Christ Blasts Pac Conference (Winner update)

5,902 Views | 25 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by concordtom
wifeisafurd
How long do you want to ignore this user?
http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/12/14/chancellor-carol-christ-talks-cal-athletics-budget-plans-stadium-debt-the-ad-search-and-finding-a-sustainable-model/

Thanks for SoCal posting on the other board. IMO, Christ really has a bead on the frustrations of the fan base, and her transparency is refreshing.
tequila4kapp
100% agree.
socaliganbear
Minor correction, this is the correct link in which she calls out the network and the conference:
http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/12/14/cal-chancellor-carol-christ-expresses-three-sets-of-concerns-about-the-pac-12s-direction-criticizes-the-conference-office-itself/

It was part of the same conversation she had with Wilner, which was broken down into two parts.

Two key points made imo:

1) "Their revenue model is based on two things: cable TV and football," Christ said.. . ."If I was looking just a decade in the future, the landscape will be very different in relation to both of those." This is a person who is being pragmatic about where the industry is heading.

2) "She then expressed dismay over the extent to which control of sporting life on the campuses has been handed over to the conference's television partners. . . . "I know that sounds trivial,'' she said, "but part of the value of football to the institution is community building, and it makes it very hard to realize that value with the constant jerking around of game times." This is a person who understands the big picture ramifications of the price we paid. i.e. it's much bigger than butts in seats.
BeachedBear
Also interesting is this related article about the audiences for Olympic sports and the investment and impact of this aspect of the Pac12 Network business model.

small audiences
CannonBlast
man... I don't know where she goes from here, but the way she articulates the issues facing Cal and the conference is refreshing. It's as if she reads BearInsider on a regular basis.

You half expect her to start talking about piped in music. LOL
FloriDreaming
wifeisafurd said:

http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/12/14/chancellor-carol-christ-talks-cal-athletics-budget-plans-stadium-debt-the-ad-search-and-finding-a-sustainable-model/

Thanks for SoCal posting on the other board. IMO, Christ really has a bead on the frustrations of the fan base, and her transparency is refreshing.
Agree. She seems (and I have no reason to doubt her sincerity) to be aligned with Cal fans. Probably because she is one. Which is something the University badly needs in a Chancellor. It'll make a world of difference in the long run - a Chancellor who is a fan will make sure Cal wins.
UrsaMajor
Carol is a pragmatist in the extreme. Yes, she is a fan, but more importantly, she recognizes that 1) a successful athletic program is a major net positive for the campus, and 2) if it isn't a benefit, there is no reason to have it. Thus, she is clearly committed to ensuring that we have a successful athletic program, however that is defined (i.e., highly successful football/MBB and fewer non-revenue sports, or success spread across more teams).
socaliganbear
Another thing to note, she is our PR machine right now. And she's doing a good job. If cuts do happen next summer, she's laid the foundation for it to play out like a thoughtful restructuring, rather than a last ditch reactionary stunt.

Again, Berkeley's Chancellor sat down for an in depth interview with a local sports reporter and actually sounded knowledgeable. What?
Rushinbear
wifeisafurd said:

When Christ's interview includes the statement about Cal having a long tradition with Olympic sports, it implies a certain predisposition. If she's promoting a big picture overhaul, she's got to let go of that as a precondition. And, she's got to instruct any consulting entity to do the same.

When I read about consultants of this sort, I think of the packaged processing that these people are known for and, sometimes, the packaged outcomes. It's almost axiomatic that the crafting of the process determines the outcome.

Another element of it: she says that revenue will be the driving criterion. Why not consider costs and cost/benefit simultaneously? Seems to me we need a wholistic, systemic approach. Oh, and we should build up our own model, not start favoring a Stanford or Yale model.

I'm not predicting how this will come out, but we've nibbled around the edges for years and gotten nowhere. Time to shed all the perceived limitations and look at the whole thing.
wifeisafurd
Rushinbear said:

wifeisafurd said:

When Christ's interview includes the statement about Cal having a long tradition with Olympic sports, it implies a certain predisposition. If she's promoting a big picture overhaul, she's got to let go of that as a precondition. And, she's got to instruct any consulting entity to do the same.

When I read about consultants of this sort, I think of the packaged processing that these people are known for and, sometimes, the packaged outcomes. It's almost axiomatic that the crafting of the process determines the outcome.

Another element of it: she says that revenue will be the driving criterion. Why not consider costs and cost/benefit simultaneously? Seems to me we need a wholistic, systemic approach. Oh, and we should build up our own model, not start favoring a Stanford or Yale model.

I'm not predicting how this will come out, but we've nibbled around the edges for years and gotten nowhere. Time to shed all the perceived limitations and look at the whole thing.
FWIW, in my conversation with her, I pushed that she really needs solutions that work for Cal. We are not Stanford, a SEC school, or an Ivy. And it should not be lost on anyone what SoCal said, which is we have a Chancellor that sat down with a sportswriter and discussed the "big issues" in sports with knowledge. It is as if our new AD is Carol Christ.
71Bear
wifeisafurd said:

Rushinbear said:

wifeisafurd said:

FWIW, in my conversation with her, I pushed that she really needs solutions that work for Cal. We are not Stanford, a SEC school, or an Ivy. And it should not be lost on anyone what SoCal said, which is we have a Chancellor that sat down with a sportswriter and discussed the "big issues" in sports with knowledge. It is as if our new AD is Carol Christ.
I agree that it was refreshing to read her comment about Cal being unlike other institutions and that solutions tailored to Cal are required to be successful.

As I always say, Berkeley is not for everyone. IMO, that is the most positive element of receiving an education there. Question Authority!
Oski87
I do think that Cal is behind the 8 ball in relation to revenues. Other, lesser schools have significantly more revenue generation than we do. So it is not just an expense issue - we do less with what we have than others. For example we would not be in this jam if we had an additional 20 million, which would put us in the top 40 or so of institutions for athletic department revenue. We should be in the top 40. We have very high ticket prices, and we are in a market with a lot of people to sell to.

What are we doing to capitalize on the raiders leaving and the 49ers sucking? What are we doing to capitalize on having close relationship with the warriors? When have we had out warriors night? What did we do when the warriors played the celtics? Did we raise awareness of our players in the NBA? We crapped out on the Jason Kidd going to the Hall of Fame. Where were the press releases, etc?

It is just so much lacking in marketing acumen. I mean, does the Pac 12 network advertise? Why is no one following Olymopic sports? Is it because no one knows that is going on? When has anyone seen an ad for the Crew championship or the Water Polo championship? What is the plan to educate the consumer on any of these games and to build an audience, as opposed to just hoping one shows up?

There are other things athletics could do (like Parking, which Washington Athletics uses to prop up their department). For example, Build parking structures around Berkeley and Oakland with fields on top for the community, and charge for parking to support the athletic department, but let the local leagues play for free, and give them discount tickets to games. Create a feeder system of fans.

It is frustrating that no one seems to use any sort of creativity in terms of what is best for the long range plans of athletics. They spent half a billion dollars and then just sat around being stupid about how to pay for it.
BEAR2dBONE
Exhilaratingly refreshing: getting the feeling that at long last, Cal / we have a strong leader at the top of what I was beginning to believe was a crumbling empire. A new day at Cal ? Really, really hope so.
:gobears
Calcoholic
socaliganbear said:

"I know that sounds trivial,'' she said, "but part of the value of football to the institution is community building, and it makes it very hard to realize that value with the constant jerking around of game times."
In one sentence, that captures the root of the problem better than anything I've heard or read yet.
71Bear
Oski87 said:

I do think that Cal is behind the 8 ball in relation to revenues. Other, lesser schools have significantly more revenue generation than we do. So it is not just an expense issue - we do less with what we have than others. For example we would not be in this jam if we had an additional 20 million, which would put us in the top 40 or so of institutions for athletic department revenue. We should be in the top 40. We have very high ticket prices, and we are in a market with a lot of people to sell to.

What are we doing to capitalize on the raiders leaving and the 49ers sucking? What are we doing to capitalize on having close relationship with the warriors? When have we had out warriors night? What did we do when the warriors played the celtics? Did we raise awareness of our players in the NBA? We crapped out on the Jason Kidd going to the Hall of Fame. Where were the press releases, etc?

It is just so much lacking in marketing acumen. I mean, does the Pac 12 network advertise? Why is no one following Olymopic sports? Is it because no one knows that is going on? When has anyone seen an ad for the Crew championship or the Water Polo championship? What is the plan to educate the consumer on any of these games and to build an audience, as opposed to just hoping one shows up?

There are other things athletics could do (like Parking, which Washington Athletics uses to prop up their department). For example, Build parking structures around Berkeley and Oakland with fields on top for the community, and charge for parking to support the athletic department, but let the local leagues play for free, and give them discount tickets to games. Create a feeder system of fans.

It is frustrating that no one seems to use any sort of creativity in terms of what is best for the long range plans of athletics. They spent half a billion dollars and then just sat around being stupid about how to pay for it.
In the Bay Area, in terms of attending games, college football fans and pro football fans are 90% mutually exclusive. Whether the Raiders leave or the Niners scuffle has no bearing on Cal attendance.

Once the Bears decided to put all their chips of "winning is the sole reason you should attend games" versus their traditional "the game day experience is the reason you should attend games", they put themselves in a position of win or else. IMO, that was a huge mistake. I blame Barbour - it was her idea. Of course, it is never too late to revert back to a more traditional atmosphere at Memorial but that is a decision the new AD will have to make.....
calumnus
71Bear said:

Oski87 said:

In the Bay Area, in terms of attending games, college football fans and pro football fans are 90% mutually exclusive. Whether the Raiders leave or the Niners scuffle has no bearing on Cal attendance.

Once the Bears decided to put all their chips of "winning is the sole reason you should attend games" versus their traditional "the game day experience is the reason you should attend games", they put themselves in a position of win or else. IMO, that was a huge mistake. I blame Barbour - it was her idea. Of course, it is never too late to revert back to a more traditional atmosphere at Memorial but that is a decision the new AD will have to make.....

That is the way it has been over the last few decades, but it was different before and can be different in the future. When the NFL left L.A., USC eventually became the team of choice in L. A, even for those with no connection to the university. I agree with emphasizing Cal traditions and the college game-day experience, and certainly the focus should be on the sizable market of Cal alums and their families, but we should not limit ourselves. With the Raiders gone and the Niners in Santa Clara there will be a sizable vacuum that Cal can step into.
Cave Bear
socaliganbear said:

2) "She then expressed dismay over the extent to which control of sporting life on the campuses has been handed over to the conference's television partners. . . . "I know that sounds trivial,'' she said, "but part of the value of football to the institution is community building, and it makes it very hard to realize that value with the constant jerking around of game times." This is a person who understands the big picture ramifications of the price we paid. i.e. it's much bigger than butts in seats.
This was a great statement by Christ, and I completely agree. Now let's keep watching to see if it turns out to be hypocrisy. The exact same quote could have been issued about our game day experience, and an apologist for our program will resort to the same retort used by Larry Scott: show me the money. What is her solution for the constraints placed on the program by its game day overlord Learfield?
Jeff82
I actually think her statement about the Olympic tradition was a good one, if she really has analyzed it and pinned it down, which I suspect she has. Where is the Olympic tradition? Swimming, water polo, crew, track and field, gymnastics to a lesser extent. Where is there not an Olympic tradition? Baseball, soccer, tennis. When does the money baseball raised to save itself run out? Soon, I suspect, at which point I'd eliminate them. That not only eliminates the cost, but opens up the baseball field as part of the conversation between IAD and campus administration about trading land for debt relief which is now centered around Edwards Field, or so we've been told. Cutting baseball and men's soccer eliminates 76 roster spots, which permits reductions on the women's side to comply with Title IX, Prong 1.
BeachedBear
Jeff82 said:

I actually think her statement about the Olympic tradition was a good one, if she really has analyzed it and pinned it down, which I suspect she has. Where is the Olympic tradition? Swimming, water polo, crew, track and field, gymnastics to a lesser extent. Where is there not an Olympic tradition? Baseball, soccer, tennis. When does the money baseball raised to save itself run out? Soon, I suspect, at which point I'd eliminate them. That not only eliminates the cost, but opens up the baseball field as part of the conversation between IAD and campus administration about trading land for debt relief which is now centered around Edwards Field, or so we've been told. Cutting baseball and men's soccer eliminates 76 roster spots, which permits reductions on the women's side to comply with Title IX, Prong 1.
Evans diamond would be a nice location for a dedicated practice facility. Just sayin . . .

socaliganbear
If they eventually cut baseball, you're probably looking at new classroom space.
BeachedBear
socaliganbear said:

If they eventually cut baseball, you're probably looking at new classroom space.
WHAT?!?! A university building classroom space that only benefits maybe 25000 individuals, at best? Whereas a DEDICATED practice facility would be benefit at least 15 very special individuals (some of whom may get a degree).

:sarcasm
SRBear
I'm thinking it would be utilized for softball. Isn't the women's softball facility pretty sub-standard? Since it's one of the womens sports we would be keeping, might as well provide a decent field. Plus, pretty sure it would eat up less space than the current baseball diamond, leaving room for other uses.
socaliganbear
SRBear said:

I'm thinking it would be utilized for softball. Isn't the women's softball facility pretty sub-standard? Since it's one of the womens sports we would be keeping, might as well provide a decent field. Plus, pretty sure it would eat up less space than the current baseball diamond, leaving room for other uses.

It's not land that the softball team is missing. Moving them down would be pretty useless.
SRBear
Yes...but if their facility is crap, they can just move into baseball spaces rather than construct anything new and its probably an upgrade. Would also free up current softball space for other uses.
socaliganbear
SRBear said:

Yes...but if their facility is crap, they can just move into baseball spaces rather than construct anything new and its probably an upgrade. Would also free up current softball space for other uses.
Which piece of land would make more sense to free up, the one in central campus next to downtown, adjacent to parking, or the one high on a hill, behind the football stadium? I mean, come on..
SRBear
Gotcha....however, haven't there have been plenty of complaints about the field and facilities? Can't put the women in all the dark corners of campus. Already had a issue with the money making field hockey team and their field.
concordtom
I came to love Cal due to tailgates. Didn't care if we won or lost, it was the family experience. Kickoffs were 12 noon (or was it 1:00?, I dunno, I was a kid).

These last-minute varying and 7pm starts are a break from that tradition. I'd like to go back to at least having a consistent start time so we could plan.

Then again, my kids are now much busier in Saturdays than I was as a kid...
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.