Story Poster
Photo by Pac-12.com
Cal Football

Spring Break is Over: Cal Football back on the practice field

April 4, 2018

Coach Wilcox talked about the first practice after a layoff and the importance of creating a competitive and fun atmosphere at every practice.  He also shared his thoughts on Jordan Kunaszyk, the kicking competition and Patrick Laird's unique approach to practice.

Cal's Offensive Coordinator Beau Baldwin discusses Ross Browers growing command of the offense, Brandon McIlwain big jump in comfort in the offense, Stovall and Robertson's explosion and speed, and the return of Ray Hudson.

Discussion from...

Spring Break is Over: Cal Football back on the practice field

55,452 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Bobodeluxe
Big C
How long do you want to ignore this user?
It was easy to get excited listening to the coaches talking about the players, especially the "new" weapons we will have this fall, such as D-Rob, Stovall and Hudson.

I liked when Baldwin said we will see a "huge jump" from Year One to Year Two, citing that the players are "at Cal for a reason", pointing to his noggin.
bear2034
Pumped me up.
HungryCalBear
I really like Baldwin - saying his excitement is over whichever players on the field, not just the star players. What a great attitude for a coach. I hope he'll stay at Cal a long time. Wishful thinking,
packawana
HungryCalBear said:

I really like Baldwin - saying his excitement is over whichever players on the field, not just the star players. What a great attitude for a coach. I hope he'll stay at Cal a long time. Wishful thinking,

It doesn't look like he's going anywhere in the immediate term now that Leach seems stuck at WSU for at least a while.
Big C
Didn't hear: Early in the interview, Wilcox fielded a question and was talking about "Jordan". Was it Jordan Kunaszyk?
DavisBear
I agree, quality guy and solid coach! Hope we can keep him for a number of years
79 Bear
Big C said:

It was easy to get excited listening to the coaches talking about the players, especially the "new" weapons we will have this fall, such as D-Rob, Stovall and Hudson.

I liked when Baldwin said we will see a "huge jump" from Year One to Year Two, citing that the players are "at Cal for a reason", pointing to his noggin.
Smart, tough players should win plenty of ball games.
Blueblood
Yes, I do like these Cal coaches. They are refreshing.
I can go along with the above posters...but....

I got a little sea sick watching Wilcox's interview. I mean, the guy to the left of Wilcox as well as Coach
Wilcox seemed like they were on a boat on the open sea given the way they kept swaying back and forth.
Beau is honest. The one thing that I took notice of was his comment about the team being a long ways
from where they should be.

If things go the way they say, Cal will run the table on its OOC opponents again.
XXXBEAR
Won't learn much from either of these coaches except a series of cliches and platitudes, but I do like the positivity they both exude-especially Baldwin.How about the running back rotation? New Frosh players? Michigan transfers? Other QBs? JC transfers?
82gradDLSdad
Blueblood said:

I got a little sea sick watch Wilcox's interview. I mean, the guy to the left of Wilcox as well as Coach
Wilcox seemed like they were on a boat on the open sea given the way they kept swaying back and forth.
Beau is honest. The one thing that I took notice of was his comment about the team being a long ways

If things go the way they say, Cal will run the table on its OOC opponents again.

Body language while speaking:

Rocking back and forth Loss of power, you are needing comfort.

Geez, I'm an olympic rocker. I do feel better when I rock while standing. I find it hard to stand still. I prefer to think it as a sign of incredible intelligence. :-)
Rushinbear
82gradDLSdad said:

Blueblood said:

I got a little sea sick watch Wilcox's interview. I mean, the guy to the left of Wilcox as well as Coach

Geez, I'm an olympic rocker. I do feel better when I rock while standing. I find it hard to stand still. I prefer to think it as a sign of incredible intelligence. :-)

Stand with feet wider apart.
79 Bear
82gradDLSdad said:

Blueblood said:

Could also be adrenaline, nol? I find a lot of athletes do that.
bear2034
HungryCalBear said:

Same here, but I'm not 100% convinced after one season. I think he deserves some criticism for not utilizing McMorris more earlier in the season and being too predictable with play calling by allowing for empty backfield sets on 1st/2nd downs. The USC game....yeah, Bowers through the 4 picks, but that was under Baldwin's watch.

Bobodeluxe
Maybe Bowers did not properly work threw his progressions ...
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.