story on Cal football at The Athletic

2,624 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by okaydo
CalBear84
How long do you want to ignore this user?
https://theathletic.com/348730/2018/05/15/cal-football-season-preview-depth-chart-schedule/?campaign_type=branded-content&campaign_id=MichaelWeinreb&source=fbadsbc

A story about Cal football. Anyone want to give a synopsis? I don't have a subscription
71Bear
CalBear84 said:

https://theathletic.com/348730/2018/05/15/cal-football-season-preview-depth-chart-schedule/?campaign_type=branded-content&campaign_id=MichaelWeinreb&source=fbadsbc

A story about Cal football. Anyone want to give a synopsis? I don't have a subscription
It was a good summary of what to expect this fall. This focus was on the upgrades on defensive side of the ball and whether Bowers can improve upon his 2017 performance. There was not a lot of stuff Bear fans don't know. However, for those from other parts of the country, it was a fair assessment.

They are putting together summaries for every P5 school and the top non-P5 teams. It is a great series for those of us who are college football fans (not just fans of the Bears). The Athletic is the best source of college sports news, especially now that they have both Stewart Mandel and Bruce Feldman working there.
CalBear84
Thanks!
philbert
Love my subscription to the Athletic. So much high quality content to read.
71Bear
philbert said:

Love my subscription to the Athletic. So much high quality content to read.
I agree. It is well worth the subscription rate. Top level journalists and no ads, videos or clickbait.......
okaydo
CalBear84 said:

The Athletic is great. That story, though, was kind of underwhelming. Nothing really that insightful, except perhaps the QB battle (Bowers welcomes the competition).

Speaking of which:

AunBear89
Stewart Mandel and Bruce Feldman also host a college football podcast (The Audible with Stew and Bruce) that is worth a listen. They often talk about P12 (and even occasionally Cal) football. They are generally positive about the direction and progress of Wilcox.

Both are now California guys - Feldman lives in SoCal and Mandel is here in Silicon Valley, so they bring a refreshing West Coast perspective to the national college football conversation.
okaydo
AunBear89 said:

Stewart Mandel and Bruce Feldman also host a college football podcast (The Audible with Stew and Bruce) that is worth a listen. They often talk about P12 (and even occasionally Cal) football. They are generally positive about the direction and progress of Wilcox.

Both are now California guys - Feldman lives in SoCal and Mandel is here in Silicon Valley, so they bring a refreshing West Coast perspective to the national college football conversation.

Feldman lives in Manhattan Beach, which for some reason is where a lot of sports media and sports people and former UCLA QBs who play for the Cardinals live.

I subscribe to about 25 podcasts. I rarely listen to any of them (but I try to).

But I always listen to Stewart and Bruce's podcast, even though I'm really not that interested in college football. It's always been good.
Oski87
It is interesting that the only site I generally go to now are the subscription sites - BI, athletic, WSJ and NYT, economist.

I am glad the paywalls are going up. "Free internet" means lack of depth of understanding and pursuing an agenda.
Bear8
okaydo said:

AunBear89 said:

Feldman lives in Manhattan Beach, which for some reason is where a lot of sports media and sports people and former UCLA QBs who play for the Cardinals live.

I subscribe to about 25 podcasts. I rarely listen to any of them (but I try to).

But I always listen to Stewart and Bruce's podcast, even though I'm really not that interested in college football. It's always been good.
You are "...really not that interested in college football" What!!!! Why are you on this site? We don't discuss the machinations of Donald Trump here. It's all about college football. And, by the way, I enjoy all the little tidbits you come up with on a daily basis.
okaydo
Bear8 said:

okaydo said:

AunBear89 said:

You are "...really not that interested in college football" What!!!! Why are you on this site? We don't discuss the machinations of Donald Trump here. It's all about college football. And, by the way, I enjoy all the little tidbits you come up with on a daily basis.
Of course I'm into college football. But Stew and Bruce go really in-depth into naming players on each team, and assistant coaches, not just the QBs. I really don't care that much about details. I really didn't know that many of the players in the draft (other than the QBs, obviously.

I'm more of an NFL person, probably because it's smaller.

I still like college football...but the things I'm really interested in are the bigger storylines.

Just like on this board -- sure, I like Cal football. But I honestly don't care about potential recruits. I never click on the threads with (random name here) maybe potentially interested in coming to Cal.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.