Way too early predictions on a game by game basis

6,932 Views | 44 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Blueblood
wifeisafurd
How long do you want to ignore this user?
NC close win at home, as Cal plays conservative
BYU close win on road in physical game (BYU is in a bit of a down mode - lost to all power 5 teams it played last year, sometime badly).
Idaho State: win with playing time for many
Oregon. Cal beats a talented but still devolving Oregon team in somewhat of a surprise to many. Cal's ground game and stout defense (I can't believe I used the word stout and Cal defense in the same sentence) are the difference. Cal now is considered not a team to take lightly.
UofA Cal lets the game get away (strange things always happen there). Defense has trouble with UofA QB.
UCLA: Cal then surprises UCLA with a surprisingly easy victory. UCLA still has weaknesses in certain areas, which Cal exploits.
OSU: An ugly win.
Udub: An ugly loss
WSU: This is a tough one up there. A toss-up in my mind, with WSU still smarting from the 2017 game. WSU still has a good defense, but I'm not sure where they are at QB. I'm going to say WSU wins in a frustrating game and bad weather.
USC. This may be a better game than most expect. I think Sc is a bit down this year due to graduation at key positions. Cal pulls off the stunner and eats burgers at nearby Shake Shack.
Furd. In this up and down season, Cal loses a heartbreaker to Furd. Furd ground game and Costello bombs simply too much, in a close game
Colorado. Resilient Cal team lays the wood on Ralphie and company.

8 wins, but not in a predictable manner. Cal does well against skill teams, but losses mostly to teams who still are more physical (Udub, Furd) or novel offenses on the road (WSU and UofA). Cal goes bowling at Foster Farms bowl. I'm assuming better QB play, and better offense, with a somewhat better than average defense as the defense continues to make progress. Special teams will be inconsistent at least on the kicking side. Lack of depth on defense may become problematic in later games. Stay healthy on defense, this is a good season.

This has to be better than Wilner. In any event, what say you guys?
socaliganbear
Wazzu is the most perplexing imo. Leach + Grinch was great. Leach without Grinch was a hot mess. Not sure what to expect from them next year.
71Bear
wifeisafurd said:

BYU close win on road in physical game (BYU is in a bit of a down mode - lost to all power 5 teams it played last year, sometime badly).
Oregon. Cal beats a talented but still devolving Oregon team in somewhat of a surprise to many. Cal's ground game and stout defense (I can't believe I used the word stout and Cal defense in the same sentence) are the difference. Cal now is considered not a team to take lightly.
UofA Cal lets the game get away (strange things always happen there). Defense has trouble with UofA QB.
UCLA: Cal then surprises UCLA with a surprisingly easy victory. UCLA still has weaknesses in certain areas, which Cal exploits.
WSU: This is a tough one up there. A toss-up in my mind, with WSU still smarting from the 2017 game. WSU still has a good defense, but I'm not sure where they are at QB. I'm going to say WSU wins in a frustrating game and bad weather.
USC. This may be a better game than most expect. I think Sc is a bit down this year due to graduation at key positions. Cal pulls off the stunner and eats burgers at nearby Shake Shack.
Furd. In this up and down season, Cal loses a heartbreaker to Furd. Furd ground game and Costello bombs simply too much, in a close game

8 wins, but not in a predictable manner. Cal does well against skill teams, but losses mostly to teams who still are more physical (Udub, Furd) or novel offenses on the road (WSU and UofA). Cal goes bowling at Foster Farms bowl. I'm assuming better QB play, and better offense, with a somewhat better than average defense as the defense continues to make progress. Special teams will be inconsistent at least on the kicking side. Lack of depth on defense may become problematic in later games. Stay healthy on defense, this is a good season.

UO has the best returning QB in the conference (I think better than Browning). They will be a tough out this year. UO over Cal. Otherwise, I could see the rest of the schedule going the way you called. I do believe that we will see one big upset this year. Why not SC? Seven wins and a bowl game.......
Big C
I say the title of your post was especially accurate.

This is a 7-5 team, if we stay mostly healthy. I don't see us going lower than 6-6, unless we are beset by injuries in all the wrong places. We could go 8-4, if everything were to fall into place.
Cal89
I'm already on record here for 6-1 to 7-0 start.
Sig test...
BearGoggles
I think WSU is in for trouble this year. They had a really tough offseason. Falk gone, back up qb commits suicide, defensive coach leaves (might be the biggest issue) and Leach (in Sonny Dykes fashion) pretty much accepted the Tennessee job that, it turns out, was not officially offered.

I wish Cal played U$C earlier this year. We never seem to get the right timing for that game. My guess is that by the time we play them, they will have figured out the QB situation, Cal will be bitten by they typical injuries, and USC's better depth and overall talent will be the difference.

I think this could be the year Cal catches Stanford. I feel better about that game actually - I think Cal's re-tooled defense matches up better against Furd than U$C.
calbear80
For 2018 Season:

7 wins and a bowl game: Happy.

8 wins and a win over LSJU or U$C or UC Westwood: Very Happy.

9 wins and ....: I am too old for another heart break.

Go Bears!
Richard__Lee
wifeisafurd said:

What should happen: 10-2, with losses only to USC and one of Washington or Oregon.

What probably will happen: 8-4, with losses to USC, UW, Oregon, and probably Stanford.
You can’t spell NCAA without N-C-A-A.
Bear8
i am of record at 9-3, with losses to Wash, AZ and SC.
Bobodeluxe
Who knows.

Wait! Richard_Lee? What? Where are Drunk and the rest of the Kool-Aid free gang?
BearSD
BearGoggles said:

Leach (in Sonny Dykes fashion) pretty much accepted the Tennessee job that, it turns out, was not officially offered.
Leach went after one big job after his AD had already left for Nebraska. That's not equivalent to Dykes whoring himself out at every job opening during his last two-plus years at Cal.
socaliganbear
The interesting part of the Leach ordeal is they gave him a bump to $4M, after he publicly tried to jump ship. Much like we did. Schools betting against themselves for coaches that don't want to stay there.

From The Wazzu Site
FloriDreaming
It is way, way too early. And game-by-game, forget it.

In general I'd say Cal with a new QB is 6-7 wins with 6 most likely. Cal with Bowers again is 5-6 wins with 5 most likely.
BearGoggles
BearSD said:

BearGoggles said:

Leach (in Sonny Dykes fashion) pretty much accepted the Tennessee job that, it turns out, was not officially offered.
Leach went after one big job after his AD had already left for Nebraska. That's not equivalent to Dykes whoring himself out at every job opening during his last two-plus years at Cal.
Remarkable you could be wrong on both counts.

Leach was looking at multiple jobs - he was linked pretty much every major opening. He got furthest along with Tennessee (reportedly offered the job by the AD who was fired right after), but he was doing his best to escape WSU.

Moreover, Dykes looked to leave after the AD who hired him (Sandy Barbour) had been dispatched. Not defending Dykes's behavior, but in point of fact the Leach situation is very similar (and will be again the next off season when Leach desperately attempts to leave).
tequila4kapp
No predictions from me until we see what kind of development / improvement we are going to have at QB. God forbid we actually see regression, this could be a rough 4 win type season.
Cal89
tequila4kapp said:

No predictions from me until we see what kind of development / improvement we are going to have at QB. God forbid we actually see regression, this could be a rough 4 win type season.
Heck, even with no to minimal QB development or maturation, which should be expected, just having some speed at receiver, playmakers, should make for a positive difference. A green QB, learning a new offensive system, with arguably our least experienced and talented receiving corp on the field in quite a few years; all behind an offensive line that concerned us...

We were 117th in 2017 in sacks allowed per game (114th including OOC games).

And, was Ross Bowers really that bad, first season at QB aside?

His stats from conference games:

249 passing yards per game
6.4 yards per attempt
58.6% completion percentage
13/8 TD to INT ratio
120 QB rating

No, not good, but not exactly bad, and for a first year QB with the aforementioned challenges in 2017, I see the potential for nice upside for Ross and this offense. Just went back to look at Goff's first season stats, as per the above:

243 passing yards per game
6.0 yards per attempt
59.7%
11/6 TD to INT ratio
117 QB rating

No, not saying that we have the next first round draft pick leading our offense, but his stats, for a first season as our starter, are comparable to the likes of Goff, generally better actually. Let's not forget that Bowers was sacked 35 times on 476 attempts. Goff was sacked less (33x), on a massive 620 attempts. That's a noteworthy difference. Our 2017 running game produced a very poor 3.28 yards per carry in conference play. In 2013, it was 3.64.

I compare to Goff because he is our most recent QB who started his collegiate career as a Cal QB. Webb of course was a veteran, grad transfer...

Despite being sacked more often, having a less effective running attack to lean on, less skilled receivers on the field (no Harper or Treggs) to go to, Bowers, statistically, performed favorably to Goff's first season.

Again, I'm not painting the picture that we have a star in the making; but I find it rather unjustifiable to knock Bowers. tequilla4kapp, "this" is not directed at you per se...

I have very high hopes for this offense under Baldwin, and I'll say it again, that I believe he will be our most coveted coordinator in quite a while.
Sig test...
Big C
Hard to make the comparison with Goff, as it was Bowers' third year at Cal, versus Goff's true freshman year.

That said, I agree with your premise. If Bowers wins the job, we can expect his performance to be better, because of his added experience and also because of more versatile receivers to throw to. The O-line should be at least as good. Second year with the same OC should be a plus, too.

I wanna see what this offense can do with healthy years from D-Rob and Patrick Laird. That'll be key.

Cal89
Agreed that Bowers being older when he started is a factor of note. He was 20 years old as our QB last year. Goff was 19 during his maiden voyage as our starter...

Ross Bowers has a moxie about him that I really like. His response to the other team scoring, after receiving a big hit, making an ill-advised pass, has impressed me. He's a tough-minded gamer and I anxiously wait to see what he can do in 2018, if he's selected as our starter...

Last year Cal was one of the least experienced teams according to Phil Steele, at 110th. In the Pac-12, 11th, with only Utah being younger or lesser experienced...

The second year under HC Wilcox and staff should make for a pop too. I'm feeling a 6-1 to 7-0 start for our Golden Bears.
Sig test...
going4roses
is Dykes the coach here now? NO so MOVE ON ... What ever number of wins we get this year will be with players he recruited for the most part.

Hating on him, bad mouthing him does not make anything better for this program nor this team going forward.

Look forward and be happy we have Wilcox now.

Tell someone you love them and try to have a good day
dajo9

NC - Win
BYU - Win
Idaho St - Win
Oregon - Loss
UofA - Loss
UCLA - Win
OSU - Win
UW - Loss
WSU - Win
USC - Loss
Furd - Win
Colorado - Win

8 - 4 with a bit of faith on the Stanford game. Could easily be 5-7.
American Vermin
socaliganbear
dajo9 said:

NC - Win
BYU - Win
Idaho St - Win
Oregon - Loss
UofA - Loss
UCLA - Win
OSU - Win
UW - Loss
WSU - Win
USC - Loss
Furd - Win
Colorado - Win

8 - 4 with a bit of faith on the Stanford game. Could easily be 5-7.
I could buy into this.
Blueblood
As for how well Cal will do against its conference brethren, I thought it greatly dependent upon the overall QB development not only for Cal but especially for its opponents.

As I've pointed out previously, I think it is entirely possible that Cal could repeat last year's accomplishment by going 3-0 against the Bears' OOC opponents.

Oregon- Even though the game is at Berkeley, I think the Ducks still have too much talent (especially with a healthy Herbert) this early in the season for Cal. This is most likely a LOSS.

Arizona- If Cal's newfound defense can corral the 'zona QB, this may be a win for Cal, but it is an away-game at night in Tucson, so Cal could just as easily flub it up too. There is a big question about whether or not 'zona's OL can offer any pass protection. If not, Cal will face a rushing tidal wave from the same cast of characters as last year, i.e., QB Tate (148 yds), Green (130 yds), and short yardage guy 6'-2", 215 JJ Taylor. For now, I believe this is a Cal LOSS.

UCLA- If Chip Kelly is what they say he is, then the bruins will be more than competitive with ex-Michigan grad transfer QB Wilton Speight, who has a lot stronger arm than Ross. Thus, if at this juncture the bruins are not too discombobulated with Kelly's new system, Cal LOSES this one.

Oregon State- Even though played in Corvallis, Cal should be able to handle fellow-mediocre North division compadre for a WIN.

Washington- UDub with Browning should be far and away the better team. This is a LOSS.

Washington State- This game is at Pullman so I hope the Bears don't "coug" it. But, although Falk is gone, I think sly ol'Leach will solve his QB woes by this game with one of his 5 candidates, which include East Carolina grad transfer Gardner Minshew and an incredible **** QB Cammon Cooper. The Curse befalls Cal for a LOSS.

USC- This game will be in L.A., so it's a traditional Cal LOSS.

stanfurd- With (I presume) a more experienced Costello (or even Richardson) at qb and with a healthy Love, we are looking once again at another Cal LOSS.

Colorado- If QB Steven Montez is still healthy by this game, the Buffs will give Cal a good game. Even if so, I give Cal the home field advantage and a WIN.

I guess Cal is looking at a 5-7 season (wherein look for "Buy him out!" chants during Wilcox's fourth season), but if Ross turns out to be more than adequate, Cal could possibly add three more wins ('zona, ucla, and WSU) to its total for a 8-4 bowl season! (or...we'll be saying "where are all those bricks that we bought for Sonny's statue...we can use them for Justin's!")
71Bear
Blueblood said:

As for how well Cal will do against its conference brethren, I thought it greatly dependent upon the overall QB development not only for Cal but especially for its opponents.

As I've pointed out previously, I think it is entirely possible that Cal could repeat last year's accomplishment by going 3-0 against the Bears' OOC opponents.

Oregon- Even though the game is at Berkeley, I think the Ducks still have too much talent (especially with a healthy Herbert) this early in the season for Cal. This is most likely a LOSS.

Arizona- If Cal's newfound defense can corral the 'zona QB, this may be a win for Cal, but it is an away-game at night in Tucson, so Cal could just as easily flub it up too. There is a big question about whether or not 'zona's OL can offer any pass protection. If not, Cal will face a rushing tidal wave from the same cast of characters as last year, i.e., QB Tate (148 yds), Green (130 yds), and short yardage guy 6'-2", 215 JJ Taylor. For now, I believe this is a Cal LOSS.

UCLA- If the Chip Kelly is what they say he is, then the bruins will be more than competitive with ex-Michigan grad transfer QB Wilton Speight, who has a lot stronger arm than Ross. Thus, if at this juncture the bruins are not too discombobulated with new Kelly's system, Cal LOSES this one.

Oregon State- Even though played in Corvallis, Cal should be able to handle fellow-mediocre North division compadre for a WIN.

Washington- UDub with Browning should be far and away the better team. This is a LOSS.

Washington State- This game is at Pullman so I hope the Bears don't "coug" it. But, although Falk is gone, I think sly ol'Leach will solve his QB woes by this game with one of his 5 candidates, which include East Carolina grad transfer Gardner Minshew and an incredible **** QB Cammon Cooper. The Curse befalls Cal for a LOSS.

stanfurd- With (I presume) a more experienced Costello (or even Richardson) at qb and with a healthy Love, we are looking once again at another Cal LOSS.

Colorado- If QB Steven Montez is still healthy by this game, the Buffs will give Cal a good game. Even if so, I give Cal the home field advantage and a WIN.

I guess Cal is looking at a 5-7 season (wherein look for "Buy him out!" chants during Wilcox's fourth season), but if Ross turns out to be more than adequate, Cal could possibly add three more wins ('zona, ucla, and WSU) to its total for a 8-4 bowl season! (or...we'll be saying "where are all those bricks that we bought for Sonny's statute!")

Agree if Bowers is the QB. However, given that I don't believe that he will be, I'm a bit more optimistic. The key to this season is finding a QB who doesn't stare down his primary target and can throw the ball more than 20 yards accurately. Bowers is not the guy. Can McIlwain or Garbers meet the challenge?
dajo9
71Bear said:

Blueblood said:

UCLA- If the Chip Kelly is what they say he is, then the bruins will be more than competitive with ex-Michigan grad transfer QB Wilton Speight, who has a lot stronger arm than Ross. Thus, if at this juncture the bruins are not too discombobulated with new Kelly's system, Cal LOSES this one.

I guess Cal is looking at a 5-7 season (wherein look for "Buy him out!" chants during Wilcox's fourth season), but if Ross turns out to be more than adequate, Cal could possibly add three more wins ('zona, ucla, and WSU) to its total for a 8-4 bowl season! (or...we'll be saying "where are all those bricks that we bought for Sonny's statute!")

Agree if Bowers is the QB. However, given that I don't believe that he will be, I'm a bit more optimistic. The key to this season is finding a QB who doesn't stare down his primary target and can throw the ball more than 20 yards accurately. Bowers is not the guy. Can McIlwain or Garbers meet the challenge?

Strange take as Bowers is our best quarterback
American Vermin
Sebastabear
71Bear said:

Blueblood said:

So I'll split the difference. I think Ross is going to be the guy and I think we'll overachieve BB's predictions. Off the top of my head I like our chances a lot more against UCLA (moving from a modified pro set to a pure spread is a big deal - I don't think Kelly will have the pieces in place in year one) and Stanford (no way Love is still playing in November. Costello is a stiff. We get the axe back). I also think WSU, AZ and Oregon are a lot closer to be toss-ups. So yeah, 5-7 is a floor and an unlikely one.

On Bowers, I'm reading the tea leaves coming out of Spring camp. He's going to be the guy and he looks like he's made some significant strides from last year (and honestly that flip into the endzone last year was awesome - want to see more of that). Of course, I could be wrong . . . there's always a first time . But I'll take odds at Ross being under Center in our first game of the season.
71Bear
dajo9 said:

71Bear said:

Blueblood said:

Geez, I hope not. If so, Cal is looking at a very disappointing season....
wifeisafurd
71Bear said:

dajo9 said:

71Bear said:

Blueblood said:

I'm not so sure Baldwin doesn't do a Shaw and allow the QBs to play in games, and pick the guy who clicks. Hopefully he takes less games than Shaw does, to do so.
71Bear
wifeisafurd said:

71Bear said:

dajo9 said:

71Bear said:

Blueblood said:

HGAs for how well Cal will do against its conference brethren, I thought it greatly dependent upon the overall QB development not only for Cal but especially for its opponents.

I'm not so sure Baldwin doesn't do a Shaw and allow the QBs to play in games, and pick the guy who clicks. Hopefully he takes less games than Shaw does, to do so.
I would not be surprised if we see a reprise of 2003. Although Rodgers was the better QB, JT played Robertson until it got to a point where a change had to be made. Rodgers stepped in and the rest is history. Although Bowers may start the season, I expect a transition to either Garbers or McIlwain at some point in September. We shall see.....
FloriDreaming
71Bear said:

Blueblood said:

I agree a QB other than Bowers will improve the offense. However, this needs to be offset by the reality that this new QB will have less experience with the system. So I'd say realistically a new QB gives the Bears probably a net of 1 more win. The benefit of a new QB would really be seen next season when the net differential would be substantial.

I also don't share BB's assessment of UCLA. Kelly isn't going to solve UCLA's biggest problem - defense. Transitioning offenses never goes smoothing in year one, and the UCLA running game is pretty bad. Plus the Bruins save their worst game of the season for their trip to Berkeley, regardless of the coach. OTOH, this would likely be offset by either OOC loss (BYU is likely to be a lot better than last season) or flubbing in Corvallis so 5-6 wins still seems like a safe bet.
Blueblood
71Bear said:

I would not be surprised if we see a reprise of 2003. Although Rodgers was the better QB, JT played Robertson until it got to a point where a change had to be made. Rodgers stepped in and the rest is history. Although Bowers may start the season, I expect a transition to either Garbers or McIlwain at some point in September. We shall see.....
I think that what you feel could happen would only happen if Cal loses to UNC or BYU, or worse, to both, then gets destroyed by Oregon in Eugene. And, in order for this to happen, something more than Ross having retrograde performances would have to happen, like Ross consistently missing an open Demetris on long balls or over throwing Stovall on short passes or with Laird getting repeatedly stuffed. In any event, I agree that if such things were to happened it wouldn't look too good for Cal bringing in a new inexperienced QB to face 'zona in Tucson or even Kelly's ucla.
killa22
Uthaithani said:

71Bear said:

Blueblood said:

I agree a QB other than Bowers will improve the offense. However, this needs to be offset by the reality that this new QB will have less experience with the system. So I'd say realistically a new QB gives the Bears probably a net of 1 more win. The benefit of a new QB would really be seen next season when the net differential would be substantial.

I also don't share BB's assessment of UCLA. Kelly isn't going to solve UCLA's biggest problem - defense. Transitioning offenses never goes smoothing in year one, and the UCLA running game is pretty bad. Plus the Bruins save their worst game of the season for their trip to Berkeley, regardless of the coach. OTOH, this would likely be offset by either OOC loss (BYU is likely to be a lot better than last season) or flubbing in Corvallis so 5-6 wins still seems like a safe bet.
Kelly might not be able to solve UCLA's defensive woes, but Azzinaro will certainly turn that situation around. Dude is far too good of a coach to not improve what they are doing, and it is not as if they are truly talent deficient.

The true key for us next year will be how the Offense fares. I would imagine that Y2 for the O would yield a higher level of productivity due to experience gained at key positions (QB in especial) and the greater familiarity of personnel / conference tendencies from the offensive coaching staff.

I believe that Ross will take a big step in improvement -- and that the wider arsenal of weapons to work with will allow for greater production. The question comes down to RB and TE depth -- we are still predominantly a singleback team, but those two back or H-back sets with Malik, coupled with Demetris on the outside could seriously open up the downfield vertical game off of Play Action.

Looking to me like we should be improved in straight drop-back pass-pro as well, which always is a good thing. It's gonna come down to effectively running the ball to protect the pass game and to open up shot plays off of Play Action, and execution at the QB position on the routine play (screen game for instance). Consistency in execution and not turning the ball over are key.

While its nice to have a mobile qb to balance the math in the run game and open the explosive broken play, I think that execution of the routine play takes precedence in this scheme. The good thing is that Baldwin has shown that he can work with all types of qbs.
Big C
71Bear said:

wifeisafurd said:

71Bear said:

dajo9 said:

71Bear said:

Blueblood said:

HGAs for how well Cal will do against its conference brethren, I thought it greatly dependent upon the overall QB development not only for Cal but especially for its opponents.

That would also be like Fred Besana/Joe Roth in 1975. It worked then and it worked in 2003, though it tends to defy "conventional wisdom". Personally, I think, if there's not a clear-cut difference, this is an okay way to go. You end up having two guys that have had meaningful playing time, as well as ending up with the best guy (instead of guessing).
GMP
Big C said:

71Bear said:

wifeisafurd said:

71Bear said:

dajo9 said:

71Bear said:

Blueblood said:

That would also be like Fred Besana/Joe Roth in 1975. It worked then and it worked in 2003, though it tends to defy "conventional wisdom". Personally, I think, if there's not a clear-cut difference, this is an okay way to go. You end up having two guys that have had meaningful playing time, as well as ending up with the best guy (instead of guessing).
The only reason it makes sense to me is if the "more talented" guy is not ready mentally/with the playbook. Otherwise you run the risk of the "less talented" guy playing well, and then finding yourself in the position of, once the "more talented" guy is ready, having to either pull a player who is performing well because you suspect his replacement is a star, or leaving a potential star on the bench.

I doubt we'd see a reprise of 2003 this year. Unlike 2003, both Garbers and McIlwain have been here long enough that they should understand the system/playbook by the start of the season. If they aren't starting the first game of the season, it's because they got beat out (this is not to say we can't see a midseason change; it's just saying I don't think we have a 2003 situation here; the result may be the same, but the reason we get there wouldn't be).

Even in a 2003 situation, it's rarely the right move, in my opinion. Ultimately, conference games are what matter. Non-conference games should be used to get ready for the conference season. Who knows. If Rodgers had started all along in 2003, maybe he doesn't have the stinker against Oregon State. Maybe the team rides that confidence and pulls out that game at UCLA. Maybe they don't crumble after the power outage in Eugene. Who knows*. Point is - if you think one guy is better but not ready, if you think he can get ready through trial by fire, I think you should do that.

*By the way, if we win just 2 of those 3, we win the conference and go to the Rose Bowl.
FloriDreaming
71Bear said:

dajo9 said:

71Bear said:

Blueblood said:

It's very possible that Bowers is the best QB and that he's still Bowers (as in a very mediocre QB) and that Cal's QB situation really is that bad. (Made worse by the fact Cal landed ZERO QBs in the last class.) If all that is true, the season will be bad and Wilcox deserves the full blame for it.

We all saw the "offense" last season. That's what not having a decent QB gets you in the Pac 12. And it's not like the Pac 12 was a defensive monster, in fact it was one of the worst conference defenses in P5. Even ASU's lousy QB looked decent last season.

We'll have to see how things go. If Bowers is behind center this season, more likely than not it'll be Justin Vedder 2.0. Which would make Coach Wilcox Tom Holmoe 2.0. I'd like to think Wilcox is a better coach than that, but this is his baby and we'll just have to see how things turn out.

One of the concerns going in with hiring someone like Wilcox is Cal ends up with a Sonny Dykes with the field flipped - an unbalanced team that focuses on defense at the expense of winning, as opposed to an unbalanced offensive team. Neither is good. We saw signs of this imbalance last year - this year we'll either see major improvement or confirmation of that coaching imbalance. This season will be an accurate reflection of how good Coach Wilcox is and there will be no reason for excuses.
going4roses
Hmm
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.