UCLA loses two assistants and Fred Tate finds a new job

4,811 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by LegoBear
71Bear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Hank Fraley, Bruin OL Coach, is leaving to join the Detroit Lion staff. Angus McClure, Bruin TE Coach, is leaving to join the Nevada staff as Asst Head Coach and OL Coach.

Also, former Cal DL Coach Fred Tate, has joined the Austin Peay staff as their new DL Coach.
Bear19
71Bear said:

Hank Fraley, Bruin OL Coach, is leaving to join the Detroit Lion staff. Angus McClure, Bruin TE Coach, is leaving to join the Nevada staff as Asst Head Coach and OL Coach.
I wonder how many recruits signed thinking that Fraley/McClure would be their coaches? The timing on these two leaving is not incidental.
Sebastabear
Bear19 said:

71Bear said:

I wonder how many recruits signed thinking that Fraley/McClure would be their coaches? The timing on these two leaving is not incidental.
Seems pretty sleazy. A bunch of grown men seem to have just lied to a bunch of kids about who their coach would be next year. And people freak out about grad transfers . . .
golden sloth
Sebastabear said:

Bear19 said:

71Bear said:

Seems pretty sleazy. A bunch of grown men seem to have just lied to a bunch of kids about who their coach would be next year. And people freak out about grad transfers . . .
Typical Chip Kelly, he has a reputation for a reason.
PDXCalFan
golden sloth said:

Sebastabear said:

Bear19 said:

71Bear said:

Typical Chip Kelly, he has a reputation for a reason.

To be fair to Chip, Armstead said one of the main reasons he went to Oregon was how honest Chip was about likely leaving before Armstead finished at Oregon. He certainly had some low dealings with Willie Lyles but I haven't heard anyone else say he lied to sign players before leaving.
71Bear
Sebastabear said:

Bear19 said:

71Bear said:

To be fair re: the Fraley move, you need to consider the fact that Matt Patricia could not take the Lion HC job until after the Super Bowl. At that point, he started hiring his staff. I don't know the reasoning for McClure's decision.
ThesePretzels
Angus is a nice guy and good recruiter. But he's historically coached D-Line and O-Line. He only got the TE job in December. So I'm not sure any of the Tight Ends were going to UCLA specifically for him. (most interviews w/ them mention being excited to play in a Chip Kelly offense)

Fraley was not known for recruiting and only coached at UCLA for one year. He lost out on a bunch of potential O-Line recruits, even though their line is so dbad that players could come in and start right away. Their highest rated O-Line recruit almost couldn't go to UCLA because his mom wasn't going to sign his paperwork.

So maybe the recruits are a little bummed. But this isn't a Tosh situation, where recruits had been recruited for years by the guy and were enamored playing for that specific coach.

Better situation for Angus and Fraley, and probably best for the recruits themselves.
socaliganbear
So UCLA held onto them while they signed their class, meanwhile they were looking for gigs for their post NSD dump.
Cal_79
Bear19 said:

71Bear said:

Assistant coaches are nomadic by the nature of their profession... Why is this even surprising to you?
Bear19
Cal_79 said:

Bear19 said:

71Bear said:

Assistant coaches are nomadic by the nature of their profession... Why is this even surprising to you?
It's not surprising to me at all. I pointed out the duplicitous way these two coaches timed their leaving so that recruits would sign with uc los angeles, thinking these two would be their coaches, and then leave after it was too late for the recruits to reevaluate their choice. We're talking a matter of days here. Just another day in Chip Kelly World.
Cal_79
Bear19 said:

Cal_79 said:

Bear19 said:

71Bear said:

It's not surprising to me at all. I pointed out the duplicitous way these two coaches timed their leaving so that recruits would sign with uc los angeles, thinking these two would be their coaches, and then leave after it was too late for the recruits to reevaluate their choice. We're talking a matter of days here. Just another day in Chip Kelly World.

It seems some people are jumping to conclusions and looking for a chance to dump on Chip. When the head coach signs a class and immediately jumps ship, then yeah. But assistants come & go frequently so it's a stretch to believe the kids signed on to ucla for the assistants. Isn't it far more likely the kids signed on for Chip (regardless of the assistants)?
71Bear
Cal_79 said:

Bear19 said:

Cal_79 said:

Bear19 said:

71Bear said:

It seems some people are jumping to conclusions and looking for a chance to dump on Chip. When the head coach signs a class and immediately jumps ship, then yeah. But assistants come & go frequently so it's a stretch to believe the kids signed on to ucla for the assistants. Isn't it far more likely the kids signed on for Chip (regardless of the assistants)?
They have gone beyond jumping to conclusions. They are leaping across the Grand Canyon while grasping at straws. College football is a multi-billion dollar industry. Every player is fully aware of the consequences of signing a Letter of Intent. If he doesn't consider all the possibilities inherent in his decision, he is a damn fool. In essence, if a player is still uncertain of what to do on LOI Day One, he should not sign the Letter.

Roquan Smith is a great example of this strategy. He committed to UCLA but did not sign on LOI Day One. Instead, he waited. And, lo and behold, the asst. coach recruiting him at a UCLA left after LOI Day One and Smith wound up signing an LOI with Georgia. Also, a player can always sign a scholarship agreement once the dust settles after LOI Day One (see D. Robertson - Cal).

I have no pity for any player who is unhappy with his decision because an asst. coach leaves after accepting a signed Letter. Players need to take responsibility for their actions. Of course, once the transfer rules are loosened, this will no longer be an issue.....

Bear19
Cal_79 said:

Bear19 said:

Cal_79 said:

Bear19 said:

71Bear said:

Well, we're speculating about why the kids signed. Recruits often highlight the assistant coach of their area in acceptance comments. Since almost all their time on the field will be spent under the direct supervision of the assistants. In some ways the assistants are are more important than the HC. (When a HC leaves, usually assistants are replaced as well).

Don't forget the cloud Kelly left Oregon under. He's always skated just over the line (nod to the Olympics) in his college career. Just pointing out that the timing of these announcements about leaving uc los angeles were "amazingly" just days after signing day. Obviously these two coaches mislead/lied to their recruits about who would be coaching them. Just sayin.
OdontoBear66
I am not sure about Fraley, but we all knew and discussed how powerful a recruiter McClure is prior to signing day. We knew what his impact was/is with any signing class at any school. We also wanted him quite badly and acknowledged that he maybe wasn't as good a coach as a recruiter, but we need that. So I do not think it is the Grand Canyon we jump across to assume that this was a bit chicken chit on his part to leave right after the signings. I assume Chip would release him with his graces, but only "after". If not why then?

And yes, it is business on part of the athletic departments of schools, but HS recruits although looking at college scholarships are not similarly business savvy. I question the overall morality of what he did. I am also not sure of the suppositions I state, but think it is a pretty good guess.
71Bear
OdontoBear66 said:

I am not sure about Fraley, but we all knew and discussed how powerful a recruiter McClure is prior to signing day. We knew what his impact was/is with any signing class at any school. We also wanted him quite badly and acknowledged that he maybe wasn't as good a coach as a recruiter, but we need that. So I do not think it is the Grand Canyon we jump across to assume that this was a bit chicken chit on his part to leave right after the signings. I assume Chip would release him with his graces, but only "after". If not why then?

And yes, it is business on part of the athletic departments of schools, but HS recruits although looking at college scholarships are not similarly business savvy. I question the overall morality of what he did. I am also not sure of the suppositions I state, but think it is a pretty good guess.
Of course, the beauty of this string is that not one person who has posted, including me, knows the facts of the matter. Everyone is just spouting off without a clue. Righteous indignation is a wonderful thing!
OdontoBear66
71Bear said:

OdontoBear66 said:

Of course, the beauty of this string is that not one person who has posted, including me, knows the facts of the matter. Everyone is just spouting off without a clue. Righteous indignation is a wonderful thing!
Funny how you contort things to make conclusions. Righteous indignation usually does not accompany "I am not sure of the suppositions"...."but think its a pretty good guess"....

Attack the poster, not the concept. Typical.
71Bear
OdontoBear66 said:

71Bear said:

OdontoBear66 said:

Funny how you contort things to make conclusions. Righteous indignation usually does not accompany "I am not sure of the suppositions"...."but think its a pretty good guess"....

Attack the poster, not the concept. Typical.
I guess you missed the word, "everyone" (which includes me) in the penultimate sentence. The final sentence referenced the posters who chose to comment in a decidedly negative manner.

Regardless, UCLA has now hired replacements (one from Boston College, the other from WSU) so I guess we can consider the matter closed.....
LegoBear
Speaking of former Cal guys and coaching, former safety Bert Watts is looking likely to be Fresno St's next DC after their Canadian football guy heads back to the CFL.

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.