Spam or phishing pop-ups

1,731 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Bobodeluxe
travelingbears
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Hey mods - I still get spam of phishing pop-ups when I visit this site via phone. I enjoy coming here nearly daily, but these types of pop-ups seriously make me not want to risk coming here. (It's the typical pop-up where you can 'X' out pretty easily; instead, it's a pop-up that talks about phone security and seems super phishy.)

Can someone explain why these pop-ups are only happening on this site (and not the hundreds of other sites I visit)?
Bear19
BI is a smaller discussion board with limited resources - the other sites you're visiting are likely scaled up in terms of security & admin resources.

I know that in the last week there have been several separate threads that are malware/phishing attacks on FG & MBB. I alerted BearGreg to the posts which he immediately removed. I always post a warning not to click on any of the links in these posts. Clicking on a link in the post triggers the malware.

I had to stop using Android Chrome on BI as it is too vulnerable to attacks, and now use DuckDuckGo (DDG), which is the safest Android browser I could find. It erases all traces of activity, cookies, blocks ads, etc. You might try DDG. There downside is you'll have to sign in each time as DDG won't retain your sign in ID & PW.

I believe our admin is working on tightening the server firewall to stop these malware posts (he hasn't told me that, a supposition on my part).

You should probably uninstall your phone browser, & delete all its data before reinstalling it just to be safe. Getting a good password/id manager (e.g. LastPass or SafeInCloud) instead of using your browser to fill in IDs/PWs is highly recommended.

Hope this helps.
blungld
I don't think the source is links within posts or the threads themselves. I suspect it is embedded in the ads or in the site itself.
Bobodeluxe
I eat eurowiki's for breakfast.
bearister
Bobodeluxe said:

He can broker one of those duet pee dates.
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
UrsusTexicanus
Bobodeluxe said:

I just flagged another one. How do they taste with spam?
bearister
UrsusTexicanus said:

Bobodeluxe said:

I just flagged another one. How do they taste with spam?

Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
prospeCt

BearGreg
Staff
travelingbears said:

Hey mods - I still get spam of phishing pop-ups when I visit this site via phone. I enjoy coming here nearly daily, but these types of pop-ups seriously make me not want to risk coming here. (It's the typical pop-up where you can 'X' out pretty easily; instead, it's a pop-up that talks about phone security and seems super phishy.)

Can someone explain why these pop-ups are only happening on this site (and not the hundreds of other sites I visit)?
This is not related to the EuroWiki posts. This is the same issue being discussed in another thread. Our ad network provider recently switched technologies and clearly they have introduced an issue around mobile use of BI. We're working with them to get it resolved ASAP
hanky1
Just got another spam ad about Amazon advertisement but it's clearly a fake Amazon site. The ad locks me out of my browser and I have no choice but to close the entire browser and whatever other tabs I have open in order to clear it. This is getting out of hand guys.
Bobodeluxe
I'm having Spam, eggs, sausage and Spam.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.