin commits. They have had several de-commits before Mora was fired, and some more are doing the typical fence sitting. With early signing starting in a month, Ucla may have to commit to a coach soon. This could also affect the current players - What happens to their position coaches and assistants with a new HC? Rosen has stated that he respected and liked Mora a lot and that may in fact be enough for him to pass for a zillion yards to get to a bowl game. But like a certain Stanford running back we knew so well, will he actually forego play in the Toilet Bowl to stay healthy for the NFL??
cubzwin
UCLA is a big favorite for 2 reasons:
1) They are playing at home
2) Rosen is a great quarterback

Cal may be more amped for the game but 1 and 2 will be very hard to overcome.
Big C
72CalBear said:

Today the LA press is noting some recruitment drama, as expected, from some Bruin commits. They have had several de-commits before Mora was fired, and some more are doing the typical fence sitting. With early signing starting in a month, Ucla may have to commit to a coach soon. This could also affect the current players - What happens to their position coaches and assistants with a new HC? Rosen has stated that he respected and liked Mora a lot and that may in fact be enough for him to pass for a zillion yards to get to a bowl game. But like a certain Stanford running back we knew so well, will he actually forego play in the Toilet Bowl to stay healthy for the NFL??
We know from experience that rarely are more than 1-2 Assistant Coaches retained when there is a new Head Coach. The new guy wants to bring in his own people. Possible exception: When the HC is promoted from within.

As UCLA has, historically been our #1 recruiting rival, this is a great chance to skim off a few of their commits.
6956bear
Big C said:

72CalBear said:

We know from experience that rarely are more than 1-2 Assistant Coaches retained when there is a new Head Coach. The new guy wants to bring in his own people. Possible exception: When the HC is promoted from within.

As UCLA has, historically been our #1 recruiting rival, this is a great chance to skim off a few of their commits.
A big concern for Cal will be how many staff members are still on Cals staff by December signing date. Baldwin could be at OSU (Edwards likely to go with him). Azzinaro is very likely to join Chip wherever he ends up (my guess is Chip will be at UCLA). And Greatwood has coached with Chip in the past as well. Cal already needs a 10th assistant and may be on the hunt for several others by Dec 1.
KoreAmBear
Big C said:

72CalBear said:

Can we poach some UCLA recruits? Turnabout is fair play after all the poaching they have done on us. Who are some that we can target (where we were previously in the mix or where they could be a good fit)?

Go for the jugular -- this is a nice recruiting opportunity.
southseasbear
6956bear said:

Big C said:

72CalBear said:

A big concern for Cal will be how many staff members are still on Cals staff by December signing date. Baldwin could be at OSU (Edwards likely to go with him). Azzinaro is very likely to join Chip wherever he ends up (my guess is Chip will be at UCLA). And Greatwood has coached with Chip in the past as well. Cal already needs a 10th assistant and may be on the hunt for several others by Dec 1.
So, that leads to the inevitable (on this Board) question: If Azzinaro leaves, what would we think about the possibility of hiring Tosh Lupoi to replace him?
Boot
cubzwin said:

Unfortunately I have a really bad feeling were going to get waxed.
upsetof86
southseasbear said:

6956bear said:

Big C said:

72CalBear said:

So, that leads to the inevitable (on this Board) question: If Azzinaro leaves, what would we think about the possibility of hiring Tosh Lupoi to replace him?

Its troll bait to respond to this idea I know. But a part if me wants us to offer him so we can have hard evidence that plays out this facination with. He either delivers as fantasized or he does less than that or worse. Either way the spell is forever broken. A no lose situation given we would be facing substantial restaffing anyway if we lose Azz, Greatwood, Baldwin Edwards, Alexander.

Second, do you think he woukd accept DL and not want TDs job as DC? Woukd TD or JW want TL?

To be clear I am a never-Lupoi guy. BUT in an armageddonish sich like the ones being suggested theres a rare opportunity to slay this dragon issue.
BigDaddy
Boot said:

cubzwin said:

Not so sure about that. Yes, despite a poor season UCLA remains undefeated at home, and Rosen is definitely a pro.

However, I think the drama around the Mora firing and the hangover from a tough loss at USC means we don't have any idea what UCLA is going to show up. I expect a close game, and definitely think playing for a bowl game in Wilcox' first season will motivate the Bears.
cubzwin
Lupoi makes one million, I think, as an assistant at University of Alabama so I think he is totally out of Cal's price range
southseasbear
upsetof86 said:

southseasbear said:

6956bear said:

Big C said:

72CalBear said:

Its troll bait to respond to this idea I know. But a part if me wants us to offer him so we can have hard evidence that plays out this facination with. He either delivers as fantasized or he does less than that or worse. Either way the spell is forever broken. A no lose situation given we would be facing substantial restaffing anyway if we lose Azz, Greatwood, Baldwin Edwards, Alexander.

Second, do you think he woukd accept DL and not want TDs job as DC? Woukd TD or JW want TL?

To be clear I am a never-Lupoi guy. BUT in an armageddonish sich like the ones being suggested theres a rare opportunity to slay this dragon issue.

I have been a never-Lupoi guy since he left. With the passage of time (now that we're on our second coach after Tedford) I'm beginning to waver on this issue. Never thought that would happen.
BigDaddy
From today's Los Angeles Times...

In the last 50 years, the Bruins have played nine regular-season games after what typically has been a finale against the Trojans. They have gone 2-7. UCLA also played in the Pac-12 Conference championship game shortly after facing USC in 2011 and 2012, losing both times.

The emotional hurdle of playing another game so quickly after facing their archrival has been difficult to clear for the Bruins.

"I don't know why a UCLA athletic director ever schedules a game after a USC game," former UCLA quarterback Gary Beban, the school's only Heisman Trophy winner, recently told The Times. "I'm not sure we ever won."

Beban's Bruins lost to Syracuse, 32-14, in 1967 amid the emotional fallout of a 21-20 defeat against the Trojans that cost UCLA a chance at the national championship.

"I appreciate all the talent that plays at UCLA and all the talent that I played with," Beban said, "but you use up a lot of energy and mental psychology [against USC] and it's hard to come back the next week."
72CalBear
Big C said:

72CalBear said:

Ok, so if it's Chip Jelly, what happens to the Bruin offense? Does it need upgrading to a fast paced, open Duck-like personnel? Sounds a little like when Dykes came to Cal and all of a sudden we needed tons of WRs, no tight ends and fullbacks. Is there a Bruin exodus of players in addition to assistants and position coaches? I would love to see an announcement BEFORE our game, but probably not.
82gradDLSdad
BigDaddy said:

In the last 50 years, the Bruins have played nine regular-season games after what typically has been a finale against the Trojans. They have gone 2-7. UCLA also played in the Pac-12 Conference championship game shortly after facing USC in 2011 and 2012, losing both times.

The emotional hurdle of playing another game so quickly after facing their archrival has been difficult to clear for the Bruins.

"I don't know why a UCLA athletic director ever schedules a game after a USC game," former UCLA quarterback Gary Beban, the school's only Heisman Trophy winner, recently told The Times. "I'm not sure we ever won."

Beban's Bruins lost to Syracuse, 32-14, in 1967 amid the emotional fallout of a 21-20 defeat against the Trojans that cost UCLA a chance at the national championship.

"I appreciate all the talent that plays at UCLA and all the talent that I played with," Beban said, "but you use up a lot of energy and mental psychology [against USC] and it's hard to come back the next week."

And this about sums up the UCLA football attitude and why they can recruit so well and be so average. Pathetic
Cave Bear
82gradDLSdad said:

BigDaddy said:

And this about sums up the UCLA football attitude and why they can recruit so well and be so average. Pathetic
Agreed. As though we weren't going to suffer from the same condition tomorrow?
BerlinerBaer
BigDaddy said:

Boot said:

cubzwin said:

Not so sure about that. Yes, despite a poor season UCLA remains undefeated at home, and Rosen is definitely a pro.

However, I think the drama around the Mora firing and the hangover from a tough loss at USC means we don't have any idea what UCLA is going to show up. I expect a close game, and definitely think playing for a bowl game in Wilcox' first season will motivate the Bears.
The only road game where Cal has shown a pulse this season was against a team that's last in their conference (game at the cross-town rival doesn't count).

We destroy teams in turmoil, at home. On the road, think Arizona in 2002 or UCLA in 2011.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.