Dylan Klumph Transferring To Arizona

19,277 Views | 90 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by OdontoBear66
bross
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Will be a graduate transfer.
Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/benrosssports
Bear19
We should allow these types of transfers to only non Pac-12 teams. I don't get why we don't do that.
socaliganbear
Bear19 said:

We should allow these types of transfers to only non Pac-12 teams. I don't get why we don't do that.
He's a grad transfer. We can't dictate where he cant go.
bluehenbear
He graduated. How can you stop him?
packawana
Bear19 said:

Can we please just acknowledge that we don't care that these are students who should have academic control over their future?
Bobodeluxe
I blame Buh.
TheSouseFamily
Oregon has lost a couple of grad transfers of their own in recent days. Both going to Mizzou.

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/02/09/mizzou-lands-second-oregon-grad-transfer-in-as-many-days/
barabbas
bluehenbear said:

He graduated. How can you stop him?

By changing the rules.
socaliganbear
TheSouseFamily said:

Oregon has lost a couple of grad transfers of their own in recent days. Both going to Mizzou.

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/02/09/mizzou-lands-second-oregon-grad-transfer-in-as-many-days/

Furd has two as well. And not punters...
82gradDLSdad
TheSouseFamily said:

Well it's tough as hell to get into Oregon's grad programs.
socaliganbear
82gradDLSdad said:

TheSouseFamily said:

This is why I don't get all the Cal crying . EVERY program is now losing more grad transfers than before. Grad transfer eligible players everywhere are now taking advantage of this opportunity more than they were a few years ago. And every program's fans will have school specific reasons for why it's happening to them, when in reality it's an NCAA wide trend.

e.g. When Nall was exploring grad transfer options earlier this year, OSU fans were telling themselves that he wanted to take the opportunity to get into a prestigious grad program and that was just something they had to accept. Of course he eventually opted for the draft... At Cal we tell ourselves that our players need to go somewhere easy where they have a shot a grad program.
MoragaBear
Staff
Nall was mainly looking at Cal and Stanford for a grad transfer if he didn't go pro so OSU fans were correct.
packawana
MoragaBear said:

Nall was mainly looking at Cal and Stanford for a grad transfer if he didn't go pro so OSU fans were correct.
Pat, Malik, and the Wrecking Nall behind a more experienced, larger Greatwood OL would have been a sight to see. We could have had one of the best rushing attacks in the country.
socaliganbear
MoragaBear said:

Yep. Which is my point, every school has a reason for why they lose players. But overall, schools are losing more players. And they all have reasons for why.
MoragaBear
Staff
socaliganbear said:

MoragaBear said:

Yep. Which is my point, every school has a reason for why they lose players. But overall, schools are losing more players. And they all have reasons for why.
Yeah and they don't always fit any given frustrated fan's narrative that doesn't accept the player's stated reason why they transferred.

Players and their decisions are all over the board and there are pros and cons to players staying or leaving from any given program that can vary wildly from player to player or school to school.
calumnus
I do think that one outcome of this is coaches will become less likely to redshirt freshmen just to save their eligibility for a 5th year that will be utilized at another program. If they can contribute, they will play.
71Bear
calumnus said:

I do think that one outcome of this is coaches will become less likely to redshirt freshmen just to save their eligibility for a 5th year that will be utilized at another program. If they can contribute, they will play.
The redshirt rule is about to undergo a significant overhaul. This could change how freshman are utilized by every school. Along with the expected change to the transfer rule, the game is becoming much more "player friendly".....
Bear19
calumnus said:

Good point. I think you're right.
ayetee11
Coaches won't avoid redshirting because winning solves everything. If a player is a RS Senior and doesn't start, he's not really needed.
HoopDreams
That's right
I don't mind grad transfer rule, and also don't think players should be restricted on where they go

What I don't like is it puts cal at another competitive disadvantage as it's tough to get into our grad schools, and we don't have one year grad programs, and we certainly don't have a one year masters of sports management degree

71Bear said:

calumnus said:

The redshirt rule is about to undergo a significant overhaul. This could change how freshman are utilized by every school. Along with the expected change to the transfer rule, the game is becoming much more "player friendly".....
rkt88edmo
Congrats Dylan on graduating and thank you for all you've done. Go Bears.
Econ141
Just stop redshirting people
Bear19
packawana said:

Can we please just acknowledge that we don't care that these are students who should have academic control over their future?
The players are not transferring because of academics imo - one year grad programs are virtually worthless in the job market. They are transferring to get more playing time, pure & simple. Cal needs to come up with a way to offer an additional year of study to keep our fair share of these players.
bluehenbear
MoragaBear said:

Makes that fumble in the waning seconds of the OSU/furd game all that more suspicious. Hmmmm....
Bear19
HoopDreams said:

What I don't like is it puts cal at another competitive disadvantage as it's tough to get into our grad schools, and we don't have one year grad programs, and we certainly don't have a one year masters of sports management degree
One year grad programs are worthless the job market. Agree that Cal needs to come up with a way (a Cal one year program) to offer players 5th year playing time to offer our fair share of transfers we actually want to keep. Let's not kid ourselves - this is only about a 5th year of playing time, not academics.
Big Dog
Quote:

Cal needs to come up with a way to offer an additional year of study to keep our fair share of these players.

Sorry, this makes no sense to me. There are literally thousands of non-athletic students who take more than four years to graduate. Just take the minimum academic load.

(Cal has a 4-year grad rate of 72%. In other words, 28% of entering Frosh take more than 4 years to complete their degree. If Dylan, or any other player wants to stay beyond 8 semesters, its is extremely easy to accomplish. )
packawana
Bear19 said:

packawana said:

The players are not transferring because of academics imo - one year grad programs are virtually worthless in the job market. They are transferring to get more playing time, pure & simple. Cal needs to come up with a way to offer an additional year of study to keep our fair share of these players.
Many of them probably aren't. Doesn't matter -- the players should be given maximal opportunity here to move as they wish, especially if schools are going to be allowed to make money off of them that they won't get to see a penny of.

Of course we could just finally acknowledge that the academics really don't matter in the long run because it's about the sport to begin with but obviously that'll never happen so we might as well give the players as much control as they probably can.
ayetee11
Of all the players who left, how many would actually change the outcome of a game.
SoFlaBear
socaliganbear said:

82gradDLSdad said:

TheSouseFamily said:

This is why I don't get all the Cal crying . EVERY program is now losing more grad transfers than before. Grad transfer eligible players everywhere are now taking advantage of this opportunity more than they were a few years ago. And every program's fans will have school specific reasons for why it's happening to them, when in reality it's an NCAA wide trend.

e.g. When Nall was exploring grad transfer options earlier this year, OSU fans were telling themselves that he wanted to take the opportunity to get into a prestigious grad program and that was just something they had to accept. Of course he eventually opted for the draft... At Cal we tell ourselves that our players need to go somewhere easy where they have a shot a grad program.
Remember the halcyon days when we bemoaned that these kids weren't earning degrees? Now we're complaining that they are going to grad school.
SoFlaBear
Big Dog said:

Quote:

Cal needs to come up with a way to offer an additional year of study to keep our fair share of these players.

Sorry, this makes no sense to me. There are literally thousands of non-athletic students who take more than four years to graduate. Just take the minimum academic load.

(Cal has a 4-year grad rate of 72%. In other words, 28% of entering Frosh take more than 4 years to complete their degree. If Dylan, or any other player wants to stay beyond 8 semesters, its is extremely easy to accomplish. )
There is really already an alternative year of study - the red shirt year. The idea being that you do undergrad in five years and use that year off to get in shape for the next level. But if kids are also taking credits during summers, and/or coming in with AP credits (something more of these kids do at all schools), and/or take High School classes counting for dual enrollment credit then they can complete the course work in four years.

Personally, I'm thrilled they are graduating with a BA/BS
socaliganbear
Big Dog said:

Quote:

Well, the big difference is that of that 28%, how many of them were here taking summer classes immediately after high school, and every summer after that? I can see how some players might end up with more units faster.
Big Dog
Quote:

then they can complete the course work in four years.

of course they can. (Heck, some even graduate in three years.). But it doesn't matter whether they CAN graduate in 4 years -- the point is that they don't HAVE too graduate in 4 years to if they don't want to. In other words it is EASY to stay for a 5th academic year if any student - even athletes -- are so inclined.

So, it matters not that Cal doesn't offer many terminal master's degrees and/or that those that they do offer are extremely competitive admits. This argument is a red herring.

If any grad transfers want to stay for a 5th year they certainly could. (Someone like JMat left for other than academic reasons, i.e., other than earning an MA.)

Quote:

Personally, I'm thrilled they are graduating with a BA/BS.

Me too, but is on Coach if they go play somwhere else their 5th year.

MoragaBear
Staff
I don't understand the complete unwillingness on the part of some people to accept that there are plenty of players that want to leverage the opportunity to get a free masters, especially those that aren't likely to play professionally. That doesn't describe everyone but the numbers aren't small or nonexistent, as some seem to insist.

If you can get a masters you're interested in and find yourself in a better competitive situation, too, it's a double bonus.

Think about it if it were you or your kid. Maybe you'd stay put or advise your kid to do so, no matter what the circumstances. But many of you would transfer, too, or advise it for your kid, if you're really being honest.
ayetee11
MoragaBear said:

I don't understand the complete unwillingness on the part of some people to accept that there are plenty of players that want to leverage the opportunity to get a free masters, especially those that aren't likely to play professionally. That doesn't describe everyone but the numbers aren't small or nonexistent, as some seem to insist.

If you can get a masters you're interested in and find yourself in a better competitive situation, too, it's a double bonus.

Think about it if it were you or your kid. Maybe you'd stay put or advise your kid to do so, no matter what the circumstances. But many of you would transfer, too, or advise it for your kid, if you're really being honest.

Please list the kids what were Grad Transfers to other programs that finished their masters at that program. I would be curious to see how many continued their education after football at that school.
71Bear
MoragaBear said:

Well said, Jim. I agree 100%....
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.