2018 Schedule

12,144 Views | 41 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by FuzzyWuzzy
FuzzyWuzzy
How long do you want to ignore this user?

For those of you who have followed our Bears extensively, which of the following 2018 roadies would you recommend, if any? I've been to SC numerous times and it sucks every time.

I would like to visit Boulder for a fb game but, though I could be wrong, I don't think we play them @CU for a few years?

2018 Cal Football Schedule
Day, Date Opponent
Sat., Sept. 1 North Carolina
Sat., Sept. 8 at BYU
Sat., Sept. 15 Idaho State
Sat., Sept. 29 Oregon*
Sat., Oct. 6 at Arizona*
Sat., Oct. 13 UCLA*^
Sat., Oct. 20 at Oregon State*
Sat., Oct. 27 Washington*
Sat., Nov. 3 at Washington State*
Sat., Nov. 10 at USC*
Sat., Nov. 17 Stanford*
Sat., Nov. 24 Colorado*
Fri., Nov. 30 Pac-12 Championship Game**
Home Games In Bold At California Memorial Stadium, Berkeley, CA; *Pac-12 Game; ^Joe Roth Game; **at Levi's Stadium, Santa Clara, CA
calumnus
The home schedule is good this year, if it were me, I'd save my roadies for next year. If I had to choose one-Tucson over Provo.
UCBerkGrad
If you can only make one road game, make it this one:

AunBear89
OH MY OSKI!!! The Joe Roth Game is at Levi's!!! What the f?!?!? Cal admin blah blah. AD sucks blah blah blah....

(sarcasm emoji here)
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." -- (maybe) Benjamin Disraeli, popularized by Mark Twain
LunchTime
There is not a single road game I would go to this year.

Of those, I think OSU, but people in Oregon and Arizona are the worst kind of people.
ColoradoBear
I say hit up Provo for the booze, weed, and loose women.
BearlyCareAnymore
FuzzyWuzzy said:

For those of you who have followed our Bears extensively, which of the following 2018 roadies would you recommend, if any? I've been to SC numerous times and it sucks every time.

I would like to visit Boulder for a fb game but, though I could be wrong, I don't think we play them @CU for a few years?

Day, Date Opponent
Sat., Sept. 8 at BYU
Sat., Sept. 29 Oregon*
Sat., Oct. 6 at Arizona*
Sat., Oct. 13 UCLA*^
Sat., Nov. 10 at USC*
Sat., Nov. 17 Stanford*
Sat., Nov. 24 Colorado*
Home Games In Bold At California Memorial Stadium, Berkeley, CA; *Pac-12 Game; ^Joe Roth Game; **at Levi's Stadium, Santa Clara, CA

Depends. Are you just going to the town for the game or are you going to take a few days with some side trips? If the latter I'd go to BYU and spend a couple days in Moab/Arches National Park. OSU if antiques, covered bridges and bucolic drives are more your thing (not really mine). I haven't been to Tucson or the Palouse and I don't really have interest to go, so I can't help you there.
socaliganbear
They're all road games for me, but I'll save my effort for Oxford the following year.
Sebastabear
We'll go to Provo in our quest to visit every college football stadium in America. Been to all the rest the Bears are playing at this year (except for Washington State and I'm going to save that one for when we play them earlier in the year). Just "visited" the Big House on Monday although given we're in the off-season not sure that really counted. Still a really impressive stadium.
GMP
AunBear89 said:

OH MY OSKI!!! The Joe Roth Game is at Levi's!!! What the f?!?!? Cal admin blah blah. AD sucks blah blah blah....

(sarcasm emoji here)
I can't tell if you're serious, but just in case:

Joe Roth game is at Berkeley vs. UCLA. It's denoted by a ^ - (Joe Roth Game) and a * (Pac-12 Game).

The only game listed with ** (played at Levi's) is the Pac-12 Championship game.

Blueblood
AunBear89 said:

(sarcasm emoji here)

You don't have to tell us you
can't read, aUNbear89, it's
embarrassingly obvious to us
all! AHAHHAHHAAHAHAHAAAAA
travelingbears
Just realized: our bye week is right before we start Pac12 play. It's 9 straight weeks of Pac12 play.

Let's hope we can get it done...
CAL6371
I went to the BYU game at Provo when Boller was our qb. The stadium rental seats are molded plastic and the best I have ever used.
AunBear89
What part of (sarcasm emoji here) confuses you?

Oh, that's right: everything confuses you. Carry on...
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." -- (maybe) Benjamin Disraeli, popularized by Mark Twain
AunBear89
Psst: "(sarcasm emoji here)"
ColoradoBear
AunBear89 said:

what's an emoji though?
calgldnbear
ColoradoBear said:

AunBear89 said:

what's an emoji though?

What's sarcasm ????
AunBear89
Ask the kids on my lawn.
GMP
AunBear89 said:

The reason I said I was unclear was I wasn't sure if you believed the UCLA game was at Levi's and the sarcasm was in only reference to being angry and calling for the AD's head, or if the sarcasm emoji was in reference to all of it. Anyways, carry on.
AunBear89
For further clarity:

https://bearinsider.com/forums/2/topics/78090
FuzzyWuzzy
OaktownBear said:

FuzzyWuzzy said:

Day, Date Opponent
Sat., Sept. 8 at BYU
Sat., Sept. 29 Oregon*
Sat., Oct. 6 at Arizona*
Sat., Oct. 13 UCLA*^
Sat., Nov. 10 at USC*
Sat., Nov. 17 Stanford*
Sat., Nov. 24 Colorado*

Depends. Are you just going to the town for the game or are you going to take a few days with some side trips? If the latter I'd go to BYU and spend a couple days in Moab/Arches National Park. OSU if antiques, covered bridges and bucolic drives are more your thing (not really mine). I haven't been to Tucson or the Palouse and I don't really have interest to go, so I can't help you there.
Thanks. Whether I stay an extra day or two probably depends on what there is to see. I've been to Moab and Arches and I don't think I would extend my stay for that.
FuzzyWuzzy
travelingbears said:

Just realized: our bye week is right before we start Pac12 play. It's 9 straight weeks of Pac12 play.

Bummer, not auspicious.

I just realized that all of our regular season games are scheduled for a Saturday. I guess we won't have any of those Th/Fri night ESPN specials this year.
I Bear
I'm going to the Arizona game as I've never been to Tucson plus I've got a niece there who will be senior there in the fall.
Oski87
FuzzyWuzzy said:

travelingbears said:

Bummer, not auspicious.

I just realized that all of our regular season games are scheduled for a Saturday. I guess we won't have any of those Th/Fri night ESPN specials this year.
I hope that was the Pac 12 reacting to Chancellor Christ comments about that earlier in the year. This is the first year in a long time all the games are on Saturday. I hope she continues to make noise about the crappy scheduling that has an impact (I guess I am assuming it did).
DrDanger
Oski87 said:

FuzzyWuzzy said:

travelingbears said:

Bummer, not auspicious.

I hope that was the Pac 12 reacting to Chancellor Christ comments about that earlier in the year. This is the first year in a long time all the games are on Saturday. I hope she continues to make noise about the crappy scheduling that has an impact (I guess I am assuming it did).

Likely it didn't.
The league signed a contract for quite a few years. Nothing has changed.
It's a one year anomaly. Cal will have Thursday or Friday night next year. Bet on it.
BearSD
DrDanger said:

Oski87 said:

FuzzyWuzzy said:

travelingbears said:

Bummer, not auspicious.

Likely it didn't.
It's a one year anomaly. Cal will have Thursday or Friday night next year. Bet on it.
Yes. Part of this TV contract is that each Pac-12 school agreed to play a home game on Thursday or Friday once every two years. The only accommodation made to the schools in that regard is that the school can choose whether to host on Thursday or Friday.
ColoradoBear
BearSD said:

DrDanger said:

Oski87 said:

FuzzyWuzzy said:

travelingbears said:

Bummer, not auspicious.

Likely it didn't.
Yes. Part of this TV contract is that each Pac-12 school agreed to play a home game on Thursday or Friday once every two years. The only accommodation made to the schools in that regard is that the school can choose whether to host on Thursday or Friday.
Well, to nitpick a bit, it's 2 of 3 years that a school has to host a weeknight game, and the schools DO NOT get to chose whether it will be a Friday or Thursday. Cal and Stanford were able to get a guarantee that they would not play on a Thursday though. While that is good for the campus presumably, it puts Cal at a disadvantage when it comes to bye weeks getting put in weird spots.
BearlyClad
If you watch the weather and it's not snowing by Halloween, go to the Washington State game. Can stay in Spokane. Lots to do, friendly people, game day experience is great. Better than either L.A. venue, for sure.

Avoid Tucson. Unfriendly rude people, and the town is a flippin' graveyard. Nice check-cashing stores populate the dirt and tumbleweeds. That's the positive.

Oregon State friendly people but the game environs is not memorable.

But it would be great to go to any game, particularly if that support helps the team.
MinotStateBeav
I might go to Wazzu or Oregon State but I hate how late in the year they are...for me traveling over the Cascades in October can suck. The best game for me to get to actually might be BYU.
TomBear
I'd choose Corvallis. It's a nice little town, has a real college atmosphere, and (for me at least) I have not been to Reser Stadium since the upgrades so I'd like to see how it's changed.

BYU would be interesting, but I'd take it second after Corvallis.

What I'm really looking forward to is Ole Miss!!!
barabbas
AunBear89 said:

(sarcasm emoji here)
Although, I read the schedule the same way, the Ucla game is supposedly at Memorial Stadium. They should change the way the schedule reads because it is confusing and might cause people not to get season tickets if they think Ucla is in Santa Clara.
nwbear84
The Palouse is beautiful country. If you've not been there you are missing out. November might be a bit late to be enjoyable though.

Fans at OSU are very friendly and it's a nice stadium. Do a weekend in Portland. Great restaurants and breweries.

wifeisafurd
calumnus said:

The home schedule is good this year, if it were me, I'd save my roadies for next year. If I had to choose one-Tucson over Provo.
Bearing in mind Oak's post on visiting surrounding areas, the weather in Tucson will be in the 90's, averaging in the mid 70's in the Wasatch and national parks, and averaging in the low '80s in the Provo Valley on game date with BYU. My personal preference would not be stay in Provo. If you like outdoor activities, plenty of great places to stay close-by.
wifeisafurd
nwbear84 said:

The Palouse is beautiful country. If you've not been there you are missing out. November might be a bit late to be enjoyable though.

Fans at OSU are very friendly and it's a nice stadium. Do a weekend in Portland. Great restaurants and breweries.

The Palouse is beautiful, but also cold, windy and wet in November. The only places to stay are in Moscow Idaho, and it is a pit. WSU is a nice campus, and the adult fans quite nice, and the weather will be awful. I would tell you what Starkey says about visiting WSU, but well, the BI censors will not allow most words.
wifeisafurd
FuzzyWuzzy said:

OaktownBear said:

FuzzyWuzzy said:

Day, Date Opponent
Sat., Sept. 8 at BYU
Sat., Sept. 29 Oregon*
Sat., Oct. 6 at Arizona*
Sat., Oct. 13 UCLA*^
Sat., Nov. 10 at USC*
Sat., Nov. 17 Stanford*
Sat., Nov. 24 Colorado*

Thanks. Whether I stay an extra day or two probably depends on what there is to see. I've been to Moab and Arches and I don't think I would extend my stay for that.
I have a conflict or I would go to Provo, and stay in Park City with my golf clubs.

Instead, blow off all the away games and go to the Grove instead next year. You won't be disappointed.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.