My proposal for Saving Edwards

7,226 Views | 40 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by TomBear
tequila4kapp
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Cal Junkie said:

Well turnabout is fair play. Perhaps we should install a high-end track inside of Memorial Stadium surrounding the football field. This would free up Edwards stadium and also be a nice concession from the football program. In addition you would have an NCAA and IAAF-approved stadium ready-made.

Sheesh, some people.
I guess that was directed at me. I'll take the high road. Sorry your favorite sport has to go.
Cal Junkie
I apologize, probably didn't handle the messaging too well. It may mean little to many, but I'm committed to saving track in some way, shape or form.

And to the poster who poo-poo'd a few random athletes who compete in track to maintain their high end speed, that's short-sighted. We need burners at WR, CB, RB and those are guys who compete in track. If we shut down track, those guys are going to get snapped up by Oregon, UCLA, U$C, furd. Be careful what you wish for. Not having men's track will hurt recruiting the fastest guys, and frankly in this day and age, you need some of them at particular skill positions.
JimSox
GivemTheAxe said:

There is currently a decrepit office building in the West side of Edward Field. Why can't that be torn down and have a new modern office building or dorm put up on that spot integrated into Edwards. Kill two birds with one stone.
IMO it makes little sense to remove a large playing field from the campus which has way too few places for intercollegiate and intermural athletics. Once Edwards is gone, no playing field of its size is ever coming back.
BTW I understand that there are restrictions on what Clark Kerr field can be used for which would probably prevent its use for intercollegiate track and field events.
You just touched on something that has mystified me for years. What on earth IS that disgusting pink building in front of the west side of Edwards? Just guessing, but it appears to have been constructed years later than Edwards. It obviously interrupts and in fact destroys what was once a grand entrance to a beautiful stadium. Without it, you would have an attractive sloping lawn area leading up to the stadium's majestic facade, which is now totally obscured. I've always hated that thing. Tear it down. Save Edwards!
bear2034
Feel bad for T&F but we have debt and need to pay it off, the sooner the better.
BearlyCareAnymore
Cal Junkie said:

Well turnabout is fair play. Perhaps we should install a high-end track inside of Memorial Stadium surrounding the football field. This would free up Edwards stadium and also be a nice concession from the football program. In addition you would have an NCAA and IAAF-approved stadium ready-made.

Sheesh, some people.
As a football fan, I don't like to have a track around the field, but if a track would fit inside Memorial I would agree that it would be a fair compromise and should be done to open up Edwards and give T&F a place to train/compete. Unfortunately it doesn't fit.
Cal Junkie
In all honesty it would seem that only antiquated stadiums have tracks around the football field. Cal would have to remove some lower row seating from Memorial in order to accommodate this. That would not fly and I'm not really too sure I'd much care for it myself. Desperate times though...
TomBear
To follow up no CalJunkies point, not only would it ruin sightlines, but it would increase the height of the wall that is already too tall between the fans and the game. So you would decrease seating, worsen the visibility, and further destroy what was once a close, intimate setting.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.