Umm, interesting Cal representative at the Winter Olympics

11,385 Views | 68 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Bears2thDoc
TouchedTheAxeIn82
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Elizabeth Swaney, US citizen, Cal grad, competing for Hungary.

https://sports.yahoo.com/bad-american-skier-games-system-make-olympics-070235305.html

https://www.denverpost.com/2018/02/18/elizabeth-swaney-olympic-halfpipe-contest/

You can see her wearing a Cal t-shirt in this video:
SRBear
Wow, she really went for all the difficult tricks...impressive!
Richmondbear2
Embarrassment to the University
XXXBEAR
I was going to tell you guys to shut up-at least she's in the Olympics, but then I saw the video...
socaliganbear
I'm confused.
evanluck
For those who missed the links to the articles above.

She basically took advantage of the fact that there are more World Cup events than top competitors to participate in them. She largely self-funded traveling around the world participating in Cup events with less that 30 competitors. Through this process she had enough top 30 placements to qualify for the Olympics.

Seems like she has a respectful attitude and is saying all the right things in her interviews.

It is true that in a sport that lacks enough competitors seeing someone of limited skill make the Olympics should increase participation. Not everyone is personally inspired by seemingly super-human skill. Some people are more like, "If she can do it, then maybe I can too."

I'm a supporter!
petalumabear
evanluck said:

She basically took advantage of the fact that there are more World Cup events that top competitors to participate in them. She largely self-funded traveling around the world hitting Cup events with less that 30 competitors. Through this process she had enough top 30 placements to qualify for the Olympics.

Seems like she has a respectful attitude and is saying all the right things in her interviews.

It is true that in a sport that lacks enough competitors seeing someone of limited skill make the Olympics should increase participation. Not everyone is personally inspired by seemingly super-human skill. Some people are more like, "If she can do it, then maybe I can too."

I'm a supporter!
And that is how "Eddie the Eagle" made a name for himself. And the Jamaican bobsled team etc. etc.
ducky23
petalumabear said:

evanluck said:

She basically took advantage of the fact that there are more World Cup events that top competitors to participate in them. She largely self-funded traveling around the world hitting Cup events with less that 30 competitors. Through this process she had enough top 30 placements to qualify for the Olympics.

I'm a supporter!
And that is how "Eddie the Eagle" made a name for himself. And the Jamaican bobsled team etc. etc.

I'd enjoy seeing any of you try doing what Eddie the eagle did or the Jamaican bobsled team
Cal84
Richmondbear2 said:

That seems a bit harsh. Nothing to be proud of, but if a person wants to do this, I say - let them. It's no different than the thousands each year that pay a sherpa company $80k and try to climb Mt Everest (i.e. pay to have sherpas carry their O2, food, tents up a mountain so the payer can leave their trash on the mountain and have a 1 in 3 chance of saying they "climbed" Everest).
bear2034
Darn! i just read an article about her and had a laugh at her foolish performance before ending up at BI and finding out she's a Cal grad?!

ducky23
Cal84 said:

Richmondbear2 said:

That seems a bit harsh. Nothing to be proud of, but if a person wants to do this, I say - let them. It's no different than the thousands each year that pay a sherpa company $80k and try to climb Mt Everest (i.e. pay to have sherpas carry their O2, food, tents up a mountain so the payer can leave their trash on the mountain and have a 1 in 3 chance of saying they "climbed" Everest).

I really have nothing against this woman.

But let's be clear. What she did an intermiedate skier could do.

Climbing mt Everest, ski jumping (and to a lesser extent bobsledding) are all life threatening if attempted by an amateur.
NWBear90
Kind of serious Q: does this earn her a spot in the halftime introduction of "Cal Olympians" next season?
bearister
Cal84 said:

Richmondbear2 said:

Sometimes that trash is their own body. Have you ever researched the term "dead bodies on Everest" in the Google Image library? Ok, I admit it, I'm a sick f*#k. They look like f'ing popsicles for cannibals.
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
ColoradoBear
Ha I read that in the post yesterday and wondered if it would make it on to BI.

I don't think 'mediocre' even begins to describe how bad that run was in comparison to any other competitor's run. Vail sells something like 750k season passes, so here are probably 100k in Denver alone that could do that run with a few weeks to practice on a half pipe.

Not sure if she ended up taking the spot of someone else, or if due tot the quota rules for small countries she created an extra spot. Sounds like the olympics will be closing whatever loophole she used to get in. I guess I find it hilarious as long as she isn't acting like it was a serious effort that got here there - it does show off the absurdity of the qualification rules.

It also seems like she tried competing in skeleton for Venezuela, which looks More impressive than her half pipe run:

Oh and she's a former coxswain for the cal men's rowing team, so I kinda feel like the athletic department should invite her to a football game with all other olympians... she's no William Hung. Or is she?
Son-of-California
The 'athletic' version of 'singer' William Hung.
79 Bear
Clearly not a medal-earning performance but she seems to be a sweet kid with the guts to put herself out there and grab the opportunity to participate in something special.
79 Bear
By the way, these bogus pop-up alerts are happening again. Whereas I previously only got them on my phone I just got one on my desktop. I never seem to get them at any other site. Has anyone worked on tracking and getting rid of these things? I note others have had the same problem recently.
TouchedTheAxeIn82
I'm baffled why anyone here would criticize Swaney. How is what she did any different from what Jahvid Best did? Best was not an Olympic-caliber sprinter, and obviously had no chance to make the US team, so he did what many other athletes do, he found another country to compete for. His PB was exactly the minimum qualifying time to make the Olympics.

Swaney has more motivation than talent, what's wrong with that? After competing in skeleton, she found a sport that was lacking in worldwide competitors and realized she could qualify just by showing up to enough meets. Like Jahvid, she was lucky she could represent a country where competing for a spot on the national team was not a problem. She did the work, and now she can show her grandchildren photographic evidence that she was once an Olympian (she should probably withhold the video evidence).

Did you cheer Jahvid's P7 against Usain Bolt? Are you now jeering Swaney?

Quote:

Racing in the same heat as Usain Bolt, Best clocked 10.39 seconds. Best finished seventh in his heat, and will not advance to the semifinals. Overall, he finished tied for 54th out of 69 runners.

GMP
TouchedTheAxeIn82 said:

I'm baffled why anyone here would criticize Swaney. How is what she did any different from what Jahvid Best did? Best was not an Olympic-caliber sprinter, and obviously had no chance to make the US team, so he did what many other athletes do, he found another country to compete for. His PB was exactly the minimum qualifying time to make the Olympics.

Swaney has more motivation than talent, what's wrong with that? After competing in skeleton, she found a sport that was lacking in worldwide competitors and realized she could qualify just by showing up to enough meets. Like Jahvid, she was lucky she could represent a country where competing for a spot on the national team was not a problem. She did the work, and now she can show her grandchildren photographic evidence that she was once an Olympian (she should probably withhold the video evidence).

Quote:

Racing in the same heat as Usain Bolt, Best clocked 10.39 seconds. Best finished seventh in his heat, and will not advance to the semifinals. Overall, he finished tied for 54th out of 69 runners.

The situations are not remotely the same. Best's personal best, as you said, was the minimum qualifying time. He is Olympic-caliber, though far from medal contending. It's something he worked hard at and has natural ability in. He is in the elite of the elite sprinters in the world - 54th, as you say.

Swaney is a sideshow. She's not trying to do anything but not fall. There's no effort. There's no work. There's no skill. There's no blood, sweat, or tears. There's nothing. Anyone who has skied a few times in their life could go up and down the half pipe like she did. Did you watch the video? What a joke. It's so far beyond the Olympic spirit. She found a loophole and...congrats? She's an Olympian. I'm sure she'll be proud to tell her grandkids some day.
dajo9
I give her credit for learning the rules and gaming the system, all to no harm to anybody
American Vermin
ThesePretzels
Take off that red... I'm not even sure what that is.

I admire her gumption in life.

https://instagr.am/p/BbFzHt3HQ6b

dajo9
That's what happens when you take a Furd and put them in a blender without removing the fur
American Vermin
packawana
So the question is...will Cal Athletics claim her as an Olympian?
GMP
dajo9 said:

I give her credit for learning the rules and gaming the system, all to no harm to anybody

This isn't really accurate. There are 30 spots. She took one of them from someone who, while unlikely* to have a chance to medal, likely worked a lot harder at her craft than Swaney.

*I say unlikely given the story of the Czech snowboarder who qualified for the skiing Super-G and somehow won the gold. https://deadspin.com/czech-snowboarder-borrows-mikaela-shiffrins-skis-someh-1823095253
TheSouseFamily
That run is pretty damn hilarious, I have to admit. So too the announcing of the run.
Another Bear
I'm all for the Olympic spirit and think she should enter...but man, at least learn a couple of tricks. Eddie the Eagle had to at least go down the ski jump like everyone else.
TheSouseFamily
Shame on me for venturing into the comments section in the Yahoo piece but there are a few doozies. Guessing this was linked from Drudge or Breitbart.

"She went to Cal Berkeley..... That says it all.... She probably felt entitled"

"It's really simple - cal-Berk - Harvard, Works in SF - Participation awards are considered triumphant to these types."

"Well she went to Cal-Berkeley so she's used to getting participation trophies"

"She graduated from Cal-Berkeley ".............nuff said."

"She graduated from Cal Berkeley, Harvard and got herself to the Olympics despite not raising any crowd funding money... not gonna judge her at all because regardless of her skiing ability or lack thereof, this girl has accomplished WAY more than the folks criticizing her"

"She graduated from Cal-Berkeley".....There is your Problem"

"The woman graduated Berkeley, Harvard, and went on vacation to the Olympics... Surely, in education alone she's accomplished what many only dream of, so personally I have admiration for her drive in obtaining what she desires."

"She would be from Cal-Berkeley .....she would be a poster child for a Liberal mindset for gaming a " cultural " advantage to get what she wants ...and without a doubt she one day WILL be a Democratic politician from California"

"She graduated from UC Berkley. I guess we should just be happy that she hasn't assaulted anyone with opinions different from herself.....yet!"

"Did it for her participation medal. This is what Berkley manufactures."

"UC Berkley, full stop. enough said"

"Cal-Berkely. Harvard. Democrat uber libturd. Self deluded egoist. Why am I not surprised?"

"This article title could have been "Berkley student competes in Olympics for the participation trophy"

" should of known, Cal-Berkeley"

bross
TheSouseFamily said:

Shame on me for venturing into the comments section in the Yahoo piece but there are a few doozies. Guessing this was linked from Drudge or Breitbart.

"She went to Cal Berkeley..... That says it all.... She probably felt entitled"

"It's really simple - cal-Berk - Harvard, Works in SF - Participation awards are considered triumphant to these types."

"Well she went to Cal-Berkeley so she's used to getting participation trophies"

"She graduated from Cal-Berkeley ".............nuff said."

"She graduated from Cal Berkeley, Harvard and got herself to the Olympics despite not raising any crowd funding money... not gonna judge her at all because regardless of her skiing ability or lack thereof, this girl has accomplished WAY more than the folks criticizing her"

"She graduated from Cal-Berkeley".....There is your Problem"

"The woman graduated Berkeley, Harvard, and went on vacation to the Olympics... Surely, in education alone she's accomplished what many only dream of, so personally I have admiration for her drive in obtaining what she desires."

"She would be from Cal-Berkeley .....she would be a poster child for a Liberal mindset for gaming a " cultural " advantage to get what she wants ...and without a doubt she one day WILL be a Democratic politician from California"

"She graduated from UC Berkley. I guess we should just be happy that she hasn't assaulted anyone with opinions different from herself.....yet!"

"Did it for her participation medal. This is what Berkley manufactures."

"UC Berkley, full stop. enough said"

"Cal-Berkely. Harvard. Democrat uber libturd. Self deluded egoist. Why am I not surprised?"

"This article title could have been "Berkley student competes in Olympics for the participation trophy"

" should of known, Cal-Berkeley"

Pretty funny. If these clowns actually knew anything about UC Berkeley, they would know it is the opposite of a participation trophy culture. No chance any of these commenters could graduate.
Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/benrosssports
Bear19
If the rules allow Elizabeth Swaney to compete, why the hell not go for it? Here is a young woman who wears a red & white monstrosity to a Cal football game "because my dad said to do it." Yes, a true future Nobel Laurette.

Cal admitted her, so we have no one to blame but our admission officers. On the other hand, any publicity is good publicity. Maybe we should just say "thanks for the pub" and be on our way.

Our Ms. Swaney gets to march around in the Opening & Closing Ceremonies, go to some great parties during the week, show off her good looks, probably get a free drink or two if she ever decides to visit Hungry. I say "Go Bear!"

Look, if there aren't enough decent athletes in the world to keep someone like Elizabeth Swaney from qualifying, why is this event even in the Olympics?

The Gold Medal Winner is "Best in the World?" Seriously? The Gold Metal winner is the best out of the only 30 people who even do this silly event. Here is a clip from the winners interview: "[Crying] My parents told me not to decide anything after using my bong, but I had perseverance, and my girlfriends said it was a good idea, and now I'm finally a winner! Now that I have my gold medal, does anyone know where I can get some stash around here?"

Not one of the men's hockey players competing would be in the this Olympics if the NHL hadn't stupidly decided to skip this year. Yeah, yeah, I know, "These are real athletes." Blah blah blah. They are scrubs, bench warmers, retired people, none of whom are good enough to be currently playing in the NHL.

Interesting watching the beer belly curlers pretending to be "Olympic Athletes." They do have the best sound effects though: "YUP YUP YUP! HAAARRRD HARRRDDD! NO!, SOOOFTT, STOOOOPPPP! NO! HARD HARD SOFT HARD SOFT, YUP!"

Next we'll have "Ping Pong While Going Down the Half Pipe on Tuesday When It's Raining" or some other silliness. Well, if that happens, there'll be another sport for Elizabeth to take advantage of to get to the next Olympics.

We get to see the brilliant IOC make the Russians call themselves "Olympic Athletes from Russia." Oh darn, the Russians have to listen to some other song instead of their National Anthem when they win. Oh well. Here is a group of folks who systematically used illegal drugs for years who have to change their uniform name!! Horrors!! Yeah, that will teach them a thing or two about cheating! Hahaha.

Here is a Deadspin article about Swaney. Jump down to the comments, they are very entertaining.

The Winter Olympics Feature 2,951 Of The World's Greatest Athletes, And Also This Woman:

https://deadspin.com/the-winter-olympics-feature-2-951-of-the-world-s-greate-1823138678
MoragaBear
Staff
Seriously, if any of those clowns casting aspersions at Cal had any clue how hard and competitive it is there, they'd keep their yaps shut, all politics aside.

Try participation medaling your way to a decent grade at Cal. That will earn you a D or an F in most classes.
Bear19
MoragaBear said:

Seriously, if any of those clowns casting aspersions at Cal had any clue how hard and competitive it is there, they'd keep their yaps shut, all politics aside.

Try participation medaling your way to a decent grade at Cal. That will earn you a D or an F in most classes.
Of course, you're right, Moraga. But mindshare is mindshare, any pub is good imo. I can just imagine it now: There is a 5 star football player deciding between Cal, U$C, Alabama: "Hmmmm. . . Cal seems like a crazy place. OK, that decided it! Sign me up to be a Bear!"
Bear19
ColoradoBear said:

Oh and she's a former coxswain for the cal men's rowing team
Crew is one of the most grueling sports there is when training. For real. That alone is an actual nontrivial accomplishment.
LunchTime
petalumabear said:

evanluck said:

I'm a supporter!

This is not that.
LunchTime
TouchedTheAxeIn82 said:

Quote:

This is not that.
ColoradoBear
Bear19 said:

ColoradoBear said:

Oh and she's a former coxswain for the cal men's rowing team
Crew is one of the most grueling sports there is when training. For real. That alone is an actual nontrivial accomplishment.
well you do know a coxswain does not actually row.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.