Stovall transfers to Arizona Western

11,276 Views | 65 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Goobear
grrrah76
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Did anyone see this coming?
GMP
grrrah76 said:

Not a good day for Cal sports; so, like every other day, I guess.
cal93
Don't let the door hit you on the way out. I usually respect decisions, but this one is a head-scratcher.
Kinderhook
I am perplexed that there was an interview with the player on this site yesterday. Insiders? Too funny.
KoreAmBear
LOL -- every day is Cal day. Another punch to the nuts.
KoreAmBear
Kinderhook said:

I am perplexed that there was an interview with the player on this site yesterday. Insiders? Too funny.
I guess maybe there was something to why he was twitching every time he was asked "how do you see the future?"
TheSouseFamily
Arizona Western is a JC, right?

Edit: yes, it's a JC.
concernedparent
Academics? Can't see this making sense otherwise.
grrrah76
Arizona Western is a Junior College that finished third in the NJCAA. To go from committing to $C, signing with Cal, on the eve of a break out year, to transferring to a junior college is confusing. Pretty disappointing for Cal, but hope it works out for him.
Big C
Yes, SOMETHING was going on. Just too bizarre the way he came in as a touted true-freshman starter and then pretty much disappeared, effective November of that season (yes, I know there were injuries).

Really weird about the feature article here though. Coincidentally, that was what finally got me to sign up for premium, as I had been so curious about his situation. Crazy.
Alkiadt
grrrah76 said:

From what I know, I'm surprised he lasted at Cal this long.
He didn't fit with the staff, take it for what its worth.
dinan3
Yeah, maybe the last of the Dykes fall outs.......

Not sure he ever had his head in the game.
71Bear
concernedparent said:

It makes perfect sense. If he transferred directly to another FBS program, he would not be eligible to play until 2019. This way, he can play in 2018 at the JC level and transfer to an FBS program and still play in 2019.

He loses nothing in terms of being eligible to play for an FBS program and gains the opportunity to put something in film in 2018.

A lot of guys do this - it is the smart route.....
Meister Petz
What 71Bear said. Stovall can play at Arizona Western College this fall, because it's a junior college and sign with a FBS school in 2019 with two years left to play.
packawana
Can anyone shed any light on this? Is it this a 'best for all parties' sort of thing or are we losing out?

On a side note, I have to say that our WR depth has really taken a hit this past year, which is insane to consider how deep we were there even at the end of Sonny's time.
bear2034
We good, next man up.
MoragaBear
Staff
Kinderhook said:

The interview was a few weeks ago. He's had problems arise since then that played a role in the transfer.

He was unhappy early last season that his nagging injuries and lack of effort cost him playing time but then he developed another injury that kept him off the field for real and reportedly did a 180 and was working hard and bought back in.

Too bad that got derailed.
KenBurnski
What happened between the time he bought back in and decided to transfer?
ducky23
Well if there's one position we can afford to lose some depth.....

kad02002
Too bad things couldn't work out. That guy was a serious playmaker with a skill set that is hard to find.
FloriDreaming
Alkiadt said:

grrrah76 said:

Yep. I take that for "Cal sucked and continues to suck." This along with Tre should put to rest the delusions this coaching regime is any different than the others before. In the end they're all still Cal coaches, and it's the "Cal" part that ensures the football program will always suck.

Going on 70 years of same ol Cal and same ol suck.
Bobodeluxe
I read somewhere that he Melqed the system.
calumnus
packawana said:

Can anyone shed any light on this? Is it this a 'best for all parties' sort of thing or are we losing out?

On a side note, I have to say that our WR depth has really taken a hit this past year, which is insane to consider how deep we were there even at the end of Sonny's time.

We have two guys on basketball scholarships no longer on the team maybe they can catch footballs?
dajo9
Uthaithani said:

Alkiadt said:

grrrah76 said:

Yep. I take that for "Cal sucked and continues to suck." This along with Tre should put to rest the delusions this coaching regime is any different than the others before. In the end they're all still Cal coaches, and it's the "Cal" part that ensures the football program will always suck.

Then why are you here?
American Vermin
beartothebone
Because he's an obnoxious ******wad that likes to occasionally enlighten us simpletons with his pearls of drivel.
NVBear78
Uthaithani said:

Alkiadt said:

grrrah76 said:

Please go to some practices and games. This staff is great, the kids play their hearts out and we are going to a bowl next year!
TheSouseFamily
beartothebone said:

Because he's an obnoxious ******wad that likes to occasionally enlighten us simpletons with his pearls of drivel.

Trying to think of a six letter obscenity that goes with wad and I can't think of one.
hotlanta
I knew something wasn't right last year. Not surprised. At least we're deep at wide receiver. Best wishes to this young man. Just don't return to the PAC-12.
OneKeg
TheSouseFamily said:

beartothebone said:

Trying to think of a six letter obscenity that goes with wad and I can't think of one.
Not that I agree with the insult - I'm cool with all parties here. Life's too short to start getting overly bitter about sports. But I think the censored word starts with a "d", ends with a "che" and has a "ou" in the middle. Not really sure why BI censors it.

The funny thing is when I quoted your quote of him, it actually uncensored the word inside the quoted quote while in edit mode, confirming what I already thought was the word used.

As for Stovall, he is a talent and we'll miss him. Thankfully at the slot, we still have Noa, Hawkins, Bankhead, maybe Remiggio (sp?). But in general we need to have a good offensive year so we can recruit some studs at WR (hopefully ones that more aligned with Cal and the coaching staff). QB too.

GivemTheAxe
concernedparent said:

. Agree a player may transfer from one 4-year college to another 4-year college to get more playing time or to get a better coach for his position or to be closer to home or to get better exposure for the NFL.
But he doesn't transfer to a JC unless he is having academy c issues.
Rbears
Why is everyone so upset about this? He was injured his whole sophomore year, and if he was so good then why did he transfer multiple levels down? Cal has plenty of reviewing depth, it will be fine
nwbear84
He was suspended from the program for conduct detrimental to the team so he probably wasn't going to play anyway since he couldn't get his act together. Besides, why reward someone who can't look a gift horse in the mouth. Let him go. Hopefully, for his sake, he learns from this and does better down the road. A tough lesson, but I'm glad the coaching staff drew a hard line. Good for them.
71Bear
GivemTheAxe said:

concernedparent said:

. Agree a player may transfer from one 4-year college to another 4-year college to get more playing time or to get a better coach for his position or to be closer to home or to get better exposure for the NFL.
But he doesn't transfer to a JC unless he is having academy c issues.
Absolutely false....

Not having to sit out a year is the primary reason.....
Blueblood
dajo9 said:

Uthaithani said:

Alkiadt said:

grrrah76 said:

Then why are you here?
The stranger question is why are you here, duhjo?
CalBarn
OneKeg said:

TheSouseFamily said:

beartothebone said:

Not that I agree with the insult - I'm cool with all parties here. Life's too short to start getting overly bitter about sports. But I think the censored word starts with a "d", ends with a "che" and has a "ou" in the middle. Not really sure why BI censors it.

The funny thing is when I quoted your quote of him, it actually uncensored the word inside the quoted quote while in edit mode, confirming what I already thought was the word used.

As for Stovall, he is a talent and we'll miss him. Thankfully at the slot, we still have Noa, Hawkins, Bankhead, maybe Remiggio (sp?). But in general we need to have a good offensive year so we can recruit some studs at WR (hopefully ones that more aligned with Cal and the coaching staff). QB too.

Right you are! Sometime soon we need to start winning some recruiting battles for some stud skill players on offense. I know people are excited about our O-line recruits but we simply won't do much without better athletes at the skill positions. I am hoping like crazy JW can be the guy at Cal and allay my fears about hiring a defensive guy as head coach. We won't be much better off than we were with Dykes if we lose games with scores like
21-10 or 24-17 instead of 51-45 or 42-38......except we'll just be more boring. I've been hearing about how great this staff is supposed to be in recruiting. I just hope they start showing it on the offensive side of the ball. Some say you have to win first before you can recruit, but that's like a Catch-22.....we aren't going to win much without the talent. You have to be great at what you do (coaching) and great at convincing young men that you CAN build a program. They can't just look at us and think, "All they know and emphasize is defense." It can be done. We have an excellent example right across the Bay. I know he's hated here, but when Harbaugh showed up at Stanford they were in desperate, dire straits......and he was able to build and grow a great program there despite years of little success and lack of talent. If JW is really the guy he needs to start winning some of these battles and he needs to start winning them right away. Otherwise we face 2-3-4 more mediocre years and we'll have to start all over again. Don't get me wrong......I am pulling like mad for JW to succeed. I don't want to go through these wasted cycles again and again and then start from scratch.. Somehow our coaching staff needs to start attracting better skill players to Cal and convince them we will be a serious player. Come on, JW, we're pulling for you! Go Bears!!
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.