Raleigh's, Tap Haus, and Barclay's

3,649 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by BearDevil
BearDevil
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Finally made it to the new Raleigh's yesterday. A little trendy, but still not bad. Menu/signage says established 1987, which is incorrect. Definitely went there in 1986 and perhaps in 1985.

Like Tap Haus, but it's been closed the last few times I've been in Berkeley. Anyone know what's going on with TH?

Barclay's on Shattuck has already closed and looks like they've already cleaned out much of the stuff.
socaliganbear
TH keeps pretty strange hours. But it's always open on Saturdays for game day so I've never had a problem. They actually just expanded. Now there's a huge upstairs with a big bar, pool tables, booths etc. Some of the closures may have been during the remodel. There's now a large wooden staircase in the middle of the downstairs bar that takes you upstairs. When I was last there a couple months ago, they were clearly still finishing the remodel.

The patio at Raleigh's is back to being my favorite though. Still haven't been to Gio's .
bearister
Went to Barclay's awhile back and I thought the seasoning they put on the cod ruined the Fish n Chips dish.
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
BearDevil
socaliganbear said:

They actually just expanded. Now there's a huge upstairs with a big bar, pool tables, booths etc. Some of the closures may have been during the remodel. There's now a large wooden staircase in the middle of the downstairs bar that takes you upstairs. When I was last there a couple months ago, they were clearly still finishing the remodel.

Finally cracked the code on Tap Haus yesterday. The upstairs part is the primary space now. They only use the basement part (LaVal's/Come Back Inn) as spill over space on weekend evenings when needed.

Upstairs is as described: great space with really good German beer selection. Only downside is the bathrooms are downstairs. They've blocked off downstairs entrance from the inside.

Pappy's/Larry Blake's liquor license has been suspended for serving minors.
socaliganbear
Interesting about Pappy's. I still get carded there!
BearDevil
Was at Top Dog yesterday and for the third straight time since they had to fire the tiki torch Nazi, the workers were kind and polite. Screw that, clearly the terrorists have already won.
ColoradoBear
BearDevil said:

Barclay's on Shattuck has already closed and looks like they've already cleaned out much of the stuff.
Wow, they didn't last long. Not surprised, I hit it up after a game last fall and it wasn't that appealing. Kinda felt like we were drinking on Shattuck. Hope they didn't take too much of a bath on the reopening. Gio's next door looked pretty cool. I think DT Berkeley needs about 5k more residents before shattuck feels less dumpy.

I also checked out whatever replaced Barclays on college and it basically felt the same, but with nicer beers and food.
BearDevil
ColoradoBear said:

BearDevil said:

I also checked out whatever replaced Barclays on college and it basically felt the same, but with nicer beers and food.

Popped into Golden Squirrel yesterday. Big upgrade (beer, food, interior) over Barclay's.

Have a solid build your own Bloody program, but I refuse any red drinks on Cal gane days.
riogrrrandefan
BearDevil said:

Have a solid build your own Bloody program, but I refuse any red drinks on Cal gane days.
Don't loose hope, plenty of veggies go well with vodka and gin, but you gotta get a juicer. Work on them, could be a big seller on game days.
oskidunker
Whats going on with the bottom of Kips? Such a wasted great location. The upscale restaurant touted by Chez Panise evidently did not come to fruition
socaliganbear
oskidunker said:

Whats going on with the bottom of Kips? Such a wasted great location. The upscale restaurant touted by Chez Panise evidently did not come to fruition
My guess is that entire complex will be razed at some point in the next 5-7 years.
joe amos yaks
How's the Sheperd's Pie at The Golden Squirrel?
"Those who say don't know, and those who know don't say." - LT
BearDevil
joe amos yaks said:

How's the Sheperd's Pie at The Golden Squirrel?

Dunno, didn't have it. Biscuits & Gravy was tasty. My friends seemed pleased with Eggs Benedict and the other breakfast stuff. A few of those infidels raved about the Bloodies.

Relatively new place I like is Gaumenkitzel on San Pablo roughly at University. Very authentic German with a terrific beer selection.

Still need to hit up Gio's.
dbush518
Staff
The Stanfords are losing a pretty good spot when the Oasis closes. I know it is in a foreign land, but the beer is good and so are the burgers. It is hard to dislike even Stanfords over a good brewski.
Never went there after a Big Game, but when I went down to The Farm for an SC or UCLA game it was always fun to watch the Indians cry in their beer.
BearDevil
dbush518 said:

The Stanfords are losing a pretty good spot when the Oasis closes. I know it is in a foreign land, but the beer is good and so are the burgers. It is hard to dislike even Stanfords over a good brewski.
Never went there after a Big Game, but when I went down to The Farm for an SC or UCLA game it was always fun to watch the Indians cry in their beer.

Serious bummer. Three best LSJU bars are The Dutch Goose, 'Zott's, and The Oasis.

Ran into a Cal friend at the O after a Big Game. She pointed out her Brother in Law, a recently retired NFL player, and calmly said, "That chick he's making out with isn't my sister".
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.