OT: Ohio State is paying their OC and DC $1 million each

2,191 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by 71Bear
packawana
How long do you want to ignore this user?
https://www.elevenwarriors.com/ohio-state-football/2018/02/91103/greg-schiano-ryan-day-become-ohio-states-first-million-dollar-assistants-as-all-10-assistant-coaches-sign-new

Alex Grinch (WSU's old DC) is being paid $800,000.

Honestly, I don't understand how anyone is going to keep up with this arms race in the long run.
ColoradoBear
LSU is paying their DC 1.8 mil and OC 1.5 mil. Ohio State is a bit behind the SEC.
bear2034
But it's fun seeing these same schools lose to the "poor".
BearMDJD
We're paying our inside linebackers coach 840k. He doesn't even coach the outside backers. LSU and OSU ain't got nothin on us
Bear19
BearMDJD said:

We're paying our inside linebackers coach 840k. He doesn't even coach the outside backers. LSU and OSU ain't got nothin on us
Except the number of wins per season. . .
wifeisafurd
BearMDJD said:

My guess is our inside LB coach is (1) also is acting as the recruiting coordinator and (2) is the next guy up if DeRuyter deservedly gets a huge offer from a school like LSU for turning the Cal defense around so quickly.
socaliganbear
Sirmon might be the top paid position coach in the conference.
wifeisafurd
socaliganbear said:

Not necessarily by Cal. His former employer is picking-up some portion of his salary as part of the deal.
TheSouseFamily
wifeisafurd said:

socaliganbear said:

Not necessarily by Cal. His former employer is picking-up some portion of his salary as part of the deal.

Wife - A little confused by this. I'd think whatever funds flow from Louisville to Sirmon would be a matter between those entities and wouldn't involve Cal (other than to enable us to probably offer him less). So I'm not sure how those monies would somehow be reflected in the reported terms of the contract between Cal and Sirmon. Aren't those two separate issues?
BearlyCareAnymore
TheSouseFamily said:

wifeisafurd said:

socaliganbear said:

Wife - A little confused by this. I'd think whatever funds flow from Louisville to Sirmon would be a matter between those entities and wouldn't involve Cal (other than to enable us to probably offer him less). So I'm not sure how those monies would somehow be reflected in the reported terms of the contract between Cal and Sirmon. Aren't those two separate issues?
Not necessarily. What about this hypothetical.

Coach is a coordinator and has $600K buyout from School 1 with a clause that it is offset by moneys earned at a new job.

Coach gets a position coach offer from School 2 for $400K a year.

Coach says, I can sit on my hands and get $600K, I need $800K to get out of bed this year.

School 2 says $400K is all I'm paying for a position coach.

School 1 can now agree to pay Coach $400K and let him work for School 2 for a combined $800K, or they can pay him $600K to sit on the sidelines. They'd rather do the former.

With all the contingencies, that could easily be a 3 way agreement.
wifeisafurd
TheSouseFamily said:

wifeisafurd said:

socaliganbear said:

Not really. Louisville was going to release him and Cal helped mitigate their severance requirements, and Louisville made the money work in order to insure Cal hired him to avoid potentially larger severance payments. Think of Louisville like one of the donors that paid a portion of JT's salary.
TheSouseFamily
A three-way agreement would make sense and explain it. It just sounded like the reported terms were just between Cal and Sirmon, but if Cal is receiving $ from Louisville to make those payments, it would all tie together. Didn't realize these agreements would be structured that way.
mbBear
packawana said:

https://www.elevenwarriors.com/ohio-state-football/2018/02/91103/greg-schiano-ryan-day-become-ohio-states-first-million-dollar-assistants-as-all-10-assistant-coaches-sign-new

Alex Grinch (WSU's old DC) is being paid $800,000.

Honestly, I don't understand how anyone is going to keep up with this arms race in the long run.

They do it because they can, simple economics. Sure, if TV deals top out (and that's clearly an "if," considering Fox and NBC have sports channels they continue to try to make more enticing), then it might slow down some.
But look at average home attendance numbers (we will skip the conference TV deal for the sake of discussion) of these schools vs. what Cal has as butts in the seats: multiply by whatever number you want to use, but gross revenue here alone is significant. Same kind of math for those who are giving to the program annually vs. the number of people giving to Cal.
Lots of reasons, but starts with the number of fans....
BearSD
Yup. On home football ticket sales alone, even if prices were about the same (just to make the math easier), Ohio State is playing 7 home games x 95,000 tickets x $50 each = $33,250,000. Cal is playing 7 home games x 40,000 tickets x $50 each = $14,000,000. That would be roughly $19 million extra, every year, for Ohio State's athletic budget.

And on top of that is each Big Ten school making a lot more conference money, maybe $10 million/year more, than Tennis Larry is getting for the Pac-12 schools.
ayetee11
Add that we signed 10 year $86 million contract with Under Armour, while Ohio State signed a 15 year $252 million contract with Nike.
mbBear
ayetee11 said:

Add that we signed 10 year $86 million contract with Under Armour, while Ohio State signed a 15 year $252 million contract with Nike.
Great points,on both follow ups to my post. BearSD making math simple...never my strong suit
Number one rule-someone gets a lot of money in college sports, they probably weren't negotiating with a gun to someone's head....they get paid because someone can afford it.
CaliforniaEternal
BearSD said:

Yup. On home football ticket sales alone, even if prices were about the same (just to make the math easier), Ohio State is playing 7 home games x 95,000 tickets x $50 each = $33,250,000. Cal is playing 7 home games x 40,000 tickets x $50 each = $14,000,000. That would be roughly $19 million extra, every year, for Ohio State's athletic budget.

And on top of that is each Big Ten school making a lot more conference money, maybe $10 million/year more, than Tennis Larry is getting for the Pac-12 schools.
$10M more per year? Try $20M+ more per year starting with the 2017 football season when the Big 10's new media contracts went into effect. That's right, Big 10 schools will be receiving ~$51M from their media contracts alone in this fiscal year ending June 30th compared to ~$29M for Pac 12 schools.

This is only the first year of the Big 10's giant increase so expect to see the Pac 12 fall further behind in coaching salaries and other arms race expenses as the Big 10's surpluses increase along with the SEC's.
ColoradoBear
CaliforniaEternal said:

BearSD said:

$10M more per year? Try $20M+ more per year starting with the 2017 football season when the Big 10's new media contracts went into effect. That's right, Big 10 schools will be receiving ~$51M from their media contracts alone in this fiscal year ending June 30th compared to ~$29M for Pac 12 schools.

This is only the first year of the Big 10's giant increase so expect to see the Pac 12 fall further behind in coaching salaries and other arms race expenses as the Big 10's surpluses increase along with the SEC's.
I'd guess that Ohio State FB has revenues well over $100 million dollars if you count a portion of the TV/media dollars as football revenue. Same for probably 10 other schools.
71Bear
CaliforniaEternal said:

BearSD said:

The P5 is now the P2 plus three other guys....

The SEC and Big Ten are lapping the field when it comes to media revenue....

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.