OT. Furd Professor in the news for not so good reasons

13,214 Views | 87 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by bearister
KenBurnski
How long do you want to ignore this user?
BearlyCareAnymore
GMP said:

OaktownBear said:

okaydo said:

bearister said:

Now gentrification is about racism and not economics?

What, are you trying to say gentrification has nothing to do with race?

https://www.sfchronicle.com/news/article/In-Oakland-this-is-gentrification-when-it-knocks-12845917.php

https://www.theroot.com/the-white-people-are-coming-6-signs-your-neighborhood-1803819806

I have to say that this demonstrates how complicated race issues can be. White people used to (justifiably) be criticized for moving out of neighborhoods when Black people moved in. Now a new generation of White people want to move into some of the same neighborhoods, and new conditions create a different response.

I find some of the language around this troubling. The section you cited about differing use of the police is a very good point. But "The White People Are Coming"? C'mon man. We can be better than that.

I sympathize with the frustration of Blacks and I fully recognize that all prejudice does not injure equally. But that kind of crap just makes many White people feel justified in responding with their own prejudice.

I thought the woman in the video made an eloquent statement of the challenges faced by changing demographics in her community without sounding an exclusionary tone.

I don't disagree that some white people will read a headline like "the white people are coming" and use it to justify their own prejudice. But the article is actually pretty funny. For example:

Quote:

The changing food landscape is the easiest way to tell when the whites are coming. A recent Johns Hopkins study on "food deserts" showed that minority neighborhoods often lack well-stocked grocery stores, leaving poor areas with fewer food options, many of which are higher-priced and unhealthy.

White people can't live like this. Before they arrive in droves, they must make sure that they can get their gluten-free, vegan, farm-raised, free-range, organic couscous. Gentrification is usually prefaced by the arrival of healthy options and grocery stores with 29 varieties of tomatoes. If you ever spot a sign that says "Whole Foods Coming to This Location"beware.
Quote:

Remember the little Jamaican restaurant where you used to get jerk chicken? Because they were out of oxtails. Because they were always out of oxtails. Because you think they keep oxtails on the menu to lure you in in the same way that McDonald's keeps McFlurrys on the menu but the machine is always broken. Is the oxtails machine broken? Do you have to come at 6 a.m. to get oxtails? Never mind ... you'll just have the jerk chicken. Again.

That Jamaican restaurant is now a Subway. Your barbershop is now a Starbucks. The beauty-supply store where you bought your weave and hair gel is now a Starbucks. In fact, everything is now a Starbucks, because if there's one thing wypipo love more than bragging how they got their jeans from a thrift shop, watching This Is Us, uncoordinated writhing to guitar solos and white supremacy, it's Starbucks.

Quote:

The last step in recognizing Caucasian colonization is the rise in what is referred to in black America as "wypipo *****" If a basketball court is replaced by a dog park, that's wypipo ***** When was the last time a dog got a college scholarship or played his way out of a rough neighborhood? And if you bring up Air Bud, we might have to fight, because he went straight to the pros. Plus, he was a terrible rebounder and his 3-point jumper was trash.

If your neighbor knocks on your door and asks if you "don't mind keeping it down between the hours of 3 p.m. and 1 a.m." because that's when she's meditating and doing yoga, that's wypipo ***** If you notice your corner store stops selling Black & Milds and 40s, but suddenly has SPF 201 sunscreen and microbrewery IPAs, that's wypipo ***** If no one shows up at the Black Lives Matter march, but some white lady in Birkenstocks stops you in front of the Whole Foods to ask you to sign a petition to erase the neighborhood mural of Tupac and Biggie because their misogynistic lyrics might "trigger" someone and she wants the neighborhood to be a safe space, don't punch her. You know the cops are somewhere near, and you know it's too late to stop the white people from coming, anyway ...

Personally, I find it offensive, racist bullshyte.
bearister
But I thought the good Dr. Edwards said by definition the oppressed group can't be racist.
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
okaydo
OaktownBear said:

GMP said:

OaktownBear said:

okaydo said:

bearister said:

https://www.sfchronicle.com/news/article/In-Oakland-this-is-gentrification-when-it-knocks-12845917.php

https://www.theroot.com/the-white-people-are-coming-6-signs-your-neighborhood-1803819806

I have to say that this demonstrates how complicated race issues can be. White people used to (justifiably) be criticized for moving out of neighborhoods when Black people moved in. Now a new generation of White people want to move into some of the same neighborhoods, and new conditions create a different response.

I find some of the language around this troubling. The section you cited about differing use of the police is a very good point. But "The White People Are Coming"? C'mon man. We can be better than that.

I sympathize with the frustration of Blacks and I fully recognize that all prejudice does not injure equally. But that kind of crap just makes many White people feel justified in responding with their own prejudice.

I thought the woman in the video made an eloquent statement of the challenges faced by changing demographics in her community without sounding an exclusionary tone.

I don't disagree that some white people will read a headline like "the white people are coming" and use it to justify their own prejudice. But the article is actually pretty funny. For example:

Quote:

The changing food landscape is the easiest way to tell when the whites are coming. A recent Johns Hopkins study on "food deserts" showed that minority neighborhoods often lack well-stocked grocery stores, leaving poor areas with fewer food options, many of which are higher-priced and unhealthy.

White people can't live like this. Before they arrive in droves, they must make sure that they can get their gluten-free, vegan, farm-raised, free-range, organic couscous. Gentrification is usually prefaced by the arrival of healthy options and grocery stores with 29 varieties of tomatoes. If you ever spot a sign that says "Whole Foods Coming to This Location"beware.
Quote:

Remember the little Jamaican restaurant where you used to get jerk chicken? Because they were out of oxtails. Because they were always out of oxtails. Because you think they keep oxtails on the menu to lure you in in the same way that McDonald's keeps McFlurrys on the menu but the machine is always broken. Is the oxtails machine broken? Do you have to come at 6 a.m. to get oxtails? Never mind ... you'll just have the jerk chicken. Again.

That Jamaican restaurant is now a Subway. Your barbershop is now a Starbucks. The beauty-supply store where you bought your weave and hair gel is now a Starbucks. In fact, everything is now a Starbucks, because if there's one thing wypipo love more than bragging how they got their jeans from a thrift shop, watching This Is Us, uncoordinated writhing to guitar solos and white supremacy, it's Starbucks.

Quote:

The last step in recognizing Caucasian colonization is the rise in what is referred to in black America as "wypipo *****" If a basketball court is replaced by a dog park, that's wypipo ***** When was the last time a dog got a college scholarship or played his way out of a rough neighborhood? And if you bring up Air Bud, we might have to fight, because he went straight to the pros. Plus, he was a terrible rebounder and his 3-point jumper was trash.

If your neighbor knocks on your door and asks if you "don't mind keeping it down between the hours of 3 p.m. and 1 a.m." because that's when she's meditating and doing yoga, that's wypipo ***** If you notice your corner store stops selling Black & Milds and 40s, but suddenly has SPF 201 sunscreen and microbrewery IPAs, that's wypipo ***** If no one shows up at the Black Lives Matter march, but some white lady in Birkenstocks stops you in front of the Whole Foods to ask you to sign a petition to erase the neighborhood mural of Tupac and Biggie because their misogynistic lyrics might "trigger" someone and she wants the neighborhood to be a safe space, don't punch her. You know the cops are somewhere near, and you know it's too late to stop the white people from coming, anyway ...

Do you find Chris Rock and Dave Chappelle racist and offensive when they joke about white people? Just asking.
Another Bear
bearister said:

I'm not going to get into the argument regarding the link between economic inequality and racism. But I assume we can all agree that if a white landlord can get 10 times the monthly rent from a well to do black family than from a poor white family, the white family GONE! That is the root of my post linking gentrification to economics.
So it's MONEY talks and bullsh&t walks?
bearister
okaydo said:

...Do you find Chris Rock and Dave Chappelle racist and offensive when they joke about white people? Just asking.

It may be racist but it makes me laugh so I'm not offended. Is it racist if it's true? Their reflections on certain whites are only funny because they are accurate. Chappelle's impression of white people talking makes me laugh so hard I can't breath. His skits on Comedy Central were brilliant. Both comedians also make fun of black people too.
okaydo
For those of you unfamiliar with The Root:

https://www.theroot.com/not-all-white-people-a-definitive-disclaimer-1825835641

More from the "white people" tag -- as in, no they don't just write about white people:

bearister
I've only ever cared if my parents, siblings, wife and kids are proud of me. Anyone else who says it is just being patronizing and in my book has no standing.
Another Bear
So what would happen if this situation were reversed somehow. Let's say a popular park or public space in a comfortable mostly white community, like Lamorinda. Or make it the fairly diverse hipster crowd that hangs at Dolores Park on the weekends.

People are grilling, having fun with family and friends and an African American guy comes up and says you can't grill there. It's only for gas grills, then calls 911. Makes a mountain out of a molehill.

How do you think the crowd in Lamorinda or Dolores Park would respond?
okaydo
Nevermind. I'm convinced. The decline in the number of black people in Oakland and Richmond has nothing to do with race. Also that those cities became large black population centers had nothing to do with race, either.
Another Bear
okaydo said:

Nevermind. I'm convinced. The decline in the number of black people in Oakland and Richmond has nothing to do with race. Also that those cities became large black population centers had nothing to do with race, either.
Dude, you've hurt a lot of feeling here...keep it up. If people are uncomfortable and reactionary, frankly that's their problem so don't sweat it.
bearister
Another Bear said:

So what would happen if this situation were reversed somehow. Let's say a popular park or public space in a comfortable mostly white community, like Lamorinda. Or make it the fairly diverse hipster crowd that hangs at Dolores Park on the weekends.

People are grilling, having fun with family and friends and an African American guy comes up and says you can't grill there. It's only for gas grills, then calls 911. Makes a mountain out of a molehill.

In that scenario the Orinda police show up and put 50 rounds in the guy who made the call and the white people sign a petition to rescind the ordinance banning charcoal.
calumnus
bearister said:

Another Bear said:

In that scenario the Orinda police show up and put 50 rounds in the guy who made the call and the white people sign a petition to rescind the ordinance banning charcoal.

Yeah, I was thinking the same. Stuff like this actually happens:
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/king-black-man-shot-cops-calling-report-robbery-article-1.2762748
sycasey
OaktownBear said:

It is amazing to me also for a resident of Oakland to think the police are going to do anything about illegal barbecuing. Not going to happen. Some places, maybe. Oakland? No. They don't have the manpower for that crap.
I used to live in that neighborhood (about two years ago) and people barbecue there all the time. Like pretty much every weekend. Not sure if it was always charcoal grilling, but it had to be pretty common. It was at the height of arrogance for that woman to expect the police to bother with that.
sycasey
okaydo said:

OaktownBear said:

GMP said:

OaktownBear said:

okaydo said:

bearister said:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Do you find Chris Rock and Dave Chappelle racist and offensive when they joke about white people? Just asking.
That's specifically in a context where people are expecting jokes, though. You go to a comedy show and you expect to get made fun of.

In this thread I might have thought twice about posting something from The Root. I think that stuff can be funny in the right context, but here where we're trying to actively discuss this woman's motives it might not come off in the right way. Clearly for some folks it didn't.

(I also think it might be irresponsible to post the name of the woman who people "think" might be the one who called the cops in the video. Sure, it looks like her, but there's no real confirmation from a reputable source on that. And if it's not her, then this poor Shulte woman has been harassed for nothing.)
sosheezy
Made my own contribution to the meme- with a Cal twist...
GivemTheAxe
okaydo said:

I assume that your comments were made in jest. The causes of the two phenomena were different.
As for Oakland and Richmond becoming predominantly black in the late 60's and 70's IMO the cause was primarily "white flight". Race was the direct cause of this phenomenon.

As for the reverse trend in recent years it's due to the economy driving up rents and RE values. Many blacks who owned homes in newly affluent areas decided to cash in on the increased value of their homes. Those that did not own homes and did not have high paying jobs (a large section of the Black populace) could no longer afford the rising rents. Race was an indirect partial cause of this phenomenon since Blacks have not shared equally with whites in the Bay Area's rising wages.
GivemTheAxe
bearister said:

I've only ever cared if my parents, siblings, wife and kids are proud of me. Anyone else who says it is just being patronizing and in my book has no standing.

As a person of color I disagree.
I am a Cal grad with 3 degrees from Cal and a practicing lawyer. But I am also a dark skinned Latino. Whenever I walk into a restaurant or upscale store or meet a police officer they do not see my 3 Cal degrees nor my law license. They see a dark skinned Latino.
Their view of me are colored by their views and preconceptions of dark skinned Latinos.
Therefore when I read about some person being arrested for some crime committed in my neighborhood I think "please don't let the evil doer be a Latino." When I hear of some Latino winning positive public recognition, I am doubly happy for him or her because of the minor benefit created for the Latino image.
(That said I can honestly say that whenever I am at a Cal athletic event wearing my Cal gear I don't feel that I am being viewed as a dark skinned Latino. Instead I feel I am viewed as a fellow Cal fan. For that I thank Cal and the Cal students and alums. Now if only the whole world could be made up of Cal fans, we might get beyond this Race thing.)
bearister
My post was in response to a statement in that blog making fun of white people that basically said that if you are not a white arsehole "we are proud of you." That statement was made in a snarky way and intended to be so. I treat everybody the way I want to be treated. If you appreciate that I am glad but if you say you are proud of me than go f yourself.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.