Beau Baldwin to UA talk is heating up

31,562 Views | 164 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by BearGoggles
NYCGOBEARS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
bonsallbear said:

aws56 said:

Sebastabear said:

ducky23 said:

Pskriv said:

Big C said:

tequila4kapp said:

Bobodeluxe said:

going4roses said:

1We 'Why does it seem so hard to find coaches that want to build something here?
Anyone have an answer?
Isn't it obvious? How long would you stay some place that never pays top dollar, usually pay less than market rate, where the community isn't really rabid about football, the faculty/administration is sometimes hostile to football and cost of living is really high?
nailed it
Yep, and don't forget CAL is not very flexible on their admissions for student athletes.

And yet our head coach declined an interview with arguably his dream job
I know people on here love Cal, but I think they sometimes forget to appreciate it.

Look this is one of the top schools in the world with a degree that sells itself. You don't think it's an issue to recruit kids and parents who are serious about academics to an Oregon or an ASU or whatever? It is.

We have a long, rich storied football tradition, and, lest you forget, we're the protagonists in the most famous play in college football history. And we know what the word "protagonists" means (yeah, intellectual snobbery, blah, blah, blah).

We have a very large and affluent alumni base with a hard core of passionate fans.

Our stadium is among the most beautiful in the world - I've certainly never seen one better. Our facilities are top rate, our weather is fantastic and the Bay Area beats the living hell as a place to live out of 99.9% of the country in terms of food, culture, natural beauty and entertainment.

Of course we have challenges and issues, but come on. This is not exactly the Siberian front of coaching gigs. Finding coaches who appreciate what we have to offer should be a no brainer if we can get out of our own way.
Recruiting here isn't easy. Coaches know that getting top talent is the best way to consistently win.

We just don't have a lot of competitive advantages that can't be countered by the elite football programs in the pac-12. I think that is out biggest issue.

1: For those that qualify------the best academic school
2:Arguably, the nicest traditional/ classic campus in a beautiful setting
3: Diversity in student population.
4: Proximity to international city - San Francisco
5: Best overall year round weather

What did i miss?

Top Dog
Cave Bear
aws56 said:

Sebastabear said:

ducky23 said:

Pskriv said:

Big C said:

tequila4kapp said:

Bobodeluxe said:

going4roses said:

We 'Why does it seem so hard to find coaches that want to build something here?
Anyone have an answer?
Isn't it obvious? How long would you stay some place that never pays top dollar, usually pay less than market rate, where the community isn't really rabid about football, the faculty/administration is sometimes hostile to football and cost of living is really high?
nailed it
Yep, and don't forget CAL is not very flexible on their admissions for student athletes.

I know people on here love Cal, but I think they sometimes forget to appreciate it.

Look this is one of the top schools in the world with a degree that sells itself. You don't think it's an issue to recruit kids and parents who are serious about academics to an Oregon or an ASU or whatever? It is.

We have a long, rich storied football tradition, and, lest you forget, we're the protagonists in the most famous play in college football history. And we know what the word "protagonists" means (yeah, intellectual snobbery, blah, blah, blah).

We have a very large and affluent alumni base with a hard core of passionate fans.

Our stadium is among the most beautiful in the world - I've certainly never seen one better. Our facilities are top rate, our weather is fantastic and the Bay Area beats the living hell as a place to live out of 99.9% of the country in terms of food, culture, natural beauty and entertainment.

Of course we have challenges and issues, but come on. This is not exactly the Siberian front of coaching gigs. Finding coaches who appreciate what we have to offer should be a no brainer if we can get out of our own way.
Recruiting here isn't easy. Coaches know that getting top talent is the best way to consistently win.

We just don't have a lot of competitive advantages that can't be countered by the elite football programs in the pac-12. I think that is out biggest issue.

I think we have one of the stronger sets of natural recruiting advantages in the Pac-12, along with the other California schools. Look at the recruiting ranks for our classes even when our team is down and our head coach is not good. They frequently match or even outperform the class rankings of programs like WSU, OSU, Utah, Colorado and Arizona even when those programs are outperforming us on the field. Then look at our recruiting when our program is in good shape, when we have strong leadership and are getting good results on the field. We almost immediately become a perennial Top-25 recruiting program with occasional seasons in the Top-15.
Cave Bear
Big C said:

I'm assuming Wilcox has put a lot of thought into what he might do if we need a new OC all of a sudden?
If we lose Baldwin, I'd like to see Troy Taylor as the replacement
calumnus
socaliganbear said:

calumnus said:

chazzed said:

Uthaithani said:

I'm not freaking out either way on this one. I think he might be a better HC than OC and last season's offense is very easily replaceable, he didn't exactly work magic. It would be nice if he stuck around and could be HC at Cal when the time is right, but we'll be okay either way.
Baldwin had very little to work with this season, especially after the first few games. I want to see what he can do with Robertson, Watson, two or three good tight ends, etc.

I was still disappointed with what he did with what we had--I assumed he put together good offenses with lesser talent at Eastern Washington and thought he was predictable/not very imaginative or flexible this year. We went from the #1 offense in the conference to #11 (while improving from the #10 defense to #7).

Still, I will chalk up last year as an aberation and hope we see MUCH better results when he has more tools available to run the offense he wants to run. He does seem to be a leader and good HC.
We had the #1 offense in the Pac in 2016, only because of yardage. We were not the highest scoring offense in the Pac. Nor the most efficient. We didn't score the most touchdowns or average the most ppg.

We went from the 3rd highest scoring offense to the 10th, which is about right for a team that lost it's QB, top 2 WR, and top 2 RB, on top of learning a new system with a frosh QB and relying on a walk on to carry our offense.

Did we give Dykes/Buh the benefit of tge doubt for worse attrition from an already poor defense? At least on offense you can scheme around your weaknesses. At least we had our OL back and that walk-on was obviously really good from the get go and could have carried the offense more. McMorris was underutilized as well. Playcalling was predictable--if we have an issue with talent, I want the OC to be more creative, not less. Again, I am an optimist and will look forward to our 2018 offense, but even with all the factors you cite, I think Baldwin could have done better in 2017 and would be dissapointed if Baldwin didnt think so also.
calumnus
Cave Bear said:

Big C said:

I'm assuming Wilcox has put a lot of thought into what he might do if we need a new OC all of a sudden?

Agreed
socaliganbear
calumnus said:

socaliganbear said:

calumnus said:

chazzed said:

Uthaithani said:

I'm not freaking out either way on this one. I think he might be a better HC than OC and last season's offense is very easily replaceable, he didn't exactly work magic. It would be nice if he stuck around and could be HC at Cal when the time is right, but we'll be okay either way.
Baldwin had very little to work with this season, especially after the first few games. I want to see what he can do with Robertson, Watson, two or three good tight ends, etc.

I was still disappointed with what he did with what we had--I assumed he put together good offenses with lesser talent at Eastern Washington and thought he was predictable/not very imaginative or flexible this year. We went from the #1 offense in the conference to #11 (while improving from the #10 defense to #7).

Still, I will chalk up last year as an aberation and hope we see MUCH better results when he has more tools available to run the offense he wants to run. He does seem to be a leader and good HC.
We had the #1 offense in the Pac in 2016, only because of yardage. We were not the highest scoring offense in the Pac. Nor the most efficient. We didn't score the most touchdowns or average the most ppg.

We went from the 3rd highest scoring offense to the 10th, which is about right for a team that lost it's QB, top 2 WR, and top 2 RB, on top of learning a new system with a frosh QB and relying on a walk on to carry our offense.

Did we give Dykes/Buh the benefit of tge doubt for worse attrition from an already poor defense? At least on offense you can scheme around your weaknesses. At least we had our OL back and that walk-on was obviously really good from the get go and could have carried the offense more. McMorris was underutilized as well. Playcalling was predictable--if we have an issue with talent, I want the OC to be more creative, not less. Again, I am an optimist and will look forward to our 2018 offense, but even with all the factors you cite, I think Baldwin could have done better in 2017 and would be dissapointed if Baldwin didnt think so also.

Difference is Sonny and Buh produced one of the worst defenses in ncaa history. Whereas our offense this year looked like an offense that ran off the back of a walk on RB.

A better comparison would be to our offense in 2013. In which we actually finished worse in total scoring. With a FAR less talented QB, WR group, and RB stable, we actually scored more TD's this year, and averaged more pppg than our first year with Sonny's air raid.

On Offense, BB did more with less than we did in a an air raid system with an incredibly talented offensive roster.
82gradDLSdad
NYCGOBEARS said:

bonsallbear said:

aws56 said:

Sebastabear said:

ducky23 said:

Pskriv said:

Big C said:

tequila4kapp said:

Bobodeluxe said:

going4roses said:

1We 'Why does it seem so hard to find coaches that want to build something here?
Anyone have an answer?
nailed it

What did i miss?

Top Dog

Honestly, this is #1 on my list. Other than football games it's the only reason I go to Berkeley.
tequila4kapp
socaliganbear said:

calumnus said:

socaliganbear said:

calumnus said:

chazzed said:

Uthaithani said:

Difference is Sonny and Buh produced one of the worst defenses in ncaa history. Whereas our offense this year looked like an offense that ran off the back of a walk on RB.

A better comparison would be to our offense in 2013. In which we actually finished worse in total scoring. With a FAR less talented QB, WR group, and RB stable, we actually scored more TD's this year, and averaged more pppg than our first year with Sonny's air raid.

On Offense, BB did more with less than we did in a an air raid system with an incredibly talented offensive roster.
Wait a second now. Don't let facts get in the way...
PtownBear1
Well my top pick for OC if Baldwin left is now the OC for the pro Bears. And we're also coming up on Spring training and we really need some continuity. So I really hope this AZ talk is just that...
wifeisafurd
Cave Bear said:

Big C said:

This is not a given.
packawana
bonsallbear said:

aws56 said:

Sebastabear said:

ducky23 said:

Pskriv said:

Big C said:

tequila4kapp said:

Bobodeluxe said:

going4roses said:

Anyone have an answer?
nailed it

What did i miss?
That's his point though, all of those things are arguably shared and can be countered by all of the elite Pac-12 programs. The only thing that would probably be the dealbraker would be winning, and of $C, Furd, Washington, and UCLA, only UCLA has been performing on par with us, and they just hired a coach who went to a national championship.
socaliganbear
tequila4kapp said:

socaliganbear said:

calumnus said:

socaliganbear said:

calumnus said:

chazzed said:

Uthaithani said:

In other words, if you had faith in Sonny that he would fix that sh*t offense from 2013, an offense worse than what Beau Baldwin produced with less talent, then there's no reason you shouldn't place the same faith in Beau improving his offense.

As I've noted in the past, Beau and Sonny had several common P12 opponents between 2013-16. Against every single opponent, Beau Baldwin's squad outscored Sonny's Cal squad. Every. Single. Time.
CalBearinLA
Niumataolo has been offered the AZ job...let's see if he accepts

OdontoBear66
socaliganbear said:

tequila4kapp said:

socaliganbear said:

calumnus said:

socaliganbear said:

calumnus said:

chazzed said:

Uthaithani said:

In other words, if you had faith in Sonny that he would fix that sh*t offense from 2013, an offense worse than what Beau Baldwin produced with less talent, then there's no reason you shouldn't place the same faith in Beau improving his offense.

As I've noted in the past, Beau and Sonny had several common P12 opponents between 2013-16. Against every single opponent, Beau Baldwin's squad outscored Sonny's Cal squad. Every. Single. Time.
Not sure, but I think tequila was agreeing with you and being sarcastic.
socaliganbear
OdontoBear66 said:

socaliganbear said:

tequila4kapp said:

socaliganbear said:

calumnus said:

socaliganbear said:

calumnus said:

chazzed said:

Uthaithani said:

Not sure, but I think tequila was agreeing with you and being sarcastic.
I recognize that. I wasn't challenging him, just adding to my point.
BigDaddy
Arizona is cash strapped and doesn't have the $$$ for any of the big names. Kevin Sumlin wanted the job but his salary demands brought the kind of "sticker shock" that helped reality set in.

Right now, I'd expect someone within their budget.... DC Marcel Yates, Western Kentucky HC Mike Sanford or Cal OC Beau Baldwin to be the short list.
YamhillBear
CalBearinLA said:

Niumataolo has been offered the AZ job...let's see if he accepts

if this is true, some intrigue:

https://sportsnaut.com/2018/01/khalil-tate-issue-arizona-ken-niumatalolo/
[url=https://sportsnaut.com/2018/01/khalil-tate-issue-arizona-ken-niumatalolo/][/url]
[url=https://sportsnaut.com/2018/01/khalil-tate-issue-arizona-ken-niumatalolo/][/url]
FloriDreaming
socaliganbear said:

tequila4kapp said:

socaliganbear said:

calumnus said:

socaliganbear said:

calumnus said:

chazzed said:

Uthaithani said:

The bigger point here is that, while it would be nice if he stays, Baldwin's departure would not be a death blow for Cal. Either way, Cal will be okay. He wasn't a magician, the offense was ordinary, and there are plenty of OCs out there who could replicate what we saw in 2017, and more than a few available who could improve on it. People like to freak out over stuff, this just isn't freak out-worthy.
Yogi58
BigDaddy said:

Arizona is cash strapped and doesn't have the $$$ for any of the big names. Kevin Sumlin wanted the job but his salary demands brought the kind of "sticker shock" that helped reality set in.

Right now, I'd expect someone within their budget.... DC Marcel Yates, Western Kentucky HC Mike Sanford or Cal OC Beau Baldwin to be the short list.
They wouldn't be if Book Richardson hadn't spent all their money.
Big C
Uthaithani said:

socaliganbear said:

tequila4kapp said:

socaliganbear said:

calumnus said:

socaliganbear said:

calumnus said:

chazzed said:

Uthaithani said:

The bigger point here is that, while it would be nice if he stays, Baldwin's departure would not be a death blow for Cal. Either way, Cal will be okay. He wasn't a magician, the offense was ordinary, and there are plenty of OCs out there who could replicate what we saw in 2017, and more than a few available who could improve on it. People like to freak out over stuff, this just isn't freak out-worthy.
Pretty much agree. Certainly there are OCs and DCs who are below average (boy, do we know that), but for most of the better ones, there probably isn't too much difference between them. A lot of the differences in production can likely be explained by the players they have to work with, their position coaches, the HC they work for and even some luck (especially in the cases of small sample size).

Look at Tony Franklin, who, four years ago today, was a charlatan who was just using us to sell his TFS to high schools. Nine months later, he had suddenly gotten smarter. Beau Baldwin, if he stays, is going to look a heck of a lot smarter nine months from now, too. In fact, I hope he looks so smart that he becomes the hottest commodity in the land.
going4roses
I don't know... I hope so
Tell someone you love them and try to have a good day
bross
Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/benrosssports
TheSouseFamily
Speaking of Dykes' staff, I noticed today that Zach Yenser was let go at Kansas. Thought I'd check in on how the rest of his initial staff was faring. Some interesting locations for some of these guys:

Tony Franklin (OC): OC @ MTSU
Zach Yenser (OL): let go by Kansas
Rob Likens (WR): OC @ Arizona State
Mark Tommerdahl (WR/ST): ST @ Utah State
Pierre Ingram (RB): OC @ Fujitsu Frontiers (Japan)
Andy Buh (DC): DC @ Maryland
Garret Chachere (DE): OC @ New Mexico Highlands Univ
Randy Stewart (DB): Safeties @ Cal Poly
Barry Sacks (DL): DL @ Montana
socaliganbear
TheSouseFamily said:

Speaking of Dykes' staff, I noticed today that Zach Yenser was let go at Kansas. Thought I'd check in on how the rest of his initial staff was faring. Some interesting locations for some of these guys:

How did they not pull it off at Cal....
SRBear
wow...we were lucky to keep the gang together as long as we did based on demand for their coaching skills.
socaliganbear
Oh and Damon Harrington, the guy we just HAD to keep because the guys had NEVER worked out as hard as they did with him . . .he's at Grambling.
6956bear
bross said:

Arizona certainly would like this to be resolved today IMO. Programs are in major recruiting mode. OVs start again this weekend (tonight) and home visits etc commence in earnest again next week. I am actually a little surprised it has not been resolved already. I would like Baldwin to stay on for at least one more year. Not a crushing loss for Cal should he move on, but not really ideal either.
PtownBear1
TheSouseFamily said:

Well you left out Peeler, the one guy that has been successful, but yeah, pretty subpar staff overall.
TheSouseFamily
PtownBear1 said:

TheSouseFamily said:

Well you left out Peeler, the one guy that has been successful, but yeah, pretty subpar staff overall.

True but he was a GA on the initial staff, not a position coach.
ducky23
TheSouseFamily said:

Ingram can probably have some serious "fun" in Japan.
LACalFan
TheSouseFamily said:

New Mexico Highlands Univ? Weird. Did Trashere lose those VHS tapes he was holding over Sonny?
BearlyCareAnymore
TheSouseFamily said:

Yeah. That was an awesome staff.

So the most successful guy is the one that failed so miserably he got fired after one year
kad02002
Ken N would be a great hire.
NVBear78
Who is Ken N?
oski003
Scroll up.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.