Cal Brand takes a beating

14,890 Views | 99 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Bear19
barabbas
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Never in an athletic context has Cal been called "Berkeley" so much as in the new AD's press conference.
packawana
We're the same school. And we suck at branding. Consistency would be nice.
SFCALBear72
barabbas said:

Never in an athletic context has Cal been called "Berkeley" so much as in the new AD's press conference.
Good grief. Give the man a break. He hasn't started the job yet. He'll learn.
71Bear
barabbas said:

Given the backdrop spelled out Berkeley in very large font and University of California in tiny font, should anyone be surprised. Personally, I prefer Berkeley but I can certainly understand the position held by those who prefer Cal. Regardless, I see this a minor issue in comparison to what really matters.....
BearSD
71Bear said:

barabbas said:

Given the backdrop spelled out Berkeley in very large font and University of California in tiny font, should anyone be surprised. Personally, I prefer Berkeley but I can certainly understand the position held by those who prefer Cal. Regardless, I see this a minor issue in comparison to what really matters.....

Agreed on both counts.

I know some here disagree, but "Berkeley" is an extremely recognized brand and it seems odd to shy away from using it at all.
Bobodeluxe
Many here would be much happier at UC Fresno.
wifeisafurd
maybe this is an attempt at a unified campus. If so, maybe that is better branding.
bear2034
socaliganbear
Cal University in PA....
okaydo
If you were an athletic director from the MWC, which is the greater lure?

1. The Berkeley Brand.

2. The Cal brand.
kjkbear
Berkeley IS the actual brand, at least outside of California and maybe a few western states.

Berkeley sounds like MIT, Cal Tech, Oxford, etc.

The degree says Berkeley, and that says more academically than "Cal," which sadly translates right now to "mediocre" athletically.
auberge
kjkbear said:

Berkeley IS the actual brand, at least outside of California and maybe a few western states.

The degree says Berkeley, and that says more academically than "Cal," which sadly translates right now to "mediocre" athletically.
Incisive and correct.
71Bear
kjkbear said:

Yep. Internationally, no one has heard of Cal but everyone is aware of Berkeley.
Chapman_is_Gone
Oh my God I can't believe you ****ing hacks are about to start debating this topic again. Go outside, go on a hike, hire a prostitute and get laid for ****'s sake.
BearlyCareAnymore
71Bear said:

kjkbear said:

Yep. Internationally, no one has heard of Cal but everyone is aware of Berkeley.

Cal is the nickname that students, alums, and locals use. Probably always will. Probably always should. You get a few hundred miles from campus and no one knows what you are talking about.

Now, as a brand, Cal has represented sports. Pretty much always did, but the school went whole hog with the branding in the 70's when it moved from a block C symbol to a script Cal. In other words, the Cal brand has essentially been associated with losing.

The Berkeley brand has been associated worldwide with academic excellence and is recognized globally.

Hmmm. What to pick? A locally known brand synonymous with losing or an internationally known brand synonymous with excellence.
Big C
Another thing I've been wondering:

How much does Aaron Rodgers like Cal and how much do we like Aaron Rodgers?
CalBarn
BearSD said:

71Bear said:

barabbas said:

Agreed on both counts.

I know some here disagree, but "Berkeley" is an extremely recognized brand and it seems odd to shy away from using it at all.
On Saturday afternoons when scores are posted on TV sports (ESPN, etc.) generally they list us as
"California." I'd just as soon stick to that and market it. People would catch on soon enough if we were
consistent about it. To me, and yes, I'm probably considered an old-timer by now, it's just more classy and dignified than Berkeley, or Cal-Berkeley. "Cal" is fine, too, as a nickname. Truth be told, though "Berkeley" may be recognized worldwide, it still has a somewhat bad connotation around the country, even parts of California. Old stereotypes die hard among the masses.
okaydo
The problem is "Cal" is just too generic.

There's this coach named "Cal." And sports people like to refer to him simply as "Cal." It gets confusing.

I have an ebay alert for "cal" and "memorial stadium," and it turns out there's this other dude named Cal, whom I believe was famous in sports. And he used to play in a place called "Memorial Stadium."

Speaking of eBay, if anybody wants to buy this for me, I will gladly change my stance from pro-Berkeley to anti-Berkeley.

flounder
I was chatting with my boss the other day, from Seattle and went to UDub, he had no idea that Berkeley and Cal are the same school.

Probably doesn't help with recruiting. UCLA is UCLA, USC is USC, Stanfurd is Stanfurd. We are Berkeley, UC Berkeley, Cal, California, the University of California, Berkeley lol.
71Bear
CalBarn said:

BearSD said:

71Bear said:

barabbas said:

Agreed on both counts.

On Saturday afternoons when scores are posted on TV sports (ESPN, etc.) generally they list us as
"California." I'd just as soon stick to that and market it. People would catch on soon enough if we were
consistent about it. To me, and yes, I'm probably considered an old-timer by now, it's just more classy and dignified than Berkeley, or Cal-Berkeley. "Cal" is fine, too, as a nickname. Truth be told, though "Berkeley" may be recognized worldwide, it still has a somewhat bad connotation around the country, even parts of California. Old stereotypes die hard among the masses.
Of course, the part you forgot to mention is that the "masses" are the idiots who have gotten this country into the mess in which it currently finds itself. That tells me everything I need to know about their reaction to the word "Berkeley".
UCBerkGrad
flounder said:

I was chatting with my boss the other day, from Seattle and went to UDub, he had no idea that Berkeley and Cal are the same school.

Probably doesn't help with recruiting. UCLA is UCLA, USC is USC, Stanfurd is Stanfurd. We are Berkeley, UC Berkeley, Cal, California, the University of California, Berkeley lol.

Clearly not a sports fan. Any Pac-12 alum that follows conference sports knows Cal = Berkeley
OdontoBear66
flounder said:

Boss pretty dorky, I imagine. Did he ever follow Husky FB?
okaydo
I didn't know that Stanford was our rival until Cal Day. I didn't know Stanford was in the Bay Area until Cal Day.

I only learned that Cal = Berkeley months before while watching a Cal-UCLA basketball game.

I was only watching a Cal-UCLA basketball game because UCLA was good at the time.
SFCALBear72
flounder said:

He does know that UDub and UW are the same, right? Then again, maybe not.
bluehenbear
Cal84
okaydo said:

>The problem is "Cal" is just too generic.

It goes beyond that. The Berkeley name is so recognized and so valuable overseas that people try to ride on its coat tails. If you get asked by the CEO of a Japanese bank where you got your degree (a common question in both Asia and Europe), then "University of California" is the answer someone who graduated from UCSD gives. "Cal" is the answer that someone from Cal State Fullerton gives. I always say "Berkeley" and then always get the reply "Oh...Berkeley.....that is great...."
socaliganbear
flounder said:

This is either a fake story or your boss is shockingly stupid, given he's from Seattle and went to UW. Either way, he's the one that looks bad in this story, not us.

Also, using your logic, USC is USC (which an SEC school uses and is prevalent back east), University of Southern California (on their seal and official letterhead), SC (which they use in athletic branding) and the always media favorite Southern Cal.

If Cal football or basketball weren't so ducking terrible, this would all be 100% less confusing.
NYCGOBEARS
Chapman_is_Gone said:

Oh my God I can't believe you ****ing hacks are about to start debating this topic again. Go outside, go on a hike, hire a prostitute and get laid for ****'s sake.

I'm with my favorite curmudgeon on this one.
SonomanA1
So we will be known as the Berkeley Bears now?
barabbas
SFCALBear72 said:

barabbas said:

Good grief. Give the man a break. He hasn't started the job yet. He'll learn.

Not blaming anyone, just stating my opinion.
barabbas
wifeisafurd said:

maybe this is an attempt at a unified campus. If so, maybe that is better branding.

Maybe, but you'll have to explain how separating is unifying? Or how alternative colors to represent the campus is unifying? Or how diluting the "Cal brand" is good for athletics? I know several coaches who try not use "Berkeley " at all while recruiting.
packawana
Upon reflecting further, this is the most esoteric, asinine thing about this program and the fact that it gets people into a jumble gets in the way of so much. Just have a consistent brand.

Call it Cal Berkeley if they want in the Cal script, or call it Berkeley with the University of California part made a subscript, or just call it Cal, I don't care. Just choose something and be consistent.
Another Bear
The University of California Berkeley, Cal, Berkeley...it's too big of a concept and place in the mind of America to brand. We're talking hippies, FSM, radicals...and a corporately owned media.

I get we need branding for athletics and the university...but it's going to be difficult.

The only way I see FIXING it, is to only refer to it as THE UNIVERSITY OF CALIFORNIA BERKELEY.

It says it's a university and it says it's Berkeley. You could still refer to it as Cal...***IF*** you have smaller "University of California Berkeley" underneath it in standard print. I know, kind of kills the script Cal...but what do you want, branding and clarity...or confusion?

If this shift ever happened, it would have to be a concerted effort, to always say UNIVERSITY OF CALIFORNIA BERKELEY. Or if it's Cal, then it's Cal - the University of California.
Ncsf
71Bear said:

CalBarn said:

BearSD said:

71Bear said:

barabbas said:

Agreed on both counts.

Of course, the part you forgot to mention is that the "masses" are the idiots who have gotten this country into the mess in which it currently finds itself. That tells me everything I need to know about their reaction to the word "Berkeley".
The masses would disagree with you. Keep disregarding them.
iwantwinners
BearSD said:

71Bear said:

barabbas said:

Agreed on both counts.

"Cal" or "University of California" is confusing to most who are unfamiliar with the California school system. "Cal Berkeley" seems to be the most effective branding term for the school -- sports or academics.

There are many "University of Californias"... "Berkeley" is the distinguishable and most recognizable term. You wouldn't refer to UCLA as anything but...Cal is technically UCB, which is not very distinguishable.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.